• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kamille doesn't steal a Gundam just because someone hit him a few times, he wants to join the AEUG because...Of his parents marital problems. No, seriously. It's just a side benefit that his folks work for monsters.

Morlas

Yeah i hope Goku gets some development in the new arc coming up
it would be nice if the tournament teaches him a few things about being a responsible person.

Morlas

Honestly though most of the stuff that people rag on Goku about when it comes to being a parent wasn't really his fault and it's not like he doesn't spend time with his kids when he isn't dead anyway, though admittedly the seven years thing was pretty bad judgement from him.

It also gives one of the best .
I fully agree with every sentiment in that scene.
Ging has only one scene where he's not being a piece of shit dad.
Given how the current discussion goes, I think this is fitting. Japanese fans ranked the best Parent/Child duos in anime.

Goku and Gohan came in at #3. :p
Where the fuck is
Sasuke and Sarada?
I guess everybody is a better dad than Hoenheim right?

Dammit, that character assassination thread on game-gaf reminded me of Bionic Commando, the 2008 game.

Words can't describe how full stupid that game goes at the end and how serious it takes itself.

Bionic_Commando.jpg

I know what you're thinking, "Hellwarden, it's already a pretty dumb..."

You know nothing.

I fully agree with every sentiment in that scene.
Ging has only one scene where he's not being a piece of shit dad.

Where the fuck is
Sasuke and Sarada?
I guess everybody is a better dad than Hoenheim right?

Isshin is actually probably the legit best "shonen dad." This is going to be one of the rare times I saw Bleach should've ranked higher.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dammit, that character assassination thread on game-gaf reminded me of Bionic Commando, the 2008 game.

Words can't describe how full stupid that game goes at the end and how serious it takes itself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Bionic_Commando.jpg

I know what you're thinking, "Hellwarden, it's already a pretty dumb..."

You know nothing.
THE SECRET OF THE ARM.

Also, even Capcom at one point joked about the character/arm design, as they photoshopped a bunch of hot dogs over it to celebrate 4th of July.

Morlas

Ah capcom how glad i am that they've come back in recent years, i remember when people were calling them crapcom a few years ago.

Killua's dad is surprisingly decent considering he's the head of an assassin family.
I always found this hilarious. If it wasn't for Mito being so good and Killua's Geordi Leforge cosplaying mother being so batshit Killua would straight have the best family out of the whole cast.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I always found this hilarious. If it wasn't for Mito being so good and Killua's Geordi Leforge cosplaying mother being so batshit Killua would straight have the best family out of the whole cast.

I dunno about that. Best dad maybe, but his family (
out side Alluka
) is batshit.

Morlas

The one thing i'll say about Ging is he never kicked Gon in the face as he was walking out of his bedroom
He'd have to remember he had a son to do that.

I dunno about that. Best dad maybe, but his family (
out side Alluka
) is batshit.
Miluki is nuts, but he's more or less harmless to Killua, Kalluto isn't like her mom, Illumi, well he's fucking BFF with Hisoka of all fucking people so...yeah...but at the same time he ain't letting anybody harm Killua. Both Zeno and Silva are chill as fuck so...yeah the family is fucked up, but at the very least they all love Killua in some fashion. Not to mention Killua's butlers.
His grandad Zeno is pretty chill.
Even
Netero likes and trusts him
so how bad can he really be?

Miluki is nuts, but he's more or less harmless to Killua, Kalluto isn't like her mom, Illumi, well he's fucking BFF with Hisoka of all fucking people so...yeah...but at the same time he ain't letting anybody harm Killua. Both Zeno and Silva are chill as fuck so...yeah the family is fucked up, but at the very least they all love Killua in some fashion. Not to mention Killua's butlers.

Kalluto's actually a boy :p

Sometimes I swear Madhouse got the bare minimum to work with art assets wise from the manga.

Like with ONE, Togashi does have a very particular style of line-work that could be real hard to replicate.

Nothing to say about some of the nonexistent backgrounds other than I have heard complaints of them being very plain to some viewers of MADHOUSE's anime, but there's no helping that. And it IS a character-driven story after all, so even I never thought the backgrounds mattered too much :p
It is all fairly stylized in the end
Edit: and yeah what B-Dubs said - that was probably one of the magazine scanlations (before it may have been redrawn in the volume format)

Kalluto's actually a boy :p

Like with ONE, Togashi does have a very particular style of line-work that could be real hard to replicate.

Nothing to say about the nonexistent backgrounds other than I have heard complaints of them being very plain to some viewers of MADHOUSE's anime, but there's no helping that. And it IS a character-driven story after all, so even I never thought the backgrounds even mattered :p
It is all fairly stylized in the end
Edit: and yeah what B-Dubs said - that was probably one of the magazine scanlations (before it may have been redrawn in the volume format)
I know Kalluto's a boy, it's just very hard for me to remember this...have fun with a future arc ToonamiGAF. Didn't the
Royal Guard get drawn very poorly in the magazine as well?
Togashi can be a damn good artist when he wants to. All the recent chapters have looked pretty good.
"This place..." Togashi makes sure the food is on point.

Just so I don't come off as completely in defense of whatever Togashi does, he probably did just
trace over some chicken breast

Even then, it is kinda fascinating that he'd put so much detail (for the end result of that magazine scan) of that one panel featuring...a shot of food.

For whatever reason, the author thinks Yotsuba wouldn't really work as an anime.

Comedy wise, I agree with him. It relies so much on the fact that it's a manga that you couldn't really replicate it in animation without changing it into something that doesn't really 'fit'.

Morlas

eh it was pretty obvious fairy tail was ending, they're on the big bad from the start of the series.
Rave was so much better and i'm saddened that the anime never went all the way through.

Just so I don't come off as completely in defense of whatever Togashi does, he probably did just
trace over some chicken breast

Even then, it is kinda fascinating that he'd put so much detail (for the end result of that magazine scan) of that one panel featuring...a shot of food.
If he did that why wouldn't he do that for Gon? If you're making sure random food is better drawn than your protag you might be trolling at that point. HxH really does just have a weird art style to me. The most recent stuff isn't bad looking at all though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Started my Samurai Jack marathon with the first three episodes.

This is how you do visual storytelling, what animation was made for. You can parse everything that's happening perfectly. Hell, there's so little dialogue, it takes 17 minutes before Jack says a word.

Honestly I never saw the first three episodes, just ones that came after. Interesting that Jack is a nickname he picked up from the first people he met in the future and we never learn his real name.

The next 49 episodes will be a treat.

Anything I miss? *sees Fairy Tail is ending* Oh noooo however will I cope? PFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Reel Big Fish! Interesting choice for an anime dub opening and I have always liked the band since I really like ska bands (these guys, Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones) But yeah, Rune Master > Fairy Tail from what I've seen of both.

Rave Master had the benefit of a solid plot. It knew where it was going and what the endgame generally looked like from the very start of the series. Plus not every arc looked like every other arc.

Moaradin

Started my Samurai Jack marathon with the first three episodes.

This is how you do visual storytelling, what animation was made for. You can parse everything that's happening perfectly. Hell, there's so little dialogue, it takes 17 minutes before Jack says a word.

Honestly I never saw the first three episodes, just ones that came after. Interesting that Jack is a nickname he picked up from the first people he met in the future and we never learn his real name.

The next 49 episodes will be a treat.

Anything I miss? *sees Fairy Tail is ending* Oh noooo however will I cope? PFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

About done with my marathon. Currently a few episodes into the last season. I'm constantly surprised by how well the show holds up. I definitely couldn't appreciate some of the beautiful cinematography and animation when I watched it as a kid. I can't think of any bad episodes either. There's a few that are just kinda ok, but none that are straight up bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Rumor is he's been letting his wife help him out lately, you can see the influence here and there.
....holy crap, Yotsuba& is still going? I can't remember the last volume I read, but I know I borrowed about 6 volumes from my library. Plus I own the Azumanga omnibus combining all 4 volumes into one.

Comedy wise, I agree with him. It relies so much on the fact that it's a manga that you couldn't really replicate it in animation without changing it into something that doesn't really 'fit'.
It's been a long time since I've read it, but remind me why it works better as a manga than anime.

Also, I found out they did a TV spin-off of that Danbo character from Yotsuba called "Nyanbo" where it's a bunch of 5-minute shorts involving CGI of the figurines in the real world.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
About done with my marathon. Currently a few episodes into the last season. I'm constantly surprised by how well the show holds up. I definitely couldn't appreciate some of the beautiful cinematography and animation when I watched it as a kid. I can't think of any bad episodes either. There's a few that are just kinda ok, but none that are straight up bad.

Oh yeah, a lot of kids could have gotten bored of this. I'm surprised it even managed to last four seasons beforehand.

Now as an adult, it's brilliant.

cntr

Banned
I'm at the beginning of Season 3 atm.

I'm amazed that the show managed to take the premise "Jack gets turned into a chicken" and make it interesting

....holy crap, Yotsuba& is still going? I can't remember the last volume I read, but I know I borrowed about 6 volumes from my library. Plus I own the Azumanga omnibus combining all 4 volumes into one.
He's talking about Hunter x Hunter, lol

And yeah, Yotsuba& is still going. And it's still great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom