• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
England?

Whyever not? Seems perfectly sane to me. Both Conservatives and LibDems have good, respected, pragmatic local candidates, are likely to have manifestos that are appropriate to the rather bizarre circumstances we are in, and are capable of winning the seat. My ideal outcome post-election is for a Tory government with a LibDem opposition. Not everybody I talk to will be persuadably Tory or Libdem but probably most of them will be persuadable to one or the other. UKIP is a nonsense party, and Labour has gone totally off the rails with all these pledges and promises that it has not a hope of ever seeing implemented, plus Corbyn is seen here (as I gather elsewhere) as a useless plonker that people don't want to vote for.

Besides which, it is an interesting personal challenge!

A Lib Dem government would be even better. Mildly centre-right economic policies with a social conscience. I can only dream. Don't know why moderate Labour and Tory voters don't go Lib Dem. Whoever promises to stay in the single market has my vote, as pointless as it is now. I'll help send a message, I guess. Don't know why people even bother voting for Corbyn's Labour anymore. If he stays on all centrist Labour MPs should just mass defect to Lib Dems.

I see the relentless, excessive use of the word 'stability' is enough for people to vote Tory then.

Anyone care to explain what the Tories have done in the past seven years or so that make them appealing? Because unless you're incredibly wealthy I can''t see the appeal.

Not sure if this has been posted yet: https://twitter.com/TMayCasebooks

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fancy way of saying you want to destroy Labour ;) Be interesting to see how it goes for you. Though don't mind me hoping for a backfire with a Lib dem majority!

In this constituency it is probably more about destroying the remaining UKIP vote. So far as I can tell the Labour vote is long gone - at least it has gone from Labour, but there's a lot of people around not sure where to put it.

I wouldn't mind in the least if Libs win the seat. I wouldn't mind all that much if they took a Parliamentary majority, though the chances of that are very remote and it's probably a step too far for them right now.

Don't know why moderate Labour and Tory voters don't go Lib Dem.

I think it is mostly because they are too small to be credible (small as in Parliamentary seats). I could certainly see that happening say two Parliaments down the line depending how this whole Brexit thing pans out and what Labour does next (which is bound to be stupid).

In this constituency it is probably more about destroying the remaining UKIP vote. So far as I can tell the Labour vote is long gone - at least it has gone from Labour, but there's a lot of people around not sure where to put it.

I wouldn't mind in the least if Libs win the seat. I wouldn't mind all that much if they took a Parliamentary majority, though the chances of that are very remote and it's probably a step too far for them right now.

Oh totally, it'd incredible if they end up becoming the opposition (that isn't happening).

It's kinda a shame that a Conservative win seems so inevitable. I wonder what it'd take to tip the scales into making this an actual contest.

Oh totally, it'd incredible if they end up becoming the opposition (that isn't happening).

It's kinda a shame that a Conservative win seems so inevitable. I wonder what it'd take to tip the scales into making this an actual contest.

The right's iron grip on UK media imploding would be a great start.

Their unambiguous pro-Europeanism might well cost the Lib Dems in working class seats. But I applaud them for actually standing up for us. But, if the EU finally formally implements 2 speed Europe as recommended by the 60th anniversary EU meeting, and beats the UK to get better trade deals (this is looking more likely, talks are pretty advanced with Japan AFAIK) I can see joining the lower tier being taken seriously again.

A Lib Dem government would be even better. Mildly centre-right economic policies with a social conscience. I can only dream. Don't know why moderate Labour and Tory voters don't go Lib Dem. Whoever promises to stay in the single market has my vote, as pointless as it is now. I'll help send a message, I guess. Don't know why people even bother voting for Corbyn's Labour anymore. If he stays on all centrist Labour MPs should just mass defect to Lib Dems.

I mean, good luck with the argument that since the last time the LD were given power, they made sure the Toroes only stabbed poor people in the neck five times instead of ten, they deserve a cookie in the form of more power.

Pandy

I see the relentless, excessive use of the word 'stability' is enough for people to vote Tory then.

Anyone care to explain what the Tories have done in the past seven years or so that make them appealing? Because unless you're incredibly wealthy I can''t see the appeal.

Not sure if this has been posted yet: https://twitter.com/TMayCasebooks

lol. I was about to reply to your post with the same link you included. Great minds/fools, etc.

For the unaware:
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-VTVjYXYAAAHe2.jpg:large[/IMG]

PJV3

lol. I was about to reply to your post with the same link you included. Great minds/fools, etc.

For the unaware:
Code:

Almost perfect, no. Mention of chaos or other points of view being a threat to national security but almost there.

avaya

Their unambiguous pro-Europeanism might well cost the Lib Dems in working class seats. But I applaud them for actually standing up for us. But, if the EU finally formally implements 2 speed Europe as recommended by the 60th anniversary EU meeting, and beats the UK to get better trade deals (this is looking more likely, talks are pretty advanced with Japan AFAIK) I can see joining the lower tier being taken seriously again.

There is zero chance whatsoever the UK is going to beat the EU to any significant trade deal.

The UK will bend over and take it because it has no leverage whatsoever.

PJV3

Follow the link in 31GhostIV's post. They've got you covered.

Nice, I was a bit worried the important message of the election was being overlooked.

Have they got anything about the "sky falling in" the classic test of Tory brexit policy success?

Nice, I was a bit worried the important message of the election was being overlooked.

Have they got anything about the "sky falling in" the classic test of Tory policy success?

Here's your coalition reference...

C-RF4j7WAAApedl.jpg

HaloRose

Banned
Does anyone here think they're going to be another opposition to tories? do u think labour finish after this election. Can't wait to see the answered of these question after the election.

avaya

Does anyone here think they're going to be another opposition to tories? do u think labour finish after this election. Can't wait to see the answered of these question after the election.

Crab made a very insightful post a few pages back. The Tories are the party of the working class now and they are thick enough to keep voting Tory. That polarisation has accelerated over the last couple of years.

Once you have this realisation, you will lose all hope.

PJV3

Crab made a very insightful post a few pages back. The Tories are the party of the working class now and they are thick enough to keep voting Tory. That polarisation has accelerated over the last couple of years.

Once you have this realisation, you will lose all hope.

I'm not quite that down about it, the Tories fuck this up and it's going to get nasty.

HaloRose

Banned
I think their going to be another opposition in britain but it won't be labour,liberals or ukip it be something new that's my feeling.

I'm not quite that down about it, the Tories fuck this up and it's going to get nasty.

Like they fucked up the NHS? The education system? Disability Living Allowance? Scotland? Northern Ireland? British steel? The EU?

There's always another bogeyman. You've not learnt from these past few years if you think the next big mistake is going to be the one that skewers them.

Daffy Duck

For the unaware:
Code:

Reads like PlayStation 4 firmware update patch notes.

Stable as fuck.

PJV3

Like they fucked up the NHS? The education system? Disability Living Allowance? Scotland? Northern Ireland? British steel? The EU?

There's always another bogeyman. You've not learnt from these past few years if you think the next big mistake is going to be the one that skewers them.

Nah, I'm aware they can get away with almost anything. I still think the economy seriously tanking and people ending up skint and disappointed is going to be bad for them.

Subtract hardcore Tories, EDL types etc obviously.

TimmmV

Lets face it, it's going to take some prolonged or really serious recession for people to distrust the Tories enough to consider voting Labour or Lib Dem

PJV3

Lets face it, it's going to take some prolonged or really serious recession for people to distrust the Tories enough to consider voting Labour or Lib Dem

Well we will be at 12 years of Tory rule by the next election, I'm not expecting a Labour government at that point as proper full brexit will only just have started(if the Tories are doing OK). The next point will be the 17 year mark, I think that should be long enough.

Jesus that's depressed me for the night.

I think their going to be another opposition in britain but it won't be labour,liberals or ukip it be something new that's my feeling.

Can't see it being UKIP. Their mass appeal was bigotry mixed with euroscepticism.

They've lost the latter, and I don't believe we're that bad as a society for the former to become anything but a fringe topic.

Acorn

Well we will be at 12 years of Tory rule by the next election, I'm not expecting a Labour government at that point as proper full brexit will only just have started(if the Tories are doing OK). The next point will be the 17 year mark, I think that should be long enough.

We're due a recession by historical (non 90s - 2008)standards in the next parliament. Not that it's something that I think will move the needle enough but it's something to be noted.

PJV3

We're due a recession by historical (non 90s - 2008)standards in the next parliament. Not that it's something that I think will move the needle enough but it's something to be noted.

Oh yeah, there's all the usual stuff that can mess things up as well, our new pal in Washington is going to be interesting the way he's behaving the last few days.

Snowman

Ultimately, the tories can't dominate like this forever. Whether they get complacent and push too far in a direction that people don't like, or the public's feelings gradually change over time, or some new really likeable leader pops up and finds the right message to oppose them. Or more likely some unforeseeable situation occurs somewhere down the line that shakes things up enough to displace them. Either way, it's not a question of if a viable opposition will emerge, it's a question of how and when is that going to be. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but we'll see.

Cheer up, maybe we can spin the next global recession (which will be bad) against the Tories. Blame Brexit too for good measure, we might be able to reverse this sooner than we thought

Brexit won't be as bad as people are saying nor will it be a success. I predict a whole lot of 'meh' and lots of people being disappointed that their lives are still shit. Hopefully people will think "What was the point, we lost all these perks for nothing?".

Jezbollah

Ultimately, the tories can't dominate like this forever. Whether they get complacent and push too far in a direction that people don't like, or the public's feelings gradually change over time, or some new really likeable leader pops up and finds the right message to oppose them. Or more likely some unforeseeable situation occurs somewhere down the line that shakes things up enough to displace them. Either way, it's not a question of if a viable opposition will emerge, it's a question of how and when is that going to be. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but we'll see.

To be honest, I don't think anyone doubts this. In reality, we've seen this domination in the works for a couple of years now. It really comes down to not when the Tories will screw up, it's more about how Labour reacts to this loss. They need a brutal self assessment, and to cut the cancer out of their party. If they are not prepared to do that, then they'll never be where they were as an entity only a few years ago.

Moze

Banned
You can tell alot about a party by how they treat the most vulnerable in society. The Tories have shown no sign of looking after disabled people, and have introduced policies that are literally killing them. Disabled people are the ones that have it the worst under the Tories.

If you vote Tory, you are either ignorant, or you do not care enough for the most vulnerable people in this country.

Maledict

You can tell alot about a party by how they treat the most vulnerable in society. The Tories have shown no sign of looking after disabled people, and have introduced policies that are literally killing them. Disabled people are the ones that have it the worst under the Tories.

If you vote Tory, you do not care enough for the most vulnerable people in this country.

I explained in detail how this isn't true, and keeping on repeating it is unfortunately just going to make people ignore your arguments and points. The only way for them to be removed from office is by people stopping voting Tory, and attacking the voter never makes people change!

Attack the policies, dont attack the voters.

Moze

Banned
I explained in detail how this isn't true, and keeping on repeating it is unfortunately just going to make people ignore your arguments and points. The only way for them to be removed from office is by people stopping voting Tory, and attacking the voter never makes people change!

It is up to the voter to educate themselves on what they vote for. It is not my problem if somebody is ignorantly voting for the Tories, completely unaware of what they are actually voting for. They still are voting for these things regardless of knowing about it or not. It is their fault if they are unaware of the policies of the party they are voting for. What exactly do you want me to say? It is the people of this country that allow the Tories to get away with it. Cherry picking some random examples of ignorant voters doesn't say a whole lot. They still voted for it.

Let me fix my comment, though.

Acorn

Attacking immoral policies will make those that support said policy angry anyway.Doesn't really matter if you provide a thesis as to why it is immoral or not, certain voters will take that as an attack regardless.

TimmmV

From Thatcher to Major they managed to go from 1979-97, what you're saying wouldn't be far off that again.

Call me cynical, but I think too many people still see Labour and the Conservatives as two sides of the same coin, and only really see the need to change when the government really fucks up. I just hope Brexit will be bad enough to cause that, its basically the only sliver of a silver lining i can see coming from Brexit

If someone like Corbyn is still in charge that won't be enough.

No, but I cant see that being the case in another 5 years. Either Corbyn will prove everyone wrong and suddenly become amazing, or he will be replaced

Edit: I see that now the Tories are considering a "double lock" for pensioners.

ffs

Jezbollah

It is up to the voter to educate themselves on what they vote for. It is not my problem if somebody is ignorantly voting for the Tories, completely unaware of what they are actually voting for. They still are voting for these things regardless of knowing about it or not. It is their fault if they are unaware of the policies of the party they are voting for. What exactly do you want me to say? It is the people of this country that allow the Tories to get away with it. Cherry picking some random examples of ignorant voters doesn't say a whole lot. They still voted for it.

Let me fix my comment, though.

The way I look at it, I vote for two things. 1) the policies and 2) the competency and ability of those in the cabinet to execute those policies. There are a lot of Labour policies I like, but I just cannot entertain the prospect of voting for Corbyn or his Shadow Cabinet.

Give me better parties, better leaders, better manifestos.. Please.

Yougov has Labour on 29% today. Dodgy poll?

Goldsmith vs Olney in Richmond Park again. Going to be one of the big fights of this general election I'd wager. Depends on if the Tories lose their luster over the campaign or not.

I think Goldsmith is badly damaged goods, but I also know that life is unfair.

Acorn

From Thatcher to Major they managed to go from 1979-97, what you're saying wouldn't be far off that again.

Call me cynical, but I think too many people still see Labour and the Conservatives as two sides of the same coin, and only really see the need to change when the government really fucks up. I just hope Brexit will be bad enough to cause that, its basically the only sliver of a silver lining i can see coming from Brexit

No, but I cant see that being the case in another 5 years. Either Corbyn will prove everyone wrong and suddenly become amazing, or he will be replaced

Edit: I see that now the Tories are considering a "double lock" for pensioners.

ffs
I dunno, the media's playbook for brexit failure seems to be blaming nebulous saboteurs and remainers for not 'believing' hard enough, it's as if The Secret was a scientific textbook.

Acorn

Yougov has Labour on 29% today. Dodgy poll?

Goldsmith vs Olney in Richmond Park again. Going to be one of the big fights of this general election I'd wager. Depends on if the Tories lose their luster over the campaign or not.

I think Goldsmith is badly damaged goods, but I also know that life is unfair.
Labour are shit, the polls could have them at 10% and I'd believe them.

The Tories own the rhetoric in Britain. It's only till you move to a different country that you realise how entrenched the U.K. is in class identity and a language that looks up to its betters and make judgements on the disadvantaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom