• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SRW is super fun if you're into mecha shows. I'unno how it'd come across if you weren't.
I think I'm right in the middle. I looked at the list of series represented in SRW V & some stood out (yay Full Metal Panic, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, & Eva), but then a few were...eeh (Cross Ange & Unicorn), & the rest were "I don't know enough of these to feel excited", though I know in previous games, they had stuff like Eureka 7, Big O, Macross, Escaflowne, Sega's Virtual-On, Tekkaman Blade, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, & Zoids. But the problem is that all those franchises are spread across all the different games, so it's hard to decide which game would have the most characters I'd care about.

cntr

Banned
I'm really pissed they took Macross Frontier out of that game.
Probably would've run into the usual copyright issues. It's the first officially localized English mainline SRW ever.

I think I'm right in the middle. I looked at the list of series represented in SRW V & some stood out (yay Full Metal Panic, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, & Eva), but then a few were...eeh (Cross Ange & Unicorn), & the rest were "I don't know enough of these to feel excited", though I know in previous games, they had stuff like Eureka 7, Big O, Macross, Escaflowne, Sega's Virtual-On, Tekkaman Blade, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, & Zoids. But the problem is that all those franchises are spread across all the different games, so it's hard to decide which game would have the most characters I'd care about.
Check out SRW J, it's a pretty good intro to the series. And it has a complete translation patch!

cntr

Banned
Also, for what it's worth, SRW games mash up and adjust the plots of the shows they adapt, so usually the bad shows are fixed to have better or more sensible plots in the game. Like, the SRW Z version of SEED Destiny is actually pretty decent!

Seda

Also, for what it's worth, SRW games mash up and adjust the plots of the shows they adapt, so usually the bad shows are fixed to have better or more sensible plots in the game. Like, the SRW Z version of SEED Destiny is actually pretty decent!

I have no interest in SRW and I'm not fan of crossover stuff in general, but I was talking with a colleague during a podcast about SRW just now actually. They were saying something similar, where most crossovers take characters from their respective worlds and have them meet for the first time in a wacky adventure, while SRW is more an established combined canon world of its constituent franchises.

Raxus

I now have enough hearts to pull the Master Sword in Zelda and it is almost time for Toonami. Good stuff.

cntr

Banned
And knowing my luck they won't give a shit with the game that has Macross Delta in it.
They probably do give a shit, but it's impossible to risk it when Harmony Gold's involved. Macross is one of the primary reasons that SRW games don't get released in English.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have no interest in SRW and I'm not fan of crossover stuff in general, but I was talking with a colleague during a podcast about SRW just now actually. They were saying something similar, where most crossovers take characters from their respective worlds and have them meet for the first time in a wacky adventure, while SRW is more an established combined canon world of its constituent franchises.

They do a good job of it in Project Cross Zone 2 as well, though I doubt the franchise continues.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, SRW games aren't crossovers in a typical "universes combining" sense, they're internal fusions of their constituent series. It's total fanservice, and it even actually makes sense!

Like, for example, one of the SRW games ties in an equivalent of Newtypes from a Gundam show with Spiral Energy from Gurren Lagann, and manages to have it make sense and be more interesting. And nearly everything is like that, from concepts to characters to plot points! It's really impressive, from a writing standpoint.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So Cross Ange is actually tolerable? Well, that already makes the game more interesting.

It's kind of interesting to see a crossover series have an established canon & not have everyone be all "OMG WHO'RE YOU!?", which was kind of nice in Project X Zone 2, even with the new characters (i.e. every Sega character was completely familiar with Segata Sanshiro, even if they were originally from a Genesis or Dreamcast game).

They do a good job of it in Project Cross Zone 2 as well, though I doubt the franchise continues.
I seriously hope for PxZ3 just so we can have even more Nintendo characters. PxZ2, for the most part, was able to cut down on the tediousness that the first game had, so I'm hoping they can take feedback from the sequel & further improve on it for the 3rd game.

....plus having a Switch version would be neat.

Xe4

Banned
Hey all, I'm making the OT for Samurai Jack S5, and seeing as it's going to play on Toonami, if you have any input or want to see the thread (so far), feel free to PM me. I'll get back to you ASAP.

I don't watch Toonami altogether too much (no cable), but I am going to making the expense, and watching for the next ten weeks, and of course will link this thread in the OT.

: )

They probably do give a shit, but it's impossible to risk it when Harmony Gold's involved. Macross is one of the primary reasons that SRW games don't get released in English.
Oh I know exactly what you mean. It's just that Frontier is one of my favorite Macross shows and Delta...I didn't like Delta too much.

cntr

Banned
So Cross Ange is actually tolerable? Well, that already makes the game more interesting.

It's kind of interesting to see a crossover series have an established canon & not have everyone be all "OMG WHO'RE YOU!?", which was kind of nice in Project X Zone 2, even with the new characters (i.e. every Sega character was completely familiar with Segata Sanshiro, even if they were originally from a Genesis or Dreamcast game).
Yeah, everything in the SRW games takes place on the same world, and the backstory gets tied together. e.g., SRW J adapts Makinkaiser, which is a sequel, and so everybody in the game knows Koji Kabuto and all the other main characters, since the events of Mazinger Z already happened and made them famous.

They also usually simplify and tie stuff in together, like having all the "student" characters from various shows like Full Metal Panic go to the school from Code Geass in the SRW Z series. Plus a ton of super fanservice-y crap, like having Simon from Gurren Lagann and Noriko from Gunbuster be a "big bro" and "big sis" to the EVA kids.

I cannot promise that they actually managed to salvage Cross Ange's plot

Seda

Hey all, I'm making the OT for Samurai Jack S5, and seeing as it's going to play on Toonami, if you have any input or want to see the thread (so far), feel free to PM me. I'll get back to you ASAP.

I don't watch Toonami altogether too much (no cable), but I am going to making the expense, and watching for the next ten weeks, and of course will link this thread in the OT.

: )

I don't have any advice for the thread other than you should link the Behind The Scenes video in there somewhere. (it's always great to hear directly from the creator)

That said people might be confused "which thread do I post in?" The short answer is 'either, whichever one you're more comfortable with'. That said I think quite a few people might use this thread for the live-watch reactions and then use the Samurai Jack Season 5 OT for extended thoughts and discussion. But there aren't any hard rules or anything, they can avoid the Toonami thread entirely if they want.

Mizerman

It's also kinda funny how the seiyu for Shinn Asuka prefers his SWR incarnation than the canon version. Then again, I don't blame 'em.

Crocodile

So SRW can't even be bothered to have all the characters in the same art style? Looks a bit off-putting. More cross-overs need to do what Smash Bros does and tries to unify the artstyle of all the characters.

download.png

Lone masked man declares he alone has the right to judge all humanity.

Powers that be and Newtypes uncertain in how to respond.

When pressed for a response Kira Yamato merely seemed to question "Athrun? Athrun Zala?"

cntr

Banned
So SRW can't even be bothered to have all the characters in the same art style? Looks a bit off-putting. More cross-overs need to do what Smash Bros does and tries to unify the artstyle of all the characters.
It wouldn't work without rendering a lot of characters unrecognizable, and people would complain. Besides, you barely see them outside of dialogue portraits.

The mechs are unified in style, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
download.png

Lone masked man declares he alone has the right to judge all humanity.

Powers that be and Newtypes uncertain in how to respond.

When pressed for a response Kira Yamato merely seemed to question "Athrun? Athrun Zala?"

There's actually only a few Newtypes in that timeline.

Kira is one. Mwu and Lacrusset are as well. Ray probably is being another clone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Athrun isn't considered a Newtype?

I don't think so.

He's got that Seed exploding graphic thing that some characters have that works more like a limit break but the actual ones with enhanced spatial awareness and minor telepathic abilities are Kira and the various La Flagas.

Caught up with what the last two weeks of Unicorn and I think I can sum up my thoughts on the series as such. Great animation, good music, good mech fights, completely uninterested in both the story and characters. Were it not for Parasyte, this would currently be the least interesting show I've seen on Toonami, and it is definitely the least interesting Gundam show I've currently seen.

I don't think so.

He's got that Seed exploding graphic thing that some characters have that works more like a limit break but the actual ones with enhanced spatial awareness and minor telepathic abilities are Kira and the various La Flagas.
I'm fine with this. Athrun ain't meant to be perfect and the only "newtype" with a likable personality is Mwu. At the very least he didn't have to beat up his best friend to impress the girl or still is childhood friends fiancee.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm fine with this. Athrun ain't meant to be perfect and the only "newtype" with a likable personality is Mwu. At the very least he didn't have to beat up his best friend to impress the girl or still is childhood friends fiancee.

Kira and people who use funnel weapons well in SEED are the Newtypes.

Mwu and Ray and Ray and Kira can sense the other one in SEED DESTINY, so there are four. Three are related by blood and one is supposed to be the perfect created human who probably used some DNA from their father somewhere.

I've never bought or played a Zelda game before.

I had a chance to when I purchased the bundle with Wind Waker with my Wii U but... apparently the code for it got up and disappeared the day I bought it so...

Whatever.

Moaradin

Getting Ghost in the Shell commercials now? Didn't realize how close the movie was.

Man, it looks like another bland action movie.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sigh* Please let it be at least........tolerable compared to the other anime to hollywood adaptations.

Also, a few weeks until release & still no MPAA rating?

Breads

Banned
Desynced looks sick. Amazing to see Cactus Squid's (hotline miami) aesthetic catch on. He's been at it for over a decade... decade and a half maybe by now... and now the mainstream is finally catching up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom