• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2015 |OT| It starts with a BOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck. Didn't even check to see if there was TdF thread. Should have known...

Anwyay, about today, yeah.... Kept getting flashbacks to Mount Vontoux, 2013. As soon as I saw Contador staring into his bottle looking for more water, I knew it was all over. Bad dream, all over again. Although I think it's to be expected given the intensity of the Giro. I think his chances for the Giro-Tour double have gone up in smoke....can't imagine Oleg's reaction..

Nibali going backwards and finishing 6 minutes down was quite something and watching Fulsang gesticulate widly to Nibs to keep pedaling was hilarious. His comments afterward, however, weren't. Said Nibs has lost it in his head and now Vino has decided that Nibali is no longer the protected rider, Fulsang is, who is still a full 2 minutes behind Vincenzo... Oh what fun times for Astana!

I think the only hope now is for some epic attacks, particularly on the descents as Froome always complains about others taking them too wildly. Maybe Quintana can show something in week 3, but I doubt it. This guy has yet to prove his worth and TVG will not finish podium.

I don't understand putting the hardest climb on stage 10. Save the shit for stage 20. And right after a rest day after a TTT? No wonder dudes were popping off the back.

Still, been a great first 10 days overall.

Froome is boring, but he's the best right now.

Contador made a mistake with his Giro+Tour attemp, he should retire and prepare for la Vuelta.

Bet a lot of guys were thinking exactly that with about 5 kms of the climb! Ha.

And yeah, could not believe G. Thomas up there with Valverde, give me a break. And richie porte, there's another guy who when the pressure rises, he's nowhere to be seen. But he smirks at other riders as Froome accelerates. Can't believe he's going to run off to BMC to lead a grand tour when every chance he's had now has been filled with jour sans.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like the race might be pretty zzzZzzz unless Froome cracks. Maybe Porte will go nuts and we'll see some team drama.

But jesus, 3 Sky guys up there... gotta wonder.

Ruruja

I don't think the race is over.

Sky are going to have to defend attacks from potentially 4 of the other big riders and their teams on the 2 big climbs today, it could be quite chaotic.

stage_11_profile_670.jpg

JPKellams

I don't think the race is over.

Sky are going to have to defend attacks from potentially 4 of the other big riders and their teams on the 2 big climbs today, it could be quite chaotic.

stage_11_profile_670.jpg

Attacks coming down the Tourmalet might be interesting. Contador will go for sure, if he isn't dropped over the top. Quintana hasn't attacked full force on a descent since he crashed in the Vuelta, but if there was ever a time to repeat his Giro attack (sans neutralization controversy) this would be the time. I think Nibali is toast and knows it. Interested to see what Tejay does, or Quintana will end up in 2nd tomorrow.

Boozeroony

My guess for today's stage: little group up front get's enough room to win the stage. Voeckler looked good yesterday, so I guess he will attack today.

Today's the kind of stage where I can see the challengers try to actually make Froome uncomfortable in the descent of the Tourmalet and take some risks.

Fuck Vino, that dirty drug cheating cunt, how dare he treat Nibali like that.

I am hoping that with the pressure off Vincenzo says fuck it and just tries to ride for glory today. There is no way that arguably the best overall rider in the peleton and the second best grand tour man over the last 6-7 years is gonna play second fiddle. I especially see him going for it on that descent if he can stick with them, which is a big ask after yesterday, but hopefully his head is back in the game.

Kabouter

Fuck Vino, that dirty drug cheating cunt, how dare he treat Nibali like that.

I am hoping that with the pressure off Vincenzo says fuck it and just tries to ride for glory today. There is no way that arguably the best overall rider in the peleton and the second best grand tour man over the last 6-7 years is gonna play second fiddle. I especially see him going for it on that descent if he can stick with them, which is a big ask after yesterday, but hopefully his head is back in the game.

Honestly, my money is on Nibali having the same virus that caused Lars Boom to leave the TdF, and Vino knowing that.

Honestly, my money is on Nibali having the same virus that caused Lars Boom to leave the TdF, and Vino knowing that.

Well Vino said that Nibali "Needs a mechanic for his head" which would imply he is fine. I still can't believe that quote after Nibali's loyalty to the team.

I just don't know what was wrong with him. never have I seen him just not try to respond like that. He has obviously been dropped before in mountain stages, but it has usually been when the other elite riders have kicked on and he always had one burst to get himself back on the wheels before they went again. But yesterday was just sat in the saddle and resigned to his fate.

Could be he just couldn't do it physically, or he is just not right mentally.

yagal

Said Nibs has lost it in his head and now Vino has decided that Nibali is no longer the protected rider, Fulsang is, who is still a full 2 minutes behind Vincenzo... Oh what fun times for Astana!

:eek: poor Nibali it is more difficult when no one is injured.

kottila

Well Vino said that Nibali "Needs a mechanic for his head" which would imply he is fine. I still can't believe that quote after Nibali's loyalty to the team.

I just don't know what was wrong with him. never have I seen him just not try to respond like that. He has obviously been dropped before in mountain stages, but it has usually been when the other elite riders have kicked on and he always had one burst to get himself back on the wheels before they went again. But yesterday was just sat in the saddle and resigned to his fate.

Could be he just couldn't do it physically, or he is just not right mentally.

Or vino isn't quite up to date on modern leadershipstandars. He did after all send nibali a letter last year complaining about his results in the spring. Rumors says that the italian and kazakh camps aren't getting along that well

kottila

So meaningless. If they were doping (I really have no feelings either way) then they're hardly going to be using something that would show up on a test.

You can never prove a negative and no matter what they do, it will never be enough for the naysayers. In theory the methods could have improved and they could be anle to detect new substances, but then they wouldn't ask to retest those samples

Kabouter

When will they learn to air all mountain stages as a whole? If they want to not increase the total TV time, feel free to just cut a couple hours from flat stages.

Il canto del cigno :)

Nibali is looking good. They've crushed the peloton, damn.

i am hoping the criticism has caused a spark, or maybe he was just under the weather yesterday.

The descent should be interesting. I am surprised some of the other contenders who are shaking going downhill have yet to try and blow Nibali away on this climb.

I am hoping he can get a couple minutes back on some of the overall contenders

waypoetic

Banned
I've never understood the importance of Rigoberto Uran. Juan Alaphilippe is a better climber, he should've been picked for this years tour. Not Uran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom