• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida apologises for "atrocious" gamescom stream camera work

These things happens, though the best thing to come out of a Sony conference was
translator-san_design.png

No, the cameraman was equally terrible.

What the hell do you want them to do? Logic dictates the shot should be direct feed for a large portion of it.

And, again, any shots you see from the cameramen are dictated by the floor director. They are there to facilitate. That is all.

Jib stuff was fine, just used too often. Director was probably new to conferences. I highly suspect he blew a switch call when that extensive zoom stuff happened. No cameramen will make moves like that under any circumstances if they know their shot is hot, unless something went horribly horribly wrong.

What about his or her awful zooming?

EDIT: As shown in the GIF above!
I think someone already said this was likely a miscommunication problem. And the director likely comes from the TV industry and has no clue about videogames. Just hire someone else next time.

neo2046

Most annoying Camera switching ever. Who fucking cares about seeing the stage during a trailer? :/

Fire that director !
that is the most annoying game conference I have ever seen
not because of the contents nor the presentation, just because of the camera !

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The switching between trailers and some fucked up view of the place/people was nerve wracking. Whoever was in charge of coordinating the cameras needs to get banned from editing rooms for life.

I think someone already said this was likely a miscommunication problem. And the director likely comes from the TV industry and has no clue about videogames. Just hire someone else next time.

It doesn't need to be that complicated though. Camera on stage, wide angle to get stage and screens and direct feed. Give the director 3 buttons to push. If a trailer or gameplay is shown DIRECT FEED!!!

Making a mountain out of a ant hill here people.

I dislike Internet hyperbole just as much as anyone but it really was that bad. Constant switching for the entire conference. Many times they'd be showing gameplay for a new game and it was zoomed out. This happened in the Indie games part especially because each game only got like 5-10 seconds to show gameplay. That must suck for those devs. Really bad.

WHAT?!

I heard about the G4 stuff from Sessler's Twitter feed during the Gamescom thing, but really? That can't be right. That's like Heidi levels of stupidity

If I remember right you actually heard Adam say something like "You guys enjoying this?" right before it cut too. Now that I think about it they also did it for the Mass Effect trailer too, had a choppy stream going to switch to when they cut.

I'm guessing that quick zoom in was the camera guy refocusing his shot. The vision mixer really should have cut to something else and the camera guy shouldn't have gone for it before he was given the okay. Poor communication, I guess.

I'm glad they've learnt their lesson. No more crowd shots during gameplay and trailers.

More proof that Yoshida actually DOES read his Twitter... LOL

I know I complained. Although I complained much more about the director cutting to all those crowd shots in the middle of game video. That was FAR worse.

This same crap happened at the past few E3s too, especially the most recent one. I'm surprised it happened again at Gamescom, and I'd even say this camerawork was probably the worst so far for a game press conference. Hell, I've seen shaky audience camera footage that provided a clearer picture of the action that was going on. Hopefully it's fixed for future shows, good to see they're aware of it finally.
I'd say it was the worst live camera work I have ever seen!

RPGCrazied

Glad he brought it up. Whats the point of showing the crowd? Then when a trailer shows up, it fullscreens, only for the camera to zoom out on the room again. How are we suppose to see the game trailer when the screen is so far away? If it was automated, thats one thing, fix it for next time. If a guy/team was responsible for that, I say its time for a firing or at least go back to camera college.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What, only an apology? No cut-off head of the director?

Preorder canceled.

It was really fucking awful. Shit like that is unacceptable. Gaming is big business so having some amatuer fucker behind the lens or some numpty directing it all so badly up stairs is inexcusable.

If it was sport or a music event...well it would never happen. Sack the bastard responsible it annoyed me that much.

Kunan

It was amazing just how consistently awful it was the entire presentation. Constantly yanked me out of every thing they showed.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The camera panning out during trailers was really starting to piss me off. I couldn't see shit!

I'm not saying fire the guy.. but that motherfucker needs to have a talking to after that garbage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Cutting away from direct feed footage of trailers really was the worst part of it. I have no idea what would compel anyone to make that decision. I was complaining about this with a friend I was chatting with during the conference.

Terrible camera management in general.

Top Bottom