• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom, Black Cat & other highly anticipated Spidey spinoffs NOT set in MCU

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/878995450354913280

@ErikDavis
FYI: Just spoke w/ Amy Pascal & Kevin Feige who clarified that Venom, Black Cat, etc are in the Marvel comics universe but not the MCU

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/878995644387602432

@ErikDavis
Pascal said she was itching to clarify that after the story this week. Those other movies will not take place in the MCU

So, nah.
DCnHW2kXkAA2DRV.jpg

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
@ErikDavis
FYI: Just spoke w/ Amy Pascal & Kevin Feige who clarified that Venom, Black Cat, etc are in the Marvel comics universe but not the MCU

giphy.gif

So they are in their own universe, like we thought it would be?

What even is the Marvel Comics Universe but an obviously desperate attempt to abbreviate to MCU?

Breh. You can't make this shit up.

Im starting to think that marvel thinks they're not in the MCU but sony does, wonder if sony will just include MCU spiderman in these because they can

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Feige a.k.a Gods Son keeping his boundaries within what he can control. Smart, given Sony's record. No doubt this will further confuse the public though.

The Kree

Banned
This seems like further evidence that Pascal is not in on any of the decision making at all and she just doesn't know what's going on. She's getting a production credit on this as part of her severance compensation for getting dropped from Sony Pictures after the Sony hacks nuked her career there, but she's clueless. A producer who was actually involved in all of this would know better.

Boke1879

Im starting to think that marvel thinks they're not in the MCU but sony does, wonder if sony will just include MCU spiderman in these because they can

Isn't Holland contracted with Sony? isn't Homecoming pretty much a Sony movie? Both companies just made a deal to share characters for this right?

HeatBoost

Are these... really highly anticipated?

There is an issue with these big "shared universe" movies where I feel that they are taking the alleged notoriety of characters for granted. I know people are sick of origin movies, but
you can't just go "Black Cat movie!" and expect people to give a shit. You need to spend a movie demonstrating 1) How she is not just Catwoman (even though on several levels she is) and 2) Why anyone would care. That was part of Man of Steel's problem, it relied too much on the pre-established name and identity of Superman instead of demonstrating "Hey! This guy is Superman" so he didn't feel anywhere near as heroic

You could maybe make a neat R-Rated Venom movie that takes place in the "real world" where the person who gets the alien tries to be like his favorite fictional superhero, Spider-Man at first but eventually starts killing the shit out of people, though

This seems like further evidence that Pascal is not in on any of the decision making at all and she just doesn't know what's going on. She's getting a production credit on this as part of her severance compensation for getting dropped from Sony Pictures after the Sony hacks nuked her career there, but she's clueless. A producer who was actually involved in all of this would know better.

Avi1.jpg

Sony gonna be sony. God what a mess, a black cat film, without at least some kind of Spidey connection would not really work that well, and all their other ideas sound weak and depressing. I doubt Fiege is happy about any of this.

Slayven

Not saying it'll be good or bad. But some here think it's outrageous that a Venom movie is hyped.

I've seen tons of hype for from people love Marvel comics.
I just don't see how a venom movie without Spiderman would be any good, it would be like doing a lex Luther movie without superman

SpaceWolf

Banned
THANK.

GOD.

Now jettison that awful Mysterio spin-off idea and put the character in the Homecoming sequel, played by Bob Odenkirk.

Fury451

Banned
So with or without Spidey then? I'm guessing without since he's with the MCU at the moment. But then we're back to Sony's "let's build a universe without our title character" scheme.

So Marvel now has 4 Marvel universes. Smart.

Marvel coming after DC's Infinite Earth's schtick.

molnizzle

I don't understand how these movies can be in the same universe as Spider-Man: Homecoming but not be in the MCU. Is Doctor Strange about to send Spider-Man to another dimension or something? Fuck is going on here!?

The Kree

Banned
I don't understand how these movies can be in the same universe as Spider-Man: Homecoming but not be in the MCU. Is Doctor Strange about to send Spider-Man to another dimension or something? Fuck is going on here!?

They can't and they're not going to be. Nothing is going on. Sony is making Spider-Man villain movies without Spider-Man. That's it.

Top Bottom