• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

Metal B

I wish for Noah to make a complete break up. He should take all of his unfinished projects throw or lock them away, announce his retirement of his Spoony Persona and stop with anything else. After a few weeks of freedom he can either work in the background for other people or/and start a new series or just start a new career all together. Many artists did this, when the got burned out from there old life, find a way to get new input and felt refreshed.
It's sad, that we will properly never see the conclusion of his stories and he maybe never as popular again, but anything is better then nothing and its healthier for himself.

To be fair, he does apologize for that later in a later video. Essentially says "I don't know what I was thinking with the gay joke." Can't remember which particular video tho.
It was the first part of his Final Fantasy XIII review, it is at the start, where he talks about FF VIII.

Veelk

Banned
Is it really being the master of his own demise if the demise is caused by mental health problems?

Yes. I suffer from mental health myself and while it is utter hell, you are ultimately responsible for yourself and your actions. And you kind of have to think that way, or atleast I do, or else I don't feel like have any control over my own situation, which has lead to me fucking up more in the past.

Even if Spoony was updating his patreons/twitter followers on his progress with different anxiety meds and therapies to try and get back to functional that would be fairly forgiveable.

Also, before the panic attack tweet from Spoony, he mentions that he has Counter Monkey topics sorted out and apparently ready for filming.

You know what, Spoony is probably one of the few content creators that I'll wait a long time to see get back on track. The guy, when on, is probably the best YouTube creator (comedy wise anyways) I've ever seen.

TeaJay

It's also really annoying that so many links on his website are dead and those reviews have not been posted to Youtube. With Spoony's current status I'm guessing those videos are lost forever, which is a damn shame.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's also really annoying that so many links on his website are dead and those reviews have not been posted to Youtube. With Spoony's current status I'm guessing those videos are lost forever, which is a damn shame.

Yes. If he has zero interest in making more videos then just leave all your old stuff on youtube or your website and call it a day. Release a statement and declare that you are done. Instead, you are getting $700 a month from your gullible patreon supporters promising them content that will never be created. Shame on them for foolishly wasting their money (especially when it could be put towards a better cause like a charity) and shame on Spoony for taking advantage of it without any sign of remorse and guilt. It's one thing to say that you're suffering from mental health issues and its another to gladly accept money and promise people that new videos are on their way when clearly they aren't. Fucking scam artist.

Honestly I imagine spoony does have quiet a few videos in various states of finish, but his hybrid addiction to social media and mental health issues leaves them rotting on his hard drive.

If spoony ever relaunched what he should do is clean slate and make his patreon a flat $5 (thanks at the end of video, video 3 days early on patreon) and call it a day. Promising a movie and all this other stuff was a terrible idea.

Cymen

Neo Member

Oh, man.....that is hard to watch.

I still remember the whole tweet controversy about the rape-joke etc. I gotta say, though...even now that I am half a decade older, I still consider this joke to be not that bad. At least not in the context of TGWTG or Channel Awesome where humor like that was not that uncommon. Of course that does not excuse the following defensive meltdown but I do feel like there were some people actively trying to get him fired.

I used to watch his videos back in the day, so it is sad to think that someone who brought you so much laughter is now in a self-destructive spiral. I had no idea about the movie thing. Just think...if he had not made that stretch-goal, he could have been making any content he liked. More than 4K a month an Patreon. It is a shame how great opportunities are turned into crushing expectations. He needed to hire someone to keep him on-task and on-schedule. Or at least an editor to raise the quality of his short-form content. Because he sadly does not have a good work-ethic...and his attitude towards criticism is not helpful for the creative process...Now his Patreon is down to 700 a month. If only he just rebooted his career. Go full youtube or streaming. Doing something he enjoys! Sadly...there seems to be very little he still enjoys.

jmartoine

I had forgotten about the LordKat thing. To me it always seemed like he was projecting negative things that happened to him onto Spoony and Joe unfairly. I mean the whole "BETRAYAL!" thing was embarrassing but it wasn't bad enough to get some blacklisted by association.

Only thing I could see that would have had that impact was Angry Joe's trainwreck interview with Geoff Keighley before the VGAs but again, Joe recovered from that and he was the main person involved so I felt it was unfair that LordKat claimed that Spoony and Joe got off lightly and he was the one who faced the consequences.

SKINNER!

Banned
I had forgotten about the LordKat thing. To me it always seemed like he was projecting negative things that happened to him onto Spoony and Joe unfairly. I mean the whole "BETRAYAL!" thing was embarrassing but it wasn't bad enough to get some blacklisted by association.

Only thing I could see that would have had that impact was Angry Joe's trainwreck interview with Geoff Keighley before the VGAs but again, Joe recovered from that and he was the main person involved so I felt it was unfair that LordKat claimed that Spoony and Joe got off lightly and he was the one who faced the consequences.

Yeah, I do believe that whole Betrayal thing Spoony did at E3 2011 was embarrassing but - you gotta admit given the nature of Spoony's videos and work - it was within his character to behave that way. LordKat being all bitter about how he was shunned at GDC and by other video game companies shouldn't have come as a surprise to him given his association with Blistered Thumbs/ChannelAwesome and to some extent Noah. Assuming he wanted to take his journalism seriously and push for more "professionalism" he should've distanced himself immediately after that debacle and focus more on his work instead of bitterly ranting on podcasts about how Spoony ruins everything! Dude! Get away from him. Ditch the stupid internet name, create more articles/videos independently, grow your own following and focus on taking your work seriously. That's what he should've done. If LordKat wanted "professionalism" then why were you with Spoony? Because BlisteredThumb was a great platform for professional video game journalism? no it isn't. It's just video game flavoured entertainment like ScrewAttack. Nobody takes it seriously.

and yeah, Joe did a great job at recovering from the Keighley incident. Is he still involved with CA? Because I notice he's quite prominent on youtube so at least he's able to stand on his two feet now instead of relying on Doug Walker and co.

It's really weird he doesn't answer anyone or make videos anymore, it's almost like Spoony has some kind of mental illness and he suffers from severe anxiety disorder leading to uncontrollable panic attacks that literally make you feel like you're dying for hours on en-oh.

bfazPzZ.png

Seriously guys, look to family members or friends you know who suffered from some kind of anxiety disorder and then imagine them having this kind of spotlight and constant barrage of criticism (at best) aimed at them for weeks, then months, then years on end. And THEN imagine telling them "Man, I'd wish you'd be more responsible or even make some more videos I enjoy."

You can take medication and therapy for those things. Lorazepam and Clonazepam are two that help bring you out of sever panic attacks. Anit-depressants help to regulate it. Anxiety isn't uncontrollable.

You can take medication and therapy for those things. Lorazepam and Clonazepam are two that help bring you out of sever panic attacks. Anit-depressants help to regulate it. Anxiety isn't uncontrollable.

Yes. He should become dependant on benzodiazepines so he can make comedy youtube videos.

jmartoine

and yeah, Joe did a great job at recovering from the Keighley incident. Is he still involved with CA? Because I notice he's quite prominent on youtube so at least he's able to stand on his two feet now instead of relying on Doug Walker and co.

No idea about Joe to be honest. The only person I still follow from the old CA days is Brad Jones.

SilentRob

Taking medication itself can be part of your anxiety and thus be almost impossible for you.
Therapy helps very little when you are alone at home with your thoughts and another panic attack starts creeping in.

Zatoth

Seeing that the thread is going strong at the moment. Maybe someone can answer a question about something that happened years ago. Before his meltdown. When he was still with his old girlfriend and part of CA.

I think he posted a video on his site, took it down later and added a short comment about it.

From what I remember he took it down because people attacked someone who was in the video with him. I think he said he is okay with people going after him but they should stay away from his family(?). Doubt it was his brother, because he was in later videos.

Maybe someone here remembers or even saw that video. Always wondered what that was about.

Spoony is still doing 100x better than the guy who made the video about him.
Spoony Patreon $709
Mister Metokur Patreon $3180

Spoony Youtube: 114,972 subscribers since 2006
[URL="https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCfYbb7nga6-icsFWWgS-kWw"]
Mister Metokur Youtube: 135,626 subscribers since 2014[/URL]

Spoony isn't doing 100x better... well he's falling into irrelevancy faster, that's for sure.

Doing better in the human being department(I guess).
It's a good time to remember this "joke"

I found spoony when I was looking for added resources as to why ff8 was dogshit.

When I found his ff8 video, he made me a lifelong fan. I still go view those videos every now and then.

I miss him making new stuff though. Shame.

Hope he fights off his demons.

Doing better in the human being department(I guess).

Spoony may have his issues, but he wasn't insturmental in the creation of gamergate.

Exactly. He has had problems and messed up in the past, but he has also shown remorse in a way that suggests he isn't a write off as a person.

So he is doing much better. Will he do more videos? Maybe, maybe not. But his old work is still there and that is actually something he can be proud of.

Even if Spoony was updating his patreons/twitter followers on his progress with different anxiety meds and therapies to try and get back to functional that would be fairly forgiveable.

LittleKuriboh does a weekly series chronicling his fight with depression, and it's well received.

Metal B

It's a good time to remember this "joke"
Controverse opinion, but i didn't find this joke offensive at all. Yes, if you would view it in issoulation and out of context, then it is a terrible line. But if you know his humor and work, it isn't at all. Hell, there is Spooining with Spoony, where the joke is the "wired" sex things people to while drunk (where the people are ashmed of there descisions), so it could be interpreted as SM or he portraits himself as terrible rapiest, which is the common joke of making yourself look bad.

The stupid joke was never the problem in my opinion, it was the meltdown after it.

Never watched his videos back in the day, but my brother was telling me about the Patreon drama a few weekends back and it got me interested in this whole story. Hope he is getting the help he needs for his depression. If he doesn't plan on making videos anymore, he should delete his Patreon though. Or at least update fans and supporters about everything that is going on.

Skronk

Banned
Controverse opinion, but i didn't find this joke offensive at all. Yes, if you would view it in issoulation and out of context, then it is a terrible line. But if you know his humor and work, it isn't at all. Hell, there is Spooining with Spoony, where the joke is the "wired" sex things people to while drunk (where the people are ashmed of there descisions), so it could be interpreted as SM or he portraits himself as terrible rapiest, which is the common joke of making yourself look bad.

The stupid joke was never the problem in my opinion, it was the meltdown after it.

I agree, I interpreted it more like dark humour than a rape threat. I've got female friends who'd find this exact joke hilarious but that's the thing, it's the person on the receiving end of the joke that gets to decide if it's offensive.

I agree, I interpreted it more like dark humour than a rape threat. I've got female friends who'd find this exact joke hilarious but that's the thing, it's the person on the receiving end of the joke that gets to decide if it's offensive.

Yeah, considering spoony made 2-3 of those dark humor spooning with spoony videos and that tweet was around the time of anniversary stuff going up/being made odds are it was in reference to another one of those videos.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Spoony is the greatest example of wasted potential. I used to frequent his website multiple times a week. Seeing him basically get a big break with Patreon and then just screwing people over like this has been disgusting.

That video on him is right on the money. The video on the Nostalgia Critic is pretty good too. I'll stay plugged in to see what he puts out about Linkara.

If the stuff I stumbled upon like a year ago is true it will be nice to see someone tear into him.

Sacul64GC

Banned

He is not. I think I read somewhere that CA did not pay him anything during his time running blistered thumbs.

As someone that was heavy in the tgwtg scene if I remember right the person this was directed at had left his(?) Family due to abuse. Really shitty for spoony to not take it into account and the whole sites reaction is what made me stop watching almost all of it.

As for the lupa stuff. I remember something about their being drama about who got featured where due to the shit layout of tgwtg. I liked her on the Nash video's. My take on it at this point is none of us will k ow if it was genuine outrage or manufactured to boot spoony. I was one of the people that felt connected to the site. The whole situation made me realize they are all just people capable of shitty stuff.

His recent tweets are f'in mad,

@loweringthebar For some reason this guy I was stabbing was giving some leftist rant about how he needs blood like it's some big issue now.

I've been re-watching Spoony's old videos again, like I usually do once a year or two, because he use to be one of the best content creators on all of the internet. What in the hell really happened to him? I know I've posted in this thread before asking the same question and I've seen a few videos that seemingly "answer" the question, but there's still holes that need filling like how he has enough money to live.

If you're ever reading this, Spoony, what in the hell happened to you, dude? You use to be a major inspiration in my life and changed the way I look at films and games, even to this day I'm still inspired by your former years. Now you've turned into an insane Twitter foghorn spouting nonsense not many people actually care about.

I've noticed it was around the time he let his hair grown long (2011+) was around the time his content started to dip and become hit and miss, whereas almost all the videos he made with short hair are so good to watch. Short hair Spoony was the best.

Patrick S.

Banned
His recent tweets are f'in mad,

I've been re-watching Spoony's old videos again, like I usually do once a year or two, because he use to be one of the best content creators on all of the internet. What in the hell really happened to him? I know I've posted in this thread before asking the same question and I've seen a few videos that seemingly "answer" the question, but there's still holes that need filling like how he has enough money to live.

If you're ever reading this, Spoony, what in the hell happened to you, dude? You use to be a major inspiration in my life and changed the way I look at films and games, even to this day I'm still inspired by your former years. Now you've turned into an insane Twitter foghorn spouting nonsense not many people actually care about.

I've noticed it was around the time he let his hair grown long (2011+) was around the time his content started to dip and become hit and miss, whereas almost all the videos he made with short hair are so good to watch. Short hair Spoony was the best.

Wow, Richard Garriott is tweeting @ Spoony.

Justinh

I mean... try to do some work for a change.

I know he has issues but if he truly is so sick that he cannot work at all it's time to really throw yourself at professional help.

Hopeford

posted on his twitter today:

My time is up. I'm out of money. I'm going to lose my house and everything else.
5:04 AM - 23 Jul 2017

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/889093831718731776

I'm concerned. I haven't watched his videos since high school(so what, ten years ago?) but he seems like he's going through a lot of issues. I hope things get better for him, both lifewise and like...mentally. Sounds like he's got it really rough from glancing at this thread, and now this :\

Jawmuncher

That's really sad to see. But it's like damn dude you had 6 months and then of course there's that whole years of having a high patreon that you couldn't just work through. Had you cancelled the movie I don't think people would've been mad if the funds were still going to reviews.

Regardless I hope he gets the help he needs. Since I know it stems a bit more than just "I don't wann do it". But it just sucks and is sad to see since he had a lot of avenues to do both things.

Top Bottom