• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITkc.png

benjipwns

Banned
Haven't followed the confirmation process but if they haven't been confirmed yet, he's going in with an empty cabinet.
Homeland Security (88-11) and Defense (98-1) have already been confirmed.

I figure you of all people would know about going in with an empty Cabinet. Yours took nearly six months for their offices to be created and appointed to them. Tommy was even still over in France when you made him Secretary of State!

Brendan O'Neill said:
Because you kept telling people, 'You can't think that, you can't say that, you can't do that'.

Oh sure it's the political left saying things like this not the right. The right wingers all all about letting people do what they want, love who they want, practice the religion they want, and more.

What a terrible argument. We have republicans now trying to outlaw protesting for fucks sake in some states. But oh no its the left that created Trump by telling people "you can't say that".

The Lamp

I don't see any statistics or verifiable claims here, just fabricated extreme situations to try to make a point, but it falls flat because it is creating a label for an imaginary group of dominant people that supposedly do all these things?

Because they focused on gender neutral toilets instead of home repos? Idiotic. They're not mutually exclusive, and even if they were, you can turn it around and say the opposite people focused on policing transgenders in bathrooms instead of any other fucking important thing on earth.

Just googled Brendan O Neill. Seems like a piece of shit that hits all the pro trump, pro brexit and anti lgbt talking points. He's also likes to downplay racism. What a surprise!

Homeland Security (88-11) and Defense (98-1) have already been confirmed.

I figure you of all people would know about going in with an empty Cabinet. Yours took nearly six months for their offices to be created and appointed to them. Tommy was even still over in France when you made him Secretary of State!

Thank you.

Since then some positions have been eliminated with a lot more created; I lost track.

I just want this admistration to have everything in place so that they can't scapegoat democrats for the Trump administration's own decisions.

I sit and pray that his presidency will turn out to be a prosperous one for all but it seems unlikely as time passes by.

legacyzero

Banned

The only part of this I agree with is the demonizing of dissenters. The far left kept shouting down and calling all kinds of names to people who have different views without debating them and having a conversation to exchange views. They jam their fingers in their ears and then yell. Nobody is going to give a fuck about your views, no matter what they are, if you act that way.

If you back people into a corner while shouting at them aggressively, without listening and exchanging views, they're going to make it their corner and shut you down. So in a way, it is our fault. Johnathan Pie Put it best.

I have done more debating with conservatives, even ultra conservatives, and shifted some of their views. That battle aint going to be won over night. And yes it's true that you just cant change some peoples' minds. But WE are fucking included in that too, and I feel like we are ignoring that fact. I also expect that people here wont agree with me on all this, and I'll probably be met with condescension, just like the post I'm quoting currently is, but if we dont learn this simple truth, we're going to be in for 8 years of discomfort and not 4.

I dont like it either. I wish it were easy to tell a conservative thinker that their views are not optimal for progress for our people. Our Women. Our Minorities. Our Immigrants. And I wish it were simple for them to agree. But shouting them down and making them feel like shit because they dont support those views for whatever reason other than they're an ACTUAL hateful piece of shit (Like Richard Spencer) if going to get you nothing but their back turned to you.

It is what it is.

The only part of this I agree with is the demonizing of dissenters. The far left kept shouting down and calling all kinds of names to people who have different views without debating them and having a conversation to exchange views. They jam their fingers in their ears and then yell. Nobody is going to give a fuck about your views, no matter what they are, if you act that way.

If you back people into a corner while shouting at them aggressively, without listening and exchanging views, they're going to make it their corner and shut you down. So in a way, it is our fault. Johnathan Pie Put it best.

I have done more debating with conservatives, even ultra conservatives, and shifted some of their views. That battle aint going to be won over night. And yes it's true that you just cant change some peoples' minds. But WE are fucking included in that too, and I feel like we are ignoring that fact. I also expect that people here wont agree with me on all this, and I'll probably be met with condescension, just like the post I'm quoting currently is, but if we dont learn this simple truth, we're going to be in for 8 years of discomfort and not 4.

I dont like it either. I wish it were easy to tell a conservative thinker that their views are not optimal for progress for our people. Our Women. Our Minorities. Our Immigrants. And I wish it were simple for them to agree. But shouting them down and making them feel like shit because they dont support those views for whatever reason other than they're an ACTUAL hateful piece of shit (Like Richard Spencer) if going to get you nothing but their back turned to you.

It is what it is.

This is a good analysis. Thanks for the Jonathan Pie breakdown.

Now I'm really curious as to what he will say at this years 9/11 Anniversary.

"When I was in NYC after it happened, I personally ran down to ground zero and saved hundreds of lives stuck beneath the rubble. If only I had been President because if I had been, it would have never happened"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I also expect that people here wont agree with me on all this, and I'll probably be met with condescension, just like the post I'm quoting currently is, but if we dont learn this simple truth, we're going to be in for 8 years of discomfort and not 4.
You're right about that.

I have done more debating with conservatives, even ultra conservatives, and shifted some of their views. That battle aint going to be won over night. And yes it's true that you just cant change some peoples' minds. But WE are fucking included in that too, and I feel like we are ignoring that fact.
Most people don't really understand that element of human psychology, and would rather take the easier road of only expressing their moral superiority without adding in any of the persuasion. It makes one feel good, but it's useless for getting people to change their minds.

I'm reminded about something I posted in a thread that got locked a few months back.

While that might feel good to you, I would advise that forming a bubble around yourself is not the best way to enrich your own mental development. It also cuts you off from an important goal: being able to convince them of the rightness of your point of view.

As an example, if I had done that in my own personal life, there would be a lot more people running around in the world who don't believe in climate change, think vaccinations are bad, think being gay is morally wrong, think we need religion to be moral, think GMOs are inherently bad for you, etc.

I occasionally get some flack from my IRL friends for associating with conservatives, but for me it's a part of being in a society. Over the years, I've also converted more right wing idiots by myself than all of them combined, so they can also, respectfully, go jump in a lake.

cilonen

Real? I'm not watching Avatar again to find out.

You know, I'm having second thoughts given all the bullshit flying around - The Trump text is real, it's in CNN's transcript of the speech. Looking for the Avatar script now.

Edit: Nope, bullshit. Damn, sorry.

Pakkidis

So apparently, if you're canadian and not pro-Trump, you're denied access to USA?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/us/canadians-rejected-border-womens-march/index.html

Make sense! /s

Its against the law for any foreigners to participate in protests. Almost every country has this law. Canada also has this law. I wouldn't want Americans coming into Canada protesting our prime minister either.

Its to prevent foreigners to persuade political discourse in said country. Take it for what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom