• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh don't get me wrong, fanboyism for ANY company is annoying. Heck, I was sort of like that when I was 8ish because I only had a SNES, but at the same time, I also had friends who had the Genesis, my babysitter who had a Playstation where I played Spyro, Crash, & rented Klonoa once when he let me take the system home with me since he was only a few doors down, & later on, a Dreamcast at my other friend's (which eventually became mine since my parents bought it off him & gave it to me as a Xmas present), but I grew out of it because during the GCN era (& ESPECIALLY Wii), I was realizing I was missing out on so much, which lead to getting a PS2 & then 360, but I also had experience playing Non-tendo stuff when I was younger so I was more willing to get out of my fanboy bubble.

If anything, despite the few stand-out members, it makes me appreciate Neogaf for having people similar to me who just want to enjoy the most games that we can get our hands on without worrying about its system. Not once did I ever see anyone go, for example, "OH MAN, WHY CAN'T NIER AUTOMATA BE ON XBOX ONE", because it seems we have a better understanding of why games don't hit certain systems.

But I've been derailing this thread for a few posts. I'll just say these last few episodes of Jojo have been great because each one has a "oh sweet, it's THIS .gif!" moment.

Also oh right, this should be the week they start the 20th anniversary & we revert back to an older style of Toonami. That should be fun.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Shenron reveals the true identity of the Super Saiyan God that Beerus has been searching for, Goten and Trunks tear it up in the junior division of the World Martial Arts Tournament, Jojo and Stroheim try to protect the Red Stone of Aja from falling into the hands of Kars, Banagher and Full Frontal face off once more amidst the ruins of Laplace, Gon and Killua do some more research on Greed Island while Kurapika meets his new boss, Hotaru's pursuers close in while Naruto's team learns more of the history of the forbidden jutsu, it's filler time as the Straw Hats get some much needed R&R on Spa Island but their vacation gets derailed when they run into a familiar face: the Silver Fox Foxy, and Motoko refreshes herself on the Laughing Man case as Section 9 closes in on the police's top suspect.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 9 - Thanks for Waiting, Lord Beerus! A Super Saiyan God Is Born At Last!
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 8 - Jack vs. Mad Jack
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 9 - Thanks for Waiting, Lord Beerus! A Super Saiyan God Is Born At Last!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 107 - Everyone Is Surprised! Goten and Trunks' Super Battle
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 19 - A Race Toward the Brink
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 9 - Retribution
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 41 - Gathering × Of × Heroes
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 148 - Heir to Darkness
2:30 - One Piece - 382 - The Slow-Slow Menace! 'Silver Fox' Foxy Returns!
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 5 - DECOY

Line_HTX

14233.gif

Wasted.

Regiruler

A new commercial for power rangers just played.

The shot with the electric sword looked cool. Maybe the movie will at least be nice visually?

cntr

Banned
I wonder what they'll do when they meet Foxy again in the manga and go "oh hey, haven't seen you since long ring long land"

Crocodile

Like I usually try not to state this in public, but the elitism mentality behind some Nintendo fans, I'm not even pointing fingers to anybody even on GAF or GAF in general is a bit of a turn off. They act like video games wouldn't exist or even be relevant today if it wasn't for Nintendo.

Technically, this is actually true - Nintendo did save the videogame industry back in the 80s, their interactions with Sony lead to the Playstation, etc.

All that being said I agree, console warriors and uber fanboys are super annoying :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jack just fought a meatball wookie and is now fighting a three eyed baboon on COCAINE.

Robot millepede and a Russian bear bot.

Technically, this is actually true - Nintendo did save the videogame industry back in the 80s, their interactions with Sony lead to the Playstation, etc.

All that being said I agree, console warriors and uber fanboys are super annoying :(
I understand this to be true, but many companies tried to get into gaming. I'm not going to sit here and wish I had a 3DO, but I thank god Sony and Nintendo's partnership collapsed and Playstation got birthed out of it. Sony doesn't have Nintedo's history, but they do have a certain amount of passion that I cannot ignore. Personally I think the industry would've stagnated without the competition. I wish Sega was still a hardware creator, but they did it to themselves.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Thanks for Waiting, Lord Beerus! A Super Saiyan God Is Born At Last!"

....& by "at last", they mean the last 2 minutes of the episode.

Also craaaap, Foxy's back. It still feels weird that Toonami started at that arc of all things instead of starting at the beginning of Water 7. I get it was basically the arc right after Skypiea, which is where Toonami was before they took the show & the block off the air, but man, imagine where we'd be right now if we didn't deal with the LRLL arc & that filler amnesia arc (though it was slightly amusing to see everyone react to each other like "WTF, WE HAVE A REINDEER AS OUR CREW!?")

What the hell is this from??!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just got through the intro to Horizon. God damn this game is well made and plays great. Very tight controls and a really slick presentation all around and this is just the intro. Oh and its incredible looking but I think that's been repeated a few million times already.

Just got through the intro to Horizon. God damn this game is well made and plays great. Very tight controls and a really slick presentation all around and this is just the intro. Oh and its incredible looking but I think that's been repeated a few million times already.
Which part of the intro? I'm enjoying this as well. It's very easy to see the amount of care and enthusiasm put into it while playing it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On One Piece and Non-Canon™ material.

Basically, we are (mostly) through with any long term non-canon™ bits. One Piece mainly stays behind the manga with going at about a one episode, one chapter pace. Captain Puzzle is the last non-canon™ large arc. What we have coming up next is a very short, fairly amusing two parter. I could detail why I like it so much but it'll make much more sense after next week's episode. Then there is a semi-canon episode about Brook fitting in with the crew. After that there is one of the best arcs of One Piece period.

The next bit of filler after this is a
Boss Luffy special.
then after that the rest of the filler is mainly movie tie ins, one in the middle of the next arc that is terrible. Then one at the end of the arc after that promoting film Z that is also pretty bad.

There's a weird two part filler at the end of the arc after that that doesn't go anywhere but isn't bad. The filler arc and special accompanying Film Gold that came out last year are both really good, in fact you could take the special, call it a One Piece movie, and it would easily rank in the top half of OP movies.

So the non-canon schedule looks like this.

The next two episodes are their own thing.
The episode after that is kinda canon, but not really.
Then a whole arc goes by.
Boss Luffy Specials
Then a short arc.
Cover stories arc part 1.
Then half of a long arc.
Strong World Filler that's awful.
The rest of that arc.
Another arc.
A short arc.
Cover stories arc part 2.
Timeskip.
A long ass arc.
Film Z filler.
A long ass arc.
Random two parter.
A really, really long ass arc.
Film Gold Filler. (And the special, but they won't air that)

Just in the last two weeks OP had some filler in the Japanese side, they went back to the well and did some more cover arcs.

That sounds like a lot of filler but is maybe...20 episodes out of the next 400?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I honestly have no clue how far I am in BotW. I know I've played it for 12 hours or so but the game could be 200 for all I know. It's like DQ 7 in that I still haven't found a real dungeon, though I know where they are roughly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Life finds a way.

Makes sense though considering they dipped a bit below 1 chapter, 1 episode this past arc in order to make some room.

I hope they do the remaining cover arcs as well, only one of them has been made irrelevant by the story already going past that character.

Moaradin

I'd rather take the occasional filler arc over how they've been doing it. Instead of filler you can safely ignore, they instead have filler that drags out canon material to stretch as little as half a chapter to an entire episode. You really start noticing all the techniques they use to do this. Lots of weird pauses and panning shots, and of course the opening + intro + recap can take like 8 minutes of the runtime by itself.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It probably won't be that long. I think their longest filler arc in the last ten years lasted a month.

Yeah, considering the story and setup, this is almost certainly another 4 episode mini arc. Might even be shorter considering how much they streeeeeeetched the content of the last few episodes, including a complete filler episode a few weeks ago and the last two that were basically like half a chapter for 2 episodes or so.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd rather take the occasional filler arc over how they've been doing it. Instead of filler you can safely ignore, they instead have filler that drags out canon material to stretch as little as half a chapter to an entire episode. You really start noticing all the techniques they use to do this. Lots of weird pauses and panning shots, and of course the opening + intro + recap can take like 8 minutes of the runtime by itself.

My least favorite bit of stretching they do is having townspeople react to every little thing in the arc before last. Like they'll be too afraid to help, then they'll be suffering, then they'll get together to fight back or help out, then they'll be afraid again. We get it. Move on.

This last arc went 3-4 episodes over the chapter count but I found the stuff they added to be pretty high quality for the most part. The last episode of it was ridiculous where they kept repeating the same damn thing about four times to add another three minutes to an episode about one event. Then they animated the shit out of the event though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's not even next week, it's in two weeks since there's some event. Either a marathon or golf, it's usually one of these.

Chase17

Filler may be more interesting the really slow pacing/recap for one piece that has been going on last couple weeks. Also buys us time before having to deal with
Pudding :)

Yeah, considering the story and setup, this is almost certainly another 4 episode mini arc. Might even be shorter considering how much they streeeeeeetched the content of the last few episodes, including a complete filler episode a few weeks ago and the last two that were basically like half a chapter for 2 episodes or so.

I hope
Pekoms
gets screen time in the filler for some reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Super Robot Wars V which got an English release in Asia. Apparently quite a bit better than the English release for The Moon Dwellers.
Ahhh, that would explain why I had no idea who the girl was. I feel like I might like SRW, though I'm not big on TRPGs unless it's something like Project X Zone where I feel like I have more input on the attacks instead of, say, Fire Emblem where it feels more luck based.

I remember wanting to try Super Robot Wars Original Generation Saga Endless Frontier, but I think that's more among Project X Zone & less with the SRW gameplay.

Raxus

Speaking of One Piece filler, Toei just announced a new filler arc starting next week lol.

It really is a good thing. We have been hitting mini arcs building up to a big finish ala Alabasta and Oda's been taking more breaks so it is probably for the best so we don't wind up with padded to hell arcs like *Minor OP spoiler*
Dressrosa
all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom