• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Fox318

For WM18 Vince really didn't have anything better for Austin other then going against Nash and Scott?

I think the original plan was Hogan vs Austin but Austin didn't want to work with Hogan after all the WCW shit.

Rock knew Hogan from when his father worked out with him so he was probably more likely to not resent working with him.

rrc1594

I think all that sped up him wanting to leave. Not just Brock stuff.

this was soon after

220px-SummerSlam_2002.jpg

Not a fan of how Austin was used after WM17 was he losing his pop?

jmdajr

Not a fan of how Austin was used after WM17 was he losing his pop?

The whole heel turn was at first just a total disaster. Then comedy Austin became fucking legendary. I am sure he was also dealing with neck issues. But the whole card at the time was just fucking stacked.

I think all that sped up him wanting to leave. Not just Brock stuff.

this was soon after

220px-SummerSlam_2002.jpg
I mean why wouldn't you save Brock v Austin for the final round of the tournament? There was history with Rock, Austin, and Taker within the last year for Austin so they easily could've teased Austin possibly facing one of them at SS. But you have a new beast in the company who is hungry and wants to be where Austin was! They were stupid for thinking Austin wanted to job on Raw when it's a clear cut ppv money match.

bjork

I mean why wouldn't you save Brock v Austin for the final round of the tournament? There was history with Rock, Austin, and Taker within the last year for Austin so they easily could've teased Austin possibly facing one of them at SS. But you have a new beast in the company who is hungry and wants to be where Austin was! They were stupid for thinking Austin wanted to job on Raw when it's a clear cut ppv money match.

But if he did job on raw, think about what the rematch would've been like. How is Austin going to get his revenge on this gigantic person?

He already got them before Raw went off the air. And he does.
Unless his promo celebrating it next week involves Triple H taking the talk-time (which probably will happen), I figure they'll repeat them.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but to me it's a chant that loses it's meaning every time it happens.

But if he did job on raw, think about what the rematch would've been like. How is Austin going to get his revenge on this gigantic person?
I don't even think they thought it that, probably weren't even thinking of it. Before Austin walked out, you still had Vince & Flair with they 50-50 control thing but as soon as they found out he was out, they wrapped up the storyline abruptly.

Lothar

Banned
"David Arquette was more over than Kevin Owens will ever be."

- Today's Vince Russo podcast

OP, please add Russo's picture to the list of shooters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, my Stardom subscription has absolutely paid for itself. I've been loving what they have on there. Just wish there was more discussion about it here. Waaaah.

Kris Wolf has a bright future.

Man, my Stardom subscription has absolutely paid for itself. I've been loving what they have on there. Just wish there was more discussion about it here. Waaaah.

Kris Wolf has a bright future.

It's next on my to-do list I never get to, though no Chromecast or App support is going to make it hard.

Raw64life

How was it? Im thinking about going to a show when I go to japan.

It was great. Definitely preferred sitting in a Japanese crowd to the typical American crowds. I was hugely disappointed when I found out the Tana/Omega ladder match wasn't gonna happen and Tana was being replaced by Elgin, who I'm not high on at all, but the match ended up being great.

Kaladin

How would you guys rate Vince as a commentator? He's no Jim Ross, but I feel like he's very underrated and he knew how to carry the broadcast. On a good day, he could keep you interested in even the most mundane jobber matches. I feel like his value is underrated because he was followed by one of the best announce teams in all of wrestling. Going back though and watching those years he called Raw, he was pretty damn good.

...yes? KO has been on on top of drawing house show cards, NXT tours/PPVs (like last year's Takeover: Brooklyn which sold out) and European circuits.
I don't believe it. Russo is right, he's responsible for the biggest period ever. He knows who is and isn't over. I SWARE TO GAHD!

bjork

How would you guys rate Vince as a commentator? He's no Jim Ross, but I feel like he's very underrated and he knew how to carry the broadcast. On a good day, he could keep you interested in even the most mundane jobber matches. I feel like his value is underrated because he was followed by one of the best announce teams in all of wrestling. Going back though and watching those years he called Raw, he was pretty damn good.

I liked that he could mix in a little bit of joking around, a little plug for a PPV or some other match, but still call the match and get in his "one two he got him" thing a time or two each show. It makes sense that the guy setting all the stuff up would actually sound engaged with the product, which is something a lot of people after him can't do or just don't do.

Heroman

Banned
It was great. Definitely preferred sitting in a Japanese crowd to the typical American crowds. I was hugely disappointed when I found out the Tana/Omega ladder match wasn't gonna happen and Tana was being replaced by Elgin, who I'm not high on at all, but the match ended up being great.
How was much did you end up paying for it?

He never sounded genuine. Had an annoying habit of compressing his voice when he was supposed to be loud. I am sort of nostalgic for some of his calls I suppose.

Sephzilla

Vince McMahon was not a very good commentator mostly because he sounded so goddamn artificial when it came to being excited. Like, I totally understand trying to put over talent. But when Man Mountain Rock is playing guitar after a match and McMahon is acting like he's watching Jesus Christ have a jam session with Jimi Hendrix it loses any sense of authenticity and it comes across so blatantly as a promoter trying to get a talent over. Vince on commentary needed to learn that sometimes less is more.

orioto

Good Art™
Russo would say those are just internet nimrods in the crowd. He said today that casual fans would look at Kevin Owens and go "who is that?" The casual audience knew who David Arquette was.

It can be said for everyone in the roster anyway...

Sephzilla

I think it's hilarious that Vince Russo, in the year of our lord 2016, still thinks David Arquette as World Champion was a good decision despite basically everyone in and out of the business all saying it was an awful idea.

Kaladin

He never sounded genuine. Had an annoying habit of compressing his voice when he was supposed to be loud. I am sort of nostalgic for some of his calls I suppose.

He had a voice he did for commentary. It was very put on, but you could tell that listening to him and especially knowing how he talks elsewhere.

Vince McMahon was not a very good commentator mostly because he sounded so goddamn artificial when it came to being excited. Like, I totally understand trying to put over talent. But when Man Mountain Rock is playing guitar after a match and McMahon is acting like he's watching Jesus Christ have a jam session with Jimi Hendrix it loses any sense of authenticity and it comes across so blatantly as a promoter trying to get a talent over. Vince on commentary needed to learn that sometimes less is more.

He did have a tendency to do that, but dammit....he tried at least. I'd rather have a commentator try to oversell something than to not sell it at all.

klonere

Banned
Russo would say those are just internet nimrods in the crowd. He said today that casual fans would look at Kevin Owens and go "who is that?" The casual audience knew who David Arquette was.

Not that the comparison even works anymore due to how the business is structured but KO has 100% drawn more money on top of cards in the WWE than Arquette did in WCW. You can even caveat that by cutting it to only the amount of appearances Arquette ever made in WCW vs the same amount of appearances for KO.

bjork

Look man, hulk went to WCW. I gotta get these idiots to cheer someone, so when he plays I'm gonna go "HA-HA-HAA!" and yes it's fake but let me let you in on a secret:

SO IS WRESTLING

please order In Your House

edit new page

tumblr_nom43j4ECK1srbyoyo1_250.gif

Top Bottom