• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2016 |OT| Lead-out: EUROs / Autobus: Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't have a two tier rule book. Does anyone have any examples of any rider at any race getting a protected time due to an incident that did not occur in the last 3km?

What was the KM counter at when it happened?

I'm not sure whether it was down to everything that was happening, but it seemed pretty close to the finish. Froome picked up his second Sky bike at 400M. I think they were inside the 3K barrier, he couldn't have ran that far in so short a time.

bjaelke

CnVhggVWEAEXMXL.jpg:large

eFKac

Froome was just foreshadowing his Triathlon career after cycling.

Some will say it's further proof that he's Lance.

I'm not sure whether it was down to everything that was happening, but it seemed pretty close to the finish. Froome picked up his second Sky bike at 400M. I think they were inside the 3K barrier, he couldn't have ran that far in so short a time.

3 km rule is only for flat stages

seanoff

if ASO let that stand Sky will abandon the race entirely. BMC might pull out as well.

these motos are now starting to effect the results of the races.

It cant happen. they have to take the time gaps at the point of that crash and anything after that is void.

i dont even like sky or froome. but that cant happen

3km rule doesn't apply on mountain finishes.

Froome says on twitter he is still in yellow.

This is bizarre.

eFKac

How would you neutralise it? Does Froome get the same time as Porte or Quintana

What did they do on the stage where the sponsorship banner has fallen down?

Did they implement the 3km rule or did everyone get the time that they had on the spot of the banner?

Broken frame of Froome's bike.

CnVhp7vXEAAeqMa.jpg

So Froome still in yellow... but I wonder what the times are.

But is he saying that because there still isn't a decision or because there is one?

Did they implement the 3km rule or did everyone get the time that they had on the spot of the banner?

I think that was the 1km banner and it was a flat finish so 3km rule applies.

NewDust

Everyone got the same time... Except Yates, he gained 7 seconds.

They took times from 3km.

I think common sense as prevailed here.

Know some people won't like it, but it was a dangerous situation. Could lead to further fan carnage, riders who took advantage or yellow wouldn;t have wanted to gain from that.

quintana should be thankful for that ruling, he was toast. maybe he'll claw back time after he's down 5 minutes in week 3........

NewDust

So what is Froome's punishment for running up the mountain without his bike? lol

If they took the times from when the crash happened, does it really matter? Though I'm still not sure to what the times are neutralized. Mollema is fucked either way and quintana/Froome biggest beneficiaries.

I think the rule is that you have to cross the finish with a bike.

According to Thijs Zonneveld (Dutch former cyclist and journalist) you are not allowed to cover any terrain without a bike. So Froome should have waited for a new bike before continuing.

I don't know if you actually have to be cycling or if you can carry your bike but you have to at least have your bike with you I think.

Anyway ASO has always applied its own rules very selectively with a lot of exceptions so nothing will come from it.

Joni

Apart from the motorbike that does the TV shots, what are all these other bikes doing? That streamable clip shows like 3 bikes trying to plow through the tiny gap in the crowd.
The motor bikes have certain functions:
- Transporting people to mark dangers on the road, like roundabouts.
- Television motors, multiple ones often. A couple of days you clearly noticed they lost a couple, as they only had two 'shots' for the race.
- Journalist motors, to take pictures. They should go.
- Refreshment motors, to carry water for those that need it. That one worked overtime yesterday.
- Motors for the people that show how much time is between the groups.
- Police motors to keep the road clear.

That plainly sucks. He already got a motor assist twice this Tour, according to Lefevre. And now he is the only one to get a bonus. Should have completely neutralized the climb.

If youre going to have 10 motorbikes going up, have them riding on the side to make the gap bigger.

I may be over thinking this, but I can't imagine breathing conditions in something that tight is great either.

Joni

If youre going to have 10 motorbikes going up, have them riding on the side to make the gap bigger.

I may be over thinking this, but I can't imagine breathing conditions in something that tight is great either.

They actually try that. It is the audience bringing them closer and closer.

teepo

sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to express concerns over terrorism, but these thoughts have been running through my head especially with the government urging everybody to stay indoors.

i had noticed the armed security forces for the first time during froome's epic triathlon run and a quick google search shows france has deployed 23,000 armed troops as well as a fleet of armed helicopters patrolling the routes, a first for the tour and despite that they still can't regulate roadside fans. this instills very little faith in me that the troops will be able to thwart a terrorist attack.

the tour is just too easy of a target and this realization is absolutely terrifying and the last thing this world needs is another munich, let alone another attack of any kind anywhere. i'm sure riders and team managers have a lot to discuss moving forward. as little as i would want to see it, i wouldn't blame anyone from withdrawing.

Joni

sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to express concerns over terrorism, but these thoughts have been running through my head especially with the government urging everybody to stay indoors.

i had noticed the armed security forces for the first time during froome's epic triathlon run and a quick google search shows france has deployed 23,000 armed troops as well as a fleet of armed helicopters patrolling the routes, a first for the tour and despite that they still can't regulate roadside fans. this instills very little faith in me that the troops will be able to thwart a terrorist attack.

the tour is just too easy of a target and this realization is absolutely terrifying and the last thing this world needs is another munich, let alone another attack of any kind anywhere. i'm sure riders and team managers have a lot to discuss moving forward. as little as i would want to see it, i wouldn't blame anyone from withdrawing.

It is indeed a huge potential problem, the attack on Nice could easily have happened in Tour with an even deadlier outcome. There is at least one 'but' in there, these armed troops weren't actually trying to regulate fans. They aren't looking at people coming too close to the riders. Compared to the football championship where they had fire crackers, bengal fire, managed to get on the pitch despite even more protection there.

bjaelke

It's definitely a discussion worth having (Nice is just 300 kilometres from today's ITT). Unfortunately it's close to impossible to have full control with over 12 million spectators along the route - even if they take extra precautions. Their main focus is to act on any intel they might have acquired beforehand and to assist if god forbid something were to happen. They're not there to control the drunk guys in costumes running alongside the riders.

Friday's stage of the Tour de France will go ahead with extra security after Thursday's attack in Nice

---

The first of two individual time trials has just started.

CnZE4JNXgAAoPi3.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom