• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Pfft, well you can't really take what a seve-

g0hLiZA.jpg

Oh.

Huh.
Lol the school photo op where her mouth is twisted into something best described as soul eating is a good one too.

PJV3

Lol the school photo op where her mouth is twisted into something best described as soul eating is a good one too.

What about the one where she's standing in front of the flag looking like she's holding in a poo?.

This stuff works on the average Tory voter.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I also disagree. It was probably right for Corbyn to skip the debates. Nobody is really oscillating between "do I vote Conservative or do I vote Labour"; this is such a politicised time there's no ground to be made on that. A lot of people are oscillating between "do I vote Labour or do I vote Liberal Democrat" - Corbyn's real task is to stem Labour bleeding by trying to at the very least stop the Liberal Democrats dividing the vote any further. The same principle applies to the SNP, PC, the Greens, and so on - they're all out to get Labour's vote. None of them are really appealing to Conservative voters. That means Corbyn appearing in a debate with them is like jumping into a piranha tank. Realistically, everyone there is out to get him. They don't care about May.

This is a more general problem with the British left. The incentive is for them to each attack each other. The SNP did much better by cannibalising Labour than trying to persuade people not to vote Tory.

It's a problem with the Left everywhere. They waste time infighting. See- Canada having 10 years of Harper because there are 2 viable centrist/centre-left parties who spend time beating each other up.

I also disagree. It was probably right for Corbyn to skip the debates. Nobody is really oscillating between "do I vote Conservative or do I vote Labour"; this is such a politicised time there's no ground to be made on that. A lot of people are oscillating between "do I vote Labour or do I vote Liberal Democrat" - Corbyn's real task is to stem Labour bleeding by trying to at the very least stop the Liberal Democrats dividing the vote any further. The same principle applies to the SNP, PC, the Greens, and so on - they're all out to get Labour's vote. None of them are really appealing to Conservative voters. That means Corbyn appearing in a debate with them is like jumping into a piranha tank. Realistically, everyone there is out to get him. They don't care about May.

This is a more general problem with the British left. The incentive is for them to each attack each other. The SNP did much better by cannibalising Labour than trying to persuade people not to vote Tory.

Yep, there's a graphic in this Standard article posted earlier in the thread that really spells it out:

Cfzz0YD.png

Tory voters have already made up their mind to definitely vote Tory. Well, 78% of them at least.

Labour / Lib Dems are the ditherers, they might change their mind. But at the current polling rates for each party, that's not going to do much to May's stonking victory.

I also disagree. It was probably right for Corbyn to skip the debates. Nobody is really oscillating between "do I vote Conservative or do I vote Labour"; this is such a politicised time there's no ground to be made on that.

I mean

OK

Isn't the fact that nobody's oscillating between voting Conservative or Labour KIND OF THE BIG PROBLEM

Acorn

I still think Corbyn should take the opportunity to make this election campaign solely about inflicting wounds on May's inadequacies so the next actually electable labour leader can throw salt in them.

It's the only possible way he can serve any sort of purpose, he has lost. Give her a kicking while going down.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean

OK

Isn't the fact that nobody's oscillating between voting Conservative or Labour KIND OF THE BIG PROBLEM

It is, yes. But we were talking about what is best for Corbyn from his perspective, and what's best for him is definitely not to enter this debate.

I agree that from the perspective of everyone else, the best possible thing that could happen is every single Liberal Democrat member simultaneously resigning from the Liberal Democrats and joining Labour to vote for a compromise Labour leadership candidate.

I mean

OK

It is, but it's not a problem that's going to be solved by featuring in a debate where every other attendee is going to be unified in attacking you. Especially the Lib Dems, who gain just as much from Labour dropping seats to the Conservatives as they would from gaining Tory seats themselves.

Mr. Sam

It would be easier to rake at May and redress the balance somewhat if she was actually there. Empty chairing is more damaging than just not mentioning her, but not by much.

PJV3

It is, yes. But we were talking about what is best for Corbyn from his perspective, and what's best for him is definitely not to enter this debate.

I agree that from the perspective of everyone else, the best possible thing that could happen is every single Liberal Democrat member simultaneously resigning from the Liberal Democrats and joining Labour to vote for a compromise Labour leadership candidate.

Well he had better improve on his referendum campaign, he was doing all sorts and still looked invisible, using the media isn't his strong point as it is.

Acorn

Well he had better improve on his referendum campaign, he was doing all sorts and still looked invisible, using the media isn't his strong point as it is.
There were a few leftyish journos noting that what took the lib dem press team an hour to respond to could take overnight for Labours press team.

Edit on Twitter a few weeks ago.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yep, there's a graphic in this Standard article posted earlier in the thread that really spells it out:

Cfzz0YD.png

Tory voters have already made up their mind to definitely vote Tory. Well, 78% of them at least.

Labour / Lib Dems are the ditherers, they might change their mind. But at the current polling rates for each party, that's not going to do much to May's stonking victory.

You have to remember 20% of the Tory vote is 10% of the country at this point, and Labour should be the only way those people are leaning. Makes no sense not to talk directly to them.

The "I like Corbyn But..." website has been taken down, presumably because someone from Labour sent screaming and crying face emojis to the webmaster.

If Corbyn goes into a debate without May, they will all be against him. It is pretty obvious and reasonable why he isn't doing it.

That's basically why May isn't going to turn up- they'd all be against her. Corbyn though is disastrously behind in the polls and needs a game-changer, slinking away from the debates isn't it.

Uzzy

That's basically why May isn't going to turn up- they'd all be against her. Corbyn though is disastrously behind in the polls and needs a game-changer, slinking away from the debates isn't it.

Spending an hour getting attacked by the SNP and the Lib Dems isn't a game changer either. He'd be better off knocking on doors.

All that'll happen is Farron will spend an hour talking about Labour's Brexit policy in order to maybe get to double figures in MP's this election.

Spending an hour getting attacked by the SNP and the Lib Dems isn't a game changer either. He'd be better off knocking on doors.

All that'll happen is Farron will spend an hour talking about Labour's Brexit policy in order to maybe get to double figures in MP's this election.

Trying to play it safe when you're over twenty points behind is crazy.

I think Corbyn is a fool to pull out of the debate. He's losing because no one has a clue what he stands for and believes the general narrative that he lacks leadership qualities.
If he can't even stand up to Farron and Sturgeon then... why would I trust him with the serious business of negotiating with world leaders.

Beside, I think Farron and Sturgeon would direct most of their ire towards the empty chair of May. It's easier to attack the government for their actual mistakes compared to attacking the opposition for potential alt-future mistakes and it's much easier to attack someone who isn't there to defend themselves.

Instead, Farron and Sturgeon will never let anyone forget that the leaders of the two main parties are too cowardly to face their electorate on live TV.

Bleepey

It's a problem with the Left everywhere. They waste time infighting. See- Canada having 10 years of Harper because there are 2 viable centrist/centre-left parties who spend time beating each other up.
You'd think the left would work together. Corbyn could attract the leave voters who don't wanna vote Tory cos they like the NHS and public services, the lib dems the remainer and keeping the UK United, the SNP could argue for a second referendum and keeping Scotland in the EU. Together they could stop May by saying May doesn't want to defend her actions and she has a proven record of not knowing what go do that about Brexit and expose lies like the bus or how leaving the single market wasn't part of leavers plans, Lib Dems can talk about how can you expect the party of austerity to make up for EU funding shortfalls especially when they are planning to lower taxes, Sturgeon can argue the Scottish case, but alas Corbyn is an idiot.

Moze

Banned
Has there been any talk about two major parties doing what they done last time instead of debates? A grilling from Paxman and some audience questions is certainly better than nothing.

Deutsche Bank says it could cut up to 4000 jobs in the UK

Has May or anyone else said a thing or two about how they want to keep these jobs in her plan or are they just ignoring the elephant in the room?

"If Corbyn and his coalition of chaos were in government it could be 40,000 jobs! Only the conservative party can deliver the stable and secure government required to keep job losses in the thousands."

someone gimme a job at Conservative HQ.

"If Corbyn and his coalition of chaos were in government it could be 40,000 jobs! Only the conservative party can deliver the stable and secure government required to keep job losses in the thousands."

Would love to, but those jobs are being taken by Europe too.

theaface

Fuck, that sounds frighteningly close to a real quote. Over the past year in British politics, we've truly crossed the line where reality and satire meet.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Made my mind up.

I shall be voting Conservative.

I shall be campaigning reasonably even-handedly for Conservative and Liberal Democrat - with the aim of turning UKIP and Labour voters into votes that count locally and make sense nationally.

It'll be an interesting race here. If enough Labour voters switch, Libdems could take the seat with a bit to spare.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Made my mind up.

I shall be campaigning reasonably even-handedly for Conservative and Liberal Democrat - with the aim of turning UKIP and Labour voters into votes that count locally and make sense nationally.

It'll be an interesting race here. If enough Labour voters switch, Libdems could take the seat with a bit to spare.
England.

Just saying, most British political figures over 50 look like they could be the bad guy in a Disney animated movie. May isnt particularly unique there.

Made my mind up.

So you're gonna help out a party you're not gonna vote for? Why's that?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

England?

So you're gonna help out a party you're not gonna vote for? Why's that?

Whyever not? Seems perfectly sane to me. Both Conservatives and LibDems have good, respected, pragmatic local candidates, are likely to have manifestos that are appropriate to the rather bizarre circumstances we are in, and are capable of winning the seat. My ideal outcome post-election is for a Tory government with a LibDem opposition. Not everybody I talk to will be persuadably Tory or Libdem but probably most of them will be persuadable to one or the other. UKIP is a nonsense party, and Labour has gone totally off the rails with all these pledges and promises that it has not a hope of ever seeing implemented, plus Corbyn is seen here (as I gather elsewhere) as a useless plonker that people don't want to vote for.

Besides which, it is an interesting personal challenge!

LDs are preferable to Labour and convincing floating left voters to vote LD is easier than convincing them to vote Tory, I'd imagine.

Yeah, Cyclops said it already in less fewer words.

PJV3

England?

Whyever not? Seems perfectly sane to me. Both Conservatives and LibDems have good, respected, pragmatic local candidates, are likely to have manifestos that are appropriate to the rather bizarre circumstances we are in, and are capable of winning the seat. My ideal outcome post-election is for a Tory government with a LibDem opposition. Not everybody I talk to will be persuadably Tory or Libdem but probably most of them will be persuadable to one or the other. UKIP is a nonsense party, and Labour has gone totally off the rails with all these pledges and promises that it has not a hope of ever seeing implemented, plus Corbyn is seen here (as I gather elsewhere) as a useless plonker that people don't want to vote for.

I think they mean if you wanted Tory government and Lib opposition you would vote libdem yourself, the Tories have definitely got the first bit sorted.

You have been considering the libdems and even said the candidate was good.

England?

Fancy way of saying you want to destroy Labour ;) Be interesting to see how it goes for you. Though don't mind me hoping for a backfire with a Lib dem majority!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom