• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

MacNille

Banned
Wtf, a bullet just went through his girlfriend's window. That's going to put a damper on his day. She's alright, thankfully.

I saw that too. Thank god that she is ok.
I still like his new videos. The VCR wrestling game was fucking hilarious. They aren't as funny as his older video but still fun enough.

Into

Modern Spoony is so underwhelming :|
What happened to him from the Phantasmagoria 2 days to now?

It sucks, he used to be so entertaining and he also looked like a guy who had more energy.

He seems so depressed, angry, tired these days. The last 2-3 years.

At his peak, when he did that X Files game review, Bayou Billy and all those others he was more entertaining than most YouTube AVGN knockoffs, and id argue at his prime he was funnier than the Nerd or anyone else ever was.

He made the same mistake many on TGWTG made, they made sure to ban anyone who dared offer any criticism to their work (which is ironic since they criticize the works of others for a living) and they never got any good feedback, just 5 stars for every video. Which meant that their video stagnated and they just kept doing the same thing over and over.

I used to watch Spoony all the time, i barely go to his site these days. I know he has been sick and has had issues, so i am not trying to be insensitive to that, but his quality has severely dipped.

LiK

Modern Spoony is so underwhelming :|
What happened to him from the Phantasmagoria 2 days to now?

He doesn't seem as inspired as he used to be. His recent videos just don't interest me as much. I don't even care about his Counter-Monkey vids. I miss his older style movie and game reviews. This is probably why I'm excited for more FF reviews.

It sucks, he used to be so entertaining and he also looked like a guy who had more energy.

At his peak, when he did that X Files game review, Bayou Billy and all those others he was more entertaining than most YouTube AVGN knockoffs, and id argue at his prime he was funnier than the Nerd or anyone else ever was.

He made the same mistake many on TGWTG made, they made sure to ban anyone who dared offer any criticism to their work (which is ironic since they criticize the works of others for a living) and they never got any good feedback, just 5 stars for every video. Which meant that their video stagnated and they just kept doing the same thing over and over.

I used to watch Spoony all the time, i barely go to his site these days. I know he has been sick and has had issues, so i am not trying to be insensitive to that, but his quality has severely dipped.

Agree on all points. Even his vlog movie reviews became a bit tired. Usually negative and overly nitpicky more so than being fair or even amusing.

Jawmuncher

It really has gone down quite a bit. the last review that I really that I really liked was Ultima 7. I'm hoping that he gets back into his groove sometime soon. Like you I used to watch his stuff all the time (I still do with the older reviews). Hell the original FMV Hell stuff is still some of my favorite reviews period.

Feorax

It feels like he needs to take a step back and really look at what made his older stuff great. Even if it meant he took a few months away to re-focus.

I don't know whether his ego would allow it though. The way he responds to criticism seems to suggest he doesn't have a great deal of time for feedback from his audience. I know it hasn't been easy for him over the past couple of years, but it feels sometimes like he's his own worst enemy.

It's sad how much the quality has declined, but it's not like there aren't plenty of people on the internet doing exactly this type of thing that could fill the void. Let's be honest, if that doesn't give him the incentive to get back to his best, nothing will.

doemaaan

I first found out about Spoony in December of last year when somebody posted the link to part 1 of his FF13 review on gamefaqs. Instantly fell in love with his work. Went straight to his other FF reviews and loved those too. Can't tell you how many times I've rewatched the FF10 review. I'd find myself watching them just for the hell of it up until Spoony finally uploaded part 4 of FF13... which in my books, took forever to get to. It was great, but man, does he work slow. I know I can't blame him since he's pretty much a one-man team though. I also didn't know about his other problems, like him being sick, until now.

So, after that 3-4 month period, I FINALLY decided to give his other material a try. Yea, it took me that long. His Ultima reviews are hilarious ("what's a paladin?") and the Black Hole vids are pretty good, but when I try to watch his other stuff, I just get bored. And some of them are WAY too long. I don't want to have to spend my time watching Spoony and his friends mess around with a Justin Bieber board game (no matter how funny the premise) for an hour and a half in unscripted fashion. They don't hold my attention, so I usually don't watch them. I know unscripted videos are easier to put out, but...
Whatever. It's clear that some people DO enjoy watching those vids, so it's not like they're useless.

According to him filming is finished but editing is going to take awhile. It should also be mentioned he is moving to somewhere in Illinois soon.

I'm assuming you're referring to the review on 13-2, right? It says under part 4 of his FF13 review, that he would finish the review in 13-2. When he finally finished 13, I honestly wouldn't have guess it would've taken him this long to release 13-2. I mean, we're only two months away from the anniversary for 13 part 1... I get the feeling he might be sneakily delaying into that time frame on purpose.

Into

It feels like he needs to take a step back and really look at what made his older stuff great. Even if it meant he took a few months away to re-focus.

I don't know whether his ego would allow it though. The way he responds to criticism seems to suggest he doesn't have a great deal of time for feedback from his audience. I know it hasn't been easy for him over the past couple of years, but it feels sometimes like he's his own worst enemy.

It's sad how much the quality has declined, but it's not like there aren't plenty of people on the internet doing exactly this type of thing that could fill the void. Let's be honest, if that doesn't give him the incentive to get back to his best, nothing will.

I completely agree with you, i think that ship of getting some valuable constructive criticism has long passed for Spoony and pretty much every producer on TGWTG (which granted he is no longer a part of). He was and still is very militant regarding his own forums and he pretty bans anyone who disagrees or dislikes something. So its a nice cozy bubble he made for himself and before you knew it quality dipped severely

With his initial FF8 review, there was no expectation from him, it was just this guy whining about FF8 and it was fucking great. Because he had legitimate gripes about it. With recent reviews there is a expectation to have memes, costumes, props and shitty special effects that probably take a long time but arent worth it in the end and countless crossovers.

His reviews with Miles, who seems like a nice guy are almost worthless, because any time Miles speaks, he is interrupted by Spoony who goes off on a long screaming tangent then says "oh im sorry, go on". Miles goes on for 8 seconds at best and Spoony is back.

Ive seen a ton of online reviewers, some good, some bad and some horrible. But at his best, Spoony is the one who made me laugh the most.

I thought vcr wrestlmania and vcr golf were hysterical, vcr bird wasn't that funny but I blame the game for being really boring. Haven't seen Swat 4 yet but impressions here don't make it sound too hot

Feorax

His latest tweets seem to re-affirm my post above;

@TheSpoonyOne: I do not need advice.

@TheSpoonyOne: Edit long gaps of silence. I just... am I supposed to sing? Make a loud buzzing noise when I stop talking? The hell do you want from me?

@TheSpoonyOne: Should I just hatchet those parts out with jump cuts so the video violently lurches ahead and makes no sense? What the fuck?

@TheSpoonyOne: I ought to edit my foot in your long gap of anus. I don't know how other LPers operate, but is it some kind of nonstop glossolalia?

@TheSpoonyOne: And yet, it's my LP, and I can do it however the fuck I want. And you? You can take your sarcasm over to my ignore list and rot.

Unless the whole purpose of his videos is for his own private enjoyment, then he's vastly underestimated the importance of giving his audience something they want to watch.

I think I'll stick to AVGN and Rooster Teeth for reviews and lets plays. It doesn't look like Spoony will be changing his approach anytime soon.

LiK

He acts like he doesn't care about people's FB but he actually does. He should just do his thing and see how it goes. I think he should quit Twitter, tbh. He gets aggravated with it too easily.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
He acts like he doesn't care about people's FB but he actually does. He should just do his thing and see how it goes. I think he should quit Twitter, tbh. He gets aggravated with it too easily.

Twitter seems to be the only place where Spoony is liable to read legitimate critiques though.

G-Fex

I can live with this and kind of wish Spoony would take this attitude more often so we can be spared his whining over "having" to review things like VCR Golf and Final Fantasy XIII.

that really kinda fucking weirded me out. The beginning of the VCR Golf review. It was like far more whining than the last Ultima video.

I swear that shit was for real but he just says it's in character.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
that really kinda fucking weirded me out. The beginning of the VCR Golf review. It was like far more whining than the last Ultima video.

I swear that shit was for real but he just says it's in character.

It is because it is indistinguishable from his whining and ranting on Twiitter and the Vlogs.

Feorax

The one thing he did recently which I quite liked was his minority report review, but it very much seems to be the exception, not the standard.

He needs to quit Twitter and focus in his own stuff, even if is not FF and video game relate videos, he needs to at least be focused in work. Not even for money or the fans, just for his own mental health.

MechaX

Second, a new Swat 4 video, done in a very different style than the last one:
Let’s Play SWAT 4 – Mission #15: Olympic Manhunt

I... I may be getting a serious case of deja vu, but I swear to God he did this exact same thing with another Russian themed SWAT 4 mission years back. Like, the exact same thing. And I'm pretty sure he used the Moscow song there too.

Yeah he was amazing at reviews back then and ended up being one of my fav reviewers.

Yeah, it's just so... depressing to see some of his output these days.

pa22word

As if anyone needed further shit on EA, but anyone interested in further EA asshatery on killing devs they should research Oddworld Inhabitants and Lorne Lanning.

Britannia Burns Part 2

This video answers all sorts of valuable questions, like
Q) When confronted by a mob of murderous children in a dungeon, do you:
1)
Cut them down with your sharpened blade?
2)
RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!?
3)
Unequip your sword and punch them in the face, forcing them to retreat?
4)
Reload a previous save, and don't pull the lever next time?
5)
Cast a Sleep spell?
6)
Charm them?
7)
Move to retreat, but before the last party member leaves, summon a daemon to stay behind and reduce them to ashes with its deadly deadly fireballs?

Warhol

Neo Member
His Final Fantasy 10 review made me lose most of the respect I tried to garner for him. He's one of those "old man" gamers who hates anything modern.

He acts like he is joking but you can clearly see he enjoys the past Final Fantasy titles and trashes any FF game after 10.

He seems to not understand how fiction works as a giant part of his beef against FF10 comes from the fact that he finds the premise silly (the blitzball, world physics, etc.) because they are unlike Earth (which makes no sense because Spira isn't Earth).

His FF8 review is one of the most entertaining reviews I've ever watched on the internet though. I had a hearty laugh at that one.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Oh thank the Jesus! Saving this to watch with my friends tonight! C'mon, Spoony. It's almost Rebruary again, you have to get a little more FF done before then!

Conan-san

Honestly, with Xillia lording over as the true thirteenth game in a long running JRPG series, I just want Noah to punch himself dressed as lightning in the face and be done with it.

Metal B

Never played FFXIII, even so it sits besides me in my shelf, but how can anyone like this game and its plot: "Now we go grinding!" "Look out, a pointless dungeon ahead!". Just wow.

The bad guy's voice being the "You're in my way, sir"-SWAT-Officer is just brilliant!

Wow, Spoony actually uploaded *gasp* a game review!

I used to love his site, but he hasn't done ANYTHING of note since the FFX review. At least he is finishing his XIII review

Jerrod

I love his reviews and let's plays but his vlogs/counter monkeys/wrestling thing are always way too long and drawn out. This FF13 part 5 video was good but way too short. He needs to cut down on the bullshit and bring back his reviews.

Top Bottom