• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

I like Li Na and thought she would win it all after destroying Sharapova, but the better player won today.

aww Li crying

the one who lost in the QF? the one who does not bother playing tournaments all year long? that one?

Yes that one. (on any given day any player can lose any given match....can't expect her to win EVERYTHING)

Still the best player. Everyone knows it.

Her way works......15 majors speaks to that. Maybe its everyone else who is doing it wrong?

Timbuktu

No. 1 is No. 1 can't get therewithout deserving it. But i guess compared with men's top 4, the top wta seeds are just too inconsistent and you get to finals like this when there are so many errors. As least this isn't a straight set walk through like it often is nowadays.

Yes that one. (on any given day any player can lose any given match....can't expect her to win EVERYTHING)

Still the best player. Everyone knows it.

Her way works......15 majors speaks to that. Maybe its everyone else who is doing it wrong?

if she wants to call her number 1 she should start playing some tournaments and give a shit. cherry picking tournaments while others fight 11 months in the year isn't exactly fair.

seanoff

bet they wished they had Margaret Court's Grand Slam record.

29 Grand Slam Finals, 24 Wins

19 doubles

19 mixed doubles

all Grand Slams

if she wants to call her number 1 she should start playing some tournaments and give a shit. cherry picking tournaments while others fight 11 months in the year isn't exactly fair.

Whats not fair about it? She chooses to skip meaningless tournaments to focus on the ones that count. She exchanges the potential prize winnings from those to increase her odds at the big events.

Sounds like playing smart to me.

At the end of the day no one will remember whether you won or lost the warmup tournaments or misc. events. So why bother trying to force players to attend them?

Whats not fair about it? She chooses to skip meaningless tournaments to focus on the ones that count. She exchanges the potential prize winning from those to increase her odds at the big events.

Sounds like playing smart to me.

you know that WTA players are obligated to attend certain tournament? miss williams don't care. always finds some excuse to skip them. that's not smart, that's borderline cheating.

Ashhong

Its not like Azarenka and Red Foo are the same nationality. He could have just meant someone more popular.

I was serious with my question though lol. I'm not offended, just curious. He didn't have to pick Psy, so I thought he genuinely might believe they are the same.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair is there any other Asian musician that most people in the west actually know?

Much less musicians from China.

flake

Such an embarressment, the guy is fricken 37 years old. Notice how he kept arranging the red bull can so it was clearly facing the camera

BowieZ

Banned
Margaret Court couldn't look any more like a staunchly conservative old woman.

mags.jpg

Shaneus

No. 1 is No. 1 can't get therewithout deserving it. But i guess compared with men's top 4, the top wta seeds are just too inconsistent and you get to finals like this when there are so many errors. As least this isn't a straight set walk through like it often is nowadays.
I bet if I made a sound the equivalent of an air horn every time I made a shot I could win as well.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I bet if I made a sound the equivalent of an air horn every time I made a shot I could win as well.

She should just strive to become the GAOAT (greatest annoyance of all time) on the women's tour by screaming "REDFOOOOOOOO!" instead of her usual coo/woo. That way you have some layered jackassery to the whole thing. Strive for the top baby.

Was pulling for Li. But you can't say azarenka didn't have a lot of luck; I mean first sharapova is knocked out(not saying Li wasn't a challenge), then Serena is knocked out so she has an easy semi, then Li gets injured twice during their match.

Can't wait for Roland Garros!

Kinda disappointed that Azarenka won, but it's not surprising.

Also, I think I may have just found some Murray/Djokovic erotic fanfiction. I guess I know what I'll be doing to prepare for tomorrow.

Watched the replay on ESPN3 when I woke up. Can't believe that awful horrific wailing banshee won. Ugh. And those falls by Li Na, god damn =X

Niraj

Nice that the Bryan bros won! 6th Australian Open, and this makes them the doubles team that has won the most slams, at 13.

Niraj

You guys should look up Esther Vergeer (women's wheelchair tennis player) if you haven't heard of her. Amazing records. She hasn't lost a match since like 2003 or something.

MIMIC

Banned
You guys should look up Esther Vergeer (women's wheelchair tennis player) if you haven't heard of her. Amazing records. She hasn't lost a match since like 2003 or something.

And she doesn't just win....she basically mauls every opponent. It's almost not even fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom