• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

1) It's a reference to a line used by Kenneth Clarke

2) It's an election.

I can't wait for this election to be over with (plus the German election) so that all of this grandstanding can end and we can actually start negotiating.
German election doesn't really matter for negotiations (despite what UK media likes to say). Both potential winning parties have largely the same position and are already in power. The only thing keeping negotiations from starting is the UK election really.

Meadows

Banned
German election doesn't really matter for negotiations (despite what UK media likes to say). Both potential winning parties have largely the same position and are already in power. The only thing keeping negotiations from starting is the UK election really.

Ah, that's good then.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Brexit is consistently rated as the most important issue when polled - and those polls are unprompted.

It is regarded as more important than education, the economy, or the NHS.

Right, but what people are concerned about is that it gets properly done, not whether it should happen. The latter is a dead question, at least in the current political climate.

Pandy

And in doing so she confirms everything about the Junker dinner that was reported is true.

If this or something similar has been posted already then I missed it, but here's a full translation of the original article some might find more interesting to read than the bullet points we had earlier:
https://medium.com/@20sthredhead/i-translated-that-infamous-german-article-concerning-the-may-juncker-dinner-that-everyones-been-ac5f952b92e
I translated that infamous German article concerning the May-Juncker dinner that everyone's been talking about.
For the past few days UK media hasn't stopped talking about this article in German newspaper FAS, but according to Forbes there were no decent translations of it online yet — challenge accepted.

Alternative translation here: https://twitter.com/TMayCasebooks/status/859319275466739712/photo/1

How is being difficult going to help? It's 27 vs 1.

It's the equivalent a football team being reduced to just 1 player, who then decides the best tactic is to foul the shit out of the opposition.

Lets be honest, we should just start looking into sponsorship deals for our major tourist spots.

PJV3

How is being difficult going to help? It's 27 vs 1.

It's the equivalent a football team being reduced to just 1 player, who then decides the best tactic is to foul the shit out of the opposition.

Lets be honest, we should just start looking into sponsorship deals for our major tourist spots.

She's also sat around waiting for kick off just to leave the pitch when the game begins.

Faddy

Banned
Robert Peston tweeting about more Tory corruption.

HSBC loans the company of Former Tory Treasurer £200m
Company turns around and gives £5m to the Tories despite being in severe financial distress

If this or something similar has been posted already then I missed it, but here's a full translation of the original article some might find more interesting to read than the bullet points we had eariler:
https://medium.com/@20sthredhead/i-translated-that-infamous-german-article-concerning-the-may-juncker-dinner-that-everyones-been-ac5f952b92e
David Davis reminds me of that person who goes up a German and is like remember that time we beat you in World War I and II? I kind of get it is a "don't think you can push us around, we've won before" but it seems rather unhelpful.

Though the walk away and default on debts threat...it got a solution for Greece.

I've got some bleak news:
"We want to lead the world in preventing, tourism"-HMS Theresa Mayhem

Labour having a Shadow Home secretary that failed GCSE maths is all the headlines today (mainly because that hole kept digging itself) but this gaffe barely made a blip when it happened (and is why she likes speeches over interviews or debates, there are fewer questions asked). Then again it would ruin the medias projected image of HMS Theresa Mayhem; the strong and stable but bloody difficult to control vessel.

jm89

She was probably seething the last few days after that german report came out, only matter of time the buffoon would respond without thinking of the situation we are in.

Will see how long your strong stable shit lasts when we end up with a hard brexit.

She was probably seething the last few days after that german report came out, only matter of time the buffoon would respond without thinking of the situation we are in.

Will see how long your strong stable shit lasts when we end up with a hard brexit.

Doesn't matter, they've already got the "Brussels are being nasty" line ready to go.

Farage is harping on about how the EU are trying to prevent sensible discussions about the status of EU citizens...

I've got some bleak news:
"We want to lead the world in preventing, tourism"-HMS Theresa Mayhem

Labour having a Shadow Home secretary that failed GCSE maths is all the headlines today (mainly because that hole kept digging itself) but this gaffe barely made a blip when it happened (and is why she likes speeches over interviews or debates, there are fewer questions asked). Then again it would ruin the medias projected image of HMS Theresa Mayhem; the strong and stable but bloody difficult to control vessel.

What did you want the news to do with that? It's mildly amusing, but probably worth no more than a two second chuckle. You can't really write an article about it.

clockpunk

As we rapidly lose options over a semi-reasonable Brexit (those who see this shambles for what it is), I am coming to really hope the EU sticks it to the UK and stage a hard brain drain by offering a semi-decent incentive to abandon the sinking ship and become generic EU citizens. I know I would take that option in a heartbeat. But if it could be done en-masse, really hammer home lesson for Commandant May, I would be incredibly satisfied.

Acorn

Remember when May was the sober and reasonable choice last year. Hahabaha oh god 😂🤣😐😯🤤😭

PJV3

Remember when May was the sober and reasonable choice last year. Hahabaha oh god 😂🤣😐😯🤤😭

The other options were quite ghoulish really, I would still take her over Gove. I'm getting a sneaky feeling that power is going to her head and she's more in the God squad than she lets on.

avaya

As we rapidly lose options over a semi-reasonable Brexit (those who see this shambles for what it is), I am coming to really hope the EU sticks it to the UK intellectuals and stage a hard brain drain by offering a semi-decent incentive to abandon the sinking ship and become generic EU citizens. I know I would take that option in a heartbeat. But if it could be done en-masse, really hammer home lesson for Commandant May, I would be incredibly satisfied.

I already reached this point a long long time ago. I want the EU to absolutely fuck this country over completely. It won't be a difficult task either. I fucking hate nationalism.

Acorn

The other options were quite ghoulish really, I would still take her over Gove.
Gove has a habit of self destructing, May hides and surrounds herself with blowhards to deflect attention. Plus his posh pufferfish face is funny.

PJV3

Gove has a habit of self destructing, May hides and surrounds herself with blowhards to deflect attention. Plus his posh pufferfish face is funny.

At the time she looked the better option, she said the right things, turns out she realised the Tories can do and say whatever they want when it comes to brexit.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when May was the sober and reasonable choice last year. Hahabaha oh god ������������

I don't know if I'd agree with that. They were all awful.

I mean she won by doing nothing, a strategy she's now using in the GE

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Normally, most political banter is terrible and cringeworthy. However, Tom Watson's latest line was p. good.

Tom Watson said:
People are worried about the risk of robots taking their jobs. I fear with this Prime Minister it's already happened.

At the time she looked the better option, she said the right things, turns out she realised the Tories can do and say whatever they want when it comes to brexit.

Her surveillance fetish has always bothered me.

Speaking of which, I see the Digital Economy Bill got Royal Assent while everyone was distracted with elections and brexits.

PJV3

Her surveillance fetish has always bothered me.

Speaking of which, I see the Digital Economy Bill got Royal Assent while everyone was distracted with elections and brexits.

Oh I know, I'm not saying I was a fan or anything. I meant she pretended she was going to listen to other points of view, Scotland and Wales etc. Instead she appointed Davies and Fox and told the civil service to stop bringing negative ideas to meetings.

Acorn

Oh I know, I'm not saying I was a fan or anything. I meant she pretended she was going to listen to other points of view, Scotland and Wales etc. Instead she appointed Davies and Fox and told the civil service to stop bringing negative ideas to meetings.
She can't listen to other nations though. Saboteurs!

A herd of rhino's have more tact than Mrs May

We're relying on the goodwill of the EU for a semi decent deal. We have to be firm and friendly, not bloody-minded.

I ask however, is there a possible language barrier on this "Brexit success". Junker seems to reply it can not be a success (brexit talks?) and Stephan Mayer German home office spokesman responding after the leak today "If someone in Great Britain thinks they will be the winner or takes advantage, I'm convinced this would be an illusion."

Brexit success to me and from what Mrs May has said in the last year has been overall, long term, 5-10 years and beyond, she's determined to make it a success, not come away from the discussions the winner with a better deal and for Brexit ie the break up a success.

Also I'm sure being only slightly worse off or on par and avoiding a doom scenario would be a success. Even brexiteers have talked about a few years of a slump being worth it.

slider

How much effort, money and time would it take for a new political party to "launch"? The lot we've got really aren't for me (although I'm probably voting LDs in local and general elections).

It'd have to launch out of the hulk of an already extant party I guess, otherwise it'd always be fringe... Maybe, I don't know. Just letting my mind freewheel.

Hey, look - the EU has some indisputable principles. But, y'know what? We've "got" Jaguar Land Rover. So they'll buckle. Sometimes I think May's only interested in winning the election. Having a mandate. The negotiations that follow might surprise me. But, again, letting my bloody mind freewheel...

Acorn

How much effort, money and time would it take for a new political party to "launch"? The lot we've got really aren't for me (although I'm probably voting LDs in local and general elections).

It'd have to launch out of the hulk of an already extant party I guess, otherwise it'd always be fringe... Maybe, I don't know. Just letting my mind freewheel.

Hey, look - the EU has some indisputable principles. But, y'know what? We've "got" Jaguar Land Rover. So they'll buckle. Sometimes I think May's only interested in winning the election. Having a mandate. The negotiations that follow might surprise me. But, again, letting my bloody mind freewheel...
Answer to the first two is alot, answer to the this is dependant on the success of the first two.

Another party is pointless unless it leads to govt which it wouldn't.

If I make the acorn party I'll agree with 100% of the positions but if it can't implement those positions does it matter?

Maybe I'll feel warm and fuzzy for 5 seconds that's the extent of it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think anyone will create another party. Labour will come to its senses after this election.

As for May I'm just going to assume her comments today about being "bloody difficult" are meant for the election to prove how strong she is and it's not a real position she's taking with the EU

Xando

A herd of rhino's have more tact than Mrs May

We're relying on the goodwill of the EU for a semi decent deal. We have to be firm and friendly, not bloody-minded.

I ask however, is there a possible language barrier on this "Brexit success". Junker seems to reply it can not be a success (brexit talks?) and Stephan Mayer German home office spokesman responding after the leak today "If someone in Great Britain thinks they will be the winner or takes advantage, I'm convinced this would be an illusion."

Brexit success to me and from what Mrs May has said in the last year has been overall, long term, 5-10 years and beyond, she's determined to make it a success, not come away from the discussions the winner with a better deal and for Brexit ie the break up a success.

Also I'm sure being only slightly worse off or on par and avoiding a doom scenario would be a success. Even brexiteers have talked about a few years of a slump being worth it.
Speaking from a german perspective.
I don't think there is a language barrier with most in the EU saying Brexit can't be a success. People outside of britain see Brexit as a decision to purposely hurt yourself. People see the large (mostly economic) ramifications and wonder why anyone would vote for it.

A lot of people also wonder what the goal of Brexit is.
Until now i haven't actually heard one brexiteer tell me what they want to achieve with Brexit other than sovereignty(which is bs as May even said parliament was always sovereign). Is it cutting immigration? Do people think the British economy will develop faster than it is within the singlemarket? Do brexiteers want to negotiate their own trade treaties so bad they want to leave the EU? Do they think local training will be better than it is now because european immigrants don't fill vacancies?

Not judging on anyone that wants to leave but i'd like someone to explain me what exactly they think will be better 10-15 years from now that warrants self harm of leaving because i genuinely can't see it.

Don't worry PV, I've been about the threads enough to know you're not a May fan.

If you want a progressive party to win an election, your best bet is to start a Conservative party. Socially and fiscally conservative, but more liberal. Splitting the Conservative vote is the only way at this point.

Jezbollah

I think there would be plenty of would-be donors looking to fund a centrist party with current (until tomorrow!) Labour MPs. Might even be a few Tory donors looking carefully at that too...

Acorn

I think there would be plenty of would-be donors looking to fund a centrist party with current (until tomorrow!) Labour MPs. Might even be a few Tory donors looking carefully at that too...
Again if it doesn't lead to the government the hell does it matter?

Xando

Again if it doesn't lead to the government the hell does it matter?
It takes power away from labour and the tories. If they get large enough it might even force the big parties to go for a coalition and keep them from going hard right/left

theaface

As for May I'm just going to assume her comments today about being "bloody difficult" are meant for the election to prove how strong she is and it's not a real position she's taking with the EU

Strong is good. Is she also stable though? I think a combination of the two is exactly the kind of leadership this country needs as we seek to negotiate the best deal for Britain that works for everybody, not just the privileged few.

If you want a progressive party to win an election, your best bet is to start a Conservative party. Socially and fiscally conservative, but more liberal. Splitting the Conservative vote is the only way at this point.

Ewww social conservatism. Make that socially liberal and fiscally conservative and I might actually grow to like such a party. But then again that's pretty much the Lib Dems.....

As we rapidly lose options over a semi-reasonable Brexit (those who see this shambles for what it is), I am coming to really hope the EU sticks it to the UK and stage a hard brain drain by offering a semi-decent incentive to abandon the sinking ship and become generic EU citizens. I know I would take that option in a heartbeat. But if it could be done en-masse, really hammer home lesson for Commandant May, I would be incredibly satisfied.

The EU Parliament did vote en masse for this:

The resolution also warns the UK against any attempt to limit rights linked to the freedom of movement before it effectively withdraws from the EU and asks the EU-27 to examine how to address the fear of British citizens that Brexit will lead to the loss of their current EU citizenship rights.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20170329IPR69054/red-lines-on-brexit-negotiations

So there is hope for the EU helping us out instead of being forced to stay in May's Island Prison.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Just call it "New Labour".

The Labour party will object of course, but if it comes to court you could convincingly argue with plenty of evidence from their own mouths that (a) they have expressly abandoned the term and (b) that there is no risk of anybody confusing it with the 'real' Labour party.

Ewww social conservatism. Make that socially liberal and fiscally conservative and I might actually grow to like such a party.

I wouldn't call ourselves fiscally conservative - like a lot of things, we're somewhere in between the two big parties.

On the other hand, if fiscal conservatism isn't setting the economy on fire after Brexit, then sign me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom