• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

Neff

I don't play Tekken anymore, but I wish there was an option to just have the default costume when someone uses those horrific looking custom characters.

Holy god this. There are some decent alt costumes but by and large it's a real drag playing against someone who looks like they walked out of The Sims.

Paltheos

Spy x Family collab event is out as of yesterday. I changed my titles to the 'waku waku eye'd' Anya (that unfortunately reads 'that's cool' instead of 'waku waku').

Finally decided to step back into ranked to finally shoot for Master. I think both my characters are actually that rank by now, but I'm starting with Ryu as he's easier on my hands. Gained 1000 points in an hour last night and slid right into Diamond 2 this afternoon with only a handful of losses since yesterday

I cut my session today short though. I fought one of those opponents: Dude who had sucked all the fun out of his play, by which I mean it was automated, yeah, but also prone to selecting heavy punish options regardless of the danger to himself, with only frames for me to bait them out before he returned to his set play (it was another Ryu, so very fast input Tatsus at mid-screen as I'm walking toward him and sweeps when my crouching model would twitch). Dude had allot more points than me so he knew at least not to do it every time, but I could feel the desperation from all of his moves. He was not interested in playing neutral at all.

I won both matches too - dude crumbled whenever I cornered him and sometimes when I frame trapped - but there was just no fun in his play. He was there to win and... I guess I'd call his play coated with this experienced, hardened anger instead of the raw stuff you might see from someone momentarily frustrated. I didn't want to fight that dude again. I don't want to fight those kinds of players.

Paltheos

Feel like it’s been awhile since I’ve said it but, Akuma can’t come soon enough.

Indeed. It's been 51 days since you've said it, and 24 days before that date again.
He's coming. I confess the game doesn't feel quite the same without the crazy bastard but on the whole I continue to be very satisfied with the product that is Street Fighter 6.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
Confirming a light into dr with gief feels awful. You have to basically burn 4 bars of drive meter for oki. Doesn't feel worth it at all

Indeed. It's been 51 days since you've said it, and 24 days before that date again.
He's coming. I confess the game doesn't feel quite the same without the crazy bastard but on the whole I continue to be very satisfied with the product that is Street Fighter 6.
I loved the game for the first 2 months, then hated DI and DR and how stupid they make the game feel sometimes, and then last month or so I’ve finally made my peace with it and have embraced Corner Fighter 6: Skip Neutral Edition, and now I really like it.

I Completely stopped playing MK1 because SF6 is so much more rich and deep. Every moment there are so many decisions to make in SF6, between the drive system, parries, and all the usual strike/throw 2D shenanigans, and going back to MK1, while good, just felt too simple. Assists have been done before, and better. But the package that SF6 brings with it you can only get in that game. Not even a different SF game! It’s at once completely Street Fighter and not Street Fighter at all.

Even if the SF6 boils down to- get your opponent in the corner and hope your mix delivers a wash. It’s still a fun back and forth. You just pay dearly for any mistakes.

yes I get that getting past neutral is a part of neutral. But combine some characters DR which is essentially a teleport and then stack them up with + frames on hit or block… It can get frustrating sometimes lol

Paltheos

Reached 3 star Diamond with Ryu. Took only a day from 2 star. A little harder than yesterday's climb but not by too much. Allot of people really like to mash crouching jab! It seems like many of the players I encountered today are accustomed to a narrow spectrum of defensive situations (up close in which they jab; mix-ups after cross-ups; raw DI as a counter to their normals in which they counter-DI) but struggle with situations outside those. Donkey Kick is still a decent poke. 2MK and if blocked into DR mixup catches allot of players offguard, usually into throw loops. Allot also collapse to corner pressure, and it's not me always scoring a counter hit on their wakeup. My general impression is that allot of my opponents didn't learn to play defense properly, to varying degrees, and I can sometimes pick the right move just by sniffing out what that particular player is most likely to do to escape pressure ASAP.

Misc. notes: Normal xx DI in the corner has also worked every time, even when the other player has remaining bar (likely for similar reasons as above - their counter DIs are muscle memory moves off their offense I think). I'm a little disappointed that empty jump into throw (and usually as a punish counter because they anticipatory parried) hasn't been as effective as in battle hub because people in ranked are almost always pressing buttons. In my games I can usually blow all my meter on a combo because I'm usually not punished for burning myself out. Throw loops are so good, especially cheeky DR into throw.

Even if the SF6 boils down to- get your opponent in the corner and hope your mix delivers a wash. It’s still a fun back and forth. You just pay dearly for any mistakes.

That's true. But SF6 is a game that allows comebacks, although this might be easier with some characters than others.

Confirming a light into dr with gief feels awful. You have to basically burn 4 bars of drive meter for oki. Doesn't feel worth it at all

Not a Gief player but can't you combo into OD Lariat and then DR to threaten a normal or SPD if you really want oki? This would cost "only" 3 bars, although I'm guessing maybe your opponent could backroll to neutralize it. I actually don't know what combo you're talking about that costs 4.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
Not a Gief player but can't you combo into OD Lariat and then DR to threaten a normal or SPD if you really want oki? This would cost "only" 3 bars, although I'm guessing maybe your opponent could backroll to neutralize it. I actually don't know what combo you're talking about that costs 4.

Basically a counter hit light combo. So example:

Ch cr.lp>s.lk>drc>hellstab>lariat. 3 bars

Have to dr in for oki is 4 bars total.

Combos into od lariat only work with a jump in because chaining lights can make od lariat whiff. Gief can't chain lights into a good knockdown so you have to end combos into lariat or frame trap off crouching lp hit into headbutt or spd reset

Last edited:

Paltheos

Reached 4 star Diamond with Ryu. Difficulty of the matches is feeling more real but I think a chunk of that is my nerves. My rank up match felt pretty fitting - a 2 star Modern Luke who had maxed his twitch-based gameplay. This meant no jumping, at all, and carefully walking him down lest I eat an OD fireball to the face and need to start over. Also being careful to not walk into his target combos. Just strong enough to understand how he hit that rank and simultaneously completely lacking in fundamentals needed to go further.

Also started leveling Honda. I accomplished a pretty neat feat. I leveled from 1 to 2 star Diamond without losing a single match. Currently on a 25 win streak. God, Honda's cheap. My rank up match was against a Ryu who really wasn't that bad (he just didn't shimmy me enough). I won solely on the strength of the character.

But the package that SF6 brings with it you can only get in that game. Not even a different SF game! It’s at once completely Street Fighter and not Street Fighter at all.
This is literally every mainline street fighter entry lol; it's endless cycle of hating the latest entry and applying revisionism to loving the one that came before it.

Paltheos

This is literally every mainline street fighter entry lol; it's endless cycle of hating the latest entry and applying revisionism to loving the one that came before it.

For the record, I've never once expressed nostalgia for SF5, a game I dropped. I played SF4 for well over a thousand hours. SF5 for barely a hundred. SF6 has already cracked four hundred.

For the record, I've never once expressed nostalgia for SF5, a game I dropped. I played SF4 for well over a thousand hours. SF5 for barely a hundred. SF6 has already cracked four hundred.
This is pretty funny because it’s my exact story. Played the shit out of 4, from launch all the way past SF5, hated SF5 and didn’t play SF at all really for years, back for 6 tho.

Paltheos

5 star Diamond with Ryu. I wonder if weekend games are easier - it certainly feels like they are. I leveled up in all of a single afternoon.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
Honda is easy to rank up with, then you will reach the point where people start to perfect parry headbutt. Then you have to be creative with your pressure.

Paltheos

To9ojrD.png

Master rank reached with Ryu! Took only(?) a week. I failed my rank up matches three times before finally pushing through. The game seems to try its damnedest to match you with other Diamond players but I got matched with one Master player tonight who had 75k LP and when I won I got 250(!) points instead of the usual ~50+, so that helped move things along.

Honda is easy to rank up with, then you will reach the point where people start to perfect parry headbutt. Then you have to be creative with your pressure.

One of my favorite tricks is LP Headbutt at mid-long range. The players skilled enough to parry will attempt their usual HP timing and then get smacked with a command throw on their recovery. I use the same trick with butt slam - many players at a high level can consistently parry the second half of EX slam, so I switch up the kick button I use because they all position at Honda at different heights before he comes down. I may not get the hit but I maintain the pressure. Honda is cheap, but I'm aware that he has a low ceiling.

BazookaBadger

Gold Member
To9ojrD.png

Master rank reached with Ryu! Took only(?) a week. I failed my rank up matches three times before finally pushing through. The game seems to try its damnedest to match you with other Diamond players but I got matched with one Master player tonight who had 75k LP and when I won I got 250(!) points instead of the usual ~50+, so that helped move things along.

One of my favorite tricks is LP Headbutt at mid-long range. The players skilled enough to parry will attempt their usual HP timing and then get smacked with a command throw on their recovery. I use the same trick with butt slam - many players at a high level can consistently parry the second half of EX slam, so I switch up the kick button I use because they all position at Honda at different heights before he comes down. I may not get the hit but I maintain the pressure. Honda is cheap, but I'm aware that he has a low ceiling.

I don't think he's that cheap tbh. Especially at higher levels, you have to work harder to run offense because most people know how to deal with the scrub stuff.

Paltheos

2nd character at master rank

0jAv1OZ.png

This character's too easy, man. During my Diamond-5 climb today, I ran across a couple Cammys I steamrolled. The first kept trying to divekick me and just didn't know what to do when that failed. The second had a better idea of either total rushdown with light moves until landing a combo and dumping meter or not engaging at all but those patterns become pretty easy to sniff out pretty quickly so I knew when to headbutt or counter jumping light poke. Had the most trouble with Manons actually, who knew just where and when to poke. My buttons couldn't compete. Incidentally, I picked up Manon a few days ago since she looks like fun. Her harder matchups have been tough to learn.

Unrelated: Capcom released a table of character matchups by win rates by tier of ranked, just a couple days ago. I'm not too surprised Honda is the biggest bully in the game, with a 55% minimum win rate in all tiers except master. Dhalsim having the highest win rate in masters is a bit of a surprise but win rates are so much closer there in general and I've heard some people really have trouble fighting the character. For me personally, I leveled up the classic control characters both hardest and easiest to reach master with, going by these rankings, which is neat.

Hrk69

This is my first fighting game and I'm enjoying it a lot. I can't get past platinum 1. I win 5 matches but lose 15 and it's getting frustrated

I should be looking into the frames stuff but I'm finding it hard to remember all of it

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
5 star Diamond with Ryu. I wonder if weekend games are easier - it certainly feels like they are. I leveled up in all of a single afternoon.
Yeah I agree with you on the weekend matches. If I play at all on the weekends its mostly pocket/match up picks.

Now to get REAL sweaty I will start playing matches around 3:30/4:00am CST and I constantly get great connections with Asian or European players during the week. Good shit...but I also loose to those folks WAY more.

amigastar

Currently installing it again. My only gripe would be the Modern controls. I don't wanna use them but then again i will get a disadvantage so i'm kinda forced to use them. So i'm really torn and wished Capcom didn't unclude modern controlles.

Last edited:

Edmund

Currently installing it again. My only gripe would be the Modern controls. I don't wanna use them but then again i will get a disadvantage so i'm kinda forced to use them. So i'm really torn and wished Capcom didn't unclude modern controlles.

Modern control players are easy to bait out their supers and anti airs.

You also have much more control over your character's normals versus someone who's using modern.

Paltheos

Modern comes with its own set of disadvantages. Aside from the obvious like reduced damage and lost buttons, some players, like me, just won't jump against Modern players who have picked a character with a special move anti-air. The observation I've made is that 90% of Modern players have poor ground games and are just easier to walk down. If you focus too hard on learning how to react quickly, foregoing neutral play, you run into a low skill ceiling.

Hrk69

My nerves are getting the best of me. It's obvious that most of my opponents know something I don't and I fucking hate it.

It's my first fighting game and I just got platinum with Zangief and Rashid.

I'm looking for video's that get into the basics etc

xiskza

wow they actually made Ed look cool, SF6 team is on the roll. Makes me wonder how they would've handled Falke in this game, she had tonnes of potential

amigastar

What are some good videos for Street Fighter 6.
Educational and everything else.
Do you guys know some interesting videos?

Last edited:
I might actually get Ed. Great redesign (sometimes less is more), looks like a DMC protagonist, flashy moves, psycho power.

Rashid and AKI were hard passes for me.

Now the wait for Akuma truly begins.

SSfox

I have questions for PS5 version:

Let's say my main account in EU, if I buy SF6 on my US account and some Dlcs characters or costumes, does it share with ithe accounts, cause I think it wasn't the case in SF5

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have questions for PS5 version:

Let's say my main account in EU, if I buy SF6 on my US account and some Dlcs characters or costumes, does it share with ithe accounts, cause I think it wasn't the case in SF5
You have two different profiles on your PS5? I know from experience how two profiles can play/get trophies from one account’s library. You have to make your US account your Primary Console and then you could swap profiles and gain trophies as your NA account. Than means log as your NA account and make that system your primary PS console.

That’s a guess. I do not know if it matters what country your ID is from. This is for game sharing across multiple profiles.

SSfox

You have two different profiles on your PS5? I know from experience how two profiles can play/get trophies from one account’s library. You have to make your US account your Primary Console and then you could swap profiles and gain trophies as your NA account. Than means log as your NA account and make that system your primary PS console.

That’s a guess. I do not know if it matters what country your ID is from. This is for game sharing across multiple profiles.

I have us account that I use primarily to buy stuff that I play in my main EU account (because digital stuff is fucking retardly expansive in EU PSN).

What I'd like to know like if later there is costume I like if I buy SF6 in US account then later can I buy and use dlc costume in my main EU account?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have us account that I use primarily to buy stuff that I play in my main EU account (because digital stuff is fucking retardly expansive in EU PSN).

What I'd like to know like if later there is costume I like if I buy SF6 in US account then later can I buy and use dlc costume in my main EU account?
From my experience from others. You cannot buy other regional DLC. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. I’m almost certain DLC is region specific.

SSfox

From my experience from others. You cannot buy other regional DLC. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. I’m almost certain DLC is region specific.
So if I understand well:

- If I buy DLC from US account, I can use it in the US account but not in EU account.

- I also can't buy dlc from EU account.

Correct?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So if I understand well:

- If I buy DLC from US account, I can use it in the US account but not in EU account.

- I also can't buy dlc from EU account.

Correct?
Yes. Anytime I see someone buy an import, they’re stuck with that version of the game’s DLC.

Now that you mention it. I’ve bought quite a few PAL games from Amazon over the years for PS4. My guess is buying DLC would want to make sure you owned the game. Nothing like that will cross over though. If the store says you don’t own that version and you buy DLC then it doesn’t see a game to apply it to. If that makes sense.

Paltheos

80+ hours and today was the first time I encountered Blanka

Is he that rare?

Blanka's not that rare. I play him all the time. Just very unlucky. Maybe depends on how you're playing - Ranked and at a level where he's apparently not common?

That LCQ tournament was crazy. I can't believe JB managed to beat Kakeru twice. Dude has really come a long way since NLBC.

The finals were just as nuts. I thought Problem X was dead for sure - he was beaten soundly in WF and noted himself about how he wasn't that confident in his ability in this game, but he really turned on at the end. Plus Punk's inability to clutch when it matters cannot be understated (that match vs. Daigo was so sloppy).

Love seeing people talk actual fighting game shit. This board is seriously lacking that.
Yes sir! I've been a JB fan for a long time, and it seems like he's where he needs to be now. He may not have won the LCQ, but I'll be damned if he didn't make a statement! Beating Kakeru!? The parry Lord and Savior!? Twice!? He needs a check just for that alone.
The finals were just as nuts. I thought Problem X was dead for sure - he was beaten soundly in WF and noted himself about how he wasn't that confident in his ability in this game, but he really turned on at the end. Plus Punk's inability to clutch when it matters cannot be understated (that match vs. Daigo was so sloppy).
I don't know how Daigo lost that to be honest. I almost want to call it a fluke, but it sounds disrespectful. Not that Punk can't beat him, but in that instance it was just crazy.

Hrk69

Blanka's not that rare. I play him all the time. Just very unlucky. Maybe depends on how you're playing - Ranked and at a level where he's apparently not common

Maybe because I'm playing Gief and Luke in gold?

Unfortunately I've encountered Blanka multiple times now, I can hold my ground but he's pretty hard to predict for me

Maybe because I'm playing Gief and Luke in gold?

Unfortunately I've encountered Blanka multiple times now, I can hold my ground but he's pretty hard to predict for me
If they are spamming Blanka ball, you will just have to learn to parry/perfect parry it. I know Gief can drive rush into that cartwheel kick in some cases. Also, air Blanka ball is punishable on block. Only the OD version is safe and it hits twice. Another tip, Blanka's standing HK is a pretty good anti air, but it very often loses to Luke's jumping HP.

Ed is out. Maybe I'm terrible, but his combos feel a little on the hardest side. He also feels even more different than he looks in the trailer.

Just realized I'm only on intermediate and haven't gotten to advanced yet 💀

Last edited:
Top Bottom