• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSun

So this week's Samurai Jack might be somewhat confusing to people who haven't seen the previous seasons, because it looks like it'll draw on quite a few previous episodes.

God I hope he shows up. The one true Samurai.

Ah it's a good thing that I binge watched all previous episodes recently.

I wasn't a fan of the show when I was a child, but after finally giving the show another chance I fecking love it.

How was I sleeping on this show for all these years I'll never know.

caliph95

dnInCOx.jpg
What trash waifus amirite toonami gaf,

they should have gotten a Hisoka and Kurapica pillows i bet the girls will be more receptive
(They would still walk away and never talk to you)

cntr

Banned
Anime is way, waaaay more niche than manga in Japan, because of its association with "otaku". (Note that calling someone an "otaku" in Japan isn't like calling them a nerd, closer to calling them a neckbeard.)

Unless you're running off a big property, you basically have to lewd it up to appeal to that otaku crowd. It's difficult to make a profit otherwise. That's also disc sets tend to be so overpriced, and why there's so many generic crap series every season. Anime is not made for the general Japanese population, and has little to do with what normal Japanese people like.

In comparison, manga is popular across all demographics and much cheaper to make, so you get a bigger variety of ideas and less forced lewding. Especially in seinen and josei. (cf. science fiction books vs. science fiction movies)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anime is way, waaaay more niche than manga in Japan, because of its association with "otaku". (Note that calling someone an "otaku" in Japan isn't like calling them a nerd, closer to calling them a neckbeard.)

Unless you're running off a big property, you basically have to lewd it up to appeal to that otaku crowd. It's difficult to make a profit otherwise. That's also disc sets tend to be so overpriced, and why there's so many generic crap series every season. Anime is not made for the general Japanese population, and has little to do with what normal Japanese people like.

In comparison, manga is popular across all demographics and much cheaper to make, so you get a bigger variety of ideas and less forced lewding. Especially in seinen and josei. (cf. science fiction books vs. science fiction movies)
For some reason, this sounds like the opposite of the US where more people will probably be familiar with the movie/tv version compared to the books/original source material. Example: Most people have seen the Marvel movies, but I'm sure a good amount (myself included) never read the original comics, & some average movie goers might consider those who did the more "nerdy" of the bunch. Or hell, for a long time, I had no idea movies like the Godfather & Jurassic Park were based on books.

& there's also the fact they try to market some blu-rays as the "uncensored" version so that way, they can convince more fans to buy the expensive sets for shows they might've already seen on tv. But everything else you said makes perfect sense/I agree with.

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdown008

"This week, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure concludes, as does Sandwhale and Me's reign of terror over DVR recordings across the nation. Also, we talk about Beerus's crushing defeat, Remember the Titans, the wendigo from Hannibal, obvious music cues, New Age flim-flammery, bullet-deflecting oil, and looting the corpses at the Alamo."

tbh after this week i think we're gonna start recording earlier if possible

cntr

Banned
It makes sense for manga to be more popular in Japan, they commute everywhere, and like Europe, don't associate comics with kids. So you have a lot of free time to read something while you're riding a bus or train, and since they're cheap to make like books, there's probably some series out there that appeals to you.

(There's a manga about daytime stock trading!)

Wow, that sucks.

On another note, I watched Boruto episode 3, and I realized that this series is actually doing what people say Naruto should have done in retrospect: it's spending episodes focusing on the side cast early on and establishing character relationships.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, that's a huge bummer. Such a great voice, condolences to his family & friends.

...meanwhile, holy crap, I really need to go back & finish Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. I suddenly had the urge to go back & watch some of the OPs and DAAMMMNNN I forgot how just unique they are (I put two of them back on my phone to listen to them). Especially since they seem to pull a Jojo & hint at future events.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
RIP Ed Blaylock. Didn't expect hearing that. Messed up that both the Japanese and English voices of Sengoku passed away, and at the same point (after Marineford but before Dressrosa)

The fixes konami is doing helped Super Bomberman R a lot. It's not gonna make my top 5 bomberman games but its still an incredibly fun entry with some clever new ideas and getting tons of free new/good content.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, I'll be missing HxH since I gotta head into work....but at least I'll catch the AoT2 premiere & Tokyo Ghoul??? Though I guess I'm glad I have the choice to head in later in the night instead of missing all of Toonami.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll definitely be missing Samurai Jack at the very least tonight, and who knows what else. Putting the DVR to work.

Tonight on Toonami, Ashi travels in search of the samurai but what she finds instead is the path of salvation that he has beaten over the past 50 years, Mr. Satan's boasting draws the attention of aliens seeking Beerus' conqueror, the Supreme Kai and Kibito lead the others in pursuit of Yamu and Spopovich and inform them of the evil wizard seeking to resurrect the ancient terror of Majin Buu, Eren and the Scouts are back and they're picking up right where they left off as the battle with Annie has left a hole in Wall Sina revealing the entombed form of a Titan as season 2 of Attack on Titan makes its English language debut, Kaneki is befriended by a ghoul named Tsukiyama, Gon's group is all about dat hustle as they continue to try to dig up cash in Yorknew City, the Nahel Argama has teamed up with the Sleeves and Full Frontal reveals his ambitions to Mineva, Naruto continues to gather energy and learn about Sage Mode, and Batou's Tachikoma goes out for a morning stroll.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 15 - Valiant Mr. Satan, Work a Miracle! A Challenge From Outer Space!
11:00 - Samurai Jack - 58 - XCVII
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 15 - Valiant Mr. Satan, Work a Miracle! A Challenge From Outer Space!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 114 - The Terrifying Secret of the Majin! The Mastermind Revealed!
12:30 - Attack on Titan - 26 - Beast Titan
1:00 - Tokyo Ghoul - 4 - Supper
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 48 - Very × Sharp × Eye
2:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 16 - The Side Co-Prosperity Sphere
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 155 - The First Challenge
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 12 - ESCAPE FROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom