• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2016 |OT| Lead-out: EUROs / Autobus: Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

teepo

so if the results were to stand, what will the be penalty for running up the hill without a bike? or will that be forgiven?

Faddy

Banned
Surely that can't stand, you're just telling fans that they should just block off riders if they want to influence the result

No evidence of fan interference yet. Plenty of incidents in the past with cars, bikes and fans and I can't remember a result being changed

Juan Antonio Flecha on Eurosport recounting how he was run of the road by a car while in a breakaway. In that incident he did not receive a protected time as he eventually rolled in way behind the peleton

Code:
dailymail.com/sport/othersports/article-2013168/TOUR-DE-FRANCE-2011-Juan-Antonio-Flecha-collides-car.html

edit. damn banned link, can't find better. copy and paste. If that isn't OK I apologise

SkylineRKR

so if the results were to stand, what will the be penalty for running up the hill without a bike? or will that be forgiven?

He did break rules I think. He should've stayed. how hard and unfair that may be.

This is going to be interesting.

Ruruja

I thought they were all together, either way I don't think the crash had anything to do with Quintana losing time.

Yeah, I was arguing he would have lost more time. The group ahead got caught in the crash, thus he only lost 7 seconds to them instead of more. Basically, it's a big mess. :p

More recently Van Avermaet was on his way to win San Sebastian, got hit by a motor and Yates eventually won. Nothing was changed.

I don't know what should be done about this.

kmag

Yeah, I was arguing he would have lost more time. The group ahead got caught in the crash, thus he only lost 7 seconds to them instead of more. Basically, it's a big mess. :p

I'm not sure it'll matter in terms of the full race no matter what they do here. Sky and Froome are clearly the strongest team. Froome should get a penalty for running the course without his bike, doesn't matter how you come off or the circumstances behind it you take your bike. It's a bike race.

Joni

But in any case, it is likely that next time the public will be behind crowd control barriers so everyone can pass fine.

But in any case, it is likely that next time the public will be behind crowd control barriers so everyone can pass fine.

It's sad that stuff like this has to happen before such measures are taken but that's probably the one positive from this incident.

I don't like Froome or Sky, but he clearly unhitched Quintana. I don't even think this matters as this will probably just provide more motivation for Froome to unleash a 120rpm attack to take back yellow.

And man... just poor Richie Porte. Always something for this dude at Grand Tours. :lol

bjaelke

Paris-Roubaix 2004. Hoste attacked on the cobblestones and a flag got stuck in his wheel and he fell. Game over.

There are certainly precedents.

But not for a yellow jersey in a multi stage tour. There are examples of "accidents" but nothing on this scale.

Joni

It's sad that stuff like this has to happen before such measures are taken but that's probably the one positive from this incident.

On the other hand, I find it sad that it has to happen. It just doesn't feel as epic. Some of the most epic moments in this sport involved people driving in a mass of spectators. it is just getting worse every time.

That's going to be really hard. It's so much road to cover and would require so many barriers.

It is really only necessary on the mountain stages, and it has been done in the past on some.

Surprised this hasn't to such a degree up the big mountains before. Crowds can get proper mental.

I know there have been the odd rider pushed off his bike. Be really interesting to see what happens, i have to say imo, this is different being in the big mountains, and i think could lend a dangerous precedent for fans to interfere.

NewDust

A shit storm surely will rise, but TDF management are really lucky they didn't gift Yates more than 9 seconds in stage 7 (it was 7s)

The results should stay as is, but Sky and Trek will argue that if they benefitted Yates, so should Froome, Mollema and Porte.

SkylineRKR

Keeping up with the Tour is just so boring now without Lance out-cheating everyone else...

I loved the dark days of the Tour. You won't see actions like Landis to Morzine anymore, or Mayo on the Ventoux.

They were all cheats, sure. But it was exciting to watch.

Faddy

Banned
But not for a yellow jersey in a multi stage tour. There are examples of "accidents" but nothing on this scale.

You can't have a two tier rule book. Does anyone have any examples of any rider at any race getting a protected time due to an incident that did not occur in the last 3km?

Faddy

Banned
Haven't seen that, but apparently his mechanic is saying they don;t know where his old bike is post accident.

The bike was probably stolen when Froome dumped it and ran up the mountain. I don't know how Sky can complain about a missing bike when the only reason it is gone is because Froome was cheating.

I know people are saying fans are the problem, but there is also too many damn motorbikes out there. There was the lead, the support and another in that pile up.

Post me a link if you at some point find one, on Eurosport the only thing I saw was Froome's bike lying next to the crowd with him running off like 10m further up the climb.

He did place it down; i think i misread the OP intentions, i thought he was saying Chris said he had to run because someone stole his bike.

teepo

to be fair, froome was in the midst of climbing the final km of a fairly steep mountain. adrenaline and fatigue can cause some serious disorientation

there is a good chance he did think his bike was stolen as well as a chance that he thought he was even riding or at the very least running with his bike

bjaelke

You can't have a two tier rule book. Does anyone have any examples of any rider at any race getting a protected time due to an incident that did not occur in the last 3km?

Problem is that the ruling isn't that clear. That's also explains why we haven't heard anything from ASO yet.

I loved the dark days of the Tour. You won't see actions like Landis to Morzine anymore, or Mayo on the Ventoux.

They were all cheats, sure. But it was exciting to watch.

I love how there still isn't a "real" winner for Lance's Tours because EVERYONE in the top 10 spots was doping in some way.

Cub3h

Banned
I know people are saying fans are the problem, but there is also too many damn motorbikes out there. There was the lead, the support and another in that pile up.

Apart from the motorbike that does the TV shots, what are all these other bikes doing? That streamable clip shows like 3 bikes trying to plow through the tiny gap in the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom