• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTIII: Epic didn't steal user created map, unbans user from forum, GAF wipes off egg.

inner-G said:
I'm selling UT3 to GameStop when I pick up my FES pre-order next week.

I bought the Unreal Deal Pack over Steam a week ago.

Boycatt failed. :(

Go Red Orchestra!

edit:
I was being sarcastic, I love UTIII.

chris0701 said:
Maybe this poor guy claimed something he should not get.

And instead owning him showing the actual layouts of your level and get the people get some laughs with him, you ban him, and eliminate any lefts of that claiming covering all, making everything more suspicious.

Yeah, way to go.

chris0701 said:
The game publisher/developer owns all rights about your mod.

Again, EULAs can't actually make an end run around basic copyright law. No tool can require the person who uses it to give up their rights to the material created with that tool.

Even an extremely superficial examination of the history of modding would reveal to you that companies consistently pay in order to "officialize" mods that they like, not because they want to but because they have to.

dfyb

Banned
hopefully this will be ongoing. i have a feeling it wasn't necessarily planned like this from the higher ups, and i hope it ends up getting spoken about by mark rein (if it hasn't already).

it's obviously not the most honest move on epic's part, but it really is a lot like what the mod community does for other games. official maps from all sorts of games get remade as user created maps, so it's not like i'm totally appalled by epic reversing it. i just think they should give more credit to the original author.

it will be interesting if there's a way for the map author to have the law on his side of this and he pursue it.

edit: i do want to see more accurate map comparisons though. if it's just the theme, this doesn't even deserve a thread.

Defcon

Banned
I'll never buy another Epic game. What a dick move.

Kidding, I couldn't care less, but they definitely need to give this dude credit.

Grayman

The Faceless Master said:
you know what, after looking at more pics oh his mod and the video with epic's map, they really don't look very much alike, other than the setting...
If it is just the setting the guy is wrong and epic is fine. It would only be wrong if they took his layout of the map.

Wow, and to think I was about to buy UT3 so I could play mods on it. I feel that a lot of those mods in progress are about to dry up.

Really, the only people that seem to be making a big deal are the ones that hate Epic to begin with, just something for them to take and run with is all im seeing here.

harSon

Banned
xlildragonxod said:
Well the map thing is questionable but banning him for no given reason doesn't give you any room to defend Epic.

Maybe the guy PM'd an active mod with an asshole message.

MrKyle

Agent Ironside said:
Also depends on how the guy is reacting as well, to whether Epic is going to give him the time of day.

I still say COD4 Shipment.

INFINITY WARD, multiplayer GODS.

Wet Work is the map that takes place on the boat, not Shipment. I would know, I own the game for PS3, XBOX360, and PC. :( Damn you Infinity Ward!

Minsc said:
This is basically how mods work on the PC, so I'd doubt it'd be any different on a console.

Anything you make for any game is owned by the people who own the game. It doesn't matter if they took his very exact same mod and sold it for $9.99 and make $10M from it. That's about how it works when it comes down to it.

You do not own or have the rights to anything you mod for any game, all rights are given up in the EULA.

So I'm hardly surprised. They probably banned him because he was being a jerk about it.

No excuse, look how valve treats the the stars of their modding community; giving them a wage, helping them set up studious and getting their mods developed and published as full titles. Epic doesn't look great in comparison by taking content and wielding their ban hammer.

xlildragonxod said:
Well the map thing is questionable but banning him for no given reason doesn't give you any room to defend Epic.
well, if you made a map with a boat in the arctic, and some kid also made a map with a boat in the arctic, and he's on your forums screaming about how you stole his map, would you NOT ban him?

i can't wait until someone complains about them stealing a map on a spaceship in space... or a floating castle in the sky...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Which piece of software is this EULA attached to? Did this person lose rights by using Epic's tools? If I used Softimage XSI to build a map, then used plug-ins to port it to several different games, would the developers of those games have to play Russian roulette to determine who had the rights? Maybe rock-paper-scissors?

MrKyle said:
Wet Work is the map that takes place on the boat, not Shipment. I would know, I own the game for PS3, XBOX360, and PC. :( Damn you Infinity Ward!

Ahhh I knew I was off, well, it only made sense in my mind :/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MrKyle said:

Somone made shipment for UT3 btw. :lol

nestea

GenericPseudonym said:
Modders piss all over copyright laws because their mods don't make a profit, and then bitch about their rights to the stuff they modded?

Hopefully this teaches those lousy modders not to mess with Epic. Great job Epic! Show your community who's boss!

I can't wait until after the game hits 360 and people creat any exclusive 360 maps for the pc and ps3 version. I also can't wait to see user created pc and 360 versions show up as DLC on the 360 for $$$:lol .

Also why wouldn't they just touch his up and give him credit for it. They wouldn't even have to pay him. Send him an email saying his map will be featured in the 360 version, point to the EULA saying they own it, and put his name in the credits to make it look cool from his angle.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why draw bad publicity before launching this game and gears in the fall.

The Faceless Master said:
well, if you made a map with a boat in the arctic, and some kid also made a map with a boat in the arctic, and he's on your forums screaming about how you stole his map, would you NOT ban him?

i can't wait until someone complains about them stealing a map on a spaceship in space... or a floating castle in the sky...
Well the thing is no explanation was given, so the situation is free to interpretation. Some may interpret that he was banned because his idea was stolen, and like many people on GAF, they dont like it. The only reason that most people think as much is because of the sheer coincidence in which he was randomly banned after he complained about his map being stolen.

harSon said:
Maybe the guy PM'd an active mod with an asshole message.
Maybe. Guess we'll never know.

GenericPseudonym said:
Modders piss all over copyright laws because their mods don't make a profit

What the fuck? :lol :lol :lol

Copyright protection, and copyright violation, have nothing to do with profit. As the creator of an artistic work, you own the rights to that work (or you are one of several owners, for derivative works or co-creatorship) at the instant you create it, and you have the right to do whatever you want with it. You can give it away for free, you can charge $1000 for it, whatever you want.

Similarly, infringement is still illegal, regardless of whether the original work, the infringing work, both, or neither, was sold for money.

OMFG, they stole Wet Work from him, and moved it to a different game!!1!! Infinity Ward is teh evil!!!!!!

It's fights on boats people. How diverse could it get?

NekoFever

Speevy said:
No matter what they put in the 360 version, NOTHING will be exclusive to the 360 version of this game.
Funny, we were just discussing this kind of thing in the Shinblade aftermath thread.

Shake Appeal said:
See also: a level in Splinter Cell, Half-Life Episode 3.
Change the setting from a ship to an oil rig and it looks a hell of a lot like Blackout from the new Halo 3 map pack as well. Take away the ice and it looks like the opening level/Wet Work map from COD4. Late night arctic shipping settings the new bloom lighting?

harSon

Banned
Ken Masters said:
so Epic is going to make money of a guys work, and they don't give him any credit and ban his ass?

not surprised at all

Yes, he was the first man in existence to make a multi player map taking place on a cargo ship in the arctic.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Zezboob said:
Too much people overreacting about something that is not really clear....

This is the only correct post in this thread. Hahaha, damn you people flip out over things so easily.

FoxSpirit

GenericPseudonym said:
Modders piss all over copyright laws because their mods don't make a profit, and then bitch about their rights to the stuff they modded?

That's only partially true as is the case with the Spacemarine or Old MGS 4 Snake player models. In those cases the owner of that content is the respective copyright owner of the original.

But if you make original content then this belongs to you. To quote charlequin : "
Again, EULAs can't actually make an end run around basic copyright law. No tool can require the person who uses it to give up their rights to the material created with that tool."

If it did it wouldn't stand a chance in court. Copyright Law is very strict in that matter... fortunately.

Kafel

Banned
medium_ps3_paris_by_bliss_131.jpg

Epic, I want to fight on THIS boat.

Thx.

rezuth

See this is why I love Valve, not only do they hire the most passoninate people making mods for their games but they support their own games for years to come after release. All hail Valve!

Recoil

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Epic hasn't done anything wrong,
If the layout was the same he'd have a point but just the weater and the location, fuck him

Seriously. It's a cargo boat in the middle of the fucking arctic.

Do you guys really want to tell me this guy invented cargo ships? And the Arctic?

No? Then STFU.

If the layout was EXACTLY the same, and they were ripping off his art assets, then you might have a point. But it isn't and they aren't.

NeoGAF groupthink stupidity at its best.

FoxSpirit

Zezboob said:
Too much people overreacting about something that is not really clear....

That's not true. It's very clear that Epic behaved lousily. The matter isn't even really the "they stole it from him" but rather... he said they did, they banned him and deleted all his post dealing with this subject matter.

That's an awful reaction, that's clear and speaks very badly for a company. In an average business, such news could seriously endanger you relations with your other partners. They are so lucky that this is "just" the modding community and the people who just leech the stuff and profit from it will mostly shrug. Just one mod less to download, so what?

I'm interested to see if anything will come from this.

Top Bottom