• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep telling people, Labour doesn't care about winning any more. They don't want the responsibility of running government and the country.

They are happy as the opposition with the occasional jab thrown during PMQ. Corbyn is just a symptom of a larger problem in the Labour party. I don't know if the Blair/Brown years broke them, but something within the party is seriously out of sync.

Zaph

I thought exactly the same thing. Mana from heaven for the Tories. Nice attack vector to distract from "Dinner-gate"

Good lord.

The Tories couldn't have asked for a better distraction sound-bite.

Labour isn't an opposition party, they're the Tory hype man.

liquidtmd

Banned
zGtc.jpg

'Stable...that's our WORD OF THE DAY'

rvjiUvM.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've cracked the code! "strong and stable" is an anagram of "a strangest blond" - May's trying to signal for help, there's a coup underway!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you play Article 50 backwards, there's a cracking recipe for a lentil soup

And if you check under the truck in the harbour after the boat leaves, you'll find
an immigrant
underneath.

I'm pro-EU but Guy Verhofstadt has the deadest hair of all time

I've grown to like Verhofstadt simply because there's something cool about this funny looking guy (It's not just the hair. It's the combo of hair and glasses!) with his funny accent not giving a shit at all and just deliver one righteous rant after another in the European Parliament. Last week, it was Orban's turn to be on the receiving end of one of his speeches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjMJs39bFY

PJV3

I didn't hear the figures at the end . I'm afraid I was still laughing at Abbotts 8 grand a year coppers.
It's made the national news now. How Labour could ask anyone to trust them with the task of running this country is beyond me .

I just read the transcript the Tories and libdems put out, I try and limit my Abbott's voice intake during a campaign.

It's a real shame Labour are going into this election with a front bench team consisting of people like Abbott and Thornberry. Part of me is worried that McDonnell is going to hit the campaign trail brandishing his Little Red Book and wearing a hammer and sickle tie pin.

In many ways the PLP are a coalition of chaos all on their own. If only they could provide the strong and stable opposition this country really..... *gunshot*

Watched that video with the youtube automatic subtitles. They really need to work on that software, it just came out as a load of garbled nonsense!

*Splinter

Heard this live on the radio this morning. How is she still around? Her comments on stop and search were moronic too.
I've been wondering this for... longer than I've even been paying attention to politics.

I keep telling people, Labour doesn't care about winning any more. They don't want the responsibility of running government and the country.

They are happy as the opposition with the occasional jab thrown during PMQ. Corbyn is just a symptom of a larger problem in the Labour party. I don't know if the Blair/Brown years broke them, but something within the party is seriously out of sync.
But they're barely even an opposition at the moment :/

Rodelero

It's a real shame Labour are going into this election with a front bench team consisting of people like Abbott and Thornberry. Part of me is worried that McDonnell is going to hit the campaign trail brandishing his Little Red Book and wearing a hammer and sickle tie pin.

In many ways the PLP are a coalition of chaos all on their own. If only they could provide the strong and stable opposition this country really..... *gunshot*

Now come on. There's no way John McDonnell would be that stupid.

(and don't worry Jezzer was there too. This is from yesterday, to be clear)

I've always been told that Diane Abbott was very intelligent. My response to that was always: well, she does a good job of hiding it.

She managed to get herself to Oxbridge from basically nothing, so there has to be something.

However purely on the basis of looking at her and listening to her, it's sometimes difficult to work out how hard she has to concentrate to remember to breathe.

As for why she's still around, it's nepotism. Long time crony, sometime girlfriend, staunch loyalist.

PJV3

She managed to get herself to Oxbridge from basically nothing, so there has to be something.

However purely on the basis of looking at her and listening to her, it's sometimes difficult to work out how hard she has to concentrate to remember to breathe.

As for why she's still around, it's nepotism. Long time crony, sometime girlfriend, staunch loyalist.

That's a bit harsh, she's around because she's an elected MP. She's an old friend but I don't think the PLP running for the hills has exactly left him with lots of options either.

This is going to be a scenario where the Tories can happily sit back, let Labour receive the heavier media focus, watch them crash the ship on their own and simply avoid as much media scrutiny as possible while rigidly sticking to the Lynton Crosby playbook. At this rate I wonder which Tory will be first to make a complaint that Labour isn't receiving enough media attention.

*Splinter

This is going to be a scenario where the Tories can happily sit back, let Labour receive the heavier media focus, watch them crash the ship on their own and simply avoid as much media scrutiny as possible while rigidly sticking to the Lynton Crosby playbook. At this rate I wonder which Tory will be first to make a complaint that Labour isn't receiving enough media attention.
I don't remember who posted it, but apparently this is already happening!

Now come on. There's no way John McDonnell would be that stupid.

(and don't worry Jezzer was there too. This is from yesterday, to be clear)

What the holy

everloving

CHRIST

Is wrong with McDonnell.

I am putting that on as many leaflets as I can get away with.

He is STANDING UNDER THE SYRIAN GODDAMN FLAG.

AND A MARXIST-LENINIST FLAG.

The only way he'd do any worse if there was the IRA flag up there.

*Splinter

This sound's like what a rabid right winger like Katie Hopskins would say, tbh.
Left leaning doesn't give people a pass on things like this.

I noticed you ignored the fact that her constituents have voted for her for decades...she must have being doing something right for them.
I won't disagree with your first paragraph, but the second doesn't ring true. According to wiki:
The constituency has always elected Labour MPs since its creation in 1950.
The seat's narrowest majority of 18.3% was in 1979
and she's been their MP since 1987 (longer than I've been alive!). Seats don't come much safer than that.

So they are happy forever losing lol

Jackpot

Banned
What the holy

everloving

CHRIST

Is wrong with McDonnell.

I am putting that on as many leaflets as I can get away with.

He is STANDING UNDER THE SYRIAN GODDAMN FLAG.

AND A MARXIST-LENINIST FLAG.

The only way he'd do any worse if there was the IRA flag up there.

Just for confirmation I searched for another pic to make sure it wasn't Yemen or Iraq, and yes it was the Syrian flag.

C-wKQNGXcAA0CyM.jpg

Still recovering.

People raise eyebrows when I tell them that Trots have taken over the Labour Party.

I need a drink.

Speaking at an event endorsed by the CPGB-ML (as is their title these days) should in any sane world get you evicted from Labour.

CCS

Banned
I still think Corbyn speaking at an emergency demo against himself axing the Shadow Mental Health post has to be the funniest piece of rallying in the last two years.

CCS

Banned
I'm genuinely convinced Diane Abott must have lost the ability to think at some point between leaving university and now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely convinced Diane Abott must have lost the ability to think at some point between leaving university and now.

It's reasonably well known she has problems with alcohol. There's quite a few QT appearances you can't help but suspect.

CCS

Banned
It's reasonably well known she has problems with alcohol. There's quite a few QT appearances you can't help but suspect.

Huh, suddenly that makes a lot of sense.

Admittedly, I'd probably have problems with alcohol too if I was in the Shadow Cabinet.

I look forward to this evenings Facebook posts about how the lying media are not focusing on the real issues and are conspiring to discredit Corbyn.

Apparently, according to family members, the BBC are public enemy no. 1 now, only The Canary can be trusted on reporting the real news.... 🤔

Really?

That's a bit sad to hear, hopefully it isn't Charles Kennedy bad.

She has far fewer brain cells to kill than Kennedy, I am sure she will be fine.

Alcoholism is not something to make jokes about and I do actually feel bad for making this joke, especially as someone who often regrets never having had the chance to meet Charles Kennedy before he died.

CCS

Banned
I'm reminded of that classic Dead Ringers line about Abbott:

"I dream of one day living in a country where I am judged, not by the colour of my skin, but by the stupidity of my remarks."

PJV3

That Abbot interview....

Nick Ferrari looked baffled.

The only good thing is it's still a while until the election and its just a serious foot in mouth incident and not an actual policy problem.

Brown calling someone a bigot or Thornberry being a bit snooty probably sticks in people's memory more.

The bad news is there's more time left to fuck it up if they don't up their game.

Pixieking

Banned
I look forward to this evenings Facebook posts about how the lying media are not focusing on the real issues and are conspiring to discredit Corbyn.

Apparently, according to family members, the BBC are public enemy no. 1 now, only The Canary can be trusted on reporting the real news.... 🤔

Ken Loach Criticizes BBC's "Disgusting" Political Bias Ahead of U.K. Election

"The press and the broadcasters really do everything to denigrate him," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "I think the one thing that emerges is the bias of the press, particularly of the BBC, which is in such a very special position. It's disgusting ... unbelievable. And they've really got to be called into question."

Loach is well-Left, though.

The BBC gets hit from both sides though.

Edit: Does anyone know how I can watch LBC live? All the shows are recorded but I can only ever find their audio feeds.

That's a bit harsh, she's around because she's an elected MP. She's an old friend but I don't think the PLP running for the hills has exactly left him with lots of options either.

This is Labour's biggest problem. Over 200 seats and they can barely find enough people to fill the cabinet because Corbyn has alienated them all.
This page shows the extent of Corbyn's game of musical chairs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet_of_Jeremy_Corbyn

If I were some sort of stealth Tory bot, I might be suggest that this shows a lack of strength and/or stability.

Oh, and McDonnell has been speaking at UK Communist Party rallies in the run up to a general election because of course he fucking has. If this was football, he'd be getting a yellow card for over-celebration of his own goal.

Oh well, I'm off to France for a few days so I'll be spared the stupidity for a while. Hopefully I'll see Macron give Le Pen a damn good thrashing - it's been a long time since I've seen a public vote give a good result!

I fully expect to return to Daily Mail headlines saying that Farron wants to make his spaniel the shadow home secretary.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
God can't this just be over. We know what's going to happen just let the Tories win so Labour can get some new leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom