• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
They can't use their own experiences to get it right?
Having experienced something doesn't mean you'll be good at writing it, and well, a lot of people have not.

...especially in Japan. Japan is kind of a fucked up repressed place. The younger generation might be able to fix it, but...yeah.

Regiruler

Since we seem to be going there, I'm of the opinion that the declining birth rate isn't a bad thing. The only issue I have is that it's destroying small communities as opposed to decrowding cities, in an age when where you live shouldn't really be all that important for most work (this last point is an international thing, not just Japan).

I mean, no part of my internships were actually impossible or even that much more difficult at home, I'm sure most white collar jobs are the same.

cntr

Banned
That's not the issue with Japan. The declining birth rate is a symptom of the bigger issue, that Japanese society is really messed up, and a huge amount of people there simply can't handle romance and relationships in a healthy way as a result of it.

And most societies with declining birth rates get immigrants to fill in, and not doing so would collapse your economy from the workforce vanishing. Which is, uh, pretty much where Japan is heading.

As I post this I have a JoJo Blu-ray boxset ad for Amazon on that page

Edit:
giphy.gif

Correction: As I check a look on that webpage I have a JoJo Blu-ray boxset ad for Amazon on it

cntr

Banned
Do they have pretty strict immigration laws?

They do.

But more generally, Japan gets really into the idea of conformism and obedience to authority, so much so that you can see people say that Japanese people are inherently different from other human beings, and that they don't need individuality. Which is obviously bullshit, and where most of Japan's social and mental health issues come from. Immigration doesn't really fit into that worldview.

It's gotten so crazy that back in the 90s, when a terrorist cult spread nerve gas in the Tokyo subway, a lot of the passengers refused to help, or even pay attention to, anyone because nobody told them to so, and a lot of them went to work even when being affected by the gas, because that's what you have to do. Heck, people work overtime not because they were told to by their boss, but because that's what their coworkers do, and they have to fit in. Even to the point where they literally work themselves to death.

The younger generations are starting to throw this off, thanks to the tsunami, Fukushima, and Shinzo Abe really pissing them off and turning them against authority, along with a lot of influence from Western media, but it really is fucked up and a complete mess.

...jesus, that got serious. Sorry.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder if there's a Japanese anime 'bout this?

Welcome to the NhK? Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? Only to that I can think.

There's a ton of it. Those are probably the two most famous ones though. A lot of manga and anime are also really quiet about it, but they do deal with these issues to a degree.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if there's a Japanese anime 'bout this?

Welcome to the NhK? Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? Only to that I can think.
...the most recent example I can think of is My Hero Academia, but that sound'll like bullshit out of context. It's pretty subtle about it (so far), but it's directly about this.

But yeah, there's a ton. Especially over the last few years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
...the most recent example I can think of is My Hero Academia, but that sound'll like bullshit out of context.

But yeah, there's a ton. Especially over the last few years.

I mean, even stuff like One Piece does it. It's really hard for someone to write a story without the world around them and their ideas on it influencing said story.

cntr

Banned
I mean, even stuff like One Piece does it. It's really hard for someone to write a story without the world around them and their ideas on it influencing said story.
Oh, yeah, definitely. I'm bringing up MHA since it's central to the themes of the story, but everything has it.

caliph95

What probably doesn't help in the relationship department on that women see marriage as a shackle and may lose their jobs at least i heard could be completely wrong. So some to keep their jobs decide not to, correct me please

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In Japan, you can be fired from your job for getting pregnant.

So.
Which we kind of saw in Parasyte with Reiko Tamura, especially since they were all "you won't tell us who the father is, which is kind of suspicious for some reason"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, yeah, definitely. I'm bringing up MHA since it's central to the themes of the story, but everything has it.

It's pretty much the same with One Piece. The main character is rebelling against a restrictive society, by becoming a pirate, and all he really wants is the freedom to go wherever and do whatever he wants.

Ironically Naruto probably fed into all of the bad Japanese culture stuff for most of it's run.

cntr

Banned
It's pretty much the same with One Piece. The main character is rebelling against a restrictive society, by becoming a pirate, and all he really wants is the freedom to go wherever and do whatever he wants.

Ironically Naruto probably fed into all of the bad Japanese culture stuff for most of it's run.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of One Piece like that before, but yeah, definitely. I would still say that MHA is more directly connected, since it's set in a modern/near-future world, and addresses specific issues like e.g.,
arranged marriages.
edit: And importantly, the Japanese word for quirks in MHA is kosei, or literally translated, 'individuality'. So it's kind of on the nose there.

And...yep. Naruto kind of brought up with the Hyuugas, but of course, Neji was right all along.

caliph95

Also the persona games or at least 5 from I heard

I love 4 but it's funny how you can interpret the message of being suck it up and deal with it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, I hadn't thought of One Piece like that before, but yeah, definitely. I would still say that MHA is more directly connected, since it's set in a modern/near-future world, and addresses specific issues like e.g.,
arranged marriages

And...yep. Naruto kind of brought up with the Hyuugas, but of course, Neji was right all along.

The further into One Piece you get the more blatant it all becomes. Sadly, Toonami stopped airing right before it really starts becoming super clear. But, even stuff with like how the Marines are viewed early on are a subtle commentary, even if the average person doesn't see it. That shit isn't done by accident.

But yea, anything that's any kind of popular hit is going to have something to say about the society it's been created in. It's part of why it hits home in the first place.

I'm talking more about the very idea of Naruto working super hard to one day be the boss so everyone finally respects him. Replace ninja missions with office work and you'll see it.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Persona 5 is literally about this too. It's specifically based on political stuff from the last few years in Japan.

(Execution is arguable.)

I'm talking more about the very idea of Naruto working super hard to one day be the boss so everyone finally respects him. Replace ninja missions with office work and you'll see it.
Ha, good point.

And good point on One Piece too, I'd forgotten about all that.

cntr

Banned
Jonathan had an asshole dad. Joseph probably would've had a good dad, but, well. go figure.

I guess Holly had too good of a dad?

caliph95

Togashi must hate children lol
I mean in Jojo dads are either deadbeats, assholes or dead

Moms in one piece are dead because something I remember oda saying like something along the lines of a mom wouldn't let them go on adventures or something
(At least it's not bakuman, where men have dreams women don't understand)

In togashi's children tend to be sympathetic and strong in level e, hxh and yuyu hakuso

Togashi loves children

It's why Hisoka is his favorite character
Joking

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Boruto is really flipping the script on that mentality.

BBboy20

The further into One Piece you get the more blatant it all becomes. Sadly, Toonami stopped airing right before it really starts becoming super clear. But, even stuff with like how the Marines are viewed early on are a subtle commentary, even if the average person doesn't see it. That shit isn't done by accident.

But yea, anything that's any kind of popular hit is going to have something to say about the society it's been created in. It's part of why it hits home in the first place.

Yet, in the end, all of their collective effort doesn't seem to do jack shit in stopping it.

Guess you can say the same about all art with a progressive message....

cntr

Banned
Yet, in the end, all of their collective effort doesn't seem to do jack shit in stopping it.
It did, though. It's thanks to stuff like this that Japan is finally rebelling against the traditional order, and modern Japanese media is pushing it even further for the next generation.

We haven't seen the results yet because it's just getting started, but Japan is going to be a very volatile place for the next few decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom