• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 4 Pre-Alpha builds -> You can play and test it for free.

Miker

Nice you were playing with me (Skitch) and my roommate (totallytaco). This game is awesome

Just came in second to your roommate. I think it would've been closer if I hadn't killed myself so many times :p

Good lord, I can't believe I'm playing Unreal Tournament 4 pre-alpha multiplayer (!!!) in 2014. Crazy. And it's so fun despite being incredibly barebones. I can't wait for the real thing.

EDIT:

I think the thread title should mention that it's got working multiplayer.

MRORANGE

Looks like UT3 but plays like UT2003

1AE0E74EA43D099BB4FBEF14BAD38FF2D029BC26

FA0BFCE5F06D354CAE51302B70E27CABB5F605E2

1FF73E8E2F9665A17624D3FA1550623673EFC84B

B18038564ED7F994051354B921CE76F6ADBA71FE

1CD217712CAB6FFC74DEA36B66595B46EB8F2173

702A9A24534D12616CF7B45949CA6F8D5D003476

Techies

Just came in second to your roommate. I think it would've been closer if I hadn't killed myself so many times :p

Good lord, I can't believe I'm playing Unreal Tournament 4 pre-alpha multiplayer (!!!) in 2014. Crazy. And it's so fun despite being incredibly barebones. I can't wait for the real thing.

EDIT:

I think the thread title should mention that it's got working multiplayer.

Yeah I figured that out after I downloaded it.
There's also an IRC channel #BeyondUnreal for the multi-player bit.

Xyber

I barely have any experience at all with the old UT games, was a console gamer back then. But I've been waiting for something like this to come back again. There's not much the the game right now, but it is playable and pretty fun. The netcode does not feel that great right now and the game looks a bit blurry because of whatever post-process stuff they use. Performance is far from optimized now and on one map I did get dips to 50fps with an average of 75. The other maps played better at around 100fps. This was with all standard settings and 1080p.

Made a little webm as well.
http://a.pomf.se/buyztv.webm

I know I'll be ridiculed to high hell for this, but I'm not feeling it. I've been playing Unreal Tournament since the original release, but never online against other people. I'm having great difficulty in hitting ANYTHING. It's like I'm trying to move this floaty pixel in the middle of my screen to hover over a bunch of The Flash clones, and I'm dead before I can even tell I'm being shot at.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
It's pretty fun. I'm really bad at it though. I just kept going for the flak cannon and rockets. :p

EDIT: Are there only a few people playing this? I always join into the same lobby (US West).

You guys were great last match, Krigo here.

Thanks, the impact hammer is super powerful. I think it is too strong but my roommate swears by it apparently. Kinda ruins matches when too many people are using it.

I dunno about you all but this makes me want to go play more of UT2004

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell do I get such a nostalgia and adrenaline rush from playing this. Can't wait for the full game!

Makes me want to play more arena shooters. Any decent ones on Steam?

Edit: Oh yeah, the impact hammer is really really strong. But you can kite it with that other gun which I think shoots like gravity or whatever...

Victrix

*beard*
Funny thing is these untextured maps barely look worse than the settings quake and ut players used to use to get more fps

... and I'd argue it makes them more playable than maps slathered with so much graphical butter you can't see anyone to shoot at them

Very much like the aesthetic they're going for with the final level art concept, clean and open visually, absolutely vital for a fast paced shooter

Vidpixel

I'm really digging this more open approach to designing a game, letting your fans play it while it's still early in development and allowing them to provide immediate feedback. This is just really cool.

Nice to see this game getting GAF's attention, its only been getting better. Im hyped for Onslaught and Assault, but movement is the number one priority right now.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Needs double jump, higher jumps plus very slightly lower gravity, dodge+jump combo allowance, fast movement in general, and more responsive weapons.

I'm well aware it's very very early, but it's nowhere near as good playing as UT2003/2004 were right now in terms of just controls and character movement.

Has a long way to go, I don't envy the work they have ahead of them.

"I'm well aware it's very very early, but it's nowhere near as good playing as UT2003/2004 were right now in terms of just controls and character movement. "

They aren't going for UT2K4 levels of movement and that's a good thing because that made UT2K4's weapon balance relatively poor compared to 99 and 3.

lord pie

Kinda says something that the impact hammer is by far the most powerful weapon :p I got a rampage just running around in a circle in a part of one level. Does that make me a bad person? no. It doesn't. :)

Or maybe it's just not affected by lag as much (feels so strange playing a game without prediction).

it says i am missing msvcp.dll.

Install this.

Kinda says something that the impact hammer is by far the most powerful weapon :p

Or maybe it's just not affected by lag as much (feels so strange playing a game without prediction). I got a rampage just running around in a circle in a part of one level. Does that make me a bad person? no. It doesn't. :)

Install this.

After playing for a little on East1, yeah the impact hammer is pretty ridiculous. I could take down anyone with it and anyone could take me down too.

Just played with a dude called fatal1ty on the west server. Might not of been him but he sure as hell played like him. Also he was playing 2k4 on twitch yesterday.

Dicer

Banned
Linux version has some menu issues, had to manually configure .ini crap.

Otherwise runs silky smooth and is def UT even in this VERY rough form.

>:)

Definitely feels like UT3, and VERY silky smooth. Netcode is perfect. Thank god the 'invertmouse' command works though.

SHL23

Banned
Fucking awesome. Glitchy though. Fell through the map and kept falling. Couldn't die or anything. But it's an alpha so I shouldn't complain. Thought I might have to upgrade from my GTX 660ti but it ran at 120+ fps constantly at 1080p. Maybe with all the textures and shit they add it might push it more, but if we get thee same performance with the final game i'll be happy. hope i dont gotta upgrade to maintain my fps for my 144hz monitor

Top Bottom