• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Xbox One outed - exclusive for X1 employees.

Kuroyume

Banned
Red consoles > *

Although I've never personally owned one.

Actually I think the white XBOX 1 is ugly. Looks tacky. Not that the black one is so great.

FZZ

Banned
The reason people like new colors so much is that they see so much of the standard color that it pretty much becomes over saturated in our thoughts, so a new color looks more fresh to us.

I really hope a white SKU hits the shelf sooner or later. Looks much better than it's black counterpart.
XB1 launches in white in an alternate universe:

"I really hope a black SKU hits the shelf sooner or later. Looks much better than it's white counterpart."

Madness

Why wouldn't they release this instead? It looks a million times better than the black. And also somewhat touches back on the Xbox 360 launch as well. More variety is better. Want to make it unique for employees? Make it have special green markings or something.

Edit: I've never really liked black consoles. Grey NES, Grey/Purple SNES, Sega Genesis was black, PSX was grey, Gamecube was purple, Xbox OG was black, Xbox 360 (white premium, black elite, black slim).

Isn't the worked-up spectacle of a "Day One Edition preorder achievement" almost meaningless if they go and give away multiple other limited time achievements to only Microsoft employees and very small events?
Just as they did with Xbox 360 launch, multiple achievements.

I also have a feeling this special achievement employees get will be part of the "Microsoft Store" achievement list that Day One Edition digital preorder users now have, rendering all achievements in the "Microsoft Store" list impossible to obtain unless you work for Microsoft. That is, if it isn't the same "Day One" achievement that normal people are getting, which it probably isn't.

And I'm sure the white will be released later on in 2014 or around. The "branding" color for the Xbox 360 was white, so white was the only one available for a little while if I recall. And then black was introduced as an "elite" premium model. The opposite may happen here. White Kinect-less "core gamer" SKU? Possibly.

The reason people like new colors so much is that they see so much of the standard color that it pretty much becomes over saturated in our thoughts, so a new color looks more fresh to us.

Nah, it's that white + minimalist box looks more futuristic than two toned black VCR from the 90s. White sleek electronics and home furnishings in general always give off that "space age" vibe.

ActionMan

Can't say I like it. I could swear I've seen a desktop PC (Compaq?) that looked just like that, with the CD tray, ventilation grooves and everything. Hope the plastic doesn't turn beige-yellowish over time, too.

Copenap

It would look weird with black TVs, I guess.

Good point, it looks a bit weird on that picture right next to each other but really makes sense in a real tv set up.

Btw. could it be that people always want the the color for entertainement devices, that is not available? ^^

Really looks slick though.

JawzPause

Looks much better than the retail version, and the same goes for the ps4.
Shame they both aren't releasing a white version at launch.

cormack12

Gold Member
Will probably be loads on ebay when the MS employees get their PS4's j/k :)

White is just a fad to be honest. Black is pretty timeless. Not many things age well that are white - except Apple stuff (because that's their signature). I'm happy with both in black, although I'm not a fan of the piano-black dust magnet.

Having said that, it's clear that white is very much 'in' at the moment. Makes no sense why Microsoft would have something desirable limited to their employees, when by all accounts they are lagging behind with pre-orders. It's clear that something of this ilk could give a very healthy boost to those numbers.

Toki767

White looks so much nicer.

I bet it's only a matter of time before Sony starts sending out custom PS4s to developers.

Kvikmyndahús;78348265 said:
They should have some sort of salary sacrifice for Xbox Live subscription, on a massively discounted employees price. Only 1 year free doesn't feel right.

So an employee gets paid $60 less a year? What would be the point? We're not talking a thousand dollars a year.

big_z

That looks fantastic. I know Microsoft employees read gaf, if one of you can hook me up with a white x1 send me a pm.

Yaqoub

I like it, defines its design more I think, makes the lines "pop". Given the choice I'd still stick with a black unit though.

Dat "Tier S" treatment...

Top Bottom