• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Enzom21

I like how he lies about his age on Tinder and then acts like he HAS to do it as a favor for the girls because otherwise they wouldn't see him!
Every crazy thing he does has a rationalization. "I'm going to send my dirty underwear to some dude because it is flattering to me."

Memet is probably the best staffer in recent months. He's actually entertaining unlike these other fucks.
He is not the best. He is currently the most entertaining because he is so insane.

----
Does anyone else hate the constant barrage of phony phone calls? I see it as Howard trying to fill some time in the show. He has made me hate them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jeff the Drunk is on Periscope all the damn time. How is he still alive?

Is he still on the show? It's been years since I listened to new ones.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The whole "JD's girlfriend/fiancé is off-limits" has potential to be truly great stuff with the wedding coming, I hope they eventually get her to come on or something and still disguise her voice, lol.

There's been suspicion that Robin is not in the studio and I wasn't sure until the Adam Sandler interview this morning. Adam says hi to Robin and you can tell by the tone of Adam's voice that he was saying hi to Robin's voice via ISDN.

Grinchy

Banned
The difference in audio is immediately obvious when she's on the ISDN. I haven't been listening to the recent shows, but someone posted a youtube clip and it was very clear that Robin was not there. The guest was looking at the floor while talking to her and her audio sounded exactly like it used to when she was working from home.

That would really suck if she is fighting cancer again.

You can just tell when she's trying to interject into the conversation, she has to wait for silence because interruptions create this word back and forth.

Also I've been behind and bouncing in and out of replays, there was awkward Fred vs. Howard moment when Howard said Fred is impossible to communicate with and Fred hits back that Howard is impossible to work with. Conversation changed quickly but daaamn. You can tell they hate each other in the most passive aggressive way.

Hux1ey

Banned
Lol.

C-v9ZZiXcAACV6-.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I remember when those 2 guys used to be allowed to make the show funny. That feels like forever ago.

btw I got about 10 minutes into the new Adam Sandler movie on Netflix. Bababooey has a little cameo on it.

alr1ght

I saw Norm a week or so ago. Somebody yelled out Artie's name and things got real awkward and Norm avoided it like the plague. I'm assuming they're still friends, though.

Hux1ey

Banned
I remember when those 2 guys used to be allowed to make the show funny. That feels like forever ago.

The gay stunts were hilarious, plus the emotional friend stuff, Sal's racist comments.

Just letting Sal on air was always gold in some way, but of course it pissed off Howard.

Dalek

The gay stunts were hilarious, plus the emotional friend stuff, Sal's racist comments.

Just letting Sal on air was always gold in some way, but of course it pissed off Howard.

I always like finding out what Sal does and doesn't know.

alr1ght

Meet Marci Turk, the Woman Behind Howard Stern (WSJ)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-woman-behind-howard-sternstern-1493675605?tesla=y

By Joe Flint May 1, 2017 5:53 p.m. ET 0 COMMENTS She is rarely mentioned on-air. She doesn’t have a funny nickname like producer Gary Dell’Abate’s “ Baba Booey ” nor is she endlessly teased and tormented like staff writer Benjy Bronk. Not even many longtime listeners know her name.

But to anyone close to Howard Stern, the self-proclaimed king of all media, Marci Turk is “The Howard Whisperer.” The chief operating officer of Mr. Stern’s Sirius XM Satellite radio operations, Ms. Turk has become something of a gatekeeper to the radio star and one of his most trusted advisers.

As Mr. Stern tries to broaden his appeal and soften his image, some fans are complaining Ms. Turk has cleaned up the shock jock and made him safe for the kind of celebrities he used to mock. With Mr. Stern devoting more of his show to being a serious interviewer, Ms. Turk is often accused in chat rooms of making him more politically correct. In February, for example, Mr. Stern spent 90 minutes interviewing “Girls” star and creator Lena Dunham who later called him a “feminist.” Musician Sheryl Crow and actor Steve Martin have been guests. Lengthy celebrity interviews mean less time for his usual high jinks.

Mr. Stern mentioned Ms. Turk on air two weeks ago in a diatribe at listeners who miss the old Howard. “The new thing from the people who now hate me is, ‘oh Howard changed because of Marci Turk … he got this woman in there and she calls the shots on the show and she won’t let him do this or that,’ ” Mr. Stern said on his April 19 show. The show’s subjects, he continued are “where I want to go.”

“It seems like all the drama around her has to do with the longstanding Howard Stern aficionados,” says Eric Sherman, a longtime talent manager whose clients have included Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler, who has often appeared on the show. “Under her watch, he has excelled,” he adds.

Mr. Stern, Ms. Turk and Mr. Dell’Abate didn’t respond to requests for comment.

The 63-year-old Mr. Stern has two Sirius satellite radio channels. Howard 100 carries his now three-days-a-week program; Howard 101 is primarily a highlight reel, featuring shows going as far back as his days at WXRK-FM New York in the 1980s and 1990s. Sirius has over 31 million subscribers but doesn’t break out Mr. Stern’s audience. However he is their biggest star.

While Mr. Stern has made practically all of his crew part of the show, Ms. Turk has remained mostly behind the scenes. She has been working with Mr. Stern since 2012. At that time, Mr. Stern was growing frustrated with managing all the details of his show, people close to him say. He had recently joined the NBC show “America’s Got Talent” as a judge.

Mr. Stern also was seeking to elevate his show and create a friendly atmosphere for lengthy interviews with actors and musicians. He has said on-air that he had gone just about as far as he could go interviewing a steady stream of strippers and adult-film stars.

So Mr. Stern called David Allen, author of “Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity” and asked for help.

“He contacted our offices directly and asked, ‘hey do you have any coaches,’ ” says Mr. Allen, who directed him to Ms. Turk who had been working out of David Allen Co.’s New York office. Ms. Turk was a good fit, Mr. Allen says, because “she’s smart, savvy, classy, hip and fast.”

In December 2012, Mr. Stern summoned his staff to an auditorium in the McGraw Hill building in Midtown Manhattan, which is home to Sirius XM. Mr. Stern berated his staff for not getting his show to the next level, people in attendance say.

“He yelled at everybody about a dress code and literally referred to staff looking like homeless people,” one person who was there recalls.

Ms. Turk didn’t attend, but Mr. Stern mentioned that he was bringing her on in a senior role. That led to an awkward moment when Mr. Dell’Abate, the longtime executive producer of the show raised his hand and asked if he would now report to her instead of him after nearly 30 years. Mr. Stern paused and said, “Actually Gary you do,” according to another attendee.

Ms. Turk moved to lead outreach to bigger stars and their publicists to entice them to come on the show and convince them it was a safe environment. Behind the scenes, Ms. Turk had the “green room” where guests wait to be interviewed redone. Goofy photos of staffers were taken down in favor of more show-friendly art. Guests received gift baskets for appearing. Staffers were no longer allowed to use the green room as a recreation room.

During his April 19 show, Mr. Stern said he had strippers and naked women on for years and “you’ve got to constantly change up the show and constantly work on what you find funny.”

Ms. Turk didn’t attend, but Mr. Stern mentioned that he was bringing her on in a senior role. That led to an awkward moment when Mr. Dell’Abate, the longtime executive producer of the show raised his hand and asked if he would now report to her instead of him after nearly 30 years. Mr. Stern paused and said, “Actually Gary you do,” according to another attendee.

Ouch

NYR

Howard knew that article was coming out, he brought up Marci for the first time without being asked directly.

Hux1ey

Banned
Were? You mean like the gay stuff that literally just happened on last week's show with Takei?

They still happen.

They happened almost every damn day back in 06/07, not once a year like now. Hearing Artie getting uncomfortable was hilarious. "What are we doing!?!?!"

Also I don't get why people blame Marci for Howard changing, it's like when people hated Beth for turning him into hamptonite. Howard chose to move to the Hamptons, Howard chose to marry a "model" and Howard chose to hire Marci.

All that shit is on him.

Grinchy

Banned
Gary knows that this show won't go on forever. Like Fred, I think he's just sticking it out so he can land something afterward. I don't think many of the people left there have much admiration for Howard anymore.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Doesn't seem to be much info in that article that your average conspiracy theorist redditor doesn't know. I was hoping there would be a little more to it. But I tend to believe what Howard said about her: it's not her call how the show has gone, he's just changed with age and what he wants to accomplish nowadays.

NYR

Gary knows that this show won't go on forever. Like Fred, I think he's just sticking it out so he can land something afterward. I don't think many of the people left there have much admiration for Howard anymore.
This is Gary's house below in Greenwich, Connecticut. Trust me, he is retiring after Howard goes, he's a multi-millionaire. Him, Howard, Robin, Fred and Jon Hein will retire, they all have money. The rest are fucked.

gary-dell-abate-house-1.jpg

452007115918.jpg

IMG_6517.JPG

Dalek

This is Gary's house below in Greenwich, Connecticut. Trust me, he is retiring after Howard goes, he's a multi-millionaire. Him, Howard, Robin, Fred and Jon Hein will retire, they all have money. The rest are fucked.

gary-dell-abate-house-1.jpg

452007115918.jpg

IMG_6517.JPG

Sonos, Boff

Grinchy

Banned
I don't think for a second that he has that house paid off. And I have a very hard time believing he's a multi-millionaire.

If Artie was making $700K per year and Gary was getting paid more (from the fight they had), even at $1M per year, after taxes and expenses with his family, I can't imagine Gary being so well off he could retire.

mattiewheels

You didn't show the stools!

appaws

Banned
Everybody gets old. All knives lose their edge. Luckily we all have a massive amount of great howard moments to enjoy for the rest of our lives.

The Kree

Banned
I just heard the story of Vinny emailing Dana about Artie's Letterman appearance. I had only heard references to it before now.

Happened like ten years ago but I still wanna punch Vinny in the face. What an asshole.

NYR

If anyone is Jonesing for the old stuff, highly recommend Wack History Month on demand, been listening to it every Thursday and Friday.

Dalek

I liked the prank call this week where Richard called in from the train station and you heard the announcements.

Enzom21

If anyone is Jonesing for the old stuff, highly recommend Wack History Month on demand, been listening to it every Thursday and Friday.
I really wish he would've gone through with the third channel of just his old shows.
It think it is pretty obvious he abandoned it when he realized he wanted to edit/censor the old shows to hell and back and it would take time and money.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm still all the way back in August of 2016 (can you tell I'm not listening very regularly anymore?) and I loved the episode with Jimbal Kimbal sitting in.

mattiewheels

I'm still all the way back in August of 2016 (can you tell I'm not listening very regularly anymore?) and I loved the episode with Jimbal Kimbal sitting in.
Those two are definitely doing something together when Howard retires in 3 years.

NYR

Howard was such a DICK to Richard today about being in GOTG2. Talk about being a whiny little bitch.

Dalek

Howard was such a DICK to Richard today about being in GOTG2. Talk about being a whiny little bitch.

I just heard that and I was floored. What the fuck. Why can't you just say "Oh ok-that's cool for you Richard. Good job."

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
He was in GOTG2? I only get to listen for half an hour in the mornings on my way to work so I missed the segment. What happened?

mattiewheels

He's credited as "Down There", lolol.

I just heard that and I was floored. What the fuck. Why can't you just say "Oh ok-that's cool for you Richard. Good job."

I haven't listened in probably a year now. I want to, I'd like to, but I refuse to pay that highway robbery price for internet streaming only and I got tired of remembering to create new email accounts for the free month. I want to find some kind of deal for internet streaming only like they have for the radios.

Let me guess though. He went into his usual spiel about how he only got that outside gig because he's on the Howard Stern show, etc etc?

NYR

Let me guess though. He went into his usual spiel about how he only got that outside gig because he's on the Howard Stern show, etc etc?
Kind of, he was more saying he was casted as a joke and he doesn't realize they are making fun of him. That, of course, was complete bullshit, Gunn even tweeted a few days ago that he was casted since he was such a huge fan of Richard.

The Kree

Banned
You'd be a miserable piece of shit too if you let your wife fill your house with crippled cats because you won't give her a baby and she still stops fucking you.

NYR

Uh oh. Show not live today. Something major happened.

They said yesterday that Fallon was coming in today so this is definitely not normal.

My guess is one of Howard's parents died.

MisterR

They said yesterday that Fallon was coming in today so this is definitely not normal.

Very concerning. Howard never cancels shows.

Enzom21

Or something with Robin considering she's been out of the studio lately.
Edit: It was a personal day.

Top Bottom