• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Mzo

I had to skip the Dr. Insano part. I can usually grit my teeth through those segments but this one was unbearably long. The rest was good.

so he just gave up. :(

bummer, and by this there is no way he'll ever review XIII-2 because it's much worse that XIII.

As I said I suspect this is the reason why he wants to end XIII and get straight to XIII-2 as soon as possible. Spoony has said that he thinks XIII-2 is even worse than XIII so I think he has more material to work with, his whole script for XIII got scrapped and probably lost interest for this review for a while.

Going with this XIII-2 is supposedly his most hated FF game to date.

Jawmuncher

As I said I suspect this is the reason why he wants to end XIII and get straight to XIII-2 as soon as possible. Spoony has said that he thinks XIII-2 is even worse than XIII so I think he has more material to work with, his whole script for XIII got scrapped and probably lost interest for this review for a while.

Going with this XIII-2 is supposedly his most hated FF game to date.

Agreed.
Besides there wasn't even much material left for him to cover besides complaining that the story still sucks.

Look forward to him tearing apart XIII-2.
Absolutely hated it and can't understand why anyone could like it more than 13.
(Don't get me wrong 13 still sucks) But I guess the illusion of freedom in that games was all people needed.

LiK

Agreed.
Besides there wasn't even much material left for him to cover besides complaining that the story still sucks.

Look forward to him tearing apart XIII-2.
Absolutely hated it and can't understand why anyone could like it more than 13.
(Don't get me wrong 13 still sucks) But I guess the illusion of freedom in that games was all people needed.

no whiny Hope and Snow was hardly in it.

MechaX

While it sucks that Spoony gave up on it, I can kind of see why; the story pretty much spins its wheels for the rest of the game.

Izick

Great review. This is never going to happen, but I wished Spoony ditched the whole completely scripted, skit-filled review video. It did make me think about some things.

Spoony was one of the pioneers (it's funny saying that word about something that's barely more than a half-decade old) of these types of videos. Him, James Rolfe, and Doug (from TGWtG) all were. The truth is that times have changed. Cameras have gotten clearer, HD has become the standard, and pretty much everything about the internet has lost that grainy charm of the mid 00's. These types of reviews were great when acting and quality of footage didn't matter all that much, but frankly, now they do. The grainy, 240p footage kind of made the corny acting charming and funny. Props didn't look so cheesy. There's a million people doing this kind of video, and 99% of them aren't funny. Hell, even the best in the game (Spoony) doesn't always knock it out of the part with his review stuff.

The problem I have with a lot of this stuff is these people seem to still be focusing on the wrong things. Skits aren't funny. They are funny 1/3rd of the time on television, and those are made by the best and brightest writers in the world. Acting is only effective and well done 1% of the time, and once again that's by the best people in the world who do it. You really have to have a unique set-up, or you at least have to keep it very short so the punch is there. Long skits kill the video's humor.

I'm hoping we see that next step some day. I've always wanted to actually start making these types of videos, but I haven't ever tried because I haven't had that idea yet. I don't want to see another guy layer footage over clearly fake outrage, recurring memes/bits, etc. Not because that's not great, but for anyone besides Spoony and AVGN, it feels kind of hackey at this point. It's not funny because you can't earn it like they did by making videos that were cutting edge and unique for the time in the mid 00's.

So, to reiterate the point, that's not to say I don't love his videos still. They're always entertaining and quality. He earned that humor, and he still has consistently funny videos. This wasn't a shot at this review really, just a general thought about the whole genre of Youtube videos. I of course would rather see realistic reviews and VLOG's that come out more consistently than these big productions though. Counter Monkey is an example of something that nobody did, or at least nobody presented it in a palatable way for viewers. He's still got it, obviously.

Sorry about the ramble, but I was just thinking about that a lot after I finished watching this video.

Side-note: It was so weird Spoony talk while rap music played. Good song though.

Dereck

Great review. This is never going to happen, but I wished Spoony ditched the whole completely scripted, skit-filled review video. It did make me think about some things.

Spoony was one of the pioneers (it's funny saying that word about something that's barely more than a half-decade old) of these types of videos. Him, James Rolfe, and Doug (from TGWtG) all were. The truth is that times have changed. Cameras have gotten clearer, HD has become the standard, and pretty much everything about the internet has lost that grainy charm of the mid 00's. These types of reviews were great when acting and quality of footage didn't matter all that much, but frankly, now they do. The grainy, 240p footage kind of made the corny acting charming and funny. Props didn't look so cheesy. There's a million people doing this kind of video, and 99% of them aren't funny. Hell, even the best in the game (Spoony) doesn't always knock it out of the part with his review stuff.

The problem I have with a lot of this stuff is these people seem to still be focusing on the wrong things. Skits aren't funny. They are funny 1/3rd of the time on television, and those are made by the best and brightest writers in the world. Acting is only effective and well done 1% of the time, and once again that's by the best people in the world who do it. You really have to have a unique set-up, or you at least have to keep it very short so the punch is there. Long skits kill the video's humor.

I'm hoping we see that next step some day. I've always wanted to actually start making these types of videos, but I haven't ever tried because I haven't had that idea yet. I don't want to see another guy layer footage over clearly fake outrage, recurring memes/bits, etc. Not because that's not great, but for anyone besides Spoony and AVGN, it feels kind of hackey at this point. It's not funny because you can't earn it like they did by making videos that were cutting edge and unique for the time in the mid 00's.

So, to reiterate the point, that's not to say I don't love his videos still. They're always entertaining and quality. He earned that humor, and he still has consistently funny videos. This wasn't a shot at this review really, just a general thought about the whole genre of Youtube videos. I of course would rather see realistic reviews and VLOG's that come out more consistently than these big productions though. Counter Monkey is an example of something that nobody did, or at least nobody presented it in a palatable way for viewers. He's still got it, obviously.

Sorry about the ramble, but I was just thinking about that a lot after I finished watching this video.

Side-note: It was so weird Spoony talk while rap music played. Good song though.
I doubt you're unaware, but Roo from Clan of the Gray Wolf sounds like what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOqnD5WyQ5c

Jawmuncher

Good points indeed. Especially agree with you as well. Since I've been following these guys basically since they started. As well as have had thoughts of doing my own show as well.
Anyway I can completely relate where you're coming from especially in the skit department.
Some people like them but its few and far between. If you ever checked out linkara on TGWTG you know exactly what I'm talking. Skit galore in there with its own storyline and everything.

Though that usually stems from the "I do these reviews for myself rather than everyone else". Lastly I have to agree about the times changing. Definitely had changed the environment for these a lot. Though I personally just can't put my finger on it.

Soriku

The skit could've been a minute shorter. I still thought that skit and his other skits were hilarious, low quality or not.

Izick

I doubt you're unaware, but Roo from Clan of the Gray Wolf sounds like what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOqnD5WyQ5c

Already a big fan of all of CotGW's work.

Good points indeed. Especially agree with you as well. Since I've been following these guys basically since they started. As well as have had thoughts of doing my own show as well.
Anyway I can completely relate where you're coming from especially in the skit department.
Some people like them but its few and far between. If you ever checked out linkara on TGWTG you know exactly what I'm talking. Skit galore in there with its own storyline and everything.

Though that usually stems from the "I do these reviews for myself rather than everyone else". Lastly I have to agree about the times changing. Definitely had changed the environment for these a lot. Though I personally just can't put my finger on it.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm still waiting on for the next revolution in this medium. I still love Spoony's (and others like AVGN's) work, but there are a lot of possibilities that I think haven't been realized or uncracked yet. I hope that comes sooner rather than later, but I'll still enjoy the current stuff.

flyover

Great review. This is never going to happen, but I wished Spoony ditched the whole completely scripted, skit-filled review video.

I've never liked the skits either, but it may be that that's what's most fun for him. If it's what gets him to do the rest of the review, then it's worth it. Kind of like a commercial offers financial incentive to keep making videos, a skit is creative incentive.

That said, the weapon upgrade bit was actually pretty good. At first, I thought, "Aw, crap. Stupid Dr. Insano bit." And it was totally predictable. But because he committed to it and it went on and on and on (and without an edit for a good long time), it gradually broke me down and won me over.

Izick

I've never liked the skits either, but it may be that that's what's most fun for him. If it's what gets him to do the rest of the review, then it's worth it. Kind of like a commercial offers financial incentive to keep making videos, a skit is creative incentive.

That said, the weapon upgrade bit was actually pretty good. At first, I thought, "Aw, crap. Stupid Dr. Insano bit." And it was totally predictable. But because he committed to it and it went on and on and on (and without an edit for a good long time), it gradually broke me down and won me over.

You could definitely be right. Like I said, I don't really want/need for him to change to something he's not, but it's something that I'd like to see. Either way I'll still really enjoy his videos.

Spoony's skits always have great ideas behind them, but they last waaay too long. It was a 5 minute skit that should have only been 30 seconds

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Spoony's skits always have great ideas behind them, but they last waaay too long. It was a 5 minute skit that should have only been 30 seconds

yeah,that part should've been 30 sec max.

then again he is a very close friend to Linkara, who made skits longer than the reviews. so maybe it's contagious or something :p

Izick

It's his own show, so he can obviously do what he wants, but like I said before, professionals that do stuff like this half like a 1 out of 3 success rate. You always have to be conscious of time, because that's the biggest assault on humor.

The problem probably is that before you edit down the final product, you spend all of this time and effort putting together this minute long skit, and by the time you go to edit it down, it feels like you're losing something if you don't include all, or the vast majority of it in the final video.

Spoony said:
NOTE: Don’t worry, folks, I will review XIII-2, and naturally, I can’t address the events of that game without covering the endgame of XIII. Don’t worry that the “ragequit” ending was the end of FF13. Basically I was trying to illustrate that THAT was the exact point where I quit the game in real life.

Izick

Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif

Soriku

Almost as much as I want to play Versus XIII I want to see Spoony review it, whenever it releases or however it turns out.

Looking forward to the XIII-2 review.

Mikey Jr.

I have honestly no idea if I just forgot or what, but I am trying to rewatch his reviews on the 3 old Star Trek movies he did, but for the love of God I cant find them. Like, google doesn't even mention them like he never did them.

Am I completely misremembering?

I have honestly no idea if I just forgot or what, but I am trying to rewatch his reviews on the 3 old Star Trek movies he did, but for the love of God I cant find them. Like, google doesn't even mention them like he never did them.

Am I completely misremembering?

did you check tgwtg.com? Maybe he did it as a crossover or something so he's not credited with it. I don't remember them at all, I checked his site and didnt see anything, and I think he's normally pretty good with archiving everything.

Mikey Jr.

did you check tgwtg.com? Maybe he did it as a crossover or something so he's not credited with it. I don't remember them at all, I checked his site and didnt see anything, and I think he's normally pretty good with archiving everything.

No, it wasn't a crossover. I remember laughing really hard from his Star Trek Nemesis review.

He did those reviews. I fucking know it. Its one of those things where I am 99% its him, but theres is this 1% that is nagging me, and google isnt helping me at all.

Fuck me, it was red letter media. My bad. My memory sucks.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
No, it wasn't a crossover. I remember laughing really hard from his Star Trek Nemesis review.

He did those reviews. I fucking know it. Its one of those things where I am 99% its him, but theres is this 1% that is nagging me, and google isnt helping me at all.
You're thinking of Red Letter Media. Spoony never reviewed any ST movies.

Fuck me, it was red letter media. My bad. My memory sucks.

You sure you're not mistaking it with RedLetterMedia, they've done all the Next Gen Star Trek movies? I can't remember Spoony doing a Trek review :s

EDIT: And Freshmaker beats me by a minute :p

Top Bottom