• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor: Heroes vs Villains - Thursdays at 8:00pm ET/PT (beginning Feb. 4th)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched all 20 seasons of Survivor and I have to say the one and only time I've ever disagreed with the jury vote was when they picked Amber to win Survivor All-Stars over Rob.

And I don't feel so terrible about that given that they got to split the money in the end after getting hitched.

cacophony

You guys are talking about how poor Russell's social game is, well look at Sandra's physical and strategic game. While she is the better social player the other aspects of her game are terrible.

It seems the jurors only rely on the social aspect of the game when they vote.

I can just be pointing out how ridiculous it is for people in this thread to compare Russell to Richard. Hatch won because he got to the end without being a complete jerk. Can anyone here point to when Richard called someone a dumbass in Season 1? You can't. There is no comparison between the way Richard spoke to people and the way Russell does. You put Russell up there tonight with the restraint that Hatch had is season 1 when it came to how he dealt with people and he probably wins.

cacophony said:
You guys are talking about how poor Russell's social game is, well look at Sandra's physical and strategic game. While she is the better social player the other aspects of her game are both terrible.

EXACTLY. Sandra lost 2/3rds of the "game" and she still won.

eznark

Banned
cacophony said:
You guys are talking about how poor Russell's social game is, well look at Sandra's physical and strategic game. While she is the better social player the other aspects of her game are terrible.

Shhhh, you're going to upset the Survivor Defense Force.

Meier

I just don't see how someone playing the game can't be impressed by the manipulation involved with Russell's game. If I were on the jury, I'd be able to see that the guy is an amazing player. But oh well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Russel had an advantage going in that no one knew about him. At the same time he played the game like he was winning his second million. He had no clue that is complete inability to grasp the social aspect would screw him over twice.

Will give Russel this though. If he had known how his first season would have ended, I think we would have seen a much different game form him this time round and he probably would have won.

unomas

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
EXACTLY. Sandra lost 2/3rds of the "game" and she still won.

Exactly, Hell Parvati was way better in challenges and strategically yet Sandra wins because people didn't like Parvati. The game has become vote for who you hate least and the jurors have ruined the game because of their bitterness.

So Russell was an asshole so he doesn't win, but why not Parvati? Do you really expect me to believe Sandra played a better game than Parvati?

There is something wrong when somebody can lose every challenge and sit back doing nothing but still win just because other players were actively participating in the strategic game, making big decisions, and getting the attention. Imagine playing a game of soccer where 21 players are playing at 100% for 85 minutes and the one guy who is most out of shape and was just standing around the entire time takes advantage of everyone being tired and scores a free goal to win the game.

eznark

Banned
DrForester said:
Russel had an advantage going in that no one knew about him. At the same time he played the game like he was winning his second million. He had no clue that is complete inability to grasp the social aspect would screw him over twice.

Will give Russel this though. If he had known how his first season would have ended, I think we would have seen a much different game form him this time round and he probably would have won.
I think that is what is so annoying. The game is weighted so heavily to the social aspect, yet it's a tiny focus of the actual show. They waste time showing challenges which ultimately, are pretty inconsequential in regards to the overall winner. Based on the resolution mechanism, Survivor should just dump the physical and mental challenges all together, dump the people on an island and tell them to vote a person off every day or so, without the bullshit.

And I agree with the above. Personally I would have voted Russell, but I don't see any argument as to why Parvati didn't deserve it. She killed it in challenges, wasn't as big an ass as Russell and manipulated the entire game along with Russell.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
eznark said:
I think that is what is so annoying. The game is weighted so heavily to the social aspect, yet it's a tiny focus of the actual show. They waste time showing challenges which ultimately, are pretty inconsequential in regards to the overall winner. Based on the resolution mechanism, Survivor should just dump the physical and mental challenges all together, dump the people on an island and tell them to vote a person off every day or so, without the bullshit.

And I agree with the above. Personally I would have voted Russell, but I don't see any argument as to why Parvati didn't deserve it. She killed it in challenges, wasn't as big an ass as Russell and manipulated the entire game along with Russell.

Problems you would still get creative editing and the whole story would not be seen.

unomas said:
So Russell was an asshole so he doesn't win, but why not Parvati? Do you really expect me to believe Sandra played a better game than Parvati?
Parv's problem was that she was considered "guilty by association with Russell" and didn't do enough to separate herself from him within the game.

I do think she would have won had Jerri been brought to the Final 3 which is why she was pushing hard to boot Sandra at that point. Sandra can work a jury in ways I'm not convinced Jerri could. Plus, she didn't have that "I've been trying to get Russell out all game" gambit to lean on.

Jerri would NOT have been awarded the million by this jury. Parv would have won.

The social aspect of the show is not a small aspect of the game. It's the main part of the game. They don't see who can stand on one foot the longest when they are around that campfire at the end of the episode to see who goes home, they vote on who is going home.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Parv's problem was that she was considered "guilty by association with Russell" and didn't do enough to separate herself from him within the game.

I do think she would have won had Jerri been brought to the Final 3 which is why she was pushing hard to boot Sandra at that point. Sandra can work a jury in ways I'm not convinced Jerri could. Plus, she didn't have that "I've been trying to get Russell out all game" gambit to lean on.

Jerri would NOT have been awarded the million by this jury. Parv would have won.

I agree completely that Russell deserved to lose for voting out Jerri. Really bad time to make your worst decision.

SuperSonic1305 said:
There is something wrong when somebody can lose every challenge and sit back doing nothing but still win just because other players were actively participating in the strategic game, making big decisions, and getting the attention. Imagine playing a game of soccer where 21 players are playing at 100% for 85 minutes and the one guy who is most out of shape and was just standing around the entire time takes advantage of everyone being tired and scores a free goal to win the game.
There you go. Survivor isn't an athletic competition that you seem to mistakenly believe it is. The entire point of the game is the jury, the whole point is to survive long enough to persuade them to your cause. Think of it like diplomacy. If one country goes around crushing all others, even ones formerly in an alliance with them with military force and then ask another country for support they need to give a hard sale or that country will most likely a line themselves with a weaker country and attempt topple the superpower.

I <3 Memes said:
The social aspect of the show is not a small aspect of the game. It's the main part of the game. They don't see who can stand on one foot the longest when they are around that campfire at the end of the episode to see who goes home, they vote on who is going home.

But the disconnect, and the reason for the grousing, is that the most engaging and exciting parts of the show, the shit that people (well, like me at least) love watching is for those tense and epic challenges. To remove that thrill completely from the jury process is why it feels so detached from the 13 or whatever episodes that preceded it.

I knew the fan vote would come down to Rupert & Russell. Proof that you don't want viewers voting for the winner.

I'm so glad this season is over! Even though I'm satisfied with the outcome, (I would been happy if Parvati won also), I'm so over All-Star seasons.

Bring on the new cast!

Manics

Banned
"The game is flawed". Man Russell is an idiot. Coming into the game you KNOW you have to face a jury of your peers. If the audience decided the winner then EVERYONE would play cutthroat and lie and backstab cause you know there are no consequences of the jury vote.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Man Russel bombed that Jury Q/A session. He did much better at the Q/A last time by comparison.

Guy was probably sitting there saying "I don't care, i'm about to win a million dollars from my first game"

Meier

Manics said:
"The game is flawed". Man Russell is an idiot. Coming into the game you KNOW you have to face a jury of your peers. If the audience decided the winner then EVERYONE would play cutthroat and lie and backstab cause you know there are no consequences of the jury vote.
In Russell's defense, he hadn't found out the results of the previous season before he went back for this one. I think he fully expected the jury would respect that he'd played the game so damn well from a strategy and physical standpoint.

It isn't JUST about backstabbing and playing cutthroat. He did a lot more than that.

Parvati deserved to win, by Sandra played a much better game than Russell did. Sandra's game was essentially flawless whereas Russell completely fell apart near the end.

Why Sandra deserved to win:
- Sandra played a great social game from the very beginning and put herself into an extremely powerful alliance with Rob, Tyson, and Courtney. This alliance fell apart through no fault of her own. Tyson made a bad move and Russell got lucky.

- After her original alliance fell apart, Sandra did everything she could to protect her numbers. At one point, she threw Coach under the bus and deflected votes away from her and Courtney.

- After the merge, Sandra went to Rupert and told him that Russell had been running the show the entire time. This certainly earned her some good will from the Heroes. What was impressive about this move is that she was able to do it without putting herself at any risk. The Villains didn't even know that Sandra had revealed their plans to the other side.

- After JT was sent home, Sandra was ready to flip the entire game. She knew that she was on the bottom of the Villains tribe and she knew how important her vote would have been for the remaining Heroes. It was literally the best time she could have jumped, and her plan would have worked if Candice wasn't so weak. When Candice insisted on her 8th place finish, Sandra was smart enough to stick with the numbers.

People were reluctant to go along with Sandra's plans, but she laid out some pretty good strategies throughout the course of the game and was prefectly ready to make big moves. As Rupert so aptly put it, Sandra kept opening up the door for the Heroes and they kept slamming it in her face. Sandra looked at the game from every angle and always went with the direction that made the most sense.

Why Russell deserved to lose:
- Russell's social game in the beginning was horrible and he put himself on the wrong side of the numbers right away. He got LUCKY when Tyson was voted out and then had the audacity to claim that luck had nothing to do with his success in the game.

- After the merge, Russell gave JT's idol to Parvati because he thought she was in trouble again. Parvati had a better read on the situation, and it was HER move that saved them. If Parvati would have played the idol like Russell thought he was going to, then Jerri would have been voted out, the Heroes would have regainined the advantage, and Russell would have been the next out.

- Russell wasted his third immunity idol out of paranoia.

- Russell tried creating chaos by playing Parvati and Danielle against each other. They saw through his plan imidiately. The fact that Russell actually thought he could manipulate Parvati is downright hilarious.

- Russell completely self-destructed when he inexplicably betrayed his own alliance to vote Danielle out.

- Parvati told Russell in no uncertain terms that he would not be able to win against Sandra. Parvati went so far as to go through the jury members one by one, explaining why they would pick Sandra over him. Russell still wouldn't listen and was convinced that he had more votes waiting for him than Sandra. This illustrates just how out of touch Russell was by the end of the game.

- Russell was stupid enough to tell Parvati that he wanted Jerri on the jury because she was a guaranteed vote. Did he honestly think that Parvati wasn't going to mention anything to Jerri?

Russell lost in Season 19 because the jury was bitter. He lost this time around because he completely self-destructed and made horrible judgment calls near the end of the game.

Manics

Banned
Meier said:
In Russell's defense, he hadn't found out the results of the previous season before he went back for this one. I think he fully expected the jury would respect that he'd played the game so damn well from a strategy and physical standpoint.

It isn't JUST about backstabbing and playing cutthroat. He did a lot more than that.
Oh yes I forgot the gameplay tactic of extreme arrogance to everyone you speak to. "if you don't vote the way I say you're next"

SuperSonic1305 said:
Sandra didn't even play well socially. She only won because the other 2 were more disliked.
Exactly. She was winner by default. She also only won her first season because Lil hated Johnny Fairplay so much that she didnt even want to give him a chance to win. The talk of her being the greatest survivor ever is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. She is an ok player who got lucky at the end of the game twice.

Russell deserved to lose this time. I love Russell and he makes for an exciting game, but he has no social skills. All he needed to do to win was be humble and apologetic at final tribal. It seemed like almost everyone who came up gave Russell the opportunity to win, and he ignored every one of them. If you do that, you deserve to lose.

People are complaining because the other parts of the game don't matter? Well, they do. In order to even make it to the final you need those other pieces. They aren't as important in the final as they are in getting to the final. That's what makes the game so interesting though. You need to make it to the end, but you need to keep the respect of the people getting voted off. Lesson for the day? Tone down your ego when you are talking to other people.

Manics

Banned
Coolio McAwesome said:
Parvati deserved to win, by Sandra played a much better game than Russell did. Sandra's game was essentially flawless whereas Russell completely fell apart near the end.

- Sandra played a great social game from the very beginning and put herself into an extremely powerful alliance with Rob, Tyson, and Courtney. This alliance fell apart through no fault of her own. Tyson made a bad move and Russell got lucky.

- After her original alliance fell apart, Sandra did everything she could to protect her numbers. At one point, she threw Coach under the bus and deflected votes away from her and Courtney.

- After the merge, Sandra went to Rupert and told him that Russell had been running the show the entire time. This certainly earned her some good will from the Heroes. What was impressive about this move is that she was able to do it without putting herself at any risk. The Villains didn't even know that Sandra had revealed their plans to the other side.

- After JT was sent home, Sandra was ready to flip the entire game. She knew that she was on the bottom of the Villains tribe and she knew how important her vote would have been for the remaining Heroes. It was literally the best time she could have jumped, and her plan would have worked if Candice wasn't so weak. When Candice insisted on her 8th place finish, Sandra was smart enough to stick with the numbers.

People were reluctant to go along with Sandra's plans, but she laid out some pretty good strategies throughout the course of the game and was prefectly ready to make big moves. As Rupert so aptly put it, Sandra kept opening up the door for the Heroes and they kept slamming it in her face. Sandra looked at the game from every angle and always went with the direction that made the most sense.

- Russell's social game in the beginning was horrible and he put himself on the wrong side of the numbers right away. He got LUCKY when Tyson was voted out and then had the audacity to claim that luck had nothing to do with his success in the game.

- After the merge, Russell gave JT's idol to Parvati because he thought she was in trouble again. Parvati had a better read on the situation, and it was HER move that saved them. If Parvati would have played the idol like Russell thought he was going to, then Jerri would have been voted out, the Heroes would have regainined the advantage, and Russell would have been the next out.

- Russell tried creating chaos by playing Parvati and Danielle against each other. They saw through his plan imidiately. The fact that Russell actually thought he could manipulate Parvati is downright hilarious.

- Russell completely self-destructed when he inexplicably betrayed his own alliance to vote Danielle out.

- Parvati told Russell in no uncertain terms that he would not be able to win against Sandra. Parvati went so far as to go through the jury members one by one, explaining why they would pick Sandra over him. Russell still wouldn't listen and was convinced that he had more votes waiting for him than Sandra. This illustrates just how out of touch Russell was by the end of the game.

- Russell was stupid enough to tell Parvati that he wanted Jerri on the jury because she was a guaranteed vote. Did he honestly think that Parvati wasn't going to mention anything to Jerri?

Russell lost in Season 19 because the jury was bitter. He lost this time around because he completely self-destructed and made horrible judgment calls near the end of the game.
This post should close out the thread. Well done.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Coolio McAwesome said:

Another plus to Sandra, she played on the juries hatred of Russel at that final Q/A very, very well.

chidrock

hmm...my dvr conked out on me in the middle of the jury's vote. Is there any where I can see this online yet? Really sucks that I saw who won before I could find it myself. Now I just want to see the reveal...thanks!

Coolio McAwesome said:
This makes her look worse in my opinion. If she was a great strategic player then she would have found a way to get Russell out. I was honestly thinking that she was going to lose the jury by talking so much about how many times she tried to get Russell out for the simple fact that it was the only thing she tried to do the whole game and she failed at it.

Parvati deserved to win because she played the perfect mix of social, strategic, and physical but lost in the end only because she allied with people the jury hated. It doesn't make any sense. Even more so this season because they labeled everyone as either Hero or villain. This changes everything because now the Villains think they have to get to the end with villains and the heroes think they have to get to the end with villains. Parvati and Russel worked with what they had to work with. There was no way for Russel to get as far as he did playing any other way. Sandra said herself that she was gunning for him all game long but she couldn't get him off. Doesn't that automatically put Sandra in a bad light? How many villains hated Russel and wanted him and Parvati gone? The best players are the ones that can take an almost impossible situation and get out of it. When you have a clearly strong alliance that gets knocked off one by one by the few there is clearly only one group that is playing properly. You can't fault the villains for playing like villains within a group of villains. Sandra gets a free pass because she didn't have a target nearly as much as the others and she didn't have to work as hard to stay in the game. Russel, Parvati, and Danielle controlled a large part of the game. They had most of the hidden immunities and they made the biggest game changes but just because the Heroes get demolished for BAD decisions they get to whine about it and give a million dollars to the "nicest" of the villains.

bill0527

Goddddddammmnnn .. Randy looked like a fucking alien with that bald head. Damn he looked repulsive... but it fits his life strategy - to keep as many people as far away from him as possible.

As for Russell... I'm a fan of the way he played the game for the most part, but he completely self-destructed the last week or so of the game, and then really went over the edge at the reunion show. He just doesn't get it. He'll never get it.

Sandra winning the first time was total bullshit. Sandra winning again is just .. fucking inexplicable. She did nothing in the game to make it interesting. As someone above posted.. its pretty fucking sad that you can only do 1/3rd of what it takes to win, and still win. If everyone played the game like Sandra, Survivor wouldn't have made it past the 4th season. Unfortunately, as we've seen with Russell, and many others before him.. if you try to play the game, make it interesting, and actually do something other than hide in the fuckin bushes for 40 days, you end up getting punished by a bitter-ass jury.

chidrock

I know this might have been mentioned, but did anyone notice how Russell said that he went to the jury and lost with the two people he brought with him the first time he was on? I thought that this season was taped before they revealed that Nat won last season. Guess that means they let Russell know he lost before the Reunion special. (I know it's always been suspected that they do this, but this confirms it)

yellowjacket25 said:
This makes her look worse in my opinion. If she was a great strategic player then she would have found a way to get Russell out. I was honestly thinking that she was going to lose the jury by talking so much about how many times she tried to get Russell out for the simple fact that it was the only thing she tried to do the whole game and she failed at it.

I disagree. Sandra opened the door for the Heroes to take the game and that's all she should have done. If was any more aggressive, she would have completely exposed herself. After all, Sandra was playing both sides of the fence and didn't want to Villains to know that she was with the Heroes. If the Villains knew how hard Sandra was playing, I promise that they would have put a target on her back. When it became clear that Candice was dead-set against staying with the Heroes, Sandra was smart enough to back off. There was nothing else she could have done at that point. It was a smart plan for Sandra to jump sides, but it was just as smart of her to back off when the numbers disappeared. She was able to earn herself a lot of jury votes with the other tribe, and she didn't even have to put a target on her back in the process. The fact that Russell didn't view Sandra as a jury threat in the end perfectly illustrates how effective her game was. If Russell had known how many olive branches Sandra gave to the Heroes, he would not have brought her to the end.

JohnsonUT

Russell's fatal flaw is that he couldn't form a coherent argument, both during the final jury and on the reunion show. For the jury he needed to stress that it was a game that he controlled and stroke egos in the process (saying they were great, smart players that he was LUCKY enough to have beaten). At least a few jurors seemed open to the idea of voting for a strategic player, but he never made the case other than "I am awesome. I should win." Last season that argument should have worked because the other two finalist literally did nothing. This year only one finalist literally did nothing.

Jeff: What was your most important move in the game?
Sandra: You know, everyday i was being strategic and working my game and trying to win.

Russell's "Pahvorti (sp?) probably should have won" could have been a good argument to his claim of the game being flawed if he would have stated how she was much more strategic than Sandra and crushed herl in challenges and still didn't even receive half of the votes.

Coolio McAwesome said:
I disagree. Sandra opened the door for the Heroes to take the game and that's all she should have done. If was any more aggressive, she would have completely exposed herself. After all, Sandra was playing both sides of the fence and didn't want to Villains to know that she was with the Heroes. If the Villains knew how hard Sandra was playing, I promise that they would have put a target on her back. When it became clear that Candice was dead-set against staying with the Heroes, Sandra was smart enough to back off. There was nothing else she could have done at that point. It was a smart plan for Sandra to jump sides, but it was just as smart of her to back off when the numbers disappeared. She was able to earn herself a lot of jury votes with the other tribe, and she didn't even have to put a target on her back in the process. The fact that Russell didn't view Sandra as a jury threat in the end perfectly illustrates how effective her game was. If Russell had known how many olive branches Sandra gave to the Heroes, he would not have brought her to the end.
I think your example is a bad one. The only reason that Candice wouldnt stay with the Heroes is because Russell convinced her otherwise. The reason he convinced her of that is because he knew they couldnt necessarily trust Sandra to vote with them so they got someone else for insurance. Russel outplayed Sandra before she even made her move. The only move she tried to make the whole game and it was nullified before it even started.

Galang

Banned
bill0527 said:
Goddddddammmnnn .. Randy looked like a fucking alien with that bald head. Damn he looked repulsive... but it fits his life strategy - to keep as many people as far away from him as possible.

No Survivor contestant has ever annoyed me as much as this guy. I can't even think of a runner-up. Glad he was gone when he did.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I disagree with that long post when it mentions Russell got lucky when Tyson got voted out, that wasn't luck. Russell made that whole play happen and wrapped Tyson around his finger, he thought steps ahead of Boston Rob's alliance and wiped them out.

I completely agree with that he made horrible plays toward the end though.

suaveric

In theory, I'd like to see America get some say in the final vote, but in practice it would never work. It works for American Idol because you're only voting for who preformed the best during a minute and a half long song that you get to watch in its entirety. In Survivor, we only get to see 43 minutes of edited material for every three days that they played the game.

There's just too much stuff that we never get to see to be informed enough to have a vote on the jury.

DrForester said:

I don't know though. Maybe before watching the Reunion special I would agree with you but as much as I liked him throughout his two seasons, he just finally struck me that he has no idea how to actually win. As everyone kept telling him, he can make it to the end but he can't win.

And yeah, the social part is a third of the game but since that's what people get emotional about, it's usually a bigger factor in the end. If I was on Survivor and I became good friends with someone in the final two/three, I would do what Courtney did and vote for my friend.

JohnsonUT

VGChampion said:
And yeah, the social part is a third of the game but since that's what people get emotional about, it's usually a bigger factor in the end. If I was on Survivor and I became good friends with someone in the final two/three, I would do what Courtney did and vote for my friend.

According to the vote tonight, the social aspect is worth at least two-thirds of the game. Sandra got 6 of 9 votes tonight without having anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom