• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the first episode of SAO because of posts like these lol. How many episodes before I regret this decision?

It was the episodes centering around Yui that made it go from just mediocre to pretty bad. And then the second arc, starting around episode 14(?) made the show go from pretty bad to Garbage-tier.

Jarate

Banned
also, new people, if you want to know 2 secrets that this thread shares, then here is our super secret Tonnami-gaf secrets

1. Bring Ping Pong the Animation to Toonami
2. Trust the Process

Morlas

I was wondering if its alright to discuss cartoon network in general in this thread since I sometimes see you guys discuss AS a little bit.

Jarate

Banned
I was wondering if its alright to discuss cartoon network in general in this thread since I sometimes see you guys discuss AS a little bit.

I mean, if the discussion gets out of hand and takes up like pages of the thread and someone actively tells you to stop at that moment, then that's probably when you should stop talking tbh

most of the time, weekday toonami-gaf is pretty off-topic, although we generally keep discussions centered around animation, video games, voice actors, and animated jifs

Anybody else in here playing Nioh?

I really want to play it, but I hav e a backlog of games I want to play through, although the Overwatch event has killed that

Im probably going to get both Nioh and Yakuza 0 at some point tho.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO is fine, not terrible. Not great either. There's just a bunch of haters in this thread.

Speaking about that, let's go over the theory that there's more bad Gundam than G(ood) Gundam. I've seen every show/OVA besides Reconguista and Unicron.

MSG - Good. A bit villain of the day and old, but watchable.
Zeta - Good. Not as great as some claim and toyetic as hell, but redeems itself in the end.
ZZ - Good. Weird, but good. Saved by Judau's amazing voice acting. Might be the progenitor of all anime sister-con shows.
Victory - Bad. A lot of great ideas with some bad execution.
0083 - Bad. The original in the so pretty to look at but terrible story OVAs.
Char's Counterattack - Bad. The second in the pretty graphics, awful story series.
G Gundam - Good. Some of the best Gundam has to offer. The fact that it is a Super Robot Tournament fighter that has better characterization and political intrigue than the real Gundam puts the rest of the series on blast. The show with Robot Gladiatorial games for control of the earth sphere does the war is hell, humanity sucks and needs to do better message better than the rest of the series combined.
Wing - Good. A lot of great ideas but this one starts the trend of even Alternate reality tales just being thinly veiled pastiches of the UC formula.
0080 - Good. Like G Gundam before it merely calling this OVA good is severely understating just how great this is, but I'm going on simple pass/fail.
Gundam X - Good. This is the one borderline show I give a good to. It's an interesting what if story of the UC in which everything goes to hell.
08th MS - Good. The only member of the great animation awful story trilogy to get a pass because its one truly amazing moment is, well, frankly, truly amazing.
Turn A - Good. Happy Tomino. This has all the crazy characters doing bananas things but at least it is doing something different with another happy go lucky protagonist and some truly bizarre but beautiful going ons. Falls apart near the end but style and presentation give it a passing mark.
SEED - Good. The mass market Gundam hit that revitalized the franchise. Yet another retelling of the basic UC plot but this time with extra sex and romance and a lot of Jpop. Very good series at doing the end of episode transition into the ending in fact this and its sequel are masters at cliffhangers.
SEED DESTINY - Bad. I love this show, but it is bad. I think people should watch it (and SEED) probably the ultimate group watch bad Gundam show.
00 - Good. Great series capitalizing on the success of Code Geass/Death Note in that it follows a group of well intentioned villains trying to force peace upon the earth.
00 Season 2 - BAD. Takes everything good about 00 and throws it in the toilet.
AGE - BAD. Just as awful as 00 Season 2.
Gundam Build Fighters - Good. Another Toyetic kids show like G Gundam that somehow puts the rest of the series on blast.
Gundam Build Fighters Try - Good. Nowhere near as good as GBF but certainly good enough to get the pass.
IBO -...I don't know. I want to watch the second season. I'm leaning towards bad though.

13-6. If I consider 00 one product then it would be 12-6 because 00 Season 2 is that bad. If I switch X and give IBO the grade I'd give season one it would be 11-8. I'd also probably hate Reconguista and give it a fail, making my most cynical viewing 11-9, close enough to 50/50, which is about right.

When Gundam is Good, it's Great. When it's bad, it can also be pretty great. When it's awful it is boring. Some people take it too seriously (The only great serious Gundam is the one that stars a little school boy rooting for the underdog) but that's part of the fun.

Jarate

Banned
SAO is one of the worst series with a somewhat large budget ive ever seen. It was terrible from episode one.

Like, I honestly think Naruto is better then SAO, and I absolutely despise Naruto.

SAO is very similar to Attack on Titan where it's carried by decent visuals and a nice idea, but has some of the most brain dead, and awful characters who are shallower then a puddle and with a story that is plodding and nonsensical. SAO though makes me cringe so fucking hard constantly that it's a much worse viewing experience then AOT.

ckohler

SAO is fine, not terrible. Not great either. There's just a bunch of haters in this thread.

I certainly enjoyed making fun of SAO more than the show itself but, yeah, there have been worse shows on the block. The animation was great and Yuuki was a treasure.

Speaking about that, let's go over the theory that there's more bad Gundam than G(ood) Gundam. I've seen every show/OVA besides Reconguista and Unicron.

13-6. If I consider 00 one product then it would be 12-6 because 00 Season 2 is that bad. If I switch X and give IBO the grade I'd give season one it would be 11-8. I'd also probably hate Reconguista and give it a fail, making my most cynical viewing 11-9, close enough to 50/50, which is about right.

When Gundam is Good, it's Great. When it's bad, it can also be pretty great. When it's awful it is boring. Some people take it too seriously (The only great serious Gundam is the one that stars a little school boy rooting for the underdog) but that's part of the fun.

With Gundam, I'm of the opinion that, while not bad, even the better entries had some flawed executions. Save for maybe War in the Pocket there's not an entry that I would actually call "great."

Then again, there's still quite a few series I need to finish.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With Gundam, I'm of the opinion that, while not bad, even the better entries had some flawed executions. Save for maybe War in the Pocket there's not an entry that I would actually call "great."

Then again, there's still quite a few series I need to finish.

I'd call 0080: The War in the Pocket truly great.

G Gundam is also great, the best tv series. Realistic characters in a show about martial arts robot fighting. The one show that actually shows that war is truly hell and what the planet would look like if humanity didn't change. Real ass relationships between a bunch of racial stereotypes.

Build Fighters is behind that but still what I would consider great. The heartfelt emotion, the epic callbacks, the inspired comedy, the quality of the fights. For a show designed so sell models to a younger crowd no show should be this good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never seen a show hit so far above its premise like GBF. Maybe Pokémon XY on production values and some of the older series from a character perspective. Avatar:The Last Airbender is a serious comp for GBF. A kids show that just knocks it out of the park.

GBF:Try is also pretty analogous to Korra for that matter...

I certainly enjoyed making fun of SAO more than the show itself but, yeah, there have been worse shows on the block. The animation was great and Yuuki was a treasure.

Making fun of SAO is fun.

Recently saw a video on Youtube about how SAO was basically the Naruto of the 2010's in that it was a mediocre quality show that happened to become a bunch of people's entry anime due to its themes, thus making it really popular.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto's highs are so much higher than SAO's. Like Bleach it was an honest to goodness good anime/manga for a stretch before it ran out of gas.

zulux21

Making fun of SAO is fun.

Recently saw a video on Youtube about how SAO was basically the Naruto of the 2010's in that it was a mediocre quality show that happened to become a bunch of people's entry anime due to its themes, thus making it really popular.

DBZ/pokemon were my entry shows.
Meanwhile naruto is enjoyable (when you cut out the filler) and so is SAO :p

granted SAO was only like the 600th anime series I watched or so :p

I'd call 0080: The War in the Pocket truly great.

G Gundam is also great, the best tv series. Realistic characters in a show about martial arts robot fighting. The one show that actually shows that war is truly hell and what the planet would look like if humanity didn't change. Real ass relationships between a bunch of racial stereotypes.

Build Fighters is behind that but still what I would consider great. The heartfelt emotion, the epic callbacks, the inspired comedy, the quality of the fights. For a show designed so sell models to a younger crowd no show should be this good.

I still need to watch G Gundam. I've seen a few clips from it and it looks pretty hype.

G Reco is probably the worst.

G Reco did give us this tho.

b_Dge_C8_W.jpg

An accurate summary of many Gundam characters.

Naruto's highs are so much higher than SAO's. Like Bleach it was an honest to goodness good anime/manga for a stretch before it ran out of gas.

DBZ/pokemon were my entry shows.
Meanwhile naruto is enjoyable (when you cut out the filler) and so is SAO :p

granted SAO was only like the 600th anime series I watched or so :p

Well, I've never watched Naruto, because by the time I got around to hardcore watching anime there were enough people ragging on it (Also it was long as hell by that point) that I decided it was worth avoiding.

Like a certain other series.

Like, had I gotten into anime now, I'd probably be avoiding SAO.

Morlas

I always thought Naruto got too much flak for some of its shortcomings(filler aside), its got characters I enjoy following and that's usually enough for me even if the story isn't that great
naruhina ftw btw

zulux21

Well, I've never watched Naruto, because by the time I got around to hardcore watching anime there were enough people ragging on it (Also it was long as hell by that point) that I decided it was worth avoiding.

Like a certain other series.

eh, if you like shonen series you should at least watch the first 80 episodes or so (the first few eps aren't amazing but there are very few long running shonen were that isn't true).
the first 26 are really solid and episode 80 is a fine ending point if I recall right.

i'd easily rate the first 80 episodes higher than the episodes of hunter x hunter we have seen so far (though the next two arcs of hunter x hunter are rated higher than naruto for me)

after that there is a definite dip in quality after that though, but the big war arc that the dub is currently on is at least good popcorn action lol.

I always thought Naruto got too much flak for some of its shortcomings(filler aside), its got characters I enjoy following and that's usually enough for me even if the story isn't that great
naruhina ftw btw

TBH, it's not that different then the reaction DBZ was getting from the anime community in the early-2000s. People suddenly became nostalgiac for it though and are more willing to forgive it's multitude of shortcomings.

I still like Naruto well enough. Between editorial interference and general fatigue, it's hard to keep a Long Running Shonen consistently good throughout it's entirety. You can see it in quite a bit of series, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho (which I love, but had a shit ending), you name it. Even the "better" series like One Piece, not every arc is actually a homerun.

Naruto had enough substance where I actually remained invested until it's final leg. That's more than I can say for Bleach and Fairy Tail.

I also don't actually like Hinata. She should've died during the Pain Arc. That's my hot-take.

eh, if you like shonen series you should at least watch the first 80 episodes or so (the first few eps aren't amazing but there are very few long running shonen were that isn't true).
the first 26 are really solid and episode 80 is a fine ending point if I recall right.

i'd easily rate the first 80 episodes higher than the episodes of hunter x hunter we have seen so far (though the next two arcs of hunter x hunter are rated higher than naruto for me)

after that there is a definite dip in quality after that though, but the big war arc that the dub is currently on is at least good popcorn action lol.

80 episodes is still a lot .-.

Can't even get through 52 episode series nowadays...

Ah well, it's whatever.

zulux21

80 episodes is still a lot .-.

Can't even get through 52 episode series nowadays...

Ah well, it's whatever.

eh... you can end after 22 or something as well (the end of the zabuza arc). the first major arc is solid. I am just saying that the first 80 eps are good not that you would need to watch them.

that is just where the first major event happens and if you ended there it would be a fairly sad ending :p

TBH, it's not that different then the reaction DBZ was getting from the anime community in the early-2000s. People suddenly became nostalgiac for it though and are more willing to forgive it's multitude of shortcomings.

I still like Naruto well enough. Between editorial interference and general fatigue, it's hard to keep a Long Running Shonen consistently good throughout it's entirety. You can see it in quite a bit of series, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho (which I love, but had a shit ending), you name it. Even the "better" series like One Piece, not every arc is actually a homerun.

Naruto had enough substance where I actually remained invested until it's final leg. That's more than I can say for Bleach and Fairy Tail.

I also don't actually like Hinata. She should've died during the Pain Arc. That's my hot-take.

only long running shonen series that I can think of that kept fairly consistent quality is full metal alchemist.

at some point I need to finish reading soul eater to see how that holds up.

I'm definitely getting it.
It's Souls like, but a lot quicker paced, with slightly worse level design, but it's still pretty damn fun...bosses are challenging so far, but it's a Team Ninja game. I've liked all bosses but one so far.

Hinata would've been cool if Kishi could've written her with an actual fucking back bone. I like her, but at the same time her characterization annoys the shit out of me.

To be fair I think YYH's issue with its finale was more togashi just getting bored and wanting to move on to his next work as opposed to the story of the final arc being bad.

zulux21

To be fair I think YYH's issue with its finale was more togashi just getting bored and wanting to move on to his next work as opposed to the story of the final arc being bad.

that sounds about right... the idea wasn't bad it just basically skips a bunch of steps. it should have been much longer.

it's a shame that YYH's ending is still likely to be many times better than hunter x hunter's since it's unlike it will ever actually get an ending at all.

Moaradin

Final episode is good, final arc isn't. Honestly YYH runs out of steam after the Dank Tournament.

Chapter Black is fantastic and is up there with the Dark Tournament. I didn't like it that much when I was younger, but really grew to appreciate it when I watched it again later on. That arc felt like a prototype for HxH in a lot of ways.

I thought the YYH anime did a lot of good for the final arc and ending. The final episode is great imo.

Yeah the Anime Staff handled that last arc pretty well for the material they were given.

only long running shonen series that I can think of that kept fairly consistent quality is full metal alchemist.

at some point I need to finish reading soul eater to see how that holds up.

I think FMA being a monthly series gave more elbow room for it's pacing.

I heard the manga ending for Soul Eater was disappointing.

cntr

Banned
agreed on all counts. I'm gonna have to steal that TLA comparison.

G-Reco is hilarious because it's clearly a 52 episode show condensed into 26. which turns the show into total gibberish, especially since it's one of the goofier entries in the series.
Shippuden, maybe, but early Naruto was amazing. In retrospect, you can see the beginning of all the flaws that would eventually destroy the series, but the original Naruto was a legitimately great battle shounen. After that...well, I've never seen a series before or since that went from so good to so bad.

Same for Bleach, but the quality drop was not as sharp or shocking as Naruto's.

I still like DB much more than DBZ, and after the Frieza Saga, most of Z was pretty eh. DBS seems like something I'll be down with, though

SEED - Good. The mass market Gundam hit that revitalized the franchise. Yet another retelling of the basic UC plot but this time with extra sex and romance and a lot of Jpop. Very good series at doing the end of episode transition into the ending in fact this and its sequel are masters at cliffhangers.

If there is a single thing to take away from Gundam Seed it's how awesome the transition into the first ending is (which I think the HD version got rid of for some ungodly reason)

zulux21

I think FMA being a monthly series gave more elbow room for it's pacing.

I heard the manga ending for Soul Eater was disappointing.

yeah monthly likely helps as it tends to only be 2.5 weeks worth of a weekly release, and it gives them more time to polish up the whole idea of a chapter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
btw Man God, did you watch the 00 movie?

The 00 movie is total garbage.

I think he hates it if I remember correctly.

One could flush the toilet and watch the stuff circle down the drain and you'd essentially be watching the same damn thing.

I completely skipped the 00 movie.

Awakening of the Trail Blazer is awful. Hey let's finally bring aliens into the series, and make them incredibly boring. I fell asleep three times watching a movie with a metal space lizard Gundam man.

The movie within the movie, however, is fantastic.

cntr

Banned
all that the talk reminded me, I wonder if we'll ever get Kabaneri on Toonami to capitalize on the AoT crowd?

it seems like the kind of show they'd consider picking up

Awakening of the Trail Blazer is awful. Hey let's finally bring aliens into the series, and make them incredibly boring. I fell asleep three times watching a movie with a metal space lizard Gundam man.

The movie within the movie, however, is fantastic.
Setsuna wanted to be Gundam so bad he became his own P-Bandai Metal Build.

Josh5890

So I watched the first four episodes of SAO tonight...

I'm not a huge fan of Krito to this point. I hope every episode isn't centered around him helping out the next cutie girl on his journey, then moving on. I like the little bit of Klein that I've seen but there isn't much of him to this point.

I really like the concept though. The idea of an MMO where everyone is trapped in the game sounds really cool. I just hope the plot gets better.

I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment by watching this but the show has me to this point. On a side note, this is my first time using Crunchyroll. I don't mind watching ads but do I have to watch the same Johnny Walker commercial three times in a row????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom