• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Oily, Gentlemanly Super Spin Fighter 4 Reveal Thread of Kunoichis and Karatekas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seriously, if Mokoto and Ibuki aren't added in, I think we can easily infer that the whole "listening to the fans" line is a pile of crap.

ZealousD said:
Seriously, if Mokoto and Ibuki aren't added in, I think we can easily infer that the whole "listening to the fans" line is a pile of crap.

Well, if we're going with the whole 'majority of SF fans' theme of the thread, people who care about SF3 characters are small in numbers.

A friend of mine whose in the sf4 circuit out in AZ said he knows who will be added but refused to tell me , he did say he'll be playing as guy. This is coming from a kid whose actually faced Daigo (correct me if I'm spelling his name wrong)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
~Devil Trigger~ said:
I dont think those are results from not having Arcade based focus testing

Abel has an infinite on Rufus,
Akuma pseudo infinite on some characters
weird hitbox "glitches" on certain characters and moves
Guile and Vega being low tier,
Fuerte's slide glitch on Balrog
Sagat being, by most accounts, overpowered

...all of these are in the Arcade version, no game is released without focus testing, but no game is without loops and some holes. Specially fighting games.

two things i'll about this whole Ono announcement:

1 - i think SSF4 will come to Arcades in japan in 2010, b4 or after console release? i dunno

2 - If they dont, i dont think the Street Fighter community will die, or begin to die. As for the community in Japan, i think it will diminish but the hardcore Street Fighter Fans that like Street Fighter more than the "arcade scene" will stick to it.

I went to 6 of the 8 location tests, and even between those tests, they were very different.

Off the top of my head, Guile had a much better flashkick (I don't know why it was nerfed), Zangief's Lariat gave him more meter than it does now, Ryu's Ultra did near 70% naked on anyone, same with Ken's Ultra, Sagat's Tiger Uppercut did slightly more damage.

And for the person asking why no one "noticed" Sagat's overpoweredness.... everyone knew he was strong, no one knew he was THAT strong. Everyone at the tests knew that his Tiger Upper was really good in this game, and that his Tiger Knee was also really good, but beyond that no one knew his potential. Kind of hard to do that in 6 weekends, with 100+ people wanting to play different characters. As far as I know, FADC -> Ultra for Ryu was discovered in Sept or Oct, and the game came out in July. FADC -> Ultra for Sagat was discovered shortly after that, and FADC -> f+RH -> Ultra was discovered maybe a month or so after IIRC. All the cool setups that are standard now were found in the arcade MONTHS after the official release. You can't really test those kind of things at a location test because it takes months of experimentation and play to discover it.

black_vegeta said:
For focus testing on the console versions, why won't they just ask the elite from the US to test that shit and pay the men!!!???

As far as I know, a lot of the top players in the US did test it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
THe best way to balance out SSFIV is to do your best, prepare for the worst.

Keep budget for two patches, one at @3mos (or less if urgent) one @9mos.

I mean, Evo was about 9 months out, I don't think anything earthshattering was found after Evo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DryEyeRelief said:
Well, if we're going with the whole 'majority of SF fans' theme of the thread, people who care about SF3 characters are small in numbers.

And people who care about T.Hawk are even smaller.

arstal said:
It will sting in Japan. I think there should be an arcade version.

That said, I don't think either of those issues affects American SF, outside of a potential sloppiness to the game, that could be fixed with patches. I think some of the whiners in the thread are vastly underestimating the quality of American players.

Magical Sugoi Nipponland does not make you invincible. I'm a mediocre SF player , yet I'm sure if you plopped me at a Japanese arcade, I wouldn't be the worst player there.
Rofl. Sigh please try to checkout japan one of these days. Even top players from the US get humbled in Japanese arcades. If you don't consider yourself pretty good your going to be losing 99% of the time to "scrubs". It's not a fluke that pretty much all foreign teams are eliminated 1st round in SBO.

Caj814

Oichi said:

As far as testing goes,SSF4 would definitely benefit A LOT more now than vanilla SF4 did, because everyone who has played for awhile now has a good idea on how the gameplay system works,so stuff like FADC and juggle related setups would come to light much quicker when compared to the original SF4 tests.

Now,the testing of new and major FA modifications. . .that would first need a detailed explanation from the developers to the testers so anything major could get ironed out before its full release.

dfyb

Banned
obligatory "...would be awesome" post:
necro_big.jpg

dhalsim needs a rival. plus Necro is a ton of fun to play.

Oro.jpg

Oro would be awesome, too

SFIV is being too conservative

Caj814

anotheriori said:
Rofl. Sigh please try to checkout japan one of these days. Even top players from the US get humbled in Japanese arcades. If you don't consider yourself pretty good your going to be losing 99% of the time to "scrubs". It's not a fluke that pretty much all foreign teams are eliminated 1st round in SBO.

Not a fluke but it's also the way we usually handle tourneys in the US.The majority of Japanese tournaments are SINGLE elimination.While U.S are DOUBLE elimination so we get a chance to feel out our opponents.That is something that is going to have to change one of these days :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ZealousD said:
And people who care about T.Hawk are even smaller.
This frightens me as my mains would be Gen (currently), Hawk and Makoto. I got love for the unloved and ignored always. It's how I roll in SF. "Send me your huddled masses" and I'll make sure they get a fair shake. ;-)

I gotta say though, I always hated T.Hawk. Well, until HDR came out. Being able to do standing 360s...makes him a happy alternative to Gief. Hopefully he won't be popular so I can be unique. Too many Giefs out there.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Caj814 said:
Not a fluke but it's also the way we usually handle tourneys in the US.The majority of Japanese tournaments are SINGLE elimination.While U.S are DOUBLE elimination so we get a chance to feel out our opponents.That is something that is going to have to change one of these days :lol

If anything, US players are at a bigger disadvantage in Japan then Japanese players are in the US.

BTW, I've played Japanese online- they have good players and scrubs just like anywhere else.

Most of my online experience was KOF98- where I occasionally got asked if I was Chinese or Korean due to my playstyle and the fact they couldn't beleive a real American could hang with them.

As for Japan players being great- yeah, but it's the headstart that helps them out a lot.
In games they don't get a headstart in (Soul calibur, KOF) other countries can beat Japan, and have- the Chinese dominate Japan in KOF, and french win at Soul Calibur.

Caj814

arstal said:
If anything, US players are at a bigger disadvantage in Japan then Japanese players are in the US.

BTW, I've played Japanese online- they have good players and scrubs just like anywhere else.

Most of my online experience was KOF98- where I occasionally got asked if I was Chinese or Korean due to my playstyle and the fact they couldn't beleive a real American could hang with them.

As for Japan players being great- yeah, but it's the headstart that helps them out a lot.
In games they don't get a headstart in (Soul calibur, KOF) other countries can beat Japan, and have- the Chinese dominate Japan in KOF, and french win at Soul Calibur.

Btw,isn't one of the reasons the French dominate Soul Calibur is because they play characters that are rarely seen in tourneys around the rest of the world?

dfyb

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Fuck no. SF3 will were never and will never be as memorable as the SF2 characters. And that's because they fucking suck.
sometimes i get confused between SF2 characters and the Planeteers.

Pimpbaa said:
Fuck no. SF3 will were never and will never be as memorable as the SF2 characters. And that's because they fucking suck.

:lol

Anyway I'm going to fantasies about Oro vs Gen match-ups now. There would be so many great rivalries between the SF2/4 and 3S cast, wish they could fit all of them in eventually...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
arstal said:

The French came to SBO for SC3 and were out by the second round... the Americans were there too (two of them) and both got peaced out in the first round. The only other foreigner to get further was FetZ for SC2, and he placed fourth in the entire tournament. And honestly, the SC community in Japan for SC2/3 was good, but not big, and therefore did not advance quickly because of it. I don't know how KOF is in Japan because I am largely disinterested in it other than 98UM and 2002UM so I won't speak on it.

Edit:

Caj814 said:
Btw,isn't one of the reasons the French dominate Soul Calibur is because they play characters that are rarely seen in tourneys around the rest of the world?

No, the French are legitimately good at Soulcalibur. I was part of the team representing Canada that went over to Cannes for SC2 Worlds, and they are definitely legit, no gimmicks, just straight up amazing play.

One thing I've wanted to ask has to do with the number of shoto characters. How does everyone feel about having so many of them? I personally could do without so many of them, as it is a bit of filler imo, since they could be replaced with people that are more unique. On the other hand, its is just more characters, which is never really a bad thing regardless of who they are, as its just more options. Whats the general consensus on the shoto style clan?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pimpbaa said:
Fuck no. SF3 were never and will never be as memorable as the SF2 characters. And that's because they fucking suck.
yawn. They don't suck at all, they just can't overcome years of nostalgia and a natural fear of change. Personally, I got bored of the old cast by the Alpha series. *shrug*

Askia47

Pimpbaa said:
Fuck no. SF3 were never and will never be as memorable as the SF2 characters. And that's because they fucking suck.

You have every SF2 character in, now its our turn! Hopefully a SF3 character appears tomorrow. Its probably going to be a new person all together though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pimpbaa said:
no.

Pimpbaa

Askia47 said:
You have every SF2 character in, now its our turn! Hopefully a SF3 character appears tomorrow. Its probably going to be a new person all together though.

Yeah, SF2 characters are in. Now they need to put SF alpha characters in (which also has a more likeable cast than SF3).

Caj814

Pimpbaa said:
milhousegaf.jpg

Hearing that in his voice makes this post even more hilarious :lol

kitzkozan

Pimpbaa said:

I do not think SF III characters are total trash,but they can't be as memorable since III was a commercial failure and most casuals do not really care about them or even know who they are. :p The best selling SF games since the II era have been alpha 3 which had the 16 characters from II and SF IV which will also have those 16 characters.

III characters are mostly relevant to semi-hardcore fans who bought or played 3rd strike in the arcades or on the DC.I think the human characters of III will be accepting without any trouble,but the freaks are still a big turnoff for a lot o people. :lol

Oro is absolute trash imo,but I'm sure he's got fans just like Birdie,Sodom,Adon or T.Hawk do. :D I think Oro,Remy,Twelve,Q,Necro,Urien(yep,not a fan at all of the freaks or Remy) are failures as far as expending the SF image,but you can't please everyone or get everything right anyway.Dudley,Alex,Makoto,Ibuki,Hugo,Elena along with Yang/Yun are worthy addition to the SF legacy.I actually prefer Hugo to Zangief as far as huge power character goes,but I respect the fact that Gief is the original dumb power dude. :lol

Steaks

Pimpbaa said:
Actually most of them rule.
British black gentleman boxer.
Mexican with a superiority complex wearing nothing but a thong.
A robot in a trenchcoat who looks like he has no idea how to fight at all whos moves are named after what he does.
A gigantic guy wearing a pink leopard-skin tank top with a transexual for a manager.
A really old guy who takes naps in the air.
Oh and hulk hogan.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So I saw the teaser... and I came... I saw a trailer and I almost died of heart attack, is there anything more about the game? I wish they would stick the trailer music to the games:lol

Relix said:
So I saw the teaser... and I came... I saw a trailer and I almost died of heart attack, is there anything more about the game? I wish they would stick the trailer music to the games:lol
Hopefully they put the per round remix style back in as well. That was one of the best things about 3rd strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom