• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, The Cure for Wellness came out, wonder how it's do-

download_1.png

Oh...

...Well what about The Great Wall? Wonder if that's better than ex-

download.png

Oh...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Great Wall never looked that good in the first place.

Why would I want to see a documentary of how Trump wants to build a wall around the country.

i'm totally the first person to make dat joke.

Also omg, 50 Shades + Valentine's Day = very busy day at the theater. Though my friend said it was worse last year because of Deadpool & it falling on a Sunday instead of a weekday.

Regiruler

The anime club had a movie event this week and showed Your Name (our faculty sponsor also prepared a curry dinner to go with it).

The movie reverberated with me in ways I did not expect to. Admittedly I went in with really high expectations for the animation so I was a bit let down in that regard.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
on the bright side Logan has like a 97% from like 39 reviews
for a movie called logan, it sure is convincing me the movie is more focused on rule 63 wolve...I MEAN, X-23 than Logan himself based on the marketing

The anime club had a movie event this week and showed Your Name (our faculty sponsor also prepared a curry dinner to go with it).

The movie reverberated with me in ways I did not expect to. Admittedly I went in with really high expectations for the animation so I was a bit let down in that regard.
All I heard from my friend is that the movie has "scenes that're hard to sit through at times" (though he hasn't seen it either, he just heard that from someone else), which I'm guessing he means emotionally. & if it's like 5 Centimeters Per Second or Voices of a Distant Star, probably will mean I'll want to watch it privately at home so I don't have to try driving home with a ton of tears in my eyes.

Regiruler

for a movie called logan, it sure is convincing me the movie is more focused on rule 63 wolve...I MEAN, X-23 than Logan himself based on the marketing

All I heard from my friend is that the movie has "scenes that're hard to sit through at times" (though he hasn't seen it either, he just heard that from someone else), which I'm guessing he means emotionally. & if it's like 5 Centimeters Per Second or Voices of a Distant Star, probably will mean I'll want to watch it privately at home so I don't have to try driving home with a ton of tears in my eyes.
I think the group setting was better because it made me realize that the others were impacted similarly.

FWIW I don't think a single person in the room ended up crying

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so you're saying bring Your Name to Toonami so we can all suffer & cry watch it together.

I'd go see it in theaters, but as usual, it most likely won't be shown at the one in my town, but maybe my friend & I will make a trip out of seeing it.

FWIW I don't think a single person in the room ended up crying
Oh, so less "Grave of the Fireflies" & more of that Dreams speech we got from TOM, where everyone understands the emotional impact it was aiming to deliver.

Regiruler

so you're saying bring Your Name to Toonami so we can all suffer & cry watch it together.

I'd go see it in theaters, but as usual, it most likely won't be shown at the one in my town, but maybe my friend & I will make a trip out of seeing it.

Oh, so less "Grave of the Fireflies" & more of that Dreams speech we got from TOM, where everyone understands the emotional impact it was aiming to deliver.

Soft spoilers I guess:
It helps it had a happy ending even if I don't fully understand it, but it's way more comprehensible than girl who lept through time which is my benchmark movie for this genre

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Soft spoilers I guess:
It helps it had a happy ending even if I don't fully understand it, but it's way more comprehensible than girl who lept through time which is my benchmark movie for this genre
I think I get what ya mean. Either way, I'm trying to not get my expectations up due to all the box office records it's breaking, but I'm sure it'll still be good.

Now to tune into the NISA event for a Danganronpa V3 release date & get my hopes up for Net High getting localized.

Great! Be sure to post thoughts so I can know whether this whole horrendous ordeal was worth it or not!

I love how long it is, however, it probably is best you guys split up your sessions at least once to keep from exhausting yourselves. Doing all that in what I assume was a single day sounds like it'd have been awful.

I enjoyed it all though. I think the only thing I majorly disagreed with was probably MIkazuki for best dressed. Mostly because I just remember him wearing a jacket that was too big for him. Plus I hate his face and I think the jacket makes him look even dumber.

I have problems with Killua personally but I also don't begrudge anyone who thinks the idea behind his character being as unique as it is outways my grievances with how it was developed into the show.

I love the fact that Jason Demarco made it to top 3 when it comes to names. Something about that just tickles me inside.

Wholeheartly agree with everyone on the worst character list and the placements at the end. I think I liked how that was covered a little more than the Gaf one to be honest.

Worth it all the way. Made the day go by well.

Seda

Dude's even watching Unicorn. I'm not used to seeing the VA's watching the stuff they're in.

Several VAs seem to 'livetweet' Toonami stuff. Erica Mendez (Gon), most of the FUNimation people, saw some Gundam IBO people doing it as well.

The cynical way to look at it is that they are just promoting themselves and in for the $$$ but I think they genuinely enjoy it.

Several VAs seem to 'livetweet' Toonami stuff. Erica Mendez (Gon), most of the FUNimation people, saw some Gundam IBO people doing it as well.

The cynical way to look at it is that they are just promoting themselves and in for the $$$ but I think they genuinely enjoy it.
I will admit to not paying attention to Twitter, but a lot of VA's do seem to enjoy interacting with the fanbase. They know they wouldn't have a job without the fans.

I love how long it is, however, it probably is best you guys split up your sessions at least once to keep from exhausting yourselves. Doing all that in what I assume was a single day sounds like it'd have been awful.

I enjoyed it all though. I think the only thing I majorly disagreed with was probably MIkazuki for best dressed. Mostly because I just remember him wearing a jacket that was too big for him. Plus I hate his face and I think the jacket makes him look even dumber.

I have problems with Killua personally but I also don't begrudge anyone who thinks the idea behind his character being as unique as it is outways my grievances with how it was developed into the show.

I love the fact that Jason Demarco made it to top 3 when it comes to names. Something about that just tickles me inside.

Wholeheartly agree with everyone on the worst character list and the placements at the end. I think I liked how that was covered a little more than the Gaf one to be honest.

Worth it all the way. Made the day go by well.

We actually did record it over the course of two days; the first video is a single day and then the second and third videos are the second day. We're thinking of bringing back voting in some limited capacity so that they don't get any longer than they are and maybe even get a little shorter since actually getting them out ended up being such a massive undertaking. Ideally I'd like to record it over the course of several days but our schedules don't really line up super well in that regard. Whether we vote or not in the future might have some bearing on if we can actually record it over multiple days, because I think we do tend to move through discussions a little faster than we normally would by the end of things regardless. Part of me wants to say that fatigue is just part of the process and the result of framing it more like some dumb argument competition but I dunno that it's for the best, quality-wise.

I still maintain Piccolo was fucking robbed for Best-Dressed and Mikazuki shouldn't have been nominated. I think that part, giving so much recognition to Andrew Love for his role as that serial killer in Parasyte (which I think is good but not THAT good), and maybe some over-recognition of One Punch Man were my main regrets walking away from the awards this year (maybe also having Gohan as Best Character), but that's how it works when it's the decision of four people (which will soon be five) instead of just one so oh well.

Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you liked it and didn't find it to be like horrible and overdone.

We actually did record it over the course of two days; the first video is a single day and then the second and third videos are the second day. We're thinking of bringing back voting in some limited capacity so that they don't get any longer than they are and maybe even get a little shorter since actually getting them out ended up being such a massive undertaking. Ideally I'd like to record it over the course of several days but our schedules don't really line up super well in that regard. Whether we vote or not in the future might have some bearing on if we can actually record it over multiple days, because I think we do tend to move through discussions a little faster than we normally would by the end of things regardless. Part of me wants to say that fatigue is just part of the process and the result of framing it more like some dumb argument competition but I dunno that it's for the best, quality-wise.

I still maintain Piccolo was fucking robbed for Best-Dressed and Mikazuki shouldn't have been nominated. I think that part, giving so much recognition to Andrew Love for his role as that serial killer in Parasyte (which I think is good but not THAT good), and maybe some over-recognition of One Punch Man were my main regrets walking away from the awards this year (maybe also having Gohan as Best Character), but that's how it works when it's the decision of four people (which will soon be five) instead of just one so oh well.

Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you liked it and didn't find it to be like horrible and overdone.

Ah, I figured it had to have been something like that but I wasn't too sure. By the end of it is sounded more like it had been one sitting with a few breaks in between but I guess that just goes to show how exhausting it all is, finding out that it was over the course of two days.

Your welcome though. I find talk about niche nerd stuff I care about like Toonami infinitely more fun to listen to then most any other subject matter and you all do it well. Always look forward to more.

And I was totally on your side when it came to Piccolo and Andrew Love too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just finished Part 2 (probably will save Part 3 for Monday) & 100% agree on the IBO & Dimension W talk during Most Disappointing. Another knock against DW is the fact Funimation was part of the production(?) committee, meaning they though "yes, THIS is the anime we want to be a bigger part of instead of just dubbing it. THIS is the show that'll make it big & be popular", which just baffles me.

I don't really see it as shilling. Most VAs understand that their fans are very passionate and they like to join in on the fun. If I was a VA i'd take every opportunity I could to interact with fans. I think it makes your work more enjoyable if you can see people's positive reaction to it.

Morlas

I don't really see it as shilling. Most VAs understand that their fans are very passionate and they like to join in on the fun. If I was a VA i'd take every opportunity I could to interact with fans. I think it makes your work more enjoyable if you can see people's positive reaction to it.

eh I'm mostly kidding about the shilling part, but if i was part of a famous cartoon you bet your ass i'd cheese the hell out of...wait who are you and what did you do with dipper!?!?!?

That Tomoko Mori animation-directing yo! It's just... *kisses fingertips and release*
Yeah I saw it last year and I think because I marathoned it at a such a fast pace I didn't savor it. I did this time and yeah, it's fucking amazing, excellent choreography and it's intense, little Gon is a monster, was definitely foreshadowing some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom