• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WwCWAaa.gif

I was making a (very poor) joke, haha. I'm actually really looking forward to it, and I can't wait to see how their Hatsu develops. HxH is basically my favorite show on the block right now. I go back and re-watch every episode, they're so good.

Btw, the anime streamlines the G.I. arc a good bit presumably so it could get to the next arc faster (and, well, to make the arc work better on a week-to-week basis, give-or-take)

So, after a couple select episodes, I'll cover up whatever intriguing tidbit might've been missed since they sorta speed through this arc more than they had sped through the first episode of the show

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My understanding is that S2 is at least more "interesting" with how it goes off the rails later on.

I might need a summary of the major plot points of S1 when S2 airs, I remember very little aside from "uh, they went to bort.....fumitan died.....one dude was secretly bad & was all "lulz i gonna marry your little underage sis, bro" & the one dude who did nothing but talk about his mentor died in the final episode"

From what I've seen so far, enhancing is definitely the most "boring" nen type. They're good at offense, good at defense, and their Hatsu (again, from what I have seen) has been punch hard/kick hard in some kind of special way. The other classes have to get much more creative if they want to be competent fighters.

Not that I'm sure there won't be exceptions, but that's my impression thus far. In that regard, I'd also say I'm looking forward towards Killua's Hatsu more as well. Plus, he's fucking Static!

As a base Enhancers are the most straight forward and "boring" type of nen for sure. If you don't add conditions, restrictions or use another type of nen alongside it; you will end up with Hatsu like Uvo's which is simply pure power close combat releases+ a super shield via your nen aura when not in zetsu.

I'm reading greed Island in the manga right now and my biggest issue is that I don't really feel compelled to remember all the rules laid out in this giant mountain of text.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My understanding is that S2 is at least more "interesting" with how it goes off the rails later on.

I might need a summary of the major plot points of S1 when S2 airs, I remember very little aside from "uh, they went to bort.....fumitan died.....one dude was secretly bad & was all "lulz i gonna marry your little underage sis, bro" & the one dude who did nothing but talk about his mentor died in the final episode"

The most boring city in North America got leveled in a fight between a centaur man gundam and everyone's favorite sociopath/victim of circumstances.

MzodQpO.gif

I'm reading greed Island in the manga right now and my biggest issue is that I don't really feel compelled to remember all the rules laid out in this giant mountain of text.
Being confused and buried under a mountain of text is the true HxH experience.
I might get flayed for this but I actually like super more than either one
I still like both of them a lot.
I consider Super to be dumb fun, and it's enjoyable enough. SDC is paced poorly in my opinion though. It gets good half way though or at least marathoned so you don't have to wait a week for all those damn two parters.

I can't recall if it was the Amazon.JP website or something, but I read Japanese reviews/comments somewhere from back when the HxH 2011 anime had first begun - I think at around ~30 episodes, and even Japanese HxH fans were trashing on it then. I don't know if it's been updated since, so I'm not sure whether or not the many succeeding episodes swayed their opinions like it did for people like me

I can't recall if it was the Amazon.JP website or something, but I read Japanese reviews/comments somewhere from back when the HxH 2011 anime had first begun - I think at around ~30 episodes, and even Japanese HxH fans were trashing on it then. I don't know if it's been updated since, so I'm not sure whether or not the many succeeding episodes swayed their opinions like it did for people like me
I would assume it got bashed because it was trying to be a kids show, which HxH in manga form is not...it's fucking nightmare fuel at points.
Bisky is love Bisky is life, Bisky will kick the shit out of you...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Its probably the fact it was in a morning kids show slot and geared to that demographic. Why they thought that was a direction they could keep up with is still a bit baffling and I realize Japanese kids shows are way more extreme in terms of content but come on.

I think my biggest problem with HxH is it takes way too long to give me a real reason to care about Gon's adventure.

It doesn't help that I don't really like the art of HxH.

HStallion

I think my biggest problem with HxH is it takes way too long to give me a real reason to care about Gon's adventure.

If you can find my posts on my first go through of HxH I really didn't get the show at all and was actively shitting on Gon as your typical happy go lucky super powered shonen protag well into the York New arc. How wrong I was... I was so wrong...

That's a problem with the adaptation. I don't get why they skipped most of the first chapter and the flashback with Kite which helps to really set up why Gon is so motivated to go on his journey.

If you can find my posts on my first go through of HxH I really didn't get the show at all and was actively shitting on Gon as your typical happy go lucky super powered shonen protag well into the York New arc. How wrong I was... I was so wrong...
We probably both were...Gon...Gon isn't Goku...you think you can PM me some of those?

HStallion

We probably both were...Gon...Gon isn't Goku...you think you can PM me some of those?

They're somewhere in the HxH 2011 anime thread. I got shit for it too but I was seriously thinking that Gon was just be another Goku who is a dumb happy go lucky kid who somehow is much more powerful than everyone else and does everything for his friends and vice versa. That said its not off the mark but what Togashi does with this is what elevates things beyond your typical Shonen protag.

I was also inspired to watch HxH by (late HxH spoilers)
seeing a gif of Gon transforming against Pitou in some random thread that wasn't even about anime

That's a problem with the adaptation. I don't get why they skipped most of the first chapter and the flashback with Kite which helps to really set up why Gon is so motivated to go on his journey.

Yeah, aside from leaving out Kite, there are more reasonable explanations for everything else the show does and doesn't adapt (even if the latter leaves people hanging in the dark)

They're somewhere in the HxH 2011 anime thread. I got shit for it too but I was seriously thinking that Gon was just be another Goku who is a dumb happy go lucky kid who somehow is much more powerful than everyone else and does everything for his friends and vice versa. That said its not off the mark but what Togashi does with this is what elevates things beyond your typical Shonen protag.

I was also inspired to watch HxH by (late HxH spoilers)
seeing a gif of Gon transforming against Pitou in some random thread that wasn't even about anime
Yeah Togashi pretty much puts happy go lucky shonen kid trope in a fucked up world and has way too much fucking fun with that shit. He sprinkles in some "That boy ain't right" moments here and there, but you really need to pay attention to see them though.

Yeah, aside from leaving out Kite, there are more reasonable explanations for everything else the show does and doesn't adapt (even if the latter leaves people hanging in the dark)

Are there any other major changes on the scale of kite being cut from chapter 1? I know the ending is slightly different to try and give the anime a bit more closure because lol at togashi ever doing enough of the current arc for it to get animated.

That's something that confuses me whenever I see someone say it.

The style of the 2011 HxH anime always looked nice to me whenever I saw it, and I think it's consistently good looking through all I've seen of it.

Line_HTX

DeMarco's favorite movies this year. I hope if Toonami ever shows movies again, it shows Your Name to wash away and redeem the incoherence that was Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

DFizeQXXoAINoxZ.jpg

Xe4

Banned
DeMarco's favorite movies this year. I hope if Toonami ever shows movies again, it shows Your Name to wash away and redeem the incoherence that was Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

DFizeQXXoAINoxZ.jpg

That's a pretty good list TBH.
I still have to watch Your Name. I planned to go up to the city that's an hour from where I live (which was the closest place playing it), but the first time I could was one day after it stopped playing in theaters.
Lame.

The style of the 2011 HxH anime always looked nice to me whenever I saw it, and I think it's consistently good looking through all I've seen of it.

I don't think the 2011 show looks bad. It's certainly well produced for such a long running show.

But the art doesn't work for me.

If I knew nothing about HxH at all, and you showed me Gon's design...

d07706b3c6cbd13d3a6a4ce48966753c--portrait-cospl.jpg

...my first reaction would be "Boy that design does nothing for me."

Gon to me kind of looks like a filler character in Pokemon or something.

I personally don't have strong feelings for a single Togashi character design, if not outright dislike most of them.

I don't think the 2011 show looks bad. It's certainly well produced for such a long running show.

But the art doesn't work for me.

If I knew nothing about HxH at all, and you showed me Gon's design...

Gon starts off as such a happy kid...would be a shame if Togashi did something to him...

Right from the next episode on, Gon's design will gradually, subtly change (most noticeably his hair shrinks down and he begins to resemble his manga design more)

Moaradin

Are there any other major changes on the scale of kite being cut from chapter 1? I know the ending is slightly different to try and give the anime a bit more closure because lol at togashi ever doing enough of the current arc for it to get animated.

Not really, no. There is some stuff with Gyro that got cut in the anime, but who knows when that will be relevant because loltogashi

Oh geez, I was looking forward to it.

Better temper my expectations.

it's probably worth watching for the effects because they're awesome but the narrative is super amateurish. it's not even bad in a traditional sense of like stupid things happening, it's just bad because they need to take a screenwriting class to learn about flow and buildup and all that basic stuff.

Moaradin

I really like the new HxH opening and especially the new ending.

Yeah, they're great. It's too bad Toonami isn't bothering to show the full new openings anymore. Also kinda worried how they'll handle some special exceptions later on. (very minor spoilers)
The end of the CA arc and the second last episode of the anime have special ending credits with after credit scenes that NEED to be shown.

Yeah, they're great. It's too bad Toonami isn't bothering to show the full new openings anymore. Also kinda worried how they'll handle some special exceptions later on. (very minor spoilers)
The end of the CA arc and the second last episode of the anime have special ending credits with after credit scenes that NEED to be shown.
Oh shit...yeah they better not fuck with those.

Chase17

Imagine if it's skipped haha.

Probably just move them in front of the credits I guess. Though I guess that won't work as well. Hmm

Regiruler

Whenever they get Mob Psycho 100 its gonna blow some minds is all I'm gonna say. Its as well animated as One Punch Man and has a far more heartfelt story line, a cast of hilarious characters and subverts a lot of common manga/anime tropes as well as HxH does.

You people aren't ready for episode 5.

I'm actually not a fan of its subversions, to be honest, mostly in the last episode. I think it'd be more enjoyable if they played things straight, even if it would make it less unique.

If Reigen had been the leader of claw like that one stinger tried to imply I think I would have enjoyed it more, provided there were some teeny edits in the prior material to accommodate it. If they had actually gone through with it, it would have been true to his con man character, and they could have played his role in establishing Claw as true to his character regarding the rules of psychic powers even without misconstructing him.

Xe4

Banned
Whenever they get Mob Psycho 100 its gonna blow some minds is all I'm gonna say. Its as well animated as One Punch Man and has a far more heartfelt story line, a cast of hilarious characters and subverts a lot of common manga/anime tropes as well as HxH does.

I'm actually really looking forward to it, but am trying to keep my expectations in check. I heard it has a lot of fluid experimental animation which is just something I adore. I'm going to at least try to go in with no feelings one way or another.

Mizerman

Can't wait to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom