• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not making a thread over this. But Bannon had his hand in writing that inaugural speech. The guy is a monster. If Trump is serious about any sort of unity(he's not), he would remove Bannon from the White House immediately.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...-inaugural-speech-1484957527?tesla=y&mod=e2tw

You can pretty much replace every "you" with "white American" then. People ask what was wrong with Trump going the "American first!" route, and this is why---it's pretty much coded to mean "people like me first!".

(GoT spoiler for the last season)
C2tCeHSWEAAVt6p.jpg:large

I chuckled.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Not making a thread over this. But Bannon had his hand in writing that inaugural speech. The guy is a monster. If Trump is serious about any sort of unity(he's not), he would remove Bannon from the White House immediately.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...-inaugural-speech-1484957527?tesla=y&mod=e2tw

Assumed that was the case. It sounded like shit he believes in. Like the poster said with the you part. Bannon helped him getting elected he is not going anywhere.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Watching the news and being from Europe it's kind of weird for me to see all of Trump's family being part of all the ceremonies like a royal family or something. Is that how it usually goes?

benjipwns

Banned
Watching the news and being from Europe it's kind of weird for me to see all of Trump's family being part of all the ceremonies like a royal family or something. Is that how it usually goes?
Yes, he just has a bigger and older family than his three predecessors.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm also amazed how much of a role the religion plays in US. Not only yesterday in the inauguration but even today CNN and CNBC broadcast live a long national prayer while ignoring the women's protest going around US (and the world).

Like it's a different century from a religious point of view (considering also the involvement of different religious communities in the electoral campaign).

jfkgoblue

I'm also amazed how much of a role the religion plays in US. Not only yesterday in the inauguration but even today CNN and CNBC broadcast live a long national prayer while ignoring the women's protest going around US (and the world).

Like it's a different century from a religious point of view (considering also the involvement of different religious communities in the electoral campaign).
The country was founded on Christian values, and we never had a big war between Christians to secularise us like European countries did.

Tall4Life

America is deeply rooted in religion, as most of the early settlers of the region were radicals looking to build religious utopias. America had multiple "Great Awakenings" which showed a revitalization of religion in one way or another while the rest of the world didn't see the same thing. If you know about biology, it's kind of like the founder's effect in evolution. A small population (the super religious in this case) break off from a larger population and form their own colony, literally. The new colony is separated from the original population (the Atlantic separated America from Europe and Asia and really hampered the flow of ideas until now with the Internet) and their qualities become more pronounced.

The focus on religion is slowly slowly dissipating as the world and America becomes more global, in a sense.

benjipwns

Banned
Not that it should even matter, but I guess those morons didn't know that Starbucks endorsed Clinton. Talk about deplorable.
Um, black bloc anarchists.

Smashing up Starbucks is the one thing they probably agree on more than even hating capitalism. I'm surprised they didn't go for it first.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The country was founded on Christian values, and we never had a big war between Christians to secularise us like European countries did.

America is deeply rooted in religion, as most of the early settlers of the region were radicals looking to build religious utopias. America had multiple "Great Awakenings" which showed a revitalization of religion in one way or another while the rest of the world didn't see the same thing. If you know about biology, it's kind of like the founder's effect in evolution. A small population (the super religious in this case) break off from a larger population and form their own colony, literally. The new colony is separated from the original population (the Atlantic separated America from Europe and Asia and really hampered the flow of ideas until now with the Internet) and their qualities become more pronounced.

The focus on religion is slowly slowly dissipating as the world and America becomes more global, in a sense.

I understand the origin of it all, I know that a good part of the colonists were religious radicals and that US is a different bubble, sort of speak, but I'm amazed that this is still so deeply ingrained in the present, that's all.

Supast4r

She's a smart, successful, attractive celebrity, and humans tend to like those.
Trump sold people on being obsessed with her. Being tied to Trump puts her in the same light as her father because she supports his racism/sexism/nationalist/etc. But most people just get distracted by her looks.

Woorloog

Banned
You can bash Trump for a lot of things, but I make typos too sometimes.

How do you mix up O and E? They're pretty far away from each other, and if it was on mobile, doesn't he have a dictionary enabled?

EDIT R and E are next to each other for sure, i'll admit that. But still, he should double-check what he does (not that he ever seems to be doing that, or even thinking at all).

.JayZii

Banned
This guy on Fox last night said something like "It was great to hear patriotism from an American president, America First, but the most refreshing thing is that he said the words 'radical. islam.'"
What happens now that they all heard their magic words they've been craving?

Don't forget that Steve Bannon is now in the white House and one of the most powerful people in the world with his influence over Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom