• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just find it baffling who all these people thinking positively of Theresa may are? I can understand not being a massive fan of corbyn (though I find most people's opinions of him come from either right wing media or just "I don't like him" rather than based on policy or principles) but I don't personally see what positives you can take from Theresa may? She isn't corbyn?

What I find baffling is people professing hate for Theresa May for no apparent reason except that she's a Conservative.

Look at the positives: she's tough (surviving six years in the Home Office is sufficient evidence of that), she keeps her own counsel (nearly nobody saw that general election coming), she's pragmatic (e.g. stomping on the self-employed NI thing).

That's the sort of thing you want in a PM isn't it?

What constituency?

Weston-super-Mare. Mike Bell is a good guy.

I don't think that's it - it's because she's the one going through with leaving the EU, which means Brexit voters are massively in favour of her. The polling data shows that she is unpopular amongst remainers, but very popular amongst leavers.

Depends how the polls are conducted and the types who they attract. I've seen and heard from remainers something different.

PJV3

What I find baffling is people professing hate for Theresa May for no apparent reason except that she's a Conservative.

Look at the positives: she's tough (surviving six years in the Home Office is sufficient evidence of that), she keeps her own counsel (nearly nobody saw that general election coming), she's pragmatic (e.g. stomping on the self-employed NI thing).

She's an authoritarian for a kick off, her statements about people who see themselves as global citizens was horrible from my point of view.

And you almost needed to be killing babies for Cameron to sack you, I'm not going to call her the devil just yet, but I'm pretty suspicious of her.

One of our local constituencies is Enfield Southgate, which is going to be a target of Open Brittain et al as they attempt to dethrone the Tory Brexiteer there.

Southgate should be a surprisingly interesting contest.

Uzzy

Not at all surprised. Corbyn knows he can't win an election personally, but thinks a more charismatic candidate with the same beliefs but less historical baggage might - if only they could make the internal ballot. So t's his duty to stay until the balloting procedure/party composition can be reformed.

There's been a lot of talk about just unanimously endorsing Yvette Cooper for leader after Corbyn steps down, in a bid to prevent anyone else having a say. No wonder that Corbyn wants to see a change to the procedures.

theaface

No apparent reason? Come on bud.

- Snooper's charter
- General attitude towards human rights
- General attitude towards immigrants
- Hard Brexit
- Sneering jibes at the opposition at PMQs, instead of answering questions on policy. Slippery and evasive.
- "If you believe you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere"
- All talk and no action - what is it exactly that she's doing to make this "a fairer society that works for everybody"? Words are cheap

You see tough, I see someone whi manoeuvres to placate the press and her backbenchers so that she remains liked. You see pragmatic, I see opportunism.

Also, you have her personality and demeanour (which is a factor). I see a person who exudes no warmth and no empathy. The grimacing face at the sit-down with the school kids is the go-to example of this. Policies should come before personalities of course, but she is our leader on the world stage and her likability factor matters.

I don't believe her for a second that she genuinely wants to make the country a more prosperous place for all. If she did and she was as pragmatic as you say, she wouldn't be ploughing on full steam ahead with the most self-harming version of Brexit in the face of irrefutable evidence that it will leave people and the country worse off.

Lastly, she's a Conservative. ;-)

Moze

Banned

Ignoring policy because that is subjective, she tends to be very robotic and scripted, often using buzzwords/phrases and insults that don't make a whole lot of sense. She just doesn't come across as a very comfortable speaker at all. All abit too safe.

PizzaFace

Banned

What's baffling about that? She's a politician, lots of people hate the conservatives for good reasons, and she's the head of the conservative party.

I can't fucking stand her, and that's mostly because she's a conservative, but there are other reasons which posters above have explained.

JimiNutz

Banned
One of our local constituencies is Enfield Southgate, which is going to be a target of Open Brittain et al as they attempt to dethrone the Tory Brexiteer there.

Southgate should be a surprisingly interesting contest.

I have just moved to Southgate (6 months ago). Must make sure I can be registered to vote here.

TimmmV

That's the sort of thing you want in a PM isn't it?.

None of those things are positive if you disagree with the PMs policies

Whilst I'm perfectly for tactical voting
when it's a bar chart on a leaflet telling third party voters that it's a two horse race between Lib Dems and the main party
I'm personally not for just asking people to vote for MPs who will vote in parliament for a "good deal".

Because three-line whips exist, and because Jeremy Corbyn exists.

I am OK with him getting grilled, because he's probably the best party leader (on the left - May is alright one-on-one) at interviews. He knows his stuff, but he also is able to keep on message.

This is to me why the homosexuality came up. The media have *no* scandal to talk about with him, so they came up with a gotcha religious question. The alternative was presenting their readers with "here's the boring Lib Dems and their boring leader" - which at the end of the day isn't impartial. Making everything big news is modern politics and the media, even if it's really fake news.

My problem is knowing people will fall for this crap. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks I guess.

Rodelero

I mean, you may feel those are positives... but just focusing on the "she keeps her own counsel" 'positive': -

The fact nobody saw the election coming is because she, and her spokespeople, repeatedly stated there would be no election. It did, admittedly, seem quite hard to believe, given how opportunistic she tends to be, and given how obviously beneficial it would be to her, and her party. The fact she had not called an election was, believe it or not, one of the only things I used to give her credit for. Yet, even I, who was someone sceptical about her continual claims that there would not be an election was surprised when she decided to call one after having triggered Article 50, given that it essentially put Brexit on pause while the timer still ticks down, and despite there being no obvious event that precipitated her change of mind.

Theresa May strikes me as a politician that puts power and party above quite literally everything else. The fact she hadn't called an election was the one thing that held me back from that conclusion. It was the one thing that gave me reason to doubt that she was completely self interested. Alas, lesson learned.

kmag

Weston-super-Mare. Mike Bell is a good guy.

Competency is nice. I didn't see much of that from her at the home office. Surviving six years at the home office wasn't much of a feat given just call me Dave rarely sacked folk

No apparent reason? Come on bud.

- Snooper's charter
- General attitude towards human rights
- General attitude towards immigrants
- Hard Brexit
- Sneering jibes at the opposition at PMQs, instead of answering questions on policy. Slippery and evasive.
- "If you believe you're a citizen of the world, you're a citizen of nowhere"
- All talk and no action - what is it exactly that she's doing to make this "a fairer society that works for everybody"? Words are cheap

You see tough, I see someone whi manoeuvres to placate the press and her backbenchers so that she remains liked. You see pragmatic, I see opportunism.

Also, you have her personality and demeanour (which is a factor). I see a person who exudes no warmth and no empathy. The grimacing face at the sit-down with the school kids is the go-to example of this. Policies should come before personalities of course, but she is our leader on the world stage and her likability factor matters.

I don't believe her for a second that she genuinely wants to make the country a more prosperous place for all. If she did and she was as pragmatic as you say, she wouldn't be ploughing on full steam ahead with the most self-harming version of Brexit in the face of irrefutable evidence that it will leave people and the country worse off.

Lastly, she's a Conservative. ;-)

But that's the best part of PMQs!

"Even on rolling stock, you're a laughing stock", classic line :-D

Edit:

None of those things are positive if you disagree with the PMs policies

Soooooo.....wouldn't May's popularity rating indicate that most people agree with her policies?

2MF

They don't care because that sort of lifestyle is completely out of the question for them. It's not possible for a good majority of working class people.

Why? If European people who aren't rich can come live in the UK, why can't British people who aren't rich go live elsewhere in Europe?

In many cases they wouldn't even have to learn another language...

Winters

Banned
Not only I am worried about the NHS but also the BBC if the Tories win big. How depressing.

So will the Beeb make it's centenary? I very much doubt the NHS will. Cunts.

I mean, you may feel those are positives... but just focusing on the "she keeps her own counsel" 'positive': -

The fact nobody saw the election coming is because she, and her spokespeople, repeatedly stated there would be no election. It did, admittedly, seem quite hard to believe, given how opportunistic she tends to be, and given how obviously beneficial it would be to her, and her party. The fact she had not called an election was, believe it or not, one of the only things I used to give her credit for. Yet, even I, who was someone sceptical about her continual claims that there would not be an election was surprised when she decided to call one after having triggered Article 50, given that it essentially put Brexit on pause while the timer still ticks down, and despite there being no obvious event that precipitated her change of mind.

Theresa May strikes me as a politician that puts power and party above quite literally everything else. The fact she hadn't called an election was the one thing that held me back from that conclusion. It was the one thing that gave me reason to doubt that she was completely self interested. Alas, lesson learned.

I actually was not surprised to see an election. The EU talks were already said to start in June. It's the last time such an election can take place and gives the whole process some accountability, instead of being someone unelected into power and doing the dirty job mostly on her own back. I would like the backing of the vote to say yes go ahead with your way and I'm sure May is no different.

One of the accusations was she wasn't elected.

Rodelero

I actually was not surprised to see an election. The EU talks were already said to start in June. It's the last time such an election can take place and gives the whole process some accountability, instead of being someone unelected into power and doing the dirty job mostly on her own back. I would like the backing of the vote to say yes go ahead with your way and I'm sure May is no different.

Yet every single one of those reasons existed back in the Summer of 2016. What actually changed? The polls did. While Theresa May said, over and over, that there would be no election, every one of those reasons existed. It's very hard to construe it as anything other than the Prime Minister lying to the public's face.

Frankly, has Theresa May not shown, again and again, that she doesn't see much value in honesty?

PJV3

That side never bothered me much, there was a referendum, she's carrying it out. The only thing I suppose is it backs her hard brexit language.

But she knew she had support for that anyway and the labour party wasn't standing in her way.

Winters

Banned
answer the question you old....

tumblr_m19pb9lcCu1qfnnjfo6_r1_400.gif

PizzaFace

Banned
Watching PMQs

"Baffling is people professing hate for Theresa May for no apparent reason "

"Baffling"

"BAFFLING"

What a fucking ghoul she is

Yet every single one of those reasons existed back in the Summer of 2016. What actually changed? The polls did.

Labour have been in disarray for a long time. They also had a leader election not long after Brexit with people embarrassing him in his own to go. Could argue labour are in a better position than before and at one time weren't even in a position to go ahead with a snap election. Not seeing one over Christmas and then we have A50 to be triggered.

Winters

Banned
Labour have been in disarray for along time. They also had a leader election not long after Brexit with people embarrassing him in his own to go. Could argue labour are in a better position than before and at one time weren't even in a position to go ahead with a snap election. Not seeing one over Christmas and then we have A50 to be triggered.

Blair killed the Labour party. Brown tried to save it. If only John Smith never died what would have been?

theaface

But that's the best part of PMQs!

"Even on rolling stock, you're a laughing stock", classic line :-D

Nothing wrong with a bit of political banter IF it's an addition to actual policies and answers of substance, rather than instead of. May's PMQs just plays out like a juvenile circus where she makes sneering shots at Corbyn to the delight of the monkeys guffawing on the backbenchers. It does her credibility no favours in my eyes, and certainly does the credibility of parliament no favours in the eyes of anyone looking on.

Corbyn: "What are you going to do about Issue X?"
May: "Well I'm not going to make a mess of Issue X like my right honourable gentleman would do if he was in power! He can't even lead his own party!"
Tories: "LOL"
Stupid electorate: "Brutal, savage, rekt, etc."
Savvy electorate: "So what about Issue X? I've learnt nothing of value."

PJV3

Theresa is so beatable(not the violence kind) scripted and stiff, shame we couldn't have someone in place to do it.

There's just too many open goals for her to score in.

Winters

Banned
Theresa is so beatable(not the violence kind) scripted and stiff, shame we couldn't have someone in place to do it.

There's just too many open goals for her to score in.

That's why Labour need to keep beating the drum that she is scared of a one on one TV debate with Corbyn. It's one of the big plays Labour can make to try and make her majority smaller.

That's why Labour need to keep beating the drum that she is scared of a one on one TV debate with Corbyn. It's one of the big plays Labour can make to try and make her majority smaller.

Corbyn would be ripped into tiny pieces by May.

It should be a three-way debate between the three relevant UK-wide parties: Farron, May and Corbyn.

PJV3

The country is in maximum patriotic mode, he will be grilled about the IRA, Iran, nukes he will buy but won't use etc.

Then they can ask about the PLP stuff, it wouldn't be pretty, It depends how it would be done I suppose.

Uzzy

I think you are giving May too much credit. She would really struggle in any sort of debate.

You could replace May with a box of pre-recorded soundbites. She uses them to defect any criticism or attack, and somehow comes out looking good at the end.

Jezbollah

She can barely even answer direct questions at PMQs. It's really no surprise she immediately came out and said no debates.

To be honest Prime Ministers Questions is long overdue a rename to Prime Minister Displaying The Subtle Art Of Deflection. Decades overdue, in fact

PJV3

To be honest Prime Ministers Questions is long overdue a rename to Prime Minister Displaying The Subtle Art Of Deflection. Decades overdue, in fact

I thought it was about getting your scripted one liner in for the news cycle.

Uzzy

Or just scrap it. It's an irrelevant farce that does nothing in service of achieving it's stated goals, namely holding the Prime Minister to account. The various Parliamentary committees achieve that far better anytime they call up the PM.

Nothing wrong with a bit of political banter IF it's an addition to actual policies and answers of substance, rather than instead of. May's PMQs just plays out like a juvenile circus where she makes sneering shots at Corbyn to the delight of the monkeys guffawing on the backbenchers. It does her credibility no favours in my eyes, and certainly does the credibility of parliament no favours in the eyes of anyone looking on.

Corbyn: "What are you going to do about Issue X?"
May: "Well I'm not going to make a mess of Issue X like my right honourable gentleman would do if he was in power! He can't even lead his own party!"
Tories: "LOL"
Stupid electorate: "Brutal, savage, rekt, etc."
Savvy electorate: "So what about Issue X? I've learnt nothing of value."

I wouldn't expect Savvy electorate to make such a rudimentary mistake as watching PMQs to learn about issues.

PJV3

Or just scrap it. It's an irrelevant farce that does nothing in service of achieving it's stated goals, namely holding the Prime Minister to account. The various Parliamentary committees achieve that far better anytime they call up the PM.

What would we do without questions from the same side of the house about how amazing the leader is. Or would you, oh amazing leader come and visit my town and tour the ladle factory.

StayDead

She can barely even answer direct questions at PMQs. It's really no surprise she immediately came out and said no debates.

Exactly, she's got no chance in a debate which is why she's avoiding it. Half the time she doesn't even know what she's going to say or what she actually believes. It's all either scripted or repeating sentences which amount to nothing.

Just see everything she's ever said about Brexit. She has 10 minute discussions and just avoids the question the whole way while never actually answering anything.

Jackpot

Banned
Corbyn would be ripped into tiny pieces by May.

It should be a three-way debate between the three relevant UK-wide parties: Farron, May and Corbyn.

I imagine she would be well-coached, but May's defining flaw is that she stands for nothing. The whole reason she's PM is because she never took a position on anything important. All her answers and speeches say nothing.

I imagine she would be well-coached, but May's defining flaw is that she stands for nothing. The whole reason she's PM is because she never took a position on anything important. All her answers and speeches say nothing.

She would still, regardless, rip Corbyn into tiny pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom