• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Jebral

This guy is one of the best when he does one of his multi-part, in-depth reviews. As far as movie review go, he introduced me to Mazes and Monsters. The video and the movie are beyond amazing.

Here's hoping for more content like the Final Fantasy and Ultima. Not only are the hilarious, but they can be very informative. I love the bits from FFXIII about Dr Insano pouring random gunk on things to make them better, and the whole sex dungeon thing from the SNES Ultima game.

Such good stuff!

Lutherian

I absolutly loved his Ultima Retrospective, as a guy who never played any Ultima but I know what kind of legacy this serie have.

I also loved his comeback in one of the Nostalgia Critic cross over with Linkara, for another Uwe Boll movie.

I started replaying Final Fantasy VIII because I forgot a lot about the game and wanted to give it another chance. As such, I went and rewatched Spoony's review (nice that he later apologized in either a FFXII or FFX video about all the gay comments).

Looking through the site, it's a shame that he's wasting his time on wrestling stuff (I hate wrestling, so that clouds my opinion). It seems like that's all he does, or he'll commentate on a movie he's watched with his girlfriend, and that's about it. Gone are all those game reviews and movie reviews, and he's just basically vlogging. Which, to those that like it, I guess that's fine. But I really liked his FF reviews, the old game reviews, the lets plays, and Phantasmagoria 2, which I think is his best piece of work and something I watched once a year. (I didn't like how edited the Ripper videos were when I first started watching it. Maybe I should give it another shot).

It's a shame. When I went back to his site to watch the FFVIII stuff, I had hoped he would have done more from last I visited, but nope. And, how he gets 50k a year to do so little is amazing when something like chezapocalypse (Nostaltia Chick) does something interesting and gets so little. The internet and fandom is a weird world.

Tenebrous

Yeah his output does seem to be a bit low as of late. We've had no new episodes of Counter Monkey in several months, and aside from that Massacre at Central High job, has he done anything noteworthy since re-reviewing Nightmare in mid November? Remastered Skullduggery review in December...

You have to go back to August 2014 to find the last game review (Big Trouble in Little China for C64), and just two re-dos and one piece of original content for the main channel since then? Meh, I understand it's not as easy as people think it is, but it can't be that bad if he managed to put out reviews at a somewhat decent pace in the past.

Metal B

He again moved, which took a lot of his time. But this time he bought a house with his girlfriend, so i hope, he finally settled down. I guess, Sponny still not hired a editor, because i didn't see someone in the credits. Get employees, man! You can't run the show only with yourself and produce a qualitative product any more. His main goal should be writing and creating content, not wasting too much time with editing. If he doesn't clean up his schedule, he will lose a lot of good will in the near future.

There isn't even the argument of "its free content, don't complain", since he now gets payed monthly.

Tenebrous

Can't say I'm a big fan of the VLOG type reviews. I understand they're a lot easier to do than writing a script for something like the Dead or Alive video, but the end result is nowhere near as interesting.

Jawmuncher

Thought the bump was for a big review. It's been ages it feels like. Can't imagine still paying on Patreon with this output.

Mr. RHC

Can't say I'm a big fan of the VLOG type reviews. I understand they're a lot easier to do than writing a script for something like the Dead or Alive video, but the end result is nowhere near as interesting.

I love them. His vlogs and game reviews are the best.

Tenebrous

Patreon down to $4k with three of the $100 backers seemingly abandoning the thing altogether.

What exactly is he working on right now? It's always been one of those channels you check up on every month or so, but only one non-blog vid (The Massacre at Central High review - Pretty awesome) on the main channel this year, and no video game reviews since August 2014.

Sad times.

Mikey Jr.

Haven't watched any of his videos for months. Checked up on what he released recently and it was 50 wrestlemania videos and a 3 hour Ultron review.

No thanks spoony. See you in another few months.

Chariot

This is why I refuse to support Spoony's patreon. If he was fair and would get paid per video instead flat per month, it was something else (or if hte would put out content reliably), but as of now, he doesn't do much. And only half of what he does actually interests me. I wonder if the money cushion is just too comfortable or if he is in a crisis again.

Tenebrous

This is why I refuse to support Spoony's patreon. If he was fair and would get paid per video instead flat per month, it was something else (or if hte would put out content reliably), but as of now, he doesn't do much. And only half of what he does actually interests me. I wonder if the money cushion is just too comfortable or if he is in a crisis again.

I'd definitely back him per non-VLOG video.

orochi91

His patreon seems to have cratered; it's sub 4k now.

He needs to get back to doing game/video reviews like his Ultima/FFX/SWAT/FF13 videos.

Those were incredible lol

Not sure why (or when) he became so obsessed with wrestling to the point it dominates his output :/

I also miss his comedic written review, which were also fantastic.

I don't think he's aware of what made his content so likable back then.

Tenebrous

Wait, is that just five hours of Rogue gameplay footage with no commentary?

...holy fucking shit, Spoony.

It has commentary. Starts around min 4, I think.

He's not too good at improv, in my opinion. It's his script writing reviews that (used to) set him apart from everyone else.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It has commentary. Starts around min 4, I think.

He's not too good at improv, in my opinion. It's his script writing reviews that (used to) set him apart from everyone else.

Oh, there is commentary? I watched for a couple minutes then started skipping around randomly and never heard any. Is it just really sparse commentary, then?

Metal B

Not sure why (or when) he became so obsessed with wrestling to the point it dominates his output :/
I think, those are just easier to make for him.
Noah really needs to step up his game. His output is on a dangerous low. I already mention it before, but he really needs a team or people behind the camera, if he wants to keep the quality of his other videos. Looks like, Noah still hasn't an editor, which he promised to hire. Give up the small details and work on the bigger picture or you will lose fans ...

Seeing his new videos with his brother, also shows, that Miles was his best co-host. Noah and his girlfriend are just too similar in taste, which is why his Age of Ultron VLOG wasn't that great.

We can hope, that losing money, will have him finally trying to solve his problems.

Yeah, he isn't very good at the Let's Play thing.
His last videos of SWAT4 were disappoint because of it ...

I suspect he disabled comments on youtube and his site for reasons like this. We question wtf he's doing and he doesn't want the free money train from Patreon drying up. He doesn't even have an excuse this time around for no Rebruary. He's really burning his biggest and wealthiest fans with this Patreon garbage.

I met the guy and he's a real cool guy in person. But fuck man, he needs to get his shit together and do stuff. Stop trying to do 7 games at once and do 2 or 3.

Metal B

I suspect he disabled comments on youtube and his site for reasons like this. We question wtf he's doing and he doesn't want the free money train from Patreon drying up. He doesn't even have an excuse this time around for no Rebruary. He's really burning his biggest and wealthiest fans with this Patreon garbage.
Reminds me of Linkara. He just had a episode of a okay Web-Comic, which was totally boring and Patreon requested. You should give fans a bonus and not let them dictate your show, the audience never knows, what they truly want ... but clearly what they don't want.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Reminds me of Linkara. He just had a episode of a okay Web-Comic, which was totally boring and Patreon requested. You should give fans a bonus and not let them dictate your show, the audience never knows, what they truly want ... but clearly what they don't want.

On the other hand, Todd In The Shadows has been doing Patreon-requested songs for One Hit Wonderland, and they've all been fantastic episodes.

Mivey

I met the guy and he's a real cool guy in person. But fuck man, he needs to get his shit together and do stuff. Stop trying to do 7 games at once and do 2 or 3.

Are you talking livestreams? I'm not sure he is even doing one video game review at the moment. The FF are lurking in the distance, but that is essentially a part of his career "the final fantasy guy".

Maybe he is working on that movie? That would explain the reduction in throughput.

Are you talking livestreams? I'm not sure he is even doing one video game review at the moment. The FF are lurking in the distance, but that is essentially a part of his career "the final fantasy guy".

Maybe he is working on that movie? That would explain the reduction in throughput.

He was going to do the movie when he was over 5K, but he's blow 4K now. And I mean doing general reviews. He does so many things at once that he spreads himself thin.

diggler41

I remember finding out about Spoony right after my son was born. Summer of 2012, I wasnt sleeping any and needed content to watch. Found Spoonys site and devoured the stuff within a couple of days. I loved his goofy movie reviews and game stuff. I dont think i have watched anything of his since and I check every 6 months or so.

So like, real talk, what the hell gives with his twitter? Specifically, can any explain to me the whole shtick of him typing some crazy in-joke in all caps or blabbing about some comic book characters crazy actions followed by a screencap of said comic?

It seems like he's been doing this for the longest time and 90% of his tweets are this crap on a daily basis, and for the life of me I just can't fathom what it's about or who it's meant for. Is there like a small group of comic fans that follow his account purely for these riffings on comic book panels? Is he famous among an inner twitter crowd that checks up on this stuff like kool-aid? And if it's not him doing that with comics, just substitute it with wrestling. I don't know if I'm out of the loop on the jokes or if Noah really is just rambling like an ass on twitter all day.

Mivey

He was going to do the movie when he was over 5K, but he's blow 4K now. And I mean doing general reviews. He does so many things at once that he spreads himself thin.
Maybe his method of creating his videos is just very inefficient. The editing alone must take so many hours when you're going through long RPGs. But the again, none of his last videos were about role playing games, so I dunno. Well, if he really keeps this up, he'll probably loose many of his patrons anyway, so I guess things will balance themselves out in the end.

orochi91

So like, real talk, what the hell gives with his twitter? Specifically, can any explain to me the whole shtick of him typing some crazy in-joke in all caps or blabbing about some comic book characters crazy actions followed by a screencap of said comic?

It seems like he's been doing this for the longest time and 90% of his tweets are this crap on a daily basis, and for the life of me I just can't fathom what it's about or who it's meant for. Is there like a small group of comic fans that follow his account purely for these riffings on comic book panels? Is he famous among an inner twitter crowd that checks up on this stuff like kool-aid? And if it's not him doing that with comics, just substitute it with wrestling. I don't know if I'm out of the loop on the jokes or if Noah really is just rambling like an ass on twitter all day.

He's still on Twitter?

I thought he promised his fans he'd quit it so he could focus on putting out content lmao

Chariot

He just has a bad schedule. I mean this is literally his job, right? Other people of his stand manage.

He's still on Twitter?

I thought he promised his fans he'd quit it so he could focus on putting out content lmao
He is blabbing twitter all day.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I had to unfollow Spoony on Twitter. Like, if you ever want to stop liking Spoony completely? Just follow him on Twitter for a few days. Twitter-Spoony is a huge asshole.

Likewise I had to unfollow Todd In The Shadows as well, but that was just because 90% of his tweets are about his and Nostalgia Chick's dog Kali. You can only read so many tweets about a dog before you can't take any more. :lol

He's still on Twitter?

Don't think he even managed a week before going back on that. Heck, it's like he actually doubled down on his tweeting bullshittery. Which makes the whole thing about posting nothing but comic crap all day an even bigger slap in the face to fans. I like to think of them as status updates letting people know how LITTLE work he's doing in a day.

Metal B

On the other hand, Todd In The Shadows has been doing Patreon-requested songs for One Hit Wonderland, and they've all been fantastic episodes.
They are at least informative and random in nature. Todd seen to also stumble a little ever since the Pop-Charts became very tame in my opinion. Taylor Swift being the only real pop-star and a bigger focus on electro-beats, properly limit his choices.

Maybe his method of creating his videos is just very inefficient. The editing alone must take some many hours when you're going through long RPGs. But the again none of his last videos was about role playing games, so I dunno. Well, if he really keeps this up, he probably loose many of the patrons anyway, so I guess will balance themselves out in the end.
He already explained exactly this and promised to hire an editor (i believe last year) . Since he wastes the most time of production with cutting and want to do it perfectly. But it doesn't look like it. He even wanted to create more VLOGs and other smaller videos to have more updates. Also didn't worked out yet.

Likewise I had to unfollow Todd In The Shadows as well, but that was just because 90% of his tweets are about his and Nostalgia Chick's dog Kali.
But it is true love and he dumped Lindsay for her!

Tenebrous

Video game review spoony is dead. Sad but so true.

Along with D&D Spoony and movie riff Spoony. All that's left now is unimpressive VLOGs on wrestling and shite movies... Yeyy.

My favourite online personality for years, and to see him reduced to this right now? Disappointing would be an understatement.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Spoony's bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later (if it hasn't already). I hope he's been banking as much of the Patreon money as he can, 'cause he's gonna need it if he doesn't amp up his output, and soon.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
He already explained exactly this and promised to hire an editor (i believe last year) . Since he wastes the most time of production with cutting and want to do it perfectly. But it doesn't look like it. He even wanted to create more VLOGs and other smaller videos to have more updates. Also didn't worked out yet.
!

I remember him trying to do this before a while back and he never did because he couldn't find an editor that fit his style or something along those lines.

Spoony's bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later (if it hasn't already). I hope he's been banking as much of the Patreon money as he can, 'cause he's gonna need it if he doesn't amp up his output, and soon.

I was about to say that I can't see people supporting it if he doesn't put out any content. I'm surprised it hasn't already, really.

Top Bottom