• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blaze puts Tomi Lahren show on hold after she voiced 'pro-choice' stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outrage culture is real and you can't say shit in today's world on both sides of the spectrum. Shit is truly the end of free speech, the end of being able to voice one's opinions. Shit is disgusting.
I disagree this is a case of free speech, and outrage "culture" isn't a new thing. It's been happening for centuries. Just now, you're not killed for it.

I'm beginning to think that people who keep saying "free speech" in threads like this are trolling.

Outrage culture is real and you can't say shit in today's world on both sides of the spectrum. Shit is truly the end of free speech, the end of being able to voice one's opinions. Shit is disgusting.

Like this. What the hell are you even talking about? Do you know what free speech actually is, or is this just a troll?

I guess I must have missed the news that Tomi Lahren or any other Liberal/Conservative had been jailed by the government recently because of them speaking their opinions.

Vice

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. And, causing controversy with your speech is nothing new and has been happening regularly since the founding of America, whether the opinions were conservative or progressive.

It's not so much 'outrage culture', more that we have created all these avenues to communicate with each other all at once without a thought on the long term effects. Social media creates the illusion of outrage culture, but in reality, it's just an inability for people to tune out the loudest, most obnoxious voices in the room. The truth is we're not designed to voice our opinion in a room with billions of people. Social media has developed well beyond our ability to understand and use it appropriately. Too much, too soon,in other words.

jay

Like this. What the hell are you even talking about?

I've always understood it to mean the person also holds racist and sexist views and is tired of being called out on them so they appeal to freedom of speech to justify why we should tolerate their bullshit.

free_speech.png

Cipherr

Whatever, say something stupid and ignorant and get called out; proceed to cry about how no one lets your ignorance merely linger unchallenged anymore like the 'good ol days'.

Yeah okay, well. Hope you can learn to live with that, because its going nowhere.

Lol, you don't know what free speech means. Can this poorly constructed argument be your last stand? Since you constantly bring up how other's free speech are constantly being oppressed.

Bluenoser

Pretty poetic right there, but Glenn Beck is on video stating specifically that he welcomes varied opinions on his staff, and used the example of pro choice/life as a talking point. Then someone says pro-choice is ok, and they get in trouble... same old Beck. Thought he turned a corner when Samantha Bee interviewed him.

Edit Lahren is just a snowflake anyway :)

FreezeSSC

At least we can see more proof that her opinions are purely for money when she's on the network as she lambasts Lena Dunham for having an abortion but then flip-flops that it's not baby genocide but is about limited gov't.

tomi_lahren_abortion_by_digi_matrix-db350t8.png

Her statement: "Conservatives don't have to exist in a monolith" contradicts where she works. Conservative institutions ever since Nixon have been built around certain regressive values and if you don't abide by that, you're out.

$10 says she got pregnant and ran off to get an abortion to not ruin her career....

considering this is the same person who cried about people calling out Colin Moriarty for his shit, I find it hilarious you are going to bat for someone as disgusting as Tomi Lahren

then again, I guess I shouldn't be

I honestly don't think she is pro choice when it comes to ALL women, just herself. Everyone acts different when they are the one being threatened and treated differently.

Same. We see this over and over again from the family values, conservative right. Men who are bigoted against homosexuals renting boys. People who want to protect the "sanctity of marriage" after 5 divorces. And God-fearing, anti-choice women who come out about how they've had abortions before. All their hatred and bigotry is projection. They want to punish others but keep benefits for when they screw up because of an inflated self-righteous attitude. I'm glad she was burned on this and hope it's the start of a downhill slide

jay

Will people ever realize Free Speech just means the government can't exactly censor you?

Probably not

The irony is that it's often free market evangelists who don't understand this. If you get fired for saying something, well isn't that just the invisible hand at work?

Will people ever realize Free Speech just means the government can't exactly censor you?

Probably not

Not as long as it makes for a useful shield to say bigoted, idiotic rhetoric. I'm convinced people who talk about "muh free speech" have either never experienced or ever internalized the concept of consequences for actions performed.

You know for people who claim to be so tough and gun crazy, bemoning safe spaces and the so called "silencing of dissent" these republicans sound like a bunch of god damn babies. Cant wait til these bible clutching morons are no longer able to hold human rights back by a few decades.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, it's not like she was a welder. Her job was to literally fire off conservative talking points ad nauseum. No shit her bosses are gonna be angry at this.

That's not what this is at all. It's retribution. They knew Lahren was planning to leave for a bigger platform so they thought they'd jam her before she left.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why do you call it a culture? Do you not believe that some people are upset with what she said?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm beginning to think that people who keep saying "free speech" in threads like this are trolling.

Like this. What the hell are you even talking about? Do you know what free speech actually is, or is this just a troll?

I guess I must have missed the news that Tomi Lahren or any other Liberal/Conservative had been jailed by the government recently because of them speaking their opinions.

It's not trolling, its that people choose whether or not to take the term as a legal definition under the First Amendment depending on whether they want to summarily dismiss their opponent's opinion or not.

Happy to commit account suicide. My point was we should not be celebrating her inability to speak freely about her stance on abortion. Yes, it's a minority opinion in her party, and yes, I imagine the network she works for is not full of the greatest people on earth. I personally don't find laughing at the irony of Republican rhetoric funny as this reflects a more pressing issue of preventing people from speaking freely against the norms of their "platform." While it was later stated the hold on her show is not due to her being pro-choice, the timeline of events makes that very hard to believe.

She didn't lose her ability so say what she wants. The Blaze is privately owned. If they were forced to broadcast her views, that would be a violation of their free speech. Nothing is stopping Tomi from saying what she wants. She isn't entitled to a platform.

faint.

We're preventing people from speaking freely by calling out their fucking bullshit hypocrisy?

Are you for real?

Not sure I follow. Are you saying she's a hypocrite because she claimed to change her view on abortion? Or are you referring to the right as a whole? I don't believe promoting pro-choice views to a conservative audience is negative, so I have no problem with her doing so.

Now, this chick doesn't even lose her job but gets it put on 'hold' and you think its fucked up that people are happy about this? Like, sure, maybe think people are being a bit harsh but to call people 'fucked up' for it?

Jesus.

Semantics. I could have said messed up, screwed up, or like you said, harsh. No need to read into something that isn't there.

She didn't lose her ability so say what she wants. The Blaze is privately owned. If they were forced to broadcast her views, that would be a violation of their free speech. Nothing is stopping Tomi from saying what she wants. She isn't entitled to a platform.

You're right. I suppose my attempted clarification above didn't really do any good. I'm aware she didn't lose her right to free speech in a literal sense, but her words were effectively censored solely because they are (generally) against conservative ideology. While The Blaze is free to do what they want, what I'm trying to argue here (and perhaps doing a poor job at) is that it was wrong for them to do so.

---

I have gotten a lot of replies, and while I would like to reply to them all, there are a lot of drive-bys that make it difficult to do so. This will probably be my last response in this thread, but to those of you that respectfully disagreed with me such as Earthstrike and Gotchaye, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom