• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTIII: Epic didn't steal user created map, unbans user from forum, GAF wipes off egg.

Slo

Jtyettis said:
And that is the real world folks. Modders don't own jack.

Sure, but what's wrong with saying "this was created by a user" rather than claiming it as your own?

nestea

Minsc said:
This is basically how mods work on the PC, so I'd doubt it'd be any different on a console.

Anything you make for any game is owned by the people who own the game. It doesn't matter if they took his very exact same mod and sold it for $9.99 and make $10M from it. That's about how it works when it comes down to it.

You do not own or have the rights to anything you mod for any game, all rights are given up in the EULA.

So I'm hardly surprised. They probably banned him because he was being a jerk about it.

It doesn't really matter if it's a legal thing to do. These are people who are extremely dedicated and passionate about making extra content for the other users of the game. They basically make the game better for no extra cost to the developer.

It's a shitty thing to do to stab those people who support you in the back.

Speevy

Banned
harSon said:
This is perfectly relevant to the thread.

Maybe you should read the OP? How is the 360 version of the game not relevant to this thread?

I wonder if this is what Epic means by getting MODs on the 360 version, stealing them from users and putting them on XBL without any notification. While they're most likely allowed to do that legally it's a very low blow for the modding community.

Minsc

Gold Member
neight said:
Red Orchestra started as a mod and the developers released it as a standalone game for profit.

It's a dick shit to do regardless and he should have at least gotten credit.

I agree with you 100%, and with there being a chance of this snowballing in to a humungous amount of bad PR, but this is how mods work.

If you don't realize what you make when you make mods for games isn't yours, you're being naive. The best thing you can hope for is your mods are so great that they hire you to work for them, which they're only doing because they see it as a smart investment.

Ilchymis

Even if modders don't own shit in terms of the maps they create, if would seem like Epic would like to provide incentives for modders to create top notch maps by giving the creator a little payout and putting their name somewhere. Yeah, they don't have to by any means, but it's a total dick move of massive proportions.

I wouldn't support this shit. Funny how the 1up show from a little while back was going gaga over this map too. Just give credit where credit is due, Epic. Making your company look like something other than thieves is generally a good thing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Jtyettis said:
And that is the real world folks. Modders don't own jack.

What because of a law, that's fuckin retarded how people think like that at times. It's theiving regardless of what the EULA says it's maybe legit to pull in a legal sense but I hardly doubt most in here are gonna dress up what it is to defend epic where they are clearly wrong.

FoxSpirit

Uprising!! Boycott Epic!

...well, at least I haven't bought UT3 yet. And seeing this, I'll await Epics explanation of this.

Agent Ironside said:
Well after watching the video, I have to say, not enough footage, judging by the small bit, I think this guy is reaching a bit.
Are you joking?

A boat, in the middle of the artic ocean, snowing, icebergs on the background, same bridge. Think it was all just a big coincidence? :lol

harSon

Banned
I'm calling bullshit. The guy released his map roughly a month and a half ago, the only similarity between the two maps is the fact that it takes place on a boat in an arctic setting. I think the guy is just overreacting.

FrankT

Slo said:
Sure, but what's wrong with saying "this was created by a user" rather than claiming it as your own?

Nothing wrong with it. Are they entitled to it according to Epic’s EULA, no, totally different story.

Nobody's arguing they stole it in the legal sense, and probably don't care. We knew from the get-go he had no legal rights or ownership to the map. They still stole it in every other sense of the word, banned him from their forums, and are showcasing it to sell games. That's what people care about.

Grayman

Minsc said:
This is basically how mods work on the PC, so I'd doubt it'd be any different on a console.

Anything you make for any game is owned by the people who own the game. It doesn't matter if they took his very exact same mod and sold it for $9.99 and make $10M from it. That's about how it works when it comes down to it.

You do not own or have the rights to anything you mod for any game, all rights are given up in the EULA.

So I'm hardly surprised. They probably banned him because he was being a jerk about it.
No company has ever exercised that right.

Xyphie

mEyvqIlux.jpg

Some screenshots from the Epic created map. I don't think they look very similar layout-wise. Sure the setting is similar (ship in the arctic), but that has been done in a thousand different games before he created his map.

antiloop

Fascists. I have heard about similar bannings on the UT forum before.

Why did they ban him? Just because he wanted some credit?

chris0701

Minsc said:
I agree with you 100%, and with there being a chance of this snowballing in to a humungous amount of bad PR, but this is how mods work.

If you don't realize what you make when you make mods for games isn't yours, you're being naive. The best thing you can hope for is your mods are so great that they hire you to work for them, which they're only doing because they see it as a smart investment.

Just like how Counter-Strike was developed.

The game publisher/developer owns all rights about your mod.

squicken

A derelict ship? In the arctic? With icebergs in the background? Isn't that the entire backdrop to that shitty RE ripoff Cold Fear?

I'm with Epic on this. The setting is far too generic to claim as one's own creation.

harSon said:
I'm calling bullshit. The guy released his map roughly a month and a half ago, the only similarity between the two maps is the fact that it takes place on a boat in an arctic setting. I think the guy is just overreacting.

And why they banned him, and then they closed the thread, instead of giving an actual and logical explanation to the poor guy?.

It was that difficult to say, "It's just a coincidence, actually the map design is totally different, only the setting is the same",

Tieno

Xyphie said:
http://static.pici.se/pictures/mEyvqIlux.jpg[/IG]

Some screenshots from the Epic created map. I don't think they look very similar layout-wise. Sure the setting is similar (ship in the arctic), but that has been done a thousand different games before he created his map.[/QUOTE]

Might be 'inspired' by the map. It's a bit too much of a coincidence. Regardless, the banning is what makes it really weird. Though we don't know who banned (epic employe or just a mod?)
This sounds very un-Epic.

Setting is the only thing I see in common really, seriously, lets just say they both stole it from infinity wards shipment and call it a day.

LCGeek

formerly sane
chris0701 said:
Just like how Counter-Strike was developed.

The game publisher/developer owns all rights about your mod.

Valve bought CS. If CS was developed like mentioned valve would have would stole the game called it something else and not hired individuals from the product that made there's nothing about CS to this situation.

chris0701

Relaxed Muscle said:
And why they banned him, and then they closed the thread, instead of giving an actual and logical explanation to the poor guy?.

It was that difficult to say, "It's just a coincidence, actually the map design is totally different, only the setting is the same",

Maybe this poor guy claimed something he should not get.

squicken said:
A derelict ship? In the arctic? With icebergs in the background? Isn't that the entire backdrop to that shitty RE4 ripoff Cold Fear?

I'm with Epic on this. The setting is far too generic to claim as one's own creation.
See also: a level in Splinter Cell, Half-Life Episode 3.

It's not actually legally possible for Epic to distribute tools that stipulate that they have full legal ownership over any content that you create with them, regardless of what nonsense they stuff into the EULA. Copyright-wise, at best they can cause your mod to be a derivative work of their original game, something which you both own copyright on (and which neither of you can use for other purposes without properly compensating the other.) If they actually tried to claim such a right, in fact, they'd be opening themselves up for trouble -- since they don't actually censor the content of mods, they'd be making themselves complicit in copyright-violating mods like the Master Chief one that got so much play a few weeks ago.

This whole affair doesn't reflect that well on Epic at all. It's possible that their map really isn't a violation of his -- but by silencing and banning him, they've pretty much assured that everyone will assume it is, and they pretty much deserve all the backlash that'll generate because of their lousy handling of the situation.

nestea

Ninja Kn1ght said:
They said the best user mods would be in the game. They never said they would give credit for them. :p

They also failed to mention they would ban anyone from their forums who expected credit as well.

Masta_Killah said:
For some reason, EpicJon sounds like an Epic employee, who may have hijacked the map and called it his own. Just a thought...

Also, this reminds me of the Halo RTS mod, which got shut down.
That's what I am thinking.

Tieno

charlequin said:
This whole affair doesn't reflect that well on Epic at all. It's possible that their map really isn't a violation of his -- but by silencing and banning him, they've pretty much assured that everyone will assume it is, and they pretty much deserve all the backlash that'll generate because of their lousy handling of the situation.
It's what we call "pulling a gamespot" or "kayne and lynching"

borsdy

Banned
squicken said:
A derelict ship? In the arctic? With icebergs in the background? Isn't that the entire backdrop to that shitty RE ripoff Cold Fear?

this multiplied by eleventybillion

harSon

Banned
People are already talking about boycotting? :lol :lol Are you guys simply responding to the title? Outside of the arctic ship setting (SUE TITANIC, SUE) the maps have nothing in common. It's been roughly a month and a half since the modders release, I really doubt Epic had a map completed enough for show in a month and a half.

ToxicAdam

I'm not defending Epic, because I hate 90% of all they do, but this isn't THAT big of a deal.

It's not like they stole the guys texture work or even a map layout. It's just a setting. Just because I made a WWII map based around a European city on the HL engine, is every DoD map ripping me off, thereafter?

What Epic should have done is gone to the guy (Hey, we like your idea. Would you like to have some compensation and a credit when we realease an official map?)

I have seen times where the users are dicks and demand more money or refuse to allow the company to change their work (Day of Defeat's "Hobofire" comes to mind). So, there really could be more to this story.

Also depends on how the guy is reacting as well, to whether Epic is going to give him the time of day.

I still say COD4 Shipment.

INFINITY WARD, multiplayer GODS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If it's all true:

:lol at the Epic Jizz posters who are defending Epic. Legal, maybe. Ethical? It's a dirty thing to do.

I wouldn't demonize Epic for 'copying' a modder's map. They only copied the idea, not the actual level data. That makes them unoriginal, not Hitler. Now, the fact that they banned the mod creator from the forums, that makes Epic a bunch of douches. A bunch of unoriginal douches.

Top Bottom