• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
Milabrega said:
This is Season 15 which started with Human Centipad on April 27th, so this is the mid season finale and then it returns in October for the full run.
Oh, I see. Well should be a good run then.

kaskade

CF_Fighter said:
This was just the mid-season finale. They still have 7 more fall episodes. they will either continue down this path, or in the fall have it all reset back to normal again much in the style we've come to expect from them.
That would be kind of funny. Have a really dramatic ending, but it'll make no difference.

DarkKyo

God I really hope the series ends on a positive note. That episode right there made it feel like the show was breaking up with me. :( I grew up on South Park.

JoseJX

Okay, kind of a dumb question seeing the response here, but maybe it was a bit more meta? Perhaps it was a giant troll, a depressing ending because we're all so jaded and cynical.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they wanted to troll the audiance, look at the Cartman's father episodes, where they wanted to end the season on the cliffhanger and never come back to it. This could easily be like that, only now they have enough creative control to do it without Comedy Central telling them they can't.

I bet they'll come back in October as if nothing has happened.

DarkKyo

JoseJX said:
Okay, kind of a dumb question seeing the response here, but maybe it was a bit more meta? Perhaps it was a giant troll, a depressing ending because we're all so jaded and cynical.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time they wanted to troll the audiance, look at the Cartman's father episodes, where they wanted to end the season on the cliffhanger and never come back to it. This could easily be like that, only now they have enough creative control to do it without Comedy Central telling them they can't.

I bet they'll come back in October as if nothing has happened.
They just seem to be running out of the steam needed to make fun of things. Tired of being so negative every week about something else. Back in the days of the episodes about Cartman trying to find out who his father was they were having a lot of fun with it. You can tell with the execution.. this was just depressing. Also, this from the synopsis of tonight's episode:

"When Stan and Kyle have a major blow up, the very fabric of South Park begins to unravel."

That 'begins' leads me to think that this is the start of the end, with there being an overarching story on the last half season.

Slurmer

Banned
Itd be weird for them to ignore stan's parents separating, but wouldn't surprise me. Theyve said on the mini-commentaries that they like to do something 'different' with midseason and season finales

Hobs

Neo Member
Haha damn I was waiting for a twist or something at the end, I was expecting something like last week's episode.

AiTM

Banned
Ending Reminded me of the first few seasons of the Simpsons where they would touch on different emotions and not afraid to be sad...really enjoyed it.

Pastry

Banned
Dechaios said:
God I really hope the series ends on a positive note. That episode right there made it feel like the show was breaking up with me. :( I grew up on South Park.
Yeah the ending of the episode made me feel pretty sad, I am 23 and have pretty much grown up with the show. It'll be sad to see it go, but I understand Matt an Trey must be pretty sick of it. I wonder what their next project will be.

trinest

It is possible- this is still the final signed on season right?

I would love a crazy 7 episode arc which sets up the seasons end.

scoobs

could be wrong here but the shows under contract thru season 17. U guys are overreacting lol. They tried to do something different and i thought it was awesome

trinest

scoobs said:
could be wrong here but the shows under contract thru season 17. U guys are overreacting lol. They tried to do something different and i thought it was awesome
They could nulifiy the contract if they really wanted to right?

What I'm saying- if they thought extending the contract was a bad idea- they could sabatage their own show.

DarkKyo

scoobs said:
On wiki it says they are under contract until the end of season 15(current season).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
maybe it me, but does anyone think this could be a reference to the dc soft reboot?

Wow. Great episode.

Is it me or have the episodes this season (as well as some in the last one) been unraveling and explaining the South Park universe (i.e. Cartman's parents, Kenny's death explained, multiple personality Asian man, Randy's antics called out, etc.) more so than other seasons? Off the top of my head, I can't really remember any of the older episodes exposing the characters like this. Definitely was not expecting to see the drastic change in tone at the end of this episode...

Also, were the old guys taking the underwear just a joke or is it actually going to have an impact? Because I think near the end of the episode, before the old guys were arrested, they were saying how they were going to save the marriage by stealing Randy's underwear, or something.

Nert

The most interesting piece of the ending for me was probably
Cartman and Kyle smiling at each other while playing games
. Unless that was just supposed to be a throwaway moment for that episode, it would imply that a significant shift in the core characters' relationships is taking place.

isny

napkin dispenser
Nert said:
. Unless that was just supposed to be a throwaway moment for that episode, it would imply that a significant shift in the core characters' relationships is taking place.

I figured this was just showing that they still enjoy playing games and are still kids. Wonder where Kenny was though, that would be the only reason I'd think your speculation would be more along the lines of what TPTB had in mind.

Nert said:

Agreed. I don't really see there being a significant shift (status quo is god), but it's kind of surprising how poignant this show can be, considering.

Another scene I really liked was when
Kyle turned into shit, it oddly enough felt pretty true to life (friends growing apart, etc), but it was also pretty depressing, considering Stan probably can't find enjoyment in anything anymore

zerotol

Banned
white dynamite said:
Also, were the old guys taking the underwear just a joke or is it actually going to have an impact? Because I think near the end of the episode, before the old guys were arrested, they were saying how they were going to save the marriage by stealing Randy's underwear, or something.

The old guy said that their only chance to rescue the britches was to sneak in and take them while Randy and Sharon were arguing

No idea what that was all about though.
maybe underpants gnomes?

zerotol said:
The old guy said that their only chance to rescue the britches was to sneak in and take them while Randy and Sharon were arguing

maybe underpants gnomes?

I swear I thought they said something about saving the marriage, but thinking about it now, I don't see how their characters would even know about Randy's marriage woes. Shit, I guess I must have misheard then.

It seems more like a reference to the underpants gnomes, now that you mention it.

zerotol said:

maybe underpants gnomes?

I thought it was just there to highlight the point Randy was making. "Same shit, it just gets more ridiculous" and as soon as he says that some old guys sneak into the house to save his britches form being shat in.

Are you guys forgetting that they killed off Kenny for an entire season once? Maybe Stans mom will be gone for the rest of the season, but will anyone miss her?

Brinbe

Goddamn, those last two minutes... Definitely not subtle and not unexpected. Loved it though, and can't wait till the next half of the season to see where Matt-Trey go from here.

Ultrabum

yeah, remember that episode where Cartman inherits $1,000,000 from his Grandma and buys an amusement park and Stan loses his faith in God... it was pretty dark until the end.

Maybe the punchline will just be at the start of the next episode?

Bo130

perfectchaos007 said:
Are you guys forgetting that they killed off Kenny for an entire season once? Maybe Stans mom will be gone for the rest of the season, but will anyone miss her?

But didn't they show Stan living with his mom? But besides that, I'm with you.

Bo130 said:

We don't know where they moved. they sold the house, but that doesn't mean they moved out of town. *shrugs* at least we have something to speculate during mid-season. Thats all Matt and Trey wanted I think

isny

napkin dispenser
Bo130 said:

They did. I'm sure we'll get a resolution in the next episode.

perfectchaos007 said:
We don't know where they moved. they sold the house, but that doesn't mean they moved out of town.

It shows him eating at the SP cafe during the montage after we see him move into his new house, so it's still in SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom