• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Who's the resident Kylie stan? I need a list of her best albums. I've only really listened to her singles.

All The Lovers has such a steamy video.

Everything. Mad-onna has impacted culture several times in wildly different ways.

Rihanus only knows how to change her wig.

I'm a Kylie stan, not sure if I stan hard enough to be the "resident" stan though.

Honestly, all of her albums are good at worst. Hard to really pick out standouts.

But listen to X, my personal favorite of all her post-Fever albums. "In My Arms" alone dragged a lot of pop songs that year.

I've got to be
Got to be certain
I've got to be so sure
I've had my share of hearts broken
And I don't wanna take that any more

Kylie.jpg

Mumei

Just came across this while browsing Youtube. "... amid increasingly arcane claims of mathematical sales superiority." Sounds like stanning to me. <3

She's pretty butch. I've never seen her with a guy.

Then again, Sporty Spice had us ALL FOOLED.

*shrugs*

Who knows. But Dusty is, naturally, superior to Miss Clarkson in any case.

What are your favorite sad songs PopGaf?

not feeling low, just want to make a playlist

I imagine lots of these won't be up your alley, but whatever~

Roy Orbison - Crying
Mariah Carey - Twister, The Wind, Sunflowers for Alfred Roy
Carpenters - Rainy Days and Mondays
Dusty Springfield - I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore, Anyone Who Had A Heart (sorry, Dionne)
Tori Amos - Father Lucifer
Tim Buckley - I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Adam Lambert - Mad World (prefer it over Jules' or Tears for Fears)
Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Elvis Presley - Hurt
Freddie Mercury - How Can I Go On (alt)
Karina Gauvin - Lascia ch'io pianga
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

random collection

Oh, dear. Forgot about Ken Lee.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I know pop-gaf isn't here for minor queens with no drama, but y'alls gotta keep an eye on what's on the horizon, right?

iMTsRYvd8aek4.jpg

Queen of Hearts

Very new on the UK scene (apparently, no one even knows her real name) but super promising. She's working with a different producer on every track released so far, with very good results -- save for a lousy dubstep song. You like Annie, Kylie and Goldfrapp? You gon' like QoH.

"Neon"
"Freestyle"
"Shoot the Bullet"
"Where Are You Now?"
"Spanish Sahara"

Queen of Hearts is pretty good, but a lot of it sounds like warmed-over italo disco with overused samples. Still, better than most, and there are a bunch of interesting songs.

Roy Orbison - Crying
Mariah Carey - Twister, The Wind,
Dusty Springfield - I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore, Anyone Who Had A Heart (sorry, Dionne)
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Elvis Presley - Hurt

Pretty much.

prefer it over Tears for Fears

Ugh, you are just... ugh, the worst.

ipWl6XItVp4ip.gif

Fine, but will you give me that history lesson? You can't go telling me that you have tea that you could spill, but instead you're going to sit at the top of the well and work on your woman-suit. It's just not fair.

One of the few things about pop music that genuinely annoys me - the genre as a whole, not just Madonna - is the tendency to assign credit to the figurehead "singer" rather than the talent behind him or her. With Madge, it's taken on a life of its own. People are quick to claim that she's "reinvented" herself or "changed" music, when literally every iconic album of hers has been engineered by one or more brilliant producers.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying she has had no role to play in her music, her image, or her success. In that sense, she's a notch or three above someone like Britney, who is nothing more than a vessel for a group of over-caffeinated producers who manage to splice together a hit every now and then and slap her chest on an album cover hoping for success. My frustration stems from the fact that some of the names most deserving of "iconic" status - names like Nile Rodgers, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit, and Stuart Price - remain essentially afterthoughts in discussions about her. She is not famous for her voice. She is famous for her music and her image, and she is not responsible for a major element of that equation.

She is not the take-charge, forward-thinking queen she is made out to be. She is not Cyndi. She is not Kate. She is not Annie. She is not Chaka. She is not even Janet, or Gaga, or Shania. She is the chief representative of the worst kind of attitude the genre spawns.

Koodo

Banned
Twitter%20_%20@nbcsnl_%20You%20heard%20that%20right_%20Eli%20....jpg

Lighting up an Alejandro candle and praying for an Ashlee Simpson moment
Rihanus rarely lip syncs.

Unfortunately.

I'm a Kylie stan, not sure if I stan hard enough to be the "resident" stan though.

Honestly, all of her albums are good at worst. Hard to really pick out standouts.

But listen to X, my personal favorite of all her post-Fever albums. "In My Arms" alone dragged a lot of pop songs that year.
Try Fever for starters. It is divine. X is pretty freaking awesome after 2 Hearts.
Merci. &#9829;

I'll try these out.

She is not the take-charge, forward-thinking queen she is made out to be. She is not Cyndi. She is not Kate. She is not Annie. She is not Chaka. She is not even Janet, or Gaga, or Shania. She is the chief representative of the worst kind of attitude the genre spawns.
Mobliney has seen the ligh&#8224;

2HqJ8.gif

William Orbit:

"Having a unique voice in a world of singers -- you know, crowded market! There aren't many singers in the world who the sound of their voice, the sound of their phrasing, is uniquely them... and Madonna is definitely right at the front of them. To get technical for a minute -- because I study these things -- her modulation is threefold. She has a modulation of volume (tremulando), she has a modulation of frequency (vibrato), and she has a modulation of tone (equalization). It's very complex, and she has a huge expressiveness about her voice. I mean, even the way she breathes is absolutely -- and it's passionate, there's a passion there. It's why the fans love her so much. ... There's so much to her voice that is so special. It's easy to forget that... because the songs are so good, the production's so good, the presentation live is so good -- everything's so good that you don't really focus on that [the voice], but it's a really important part of why I like working with Madonna."

"Madonna has phenomenal understanding of both the minutiae of music and the big picture. Zooming in, zooming out. 4ever amazing."

Nile Rodgers:

"I've never met an artist so committed to making the records and perfecting the image."

Paul Oakenfold:

"Madonna was without doubt one of the best artists I have ever worked with. She had so many fantastic ideas and really took her music seriously."

"You can tell that with Madonna, everything is about the music. She's a global name but still works tirelessly in the studio, puts on her best possible live gigs and puts 100 per cent into everything she does."

There are SO MANY MORE.

Mau ®

ThreatenedT
rih17.gif

Who could blame him, his fave is promoting eating disorders on twitterwhile Rih is doing her flaw free promotions, she shall remain cockblocked
rih17.gif

Ch... his fave gets drunk every night. I'd be getting drunk too if I lost half my fanbase from one era to the next
rih17.gif

*waits for Twikenham stadium receipts & random asian shows in venues where even Ricky Martin & Pussycat Dolls get sell outs*
rih17.gif

Kyon

Banned
Ch... his fave gets drunk every night. I'd be getting drunk too if I lost half my fanbase from one era to the next
rih17.gif

*waits for Twikenham stadium receipts & random asian shows in venues where even Ricky Martin & Pussycat Dolls get sell outs*
rih17.gif

Chh.... I cant respond to such a flawless reading, ill just keep posting this smiley
rih17.gif

All of the quotes incredibly vague and noncommittal, saying nothing about her creative involvement.

Next flop.

iCJlRaAYSCfMJ.gif

Brushing aside the facts as per, there are multitudes of quotes about Madonna's creative input from both music producers and fashion designers.

Hope you're enjoying the tea.

Dude, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Here's one more.

"Shep, I think the chorus should go like this," or "I hate this verse, fix the bass line." Deeper and Deeper was one of those songs she always had a problem with. The middle of the song wasn't working. We tried different bridges and changes, but nothing worked. In the end, Madonna wanted the middle of the song to have a flamenco guitar strumming big-time. I didn't like the idea of taking a Philly house song and putting La Isla Bonita in the middle of it. But that's what she wanted, so that's what she got.

Amaze

iGP8TSCPCEV1a.gif

I've read this before.

It's a great description of how Shep basically ran their sessions while she whined the whole time.

lol...

I suppose when you spiral so deep into a lie and are aware of it, you just keep telling yourself it's the truth until it becomes your reality.

Meanwhile, everyone else POINTS and LAUGHS
ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

Kyon

Banned
Forget eating disorders, someone should tweet Caca some tips about CURING UGLY.

Oh you went there
ny2.gif

Why isnt the Princess of China video out yet? A mess
rih1.jpg

I need my slayage and i need it now. Your faves wont see it coming, it will probably spike the single up the BB chart. The thought is just...
ny14.gif

The Rihanna Reign refuses to let up nevertheless
at1AU.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom