• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Didn't he talk about hiring one just a few months ago? Or am I misremembering?

Someone in the thread mentioned that, yeah. Which is why I brought up him wanting someone to edit his videos a while back, when he was still doing a decent output.

Voror

Wasn't there a line in the Big Trouble in Little China review about the Final Fantasy XIII-2 about the review being in the process of rendering or something? I took it to be a sign we might start seeing it soon, but I guess not.

He really should get off the twitter since most of it is just that comic talk, which seems largely pointless and makes it all seem like some weird distraction.

I wish he'd either do a video or even a text update on where he stands with his various projects like I've seen Linkara do, but his problem really does seem to be scheduling himself which it doesn't exactly seem like he's corrected quite yet.

G-Fex

Oh well.

You know if it wasn't for those morons behind the movie, I think he would've done a funny job with the 'After last season' review.

s_mirage

Spoony is, or should I say was, one of my favourite bad game/movie reviewers, but I was worried that the lack of output would get worse when he started a monthly Patreon. Seems I was right to worry. To me, $48K a year seems like quite a nice income for creating little but Vlogs (which AFAIK require quite a lot less work than reviews), and unless the donations crash through the floor I just don't how the essentially free money generates any impetus to produce content.

Tenebrous

Spoony is, or should I say was, one of my favourite bad game/movie reviewers, but I was worried that the lack of output would get worse when he started a monthly Patreon. Seems I was right to worry. To me, $48K a year seems like quite a nice income for creating little but Vlogs (which AFAIK require quite a lot less work than reviews), and unless the donations crash through the floor I just don't how the essentially free money generates any impetus to produce content.

Well, he's lost more than $12k per year from his Patreon in just a few months. He'll be saying goodbye to a lot of that $48k if he doesn't start providing content that people are interested in.

To be fair, if he was an organised "go getter" he probably wouldn't be bumming around his house making game videos.

It is all part of his charm.

Zafir

Video game review spoony is dead. Sad but so true.

Pretty much. :/

I used to check his site fairly regularly but now I don't bother. I don't give a damn about wrestling, and his counter money videos doesn't really interest me either.

Even if he just aimed for monthly game/movie reviews and then weekly/biweekly vlogs on wrestling/countermonkey/randomfilm that'd be an acceptable pace for his fan base. I thought getting a gf and a new place to live would help motivate the dude but if anything his output seems worse now then it did during super emotional spoony a few years ago. I don't think its a simple case of spoony being lazy. I wonder if he has some major add or some other kind of issues that affect his ability to focus on producing content for his site.

Tenebrous

Even if he just aimed for monthly game/movie reviews and then weekly/biweekly vlogs on wrestling/countermonkey/randomfilm that'd be an acceptable pace for his fan base. I thought getting a gf and a new place to live would help motivate the dude but if anything his output seems worse now then it did during super emotional spoony a few years ago. I don't think its a simple case of spoony being lazy. I wonder if he has some major add or some other kind of issues that affect his ability to focus on producing content for his site.

Doesn't he suffer from depression?

Chariot

Doesn't he suffer from depression?
Yes, but the Patreon is supposed to finance his good work, not being a charity for some random depressed guy. It's his work. If he is too sick to work, then you can expect the pay to get going and the ones whobpay to stay content.

Tenebrous

Yes, but the Patreon is supposed to finance his good work, not being a charity for some random depressed guy. It's his work. If he is too sick to work, then you can expect the pay to get going and the ones whobpay to stay content.

Sad but true, I suppose.

Syril

Hadn't he revealed at one point that he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder?

MechaX

Yeah, he isn't very good at the Let's Play thing.

I dunno, his Phantasmagoria LPs were really good in my opinion. His earlier SWAT stuff was surprisingly pretty good too, but then when he came back to it, he was literally re-using old jokes and gags.

It's just... a shame to see him at this state. I really enjoyed his 2007-2010 stuff, and even some of his other stuff up to the meltdown.

Mivey

Apparently a review for "Paypack" is coming. He said "I will be rendering as I go to sleep" (37:15), but that's in spoony time, so I guess it will come out next week?

knkng

Spoony's a tough one for me. I fell in love with his reviews back around 2007/2008. He really seemed to be the only person doing this sort of thing with any real passion and a natural on-screen charisma. He was just so much damn fun to watch and listen to. I still remember getting hyped during the intro for every new video, seeing the footage of him dancing like a fool. Now it just feels like some horrible marriage where we both can't stand each other anymore, but we're just too damn stubborn to walk away. Where do I even begin?

His Patreon is absurd. He got over $5000 per month right out the gate, and just flushed it all away (or is at least on track to do so). His output was already low prior to that point, and now it's just cratered. Fuck your movie or whatever over the top nonsense you have planned, just get together a proper working schedule first. People are paying you now, create a solid foundation and build up from there. A small, but solid monthly project will earn you more fans and revenue, as opposed to one (relatively) big video every six months.

It also kind of bugs me how quick people were to throw money at him when he was still unproven at that point in time. Especially when you have guys like Brad Jones who earn significantly less, yet put out content almost every single day. And then you have RedLetterMedia (6-man staff, studio, sets, props, equipment, etc.) who was earning below $10,000 when Spoony was over $5000. Just absurd.

As for his Vlogs, I just can't stand them anymore. They were somewhat fun back in the day, but there are so many better options out there now. There's really no reason to sit there and watch Spoony's 2 hours of completely unedited ramblings. It just seems pitiful when compared to others.

Survivor Series 2014
Nov. 26 - Spoony sitting in a chair rambling about the PPV for over an hour, completely unedited.

Nov. 28 - OSW Review bonus episode with Maffew of Botchamania. One hour long, properly hosted, fully edited video review including Monday Night Raw discussion.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
May 7 - Spoony and his girlfriend sitting in chairs rambling about the movie for almost 2 hours, completely unedited.

May 8 - Half in the Bag video review including sets, props, wardrobe, characters and (mostly) organized discussion.

I would excuse this if he were releasing other quality videos, but he is not. Sorry for the ranting post, but I think Spoony is getting away with too much shit these days.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, that 4k a month is just enabling this behaviour. He is getting 4k a month to do literally jack shit. Maybe once in a while crap out a 3 hour long vid of a game he's playing.

If he saw his revenue actually fluctuate with his content, it would light a fire under his ass.

But it doesn't, so this is the output.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Honestly, that 4k a month is just enabling this behaviour. He is getting 4k a month to do literally jack shit. Maybe once in a while crap out a 3 hour long vid of a game he's playing.

If he saw his revenue actually fluctuate with his content, it would light a fire under his ass.

But it doesn't, so this is the output.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like Spoony's fans deserve what they get if they're willing to pay him to do virtually nothing.

Mugen08

Yeah I don't know. I went in supporting Spoony on Patreon more as a thanks for the old stuff I've enjoyed over and over. FFX, SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, The Ripper, Rebruary and more. Eventually I might stop funding him, but it is not very much every month and since I did not give him anything during the years he delivered the highlights I do not feel too bad about it.

Jigorath

Banned
I didn't watch it, haha. What time into the video?

It's right at the very end. Can't even quote it here because it'd be an instaban. Spoony really is pathetic.

I just checked his Patreon and some guy who's been donating 50 bucks a month to him hasn't even gotten his backer reward. Why do people keep giving him money? He does nothing.

Tenebrous

I found it.

Yeah... Perhaps it would be better if he weren't getting large sums of money for doing comparatively little work. It's a shame to see, but as you say, the backers are supporting this behavior.

Metal B

I remember him trying to do this before a while back and he never did because he couldn't find an editor that fit his style or something along those lines.
Then he has to change his style or give someone the chance to evolve into his style. Doing nothing and act as a diva, is clearly the wrong direction to take.
I understand, that sometimes you want to have all the control over a creative project. But letting go, is the only way forward. The other option would be going backward and become smaller. No sketches, no costumes, no green screen effects, etc. . Just him, the medium, the camera and good writing. Even this would be better, then his actual output. I even would love another Ripper / Phantasmagoria scripted "Let's Play" video with 100% game footage.

Chariot

Holy crap. I first thought you guys meant that he is stopping his work because it could upset his girlfriend. But by god the little meltdown at the end. And he uploaded this? And almost all people liked it? Jesus.

vocab

I wouldnt really call it a melt down, more like whiny spoony couldnt take a comment from the chat well. He thinks he needs to farm 8 hours in a game where farming doesn't do much. The same stubborn spoony who tried to fight a monster in ultima underworld 2 for 4 hours with his bare fists.

The best movie review, in terms of what he saw in theaters, is where he saw one of the Twilight movies and starts drinking heavy with Linkara on Skype. Great stuff.

Yeah... Perhaps it would be better if he weren't getting large sums of money for doing comparatively little work. It's a shame to see, but as you say, the backers are supporting this behavior.

He isn't getting large sums of money though. He is getting a large number of very small sums of money.

There is a big difference.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I don't know. I went in supporting Spoony on Patreon more as a thanks for the old stuff I've enjoyed over and over. FFX, SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, The Ripper, Rebruary and more. Eventually I might stop funding him, but it is not very much every month and since I did not give him anything during the years he delivered the highlights I do not feel too bad about it.

In this capacity it makes sense. I still watch a ton of his old stuff a lot.

Mr. RHC

He does nothing.

12 videos in 2 months is nothing?

t1lwl0P.gif

Jigorath

Banned

t1lwl0P.gif

12 videos? You mean ones where he just sits in front of a camera and rambles on about wrestling or movies for an hour? Oh yeah, great work Spoony. Don't overload yourself there on all those vlogs.

He hasn't put out an actual review since February. And the last one he did before that was in November. So 2 reviews in 6 months? Should I go pull up a list of all the videos ProJared has made in that timeframe? Or Caddicarus? Or Moviebob? Or Angry Joe?

Tenebrous

t1lwl0P.gif

Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
LP - Dark Souls
LP - AC Rogue
Movie VLOG
Movie VLOG
Movie VLOG
Movie VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG
Wrestling VLOG

This is content anyone could do. I really enjoy the dudes proper work, but to me, this is throwaway content... There's no work, no preperation, no witty writing or fleshed out references to other works. It's literally just sitting in front of a camera for an hour at a time and sharing an opinion.

I'd love more game reviews, legit movie reviews, board game reviews, D&D reviews, riff theaters... Anything.

Veelk

Banned
I won't disagree that his slow output is annoying, but honestly, all it is going to do is fuck with his livelihood. Getting mad about that is like getting mad about seeing a dancer I like to watch crush her own legs. I mean, it sucks I don't get to see them dance anymore, but they're ultimately harming themselves more in the longterm.

That said, I still enjoy seeing even his unedited stuff. He makes good points about the Ultron movie. And not so good points, but I appreciate him talking in depth about the story as he does. I'm not a fan of wrestling or B-movies I haven't seen, so I don't watch those videos, so either way, his output has been slow...but I've got plenty of other shit to watch at the same time.

Ultimately, it's an inconvienence for me because I don't get to watch stuff I don't enjoy, but I can't be mad about it. He's not my bitch. If this is the output he wants to give, I'd like more, but that's up to him and bitching about how he's awful isn't productive for me nor him if he hears it, so whats the point?

Edit: I will make a point to disagree with this however.

This is content anyone could do. I really enjoy the dudes proper work, but to me, this is throwaway content... There's no work, no preperation, no witty writing or fleshed out references to other works. It's literally just sitting in front of a camera for an hour at a time and sharing an opinion.

Anyone can go and make an edited video review too. But no one, edited or not, can give the same kind of opinion spoony gives or in the same way. That kind of thing is person exclusive. I can understand liking his edited stuff more, but Spoony has always sold me as a reviewer above and beyond most others because of how he critically analyzes the stories of the movies and games he reviews, with the jokes and set pieces and edits all being secondary. Him sitting down and giving a Vlog lacks those things, and perhaps organization, but it's still pure spoony and you can't get that anywhere else, whoever you sit down in front of a camera and hit record. Again, if you're just saying you prefer the edited stuff, that's okay, but you can't say he's not doing him for sitting in front of a camera and sharing his opinion. At their core, that's all his edited reviews are too.

Mikey Jr.

I won't disagree that his slow output is annoying, but honestly, all it is going to do is fuck with his livelihood. Getting mad about that is like getting mad about seeing a dancer I like to watch crush her own legs. I mean, it sucks I don't get to see them dance anymore, but they're ultimately harming themselves more in the longterm.

That said, I still enjoy seeing even his unedited stuff. He makes good points about the Ultron movie. And not so good points, but I appreciate him talking in depth about the story as he does. I'm not a fan of wrestling or B-movies I haven't seen, so I don't watch those videos, so either way, his output has been slow...but I've got plenty of other shit to watch at the same time.

Ultimately, it's an inconvienence for me because I don't get to watch stuff I don't enjoy, but I can't be mad about it. He's not my bitch. If this is the output he wants to give, I'd like more, but that's up to him and bitching about how he's awful isn't productive for me nor him if he hears it, so whats the point?

His Patreon is racking in 4k a month for him. I don't even make that much, and I work 40 hour weeks.

4k a month for.....this.

Top Bottom