• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultrabum said:
I dunno, seemed kinda bleak, and not supposed to be funny, especially at the end...
Maybe they are sick of the show?

Yep, they're sick of the show and they think that doing the show has turned them into cynical assholes. Maybe they've got some kind of twist up their sleeves though.

guest1321

perfectchaos007 said:
Are you guys forgetting that they killed off Kenny for an entire season once? Maybe Stans mom will be gone for the rest of the season, but will anyone miss her?
I will miss Randy saying "Shar?" "Shar honey?"

I have come to find Randy to be one of the funnier characters in the show.

perfectchaos007 said:
We don't know where they moved. they sold the house, but that doesn't mean they moved out of town. *shrugs* at least we have something to speculate during mid-season. Thats all Matt and Trey wanted I think
Yep, this is a show where the cliffhanger of finding out Eric's dad's identity was resolved by the revelation that his mom was a hermaprodite and was also his dad

CassSept

Edit: OK well, I nearly cried watching South Park. It's been a part of my life for years now. Unless they set up this to be a joke, which I somehow doubt considering interviews with them before the beginning of the season, it really seems we are slowly reaching the end.
I've seen info of them signing contract throughout season 17, but it was only from a single source.
It will be sad to see it go, but we have to prepare we are indeed approaching the end of South Park.

I dunno, I felt that was quite a powerful episode. Will be interesting to see where they will take it now. The ending came completely out of nowhere.

parasight

Very sad but true episode. If this is the last season of South Park, I hope they go out guns blazing. They've been on a streak of great episodes lately.

polyh3dron said:
Yep, this is a show where the cliffhanger of finding out Eric's dad's identity was resolved by the revelation that his mom was a hermaprodite and was also his dad

But then it was revealed that Cartman was the son of Jack Tenorman in 201

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wenis said:
I hope this is the end...It just feels right for it to end now.

We would've heard something by now if they intended to end the show during what is otherwise the mid-season break.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
JaseC said:
We would've heard something by now if they intended to end the show during what is otherwise the mid-season break.

Maybe they want to end it, but Comedy Central is desperately trying to keep them, so while they do that they agreed to keep things hush hush for now before making any definitive statements.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wenis said:
Maybe they want to end it, but Comedy Central is desperately trying to keep them, so while they do that they agreed to keep things hush hush for now before making any definitive statements.

Possibly, but I think they'll finish off the season and then draw the proverbial curtain.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
MetalAlien said:
I have to admit, first thing that came to my mind.

..yeah me too, i just thought they were going to to watch Thor considering all the "this isnt the comic book movie I want to hit it big this summer" hate it gets on here, serious carry over hate from trailer expectations ...its like they read this board for that ep.

Averon

I found this post on /tv/. It's the best analysis of the episode, I think.
Randy represents Matt and Trey trying to reject the idea that the new generation is coming, and unfortunately, they're not part of it. They try to explain the degrading quality of their episodes with Randy trying to adapt to the new generation and failing, because all he ends up doing is shitting his pants on stage, and he doesn't "get" that the tween wave music doesn't actually sound like shit to the new generation. Basically with the Randy element of the episode, they're saying that Matt and Trey can no longer adapt to the new generation.

Sharon represents the viewers of the show who become outraged at the show becoming less entertaining and well-plotted or at least funny, and become even more angry when the show tries to adapt to the current generation (when she storms in on Randy's act). Randy (Matt and Trey) and Sharon (the viewers) realize that they can no longer see each other because over time, they've both changed (as per their conversation at the end).

Stan's story takes place for two reasons. To show (I think) that the show's coming to an end, as he is a vital character, and to explain that even though the viewers don't like the show anymore, it's no one's fault, it's inevitable to grow apart from the things you've once loved.

I've watched South Park since I was a kid, so I personally appreciate that they'd do this episode, and acknowledge the direction the show is taking, and that they'll end with some dignity to realize that fact and not continue for another 10 years and ruin themselves, just like the Simpsons did. It did make me sad to realize that personally I'm becoming Stan-like in that I don't even watch tv anymore because its not the same to me. The same goes for movies and just the world in general.

Edit: Yeah, I think SP is ending this Fall.

sruckus

The loss of South Park would be a big gap in my life. I love the show and look forward to it. I don't get it - plenty from my generation still watch South Park regularly and mention episodes. There's always gems in each season. If Family Guy can still be relevant not sure why South Park can't. Hope it continues...

remnant

Banned
A world without Southpark.

Wow, I think I might cry

Edit: Is southpark really out of touch though? I mean they have some weaker episodes, and then they have episodes like the facebook ep that just blow everyone away.

Enco

That was just a sad episode.

Hope this is all a temp thing and everything goes back to normal. I'm a sucker for happy endings. Especially in comedies!

CassSept

Just finished rewatching the end of the episode, damn. I can't grasp how this is happening. Might end up being one of my favorite episodes once I come to terms with it...

Also, I've had an idea, if South Park was indeed coming to an end later this year would people be up for rewatching the whole series? Like on a day by day basis or something. I know there is a lot of material, and there are stinkers every now and then (A Million Little Fibers, ugh) but if you could fit these twenty minutes a day into your schedule, would some be up for it?

remnant

Banned
CassSept said:
Just finished rewatching the end of the episode, damn. I can't grasp how this is happening. Might end up being one of my favorite episodes once I come to terms with it...

Also, I've had an idea, if South Park was indeed coming to an end later this year would people be up for rewatching the whole series? Like on a day by day basis or something. I know there is a lot of material, and there are stinkers every now and then (A Million Little Fibers, ugh) but if you could fit these twenty minutes a day into your schedule, would some be up for it?
Oh hell yes. I watch southpark studios randomly during the week. Having a daily southpark thread would be AAWWWEEESSSOOOMMMMEEE

I am kind of amused that this episode communicates the possible notion Matt and Trey are running out of steam, are exhausted, or what, while featuring a long preview of Duke Nukem Forever, a game that began development when this show was in its FIRST season.

I thought this was a great episode. I need to find the song that plays at the end.

Oreoleo

Gooster said:
I thought this was a great episode. I need to find the song that plays at the end.

Uhhh Landslide? Fleetwood Mac? They mention the song in the episode when "Steamie Nicks" shows up.

CassSept

Gooster said:
I am kind of amused that this episode communicates the possible notion Matt and Trey are running out of steam, are exhausted, or what, while featuring a long preview of Duke Nukem Forever, a game that began development when this show was in its FIRST season.

"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (nevermind the beginning of the video)

It was even mentioned when Randy was on scene by these guys that wanted to save the britches.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well I'm depressed. The fact that they let the song at the end continue when I thought it'd turn to shit halfway was gut wrenching.

Gooster said:
Stevie (not Steamy) Nicks - Landslide.

Yup.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
umop_3pisdn said:
Agreed. I don't really see there being a significant shift (status quo is god), but it's kind of surprising how poignant this show can be, considering.

Another scene I really liked was when
Kyle turned into shit, it oddly enough felt pretty true to life (friends growing apart, etc), but it was also pretty depressing, considering Stan probably can't find enjoyment in anything anymore
Actually I was seeing the two of them smiling like that as a hint of changing relationships in upcoming years, like
"remember when Stan moved away, and then we started hanging out more"

Q8D3vil

after watching this episode i wish the last episode was the final episode of south park, 80% of the episodes this season were pure garbage (probably all of them except 5 and 6).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think the first two episodes of this season were rough (though I didn't think Funnybot was terrible like Humancentipad). But all the other episodes I thought were very enjoyable.

CassSept said:

I'd be sure down for this. Good idea!

DarkKyo

What a shame.. they need to realize that they only started focusing mainly on pop culture in the last few seasons. They used to have so many original narratives every season before that with an episode or two about criticizing pop culture, or they'd just fit pop culture critique into their stories and not have the episode based purely around it. If they could only return to purely their own narratives like they did last episode with Butters and the City Wok guy.... *sigh*

Owzers

eravulgaris said:
Depressing episode. I'll stop being a cynical asshole, I promise!

That's how i kind of felt too but then i watched a trailer for Adam Sandler's " Just Go With It" and decided i can't do this. Selective Cynicism ahoy! I enjoy things that don't suck!

Tim-E

The show still has standout episodes, but I think it's best to draw it to a close now and I truly hope that this season is the final one. This episode was better and more effective than it likely had any right being. This, on top of a lot of the stuff Matt and Trey said in interviews while promoting Book of Mormon are strong indicators that they think the show is on it's way out.

Dechaios said:
What a shame.. they need to realize that they only started focusing mainly on pop culture in the last few seasons. They used to have so many original narratives every season before that with an episode or two about criticizing pop culture, or they'd just fit pop culture critique into their stories and not have the episode based purely around it. If they could only return to purely their own narratives like they did last episode with Butters and the City Wok guy.... *sigh*

They really were not dealing with pop culture though, but just how life is for everyone and always has been. The whole music sounding like shit thing has gone on for decades and applies to everything really as the show got into. People grow up, people change, what they used to like changes and turns to shit. The show was not trying to shit on current music.

sillymonkey321 said:
That's how i kind of felt too but then i watched a trailer for Adam Sandler's " Just Go With It" and decided i can't do this. Selective Cynicism ahoy! I enjoy things that don't suck!

Hmm. I guess I could still be a selective cynical too.

DarkKyo

BattleMonkey said:
They really were not dealing with pop culture though, but just how life is for everyone and always has been. The whole music sounding like shit thing has gone on for decades and applies to everything really as the show got into. People grow up, people change, what they used to like changes and turns to shit. The show was not trying to shit on current music.
They are tired of being so negative about everything, though. That's why Stan was labeled a "cynical asshole". What I was saying is maybe they wouldn't be so tired of producing the show if they hadn't gotten into a rut/formula of shitting on something pop-culture related every week. If they could do more original narrative-based episodes like Awesome-O or Super Fun Time, which are totally lacking in negativity and tired references, maybe they would see more value and life in continuing the show at this point. My guess is they ran out of steam and ideas.

Dechaios said:
It isn't about the shift in focus; they are quite literally tired of doing the show. Read the first few pages before the season even started, the writing was on the wall and this shouldn't be the least bit surprising. The show has been running for 15 years and they want to expand their horizons, and with their success with The Book of Mormon they have the capability to.

DarkKyo

BamYouHaveAids said:
It isn't about the shift in focus; they are quite literally tired of doing the show. Read the first few pages before the season even started, the writing was on the wall and this shouldn't be the least bit surprising. The show has been running for 15 years and they want to expand their horizons, and with their success with The Book of Mormon they have the capability to.
Dude, I realize they are tired of the show, I get that. They said in the episode how each story they do is really the same formula with different topics. All I was saying is that it didn't used to be that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom