• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brexit negotiations are going to backfire on her spectacularly, huge majority or no.

Get rid of Corbyn ASAP and start banging the uselessness drum.

remember when alexis tsipras did a referendum whether to accept the conditions of the eurozone or not? seems to be a similar move. at the end of the day irrelevant because not only the people of UK are concerned but also the people of other nations in europe

Jezbollah

remember when alexis tsipras did a referendum whether to accept the conditions of the eurozone or not? seems to be a similar move. at the end of the day irrelevant because not only the people of UK are concerned but also the people of other nations in europe

One of the big differences with that is the people who voted for that Referendum in Greece seem to have a pretty good idea of the impact of the vote. I don't believe there's half, or even two thirds of people who voted for Leave to understand a fraction of the ramifications of their decision.

Pandy

One of the big differences with that is the people who voted for that Referendum in Greece seem to have a pretty good idea of the impact of the vote. I don't believe there's half, or even two thirds of people who voted for Leave to understand a fraction of the ramifications of their decision.
I think you'll find that the ramifications are quite clear:
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-vLF2IWAAEo41n.jpg:large[/IMG]

What the fuck has the war got to do it?
You need to be 90+ to be insulted that way.

Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-17.50.04.png

xandaca

What the fuck has the war got to do it?
You need to be 90+ to be insulted that way.

Even if one puts aside the unpleasant stupidity and xenophobia of the comment itself, it's a rather sad that his view of Britain, which he'd probably call 'patriotic', is so low that he can't think of anything Europe has to be thankful to Britain for since WW2 - and even then, I'm pretty sure the Battle of the Bulge which liberated Luxembourg was primarily led by the Americans.

Spaghetti

source

A rundown of what happened during the disastrous dinner between May and Juncker. Wheels seem to be coming off the Brexit wagon. It becomes ever more clear why this election was called.
I now understand why the Conservatives are running so hard on a message as being a competent "strong and stable" party in the election, and it's because it's such a fragile facade that they're trying to drill it into the minds of the public before everybody realises they're being lied to.

pswii60

source

A rundown of what happened during the disastrous dinner between May and Juncker. Wheels seem to be coming off the Brexit wagon. It becomes ever more clear why this election was called.
The fact that May said she "thinks" it's just Brussels gossip pretty much confirms this is true. No denial. And in that case, I'm near speechless. I'll be voting for the LibDems as they have a chance of beating the Tories where I am.. anything to give that psychopath one less seat. The problem is that even this month is just one big advert for her.

That sounds more like something Alastair Campbell would say.

Honestly my expectation is that Blair and Campbell are probably in a room somewhere working on their media message - Campbell is influential with The New European, after all. They're old comrades.

Blair has to make a move at some point. The problem is that if he gets evicted from Labour, he'll probably be the catalyst for the party's collapse. But if he says nothing, the party will collapse anyway, just AFTER the general election.

Acorn

Honestly my expectation is that Blair and Campbell are probably in a room somewhere working on their media message - Campbell is influential with The New European, after all. They're old comrades.

Blair has to make a move at some point. The problem is that if he gets evicted from Labour, he'll probably be the catalyst for the party's collapse. But if he says nothing, the party will collapse anyway, just AFTER the general election.
I think you overestimate Blair's commitment. He just does interviews where he says "I'm back" then fucks off awhile then does a "I'm back" interview repeat until he gets bored in a year.

The media loves it because they get to write "Evil/saviour Blair is back to save/destroy the UK" articles.

excowboy

I think you overestimate Blair's commitment. He just does interviews where he says "I'm back" then fucks off awhile then does a "I'm back" interview repeat until he gets bored in a year.

The media loves it because they get to write "Evil/saviour Blair is back to save/destroy the UK" articles.

Is that really true though? I don't recall him making as much noise as this domestically at any point since leaving No10. Also, gotta say the football analogy is very good - more or less everyone understands it, the imagery is quite compelling, and coming from someone who can get himself heard.

Will be interesting to see what happens if he really decides to push himself into the limelight - he probably has more money and better connections than the actual Labour party!

46% of people think May has been effective as PM.
13% think Corbyn has been effective as the opposition leader.

I think that May number is going to drop a little this week, but the right is already papering over what happened at the Junker dinner, so it probably won't get through to people.

May is able to get away with a huge amount. I talked to a Tory voter yesterday. "I disagree with leaving the EU, but people voted to leave and it was really all about immigration so we have to make the most of life outside the single market."

A Tory voter willing to admit that he disagreed with his party on this massive issue, then jumping though hoops to justify his vote to himself pretty much defines the reason why May is going to get a landslide. She and her party have huge control over the message.

Mr. Sam

Canvassing for Labour yesterday in a South London constituency, nobody - not even those who would vote Labour - had anything positive to say about Corbyn. However, neither did anybody bring up Brexit unprompted. A very small sample size, granted.

Mr. Sam

I basically only check this wikipedia page rather than individual polls, but it looks like there's been a fairly sharp uptick for Labour over the last week! It'll be interesting to see if that continues.

I was cynical when I saw friends sharing Labour increases in the polls but it does seem as if there's been some recovery. It should be noted that the Tories haven't gone into full attack mode yet though. There will yet be blood.

I was cynical when I saw friends sharing Labour increases in the polls but it does seem as if there's been some recovery. It should be noted that the Tories haven't gone into full attack mode yet though. There will yet be blood.
Dacre or Crosby probably have got some nice dirt they are clinging on to, just in case.

UKpollingreport had an interesting theory that maybe Tory voters were just more 'keyed up' at the idea of an election, with Labour voters initially being a bit subdued but now sort of waking up to the idea.

Thankfully, Diane Abbott is on the case.

Being wheeled out of a bunker near Faslane?

Mr. Sam

Dacre or Crosby probably have got some nice dirt they are clinging on to, just in case.

There's stuff about Corbyn that's been known but not widely reported since he became leader, which I can only imagine they've been holding onto for a massive blitz around election time.

Mark Pack - who is one of the brightest lights in the LDs for campaigning strats - summed up Labour's situation at the top of an article about 'What could go wrong for the LDs?'

He wrote:

"What could go wrong for the Labour Party?

Jeremy Corbyn.'

Corbyn is incompetent in the extreme - he has managed to become more unpopular than Nick Clegg managed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Britain Elects is probably a better source than a Wikipedia page, for future reference.

Britain Elects is probably the same level of credibility, tbh. It is more or less just a developed blog of three people (sadly now two) who happened to have an interest in politics. Neither are psephologists or have any kind of statistical background.

Britain Elects is probably the same level of credibility, tbh. It is more or less just a developed blog of three people (sadly now two) who happened to have an interest in politics. Neither are psephologists or have any kind of statistical background.

Of course, but as an aggregator they're quick in updating the site when new polls are published, and it's not open to tampering in the same way that Wikipedia is.

Of course, but as an aggregator they're quick in updating the site when new polls are published, and it's not open to tampering in the same way that Wikipedia is.

Yeah, to be fair I did once see a poll showing 97% UKIP uploaded to that wikipedia page. It was gone within like five minutes, but you do have to bear in mind that people can basically upload whatever they want.

I just like the graph really - the line is nice and thick, which I think basically reflects the level of accuracy of the polls. The FT aggregator line is too thin for my liking.

An interesting tidbit (or not) but my sister went to Venice Friday and the customs guys were kicking British people out of the EU lane :d everyone hates us already

Mr. Sam

An interesting tidbit (or not) but my sister went to Venice Friday and the customs guys were kicking British people out of the EU lane :d everyone hates us already

I'm not sure I believe this. If it's true, tell your sister that she and her fellow passengers could make a few bob from selling their story to the papers.

Meadows

Banned
People wonder why we've gone to the right as a country, it's because this is the fucking shadow home secretary. Christ I can't believe anyone would vote for that party.

The sooner this is over and somebody like Khan, David Miliband, Umunna or Cooper can come in the better.

liquidtmd

Banned

I sense the more they go into full attack mode here, the more people will turn away

Did anyone record or take pictures of this incident?

Can't be legal in the sightless since we are still members of the EU for the next 2 years as least.

It's weird how at the end she's bang on with figures again, it's like she really wasn't listening at the beginning.
I didn't hear the figures at the end . I'm afraid I was still laughing at Abbotts 8 grand a year coppers.
It's made the national news now. How Labour could ask anyone to trust them with the task of running this country is beyond me .

Mr. Sam

I've always been told that Diane Abbott was very intelligent. My response to that was always: well, she does a good job of hiding it.

Jezbollah

My God is this the standard of Labour's front bench? The Tories really don't need to do anything. Just let Labour talk and dig their own graves.

I thought exactly the same thing. Mana from heaven for the Tories. Nice attack vector to distract from "Dinner-gate"

Good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom