• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The movie actually had a rather touching scene about the fact that the world needs Kenshiro more than Kenshiro's desire to rescue Yuria since, when you think about it, she's technically safe & there are people who are far worse off that can't defend themselves and need Kenshiro's power, which really stands out when most of your movie is "dude who punches people so hard, they erupt into a guts volcano"

And what's dragon balls message? Do what you love and you can achieve great things?

It doesn't really have one.

For a very brief period, right when it was really hitting Japan it was "Fuck predatory loan sharks and shady real estate deals".

latest

Even Jotaro has a deadbeat dad.
Most Jojo's have father problems though...
I mean in Jojo dads are either deadbeats, assholes or dead

Moms in one piece are dead because something I remember oda saying like something along the lines of a mom wouldn't let them go on adventures or something
(At least it's not bakuman, where men have dreams women don't understand)

In togashi's children tend to be sympathetic and strong in level e, hxh and yuyu hakuso

Togashi loves children

It's why Hisoka is his favorite character
Joking
I do find it interesting how Togashi flipped Yusuke and Gon's parental experiences.

Regiruler

They do.

But more generally, Japan gets really into the idea of conformism and obedience to authority, so much so that you can see people say that Japanese people are inherently different from other human beings, and that they don't need individuality. Which is obviously bullshit, and where most of Japan's social and mental health issues come from. Immigration doesn't really fit into that worldview.

It's gotten so crazy that back in the 90s, when a terrorist cult spread nerve gas in the Tokyo subway, a lot of the passengers refused to help, or even pay attention to, anyone because nobody told them to so, and a lot of them went to work even when being affected by the gas, because that's what you have to do. Heck, people work overtime not because they were told to by their boss, but because that's what their coworkers do, and they have to fit in. Even to the point where they literally work themselves to death.

The younger generations are starting to throw this off, thanks to the tsunami, Fukushima, and Shinzo Abe really pissing them off and turning them against authority, along with a lot of influence from Western media, but it really is fucked up and a complete mess.

...jesus, that got serious. Sorry.

Except Japan seems to be the only country that can keep their cities clean worth a damn, and their crime levels are famously low.

I think their conformity has a ton of benefits.

Except Japan seems to be the only country that can keep their cities clean worth a damn, and their crime levels are famously low.

I think their conformity has a ton of benefits.
From what I hear they don't even pay attention to suicide victims...or don't care or something. Their infrastructure is top notch, but some aspects of that society seem a bit cold. Not that America can judge too harshly on this front.

On the topic of individuality and conformism in Japan, Mob Psycho 100 does a great job of subverting the concept of being born with talent and being born normal.

Japan's police force has been widely criticized for their aversion to investigating often clear murder cases unless there is an obvious suspect to keep that crime rate low.

Not to mention certain cultural attitudes have led to a severe underreporting of sexual assault.

Regiruler

That's a really fucked up thing to say, dude.

It's unfortunate that human beings need to be under such a conformist society for them to realize that their actions are part of the whole and impact other people (look at any asshole who leaves their trash for others to pick up, or people opting not to carpool or use public transit simply out of minor convenience).

I hope the work culture does get better (especially regarding parenting and maternity leave) but Japan's social structure has created its own set of admirable strengths in instilling some sort of desire to look out for more than just yourself.'
Japan's police force has been widely criticized for their aversion to investigating often clear murder cases unless there is an obvious suspect to keep that crime rate low.

Not to mention certain cultural attitudes have led to a severe underreporting of sexual assault.
Former I was unaware of, although I have heard of their rather dubious court system being very favorable to the prosecution.
On the topic of individuality and conformism in Japan, Mob Psycho 100 does a great job of subverting the concept of being born with talent and being born normal.
Ritsu probably has my favorite character arc in the entire (first) season. I feel like his desire for something beyond his grasp, while he has a ton of gifts already laid on him, is incredibly relatable.

cntr

Banned
Mental illness often isn't considered a real thing in Japan and people are very reluctant to admit it because conformism. Though Japan isn't unique in either regard, of course.

Mix that up with suicide being a traditionally acceptable thing, and...yeah.

This is true too.

There's a general social pressure not to report crimes, because again, you'd stand out by doing so.

cntr

Banned
It's unfortunate that human beings need to be under such a conformist society for them to realize that their actions are part of the whole and impact other people (look at any asshole who leaves their trash for others to pick up, or people opting not to carpool or use public transit simply out of minor convenience).

I hope the work culture does get better (especially regarding parenting and maternity leave) but Japan's social structure has created its own set of admirable strengths in instilling some sort of desire to look out for more than just yourself.'
Former I was unaware of, although I have heard of their rather dubious court system being very favorable to the prosecution.
Think about what you're actually saying, dude. We're talking about a society where people will, among other things, voluntarily overwork themselves to death, hide away from society in fear, to abandon the idea of having healthy relationships, abandon people to die, and generally suffer from severe mental issues. All for a bunch of clean roads? That's an incredibly horrible way of looking at it. There's many better ways to clean roads than that.

Morlas

People should be free to do what makes them happy so long as it doesnt hurt others in my opinion but society as a whole puts a lot of restrictions on that

Regiruler

I probably came off as kind of hostile... I'm just tired of humans ruining it for other people from shortsightedness. We could have so much in place to help prevent damage from global warming if individually capitalistic culture wasn't so selfish.

cntr

Banned
Extreme individualism is another problem, but what Japan has is extreme conformism. Both are pretty horrible.

...jeez, not a conversation I expected to be having today in this thread.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The message I'm getting from this is "everywhere in the world actually sucks, not just the US, & we all have our own ways to try & forget that"

caliph95

The Ace Attorney series serves as a parody and critique of that issue.
At the time of the series cops and prosecutors ten to have a high conviction rates some belied to be due to coerced confession.

Attorney tend to get handful of cases won if they're lucky。 I think during that time before the reform of the justice system that one of the more famous attorney got like 5 or 6

Its why in the games prosecutors get away with tons of shit as point and defence attorneys get shit on

cntr

Banned
There isn't a society that's totally perfect, but overall, there are plenty that are pretty good, and the world as a whole has been getting better. Japan and the US are doing terrible, but they're the exception to the trend, not the rule.

...I know, not very consoling. But it's true.

At the time of the series cops and prosecutors ten to have a high conviction rates some belied to be due to coerced confession.

Attorney tend to get handful of cases won if they're lucky。 I think during that time before the reform of the justice system that one of the more famous attorney got like 5 or 6

Its why in the games prosecutors get away with tons of shit as point and defence attorneys get shit on
Japan, until very recently, worked on "guilty until proven innocent" rules. On top of that there was a lot of corruption and backroom deals, and the high conviction rate meant that people who got arrested were just assumed to be guilty, and there was a ton of social pressure to "confess". Another thing that's declining, thankfully.

One of the darker aspects of Ace Attorney series is how multiple prosecutors forge or alters evidence, and mostly they don't face any sort of punishment for it.

There isn't a society that's totally perfect, but overall, there are plenty that are pretty good, and the world as a whole has been getting better. Japan and the US are doing terrible, but they're the exception to the trend, not the rule.

...I know, not very consoling. But it's true.

Japan, until very recently, worked on "guilty until proven innocent rules". There was a lot of corruption and backroom deals, and the high conviction rate meant that people who got arrested were just assumed to be guilty. Another thing that's declining, thankfully.

UK could be doing better.

cntr

Banned
Edgeworth was a scumbag who forged evidence and all that, but he became that way because his backstory and von Karma really screwed him up and made him bitter. That's why he goes on that extended vacation between AA1 and AA2.

Regiruler

I do love how they retcon edgeworth in being innocent even though I think they implied he did

I'm still conflicted on that storyline, for weird reasons. In AA1, it felt like all his demons regarding forgery were wrapped up with the bonus chapter, but then he leaves. It didn't feel like the right progression to me and that soured Edgeworth for me a bit.

caliph95

Edgeworth was a scumbag who forged evidence and all that, but he became that way because his backstory and von Karma really screwed him up and made him bitter. That's why he goes on that extended vacation between AA1 and AA2.
Yeah but later on they retcon it that all he did was dirty tricks like withholding stuff lawyers but nothing that illegal and it was just rumors

The one time he did he was tricked into using it

caliph95

Yeah, I kind of ignore 1-5 when I think about Edgeworth's character arc. It works better without.
You also have to ignore the investigation games, where he became less zealous and more critical of the law but apparently never broke law

I mean Edgeworth definitely sent some people to prison who were innocent.

There's no way he didn't.
No I meant in forget and altering evidence

Regiruler

I mean Edgeworth definitely sent some people to prison who were innocent.

There's no way he didn't.

It's honestly hard for me to imagine other cases in the AA universe because everything in the cases you play seem extraordinary.

Probability wise, given how he acted it's quite likely he did, but I just can't really imagine those cases in my mind.

...Maybe it's simply because it's been a few months since I've played it.

cntr

Banned
Edgeworth also went along with Redd White manipulating the law and accusing Phoenix all that other bullshit, remember? So he can't be totally innocent and unaware of it, I mean, he literally took part in it.

You also have to ignore the investigation games, where he became less zealous and more critical of the law but apparently never broke law
But that happened after his AA1 character arc, so that's fine. The one part of the game
where you play as Young Edgeworth
, he was a total cock, as he should be.

caliph95

Edgeworth also went along with Redd White manipulating the law and accusing Phoenix all that other bullshit, remember? So he can't be totally innocent and unaware of it, I mean, he literally took part in it.

But that happened after his AA1 character arc, so that's fine. The one part of the game
where you play as Young Edgeworth
, he was a total cock, as he should be.
Yeah it's why I pretend he totally did and ignore that

Yeah that was the best part AA2 was the best

Regiruler

I totally blanked on Redd White tbh.
Although at the time I thought Edgeworth was holding a ton of idiot balls.

EDIT: Wait,
playing as Edgeworth
? Are we talking Ace Attorney 3? I'm confused what
...Young...
in this context refers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom