• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

LiK

Damn shame to see what has happened to this guy, I really enjoyed his reviews, vlogs and even his wrestling videos. I think it is pretty scummy that he is still getting money from people without giving them anything in return.

Almost feels like they're just giving him money cuz they pity him.

Noah's biggest problem was, that he didn't expented at the right time. He should have build a team, which took over the stressfull parts of his job (like editing, camera, collectiong footage, etc.), so that he could have focused on acting, scripting and have more free time to relaxe and charge his batteries. I bet, in the end he simply burned himself out. =(

He was making 5k at one point.
Should have took 3k for himself, and paid 2k to an editor to work on his videos.

His Ultima retrospective is some of the finest content ever to appear on Youtube. I also enjoyed a lot of his Counter Monkey videos. I just hope the guy's ok.

I met him at a con once. He once said the conclusion to the Sephiroth story could be the show's finale

The dude was super nice when I saw him at TooManyGames (2013 I think?). Talked for a bit and even brought him some Soju since he likes that stuff (was cheap, so don't worry about it).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Doesn't he suffer from chronic depression?

You don't really need much more to explain why he hasn't been productive...

Last tweet I saw on the subject of his videos was that after all his depression and sleep problems (he apparently also had sleep apnea which can be super disruptive on its own even without depression stacking on top of that) he felt so far behind he didn't know how to even begin again.

I've been out of the Spoony loop for a few years now, anybody know what's happened to him?

Horrible sleep apnea, depression, addiction to twitter, and the two people who pushed him to work moving away/breaking up with him (brother and gf).

If you want an idea of how much sleep apnea can impact you, go watch the runaway guys lp of rayman origins. One of the commentators (tim) was suffering from it badly at that time and it's kind of a spectacle to behold.

Loved his Final Fantasy VIII review back in the day.
I remember originally I was angry at it, because I was a massive FF8 fan growing up.

Horrible sleep apnea, depression, addiction to twitter, and the two people who pushed him to work moving away/breaking up with him (brother and gf).

If you want an idea of how much sleep apnea can impact you, go watch the runaway guys lp of rayman origins. One of the commentators (tim) was suffering from it badly at that time and it's kind of a spectacle to behold.

His brother won't even talk to him? He's still with April isn't he?

TheSun

Hm, I only knew of Spoony from his cameos in other reviewers.

The only thing I saw was his Ultima Series review, which was quite excellent.

Shame about his current status.

TeaJay

It seems like Trump being elected US president was the final straw, after that Spoony hasn't been able to do anything productive (or at least publish anything). I mean, he still tweets about wrestling, and people liked his wrestling VLogs a lot, so I don't get why he just won't put the camera on and ramble.. who knows.

Maybe he's basically just bored with his video making career, but in that case he should come out and say it. It's just not right keeping that Patreon going on, however voluntary giving money may be.

I always felt the jesu otaku comment could have been super resolved in spoony had said "relax I'm just throwing out background ideas for the next spooning with spoony". Maybe JO and OL would still not be happy but at least it would have been a tasteless comment in service of content creation.

tsundoku

This guy's ff8 deconstruction, if you forward through the bad skits, is a piece for all times. But you could pretty much tell he was going to drop some batshit crazy videos and fall apart later on

ShadowOwl

Every time this thread is getting bumped I open it and hope that Spoony somehow got back on track but it's just more bad news and stuff like that. :(

Khezu

It's almost kind of crazy just how loyal people are to Spoony after all this time of him going either insane or just not making anything at all for long periods of time.

Even after all this time, if he wanted it, he could easily salvage this mess.

Lach

Every time this thread is getting bumped I open it and hope that Spoony somehow got back on track but it's just more bad news and stuff like that. :(

I had this last year. This year not anymore. I'd love to be surprised though....

Great video detailing his fall...

TeaJay

It's almost kind of crazy just how loyal people are to Spoony after all this time of him going either insane or just not making anything at all for long periods of time.

Even after all this time, if he wanted it, he could easily salvage this mess.

I think it's because some people are genuinely worried about his well-being especially after what happened to JewWario. For some it's a habit, and I guess people hope that giving him money will eventually encourage him to return. It would honestly be great just to hear his thoughts about what's going on, but he's put it off for so long, it's hard for me see him coming back on a regular schedule any more.

Around 2008-2012 or so when he put up tons of great content regularly was really great, though. So many great jokes and reviews. He had the ball, ran with it and it was glorious. Just makes me sad to think of the current state of affairs.

I do hope he gets help. I really liked the guy's videos. His whole Reb Brown retrospective was a lot of fun, as was his Ultima Retrospective.

Most of all, he's clearly got some issues he needs to sort out, and I hope he pulls through.

I miss you, Spoony.

SilentRob

It's really weird he doesn't answer anyone or make videos anymore, it's almost like Spoony has some kind of mental illness and he suffers from severe anxiety disorder leading to uncontrollable panic attacks that literally make you feel like you're dying for hours on en-oh.

bfazPzZ.png

Seriously guys, look to family members or friends you know who suffered from some kind of anxiety disorder and then imagine them having this kind of spotlight and constant barrage of criticism (at best) aimed at them for weeks, then months, then years on end. And THEN imagine telling them "Man, I'd wish you'd be more responsible or even make some more videos I enjoy."

Exodust

Banned
Can you just summarize what you found so I don't need to be traumatized?

I don't know about traumatized, but dude makes videos on some of the worst topics I can think of and seems to believe in them. There's one released during Black History Month that's titled "We Wuz Kangs", so you get the idea.

Didn't expect to see that, deleted his videos from his watch history as soon as I could because I don't want that shit flooding my youtube recommendations.

LiK

Dude's the same guy who made videos that basically spawned GamerGate.

I don't know about traumatized, but dude makes videos on some of the worst topics I can think of and seems to believe in them. There's one released during Black History Month that's titled "We Wuz Kangs", so you get the idea.

Didn't expect to see that, deleted his videos from his watch history as soon as I could because I don't want that shit flooding my youtube recommendations.

Ah damn, thanks guys.

Watching that video, getting to the Lord Kat part, I expected some amazing reveal about some horrible behind the scenes, cuz I totally expected something like that, cuz, let's be real, even taking his mental issues into account, Spoony is kinda an asshole. A talanted asshole, but still.

But what I got was a pathetic loser whining about how somebody making innocent goof ruined him or whatever. Apparently,a ccording to him, everyone should just be nice, polite and "very professional" at e3, just like corporate wants us. And spoony is supposed to be nice and be held responsible for what joke industry will arbitrarely whip itself into frenzy again. What a worthless pathethic worm...

Patrick S.

Banned

I know this feeling all too well. Some days, the thought of doing trivial things like making a phonecall is too much. In my situtation of being looking for a job, the first thoughts that come to my mind when I see a potential job offer are "I will suck, I will need to learn THINGS and DO things that are new to me, how will I possibly be able to do this, I'm too dumb, I will fail, I will not fit in, people will think I'm weird" etc. Just thinking about that unopened letter from the bank or seeing the blinking message light on my phone makes my stomach hurt and my throat tighten to a knot.

Uzumaki Goku

I know this feeling all too well. Some days, the thought of doing trivial things like making a phonecall is too much. In my situtation of being looking for a job, the first thoughts that come to my mind when I see a potential job offer are "I will suck, I will need to learn THINGS and DO things that are new to me, how will I possibly be able to do this, I'm too dumb, I will fail, I will not fit in, people will think I'm weird" etc. Just thinking about that unopened letter from the bank or seeing the blinking message light on my phone makes my stomach hurt and my throat tighten to a knot.

This is just sad.

Patrick S.

Banned
This is just sad.

Yeah, it's not great. I have days where I feel like I can conquer the world, but those are really rare. I got a prescription for antidepressants a week ago and haven't even opened the box because I'm scared of them.

I can totally see why someone with Noah's character and who is suffering from depression isn't feeling like putting out funny videos.

Top Bottom