• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
seb said:
I don't really care about the look, but I know I'm on the market for a wii without motion control to play xenoblade and DQX. If they were clever they would release a pack with a wii-cheap + classic controller only.
I'm on the market for a wii without power cables. Think of all the energy it could save.

AniHawk

Jocchan said:
Shoot every case with a shotgun. Each would have unique bullet holes, making some configurations collectible items, and would appease the CoD crowd.

johnson, i like the way you think.

ciaossu said:
Non-savvy consumers are going to be very confused when they attempt to buy Nintendo hardware...

The WiiU-style name should go to the Wii redesign, a la Playstation -> PSone

And the WiiU should be named something completely different.

Oh well.

If people think the Wii U name will confuse people, this model having a Wii _ name will confuse the market even more.

Ydahs said:
Hope it's not too late for a WiiU redesign. I just don't like the look of it :|
Me either.

Not clean enough, too many slots and too much text.
And it's not sleek like its skinny younger brother.

seb

Banned
abstract alien said:
How would this even...ah never mind. I'm going to assume I'm missing something since its 5:15am here lol

What's so strange ? I was not interested in a wii before, but now with xenoblade, the last story and dq10 upcoming, it's back on my radar big time. Since I assumed these games don't require a wii mote, I don't want to pay for one.

MYE

Xun said:
The only games I play on the Wii are GameCube games.

Biggest waste of money I've ever spent.

Maybe playing Wii games on it is a good idea?!
Just saying.
seb said:
I don't really care about the look, but I know I'm on the market for a wii without motion control to play xenoblade and DQX. If they were clever they would release a pack with a wii-cheap + classic controller only.

LOL

Michan

Diffense said:
Sure, it's a nice gesture but I'm not going to assign more value to it than it deserves.
Nintendo is giving away stuff it can afford to give away...decades old ROM dumps.
They're doing it to save face not to attempt to reimburse me in any way.
Why would they reimburse you? No other company would, unless perhaps it was defective. And as I said, most other companies would give you nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders for being an early adopter.

Diffense said:
BTW, 3DS hardware is not updated...it's the same thing just quite a bit cheaper.
And the price was dropped before there was any significant enjoyment of early adoption since there were very few AA games and even a tremendously delayed shop channel and browser.
Never said the hardware was revised, just made the comparison since it was their other option and one which many hardware companies adopt.

The software lineup, as well as the scheduled date of launch for the e-Shop, was readily available before you purchased your 3DS. You knew Zelda, Star Fox, and Steel Diver were on their way, and third parties had published their release schedules. Nothing changed. Mario Kart remained a holiday release, Mario 3D Land was expected before the next FY.

All of this information was available to you, just as it was to those who purchased the DS (arguably an even worse launch than 3DS). If there wasn't content that interested you, you should have waited.

I purchased the 3DS on the day of its release, being well aware of the software lineup. The reason I bought it was because I found it at a comparatively great price and assumed I wouldn't pay any less for it before the big first party games released. If not for this belief, I would have skipped day one (my first time for a Nintendo platform), as I wasn't going to kid myself about the visibly lacklustre software lineup.

Diffense said:
It turns out that the original Wii might have been 'designed for me to ignore' as well. I was just too much of a starry-eyed fan at the time to notice...lol
Nah. They launched with Zelda and Excite Truck, which were both pretty "hardcore." Metroid, Brawl, Galaxy, and other "fan favourites" (such as Wario Ware) came not long after and at a steady pace. You weren't disillusioned at all: the Wii launch was superb.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
seb said:
What's so strange ? I was not interested in a wii before, but now with xenoblade, the last story and dq10 upcoming, it's back on my radar big time. Since I assumed these games don't require a wii mote, I don't want to pay for one.
Well, for one the classic controller plugs into the Wiimote (so it doesn't have to require additional batteries or Bluetooth circuitry).

Michan said:
Nah. They launched with Zelda and Excite Truck, which were both pretty "hardcore." Metroid, Brawl, Galaxy, and other "fan favourites" (such as Wario Ware) came not long after and at a steady pace. You weren't disillusioned at all: the Wii launch was superb.
Yep. Software releases started drying out in 2008, but the first few years were quite good.

Michan

Ydahs said:
Hope it's not too late for a WiiU redesign. I just don't like the look of it :|
That's probably the main reason they didn't make a big point of showing it off. The design is clearly premature, likely because they are still determining the inner components.

Wii U will absolutely look different from what we saw at E3, and more different than Wii. No doubt about it.

seb

Banned
Jocchan said:
Well, for one the classic controller plugs into the Wiimote (so it doesn't have to require additional batteries or Bluetooth circuitry).
fuck! thanks for the heads up, I was that close to buy a wii with a broken wiimote on ebay! LOL indeed.

Medalion

Banned
Michan said:
That's probably the main reason they didn't make a big point of showing it off. The design is clearly premature, likely because they are still determining the inner components.

Wii U will absolutely look different from what we saw at E3, and more different than Wii. No doubt about it.
I wouldn't get yer hopes up about the Wii U looking much different

AniHawk

Michan said:

hasn't there kinda been zero precedent for this? only thing i can think of is the proto ds -> original ds.

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
hasn't there kinda been zero precedent for this? only thing i can think of is the proto ds -> original ds.

Even the 3DS 40% price drop after 6 months was without precedents. The alternative is to hide the hardware and show only the controller. :lol

So wait, is this model taking over for the original completely? And a big WTF to Nintendo for releasing a redesign that takes away features and doesn't even bother to upgrade the incredibly meager storage capacity.

AniHawk

Cygnus X-1 said:
Even the 3DS 40% price drop after 6 months was without precedents. The alternative is to hide the hardware and show only the controller. :lol

well the price drop being that steep was kinda unheard of (don't feel like going back through decades of video game history to find out), but the ds had its first price drop in the first few months after its release as well, although it was only $20 and not $80.

Michan

Medalion said:
I wouldn't get yer hopes up about the Wii U looking much different
I'm not "hopeful" about it looking different, but I would definitely prefer for it to look very nice, as I'm sure everybody else is.

Nintendo made the mistake of making the 3DS very similar in design to the DS, and it is widely perceived by the average joe that this is nothing more than another update to the DS series.

Although you could argue that the focus with Wii U will be on the tablet controller and the hardware design therefore does not matter, I think Nintendo will want to make sure there is no chance of this happening again.

"I already have a Wii. Why can't I buy the tablet separately?"

The last thing Iwata would want is a window seat.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
So wait, is this model taking over for the original completely? And a big WTF to Nintendo for releasing a redesign that takes away features and doesn't even bother to upgrade the incredibly meager storage capacity.

I think it will, at least eventually. Did the same with GameCube, after all.

I was waiting to see if there was a Zelda Bundle with a special color Wii but it would probably be this model. Is it possible to find the Red Wii for $150?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
GrotesqueBeauty said:

Nintendo always does this. Dropping GBA support from the DSi, dropping the digital out on the Cube, dropping the headphone jack from the GBASP, dropping GB/GBC support from the Game Boy Micro. They love cost cutting.

Xun

MYE said:
Maybe playing Wii games on it is a good idea?!
Just saying.
That's the thing nothing took my fancy at all.

I have a bunch of Wii games but I simply never play them.

Super Mario Galaxy however is pure gold and I'm eagerly awaiting Skyward Sword.

Pooya

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Yes, in Europe at least.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-nintendo-discontinuing-current-wii-model
The current Wii console is to be fazed out in Europe, Nintendo has told Eurogamer. It will be replaced by the just-announced new Wii design.

"In Europe we will focus on the new Wii Bundle/s going forward," Nintendo confirmed.

The company has announced it will launch the new model in time for Christmas. It comes with Wii Sports and Wii Play packed-in.

FyreWulff

JimboJones said:
I actually thought they would have removed the GC stuff a lot sooner than this.

Me too. Surprised they hung onto the GameCube hardware for this long, they already dropped it for Korean Wiis.

Oh well, GameCube had a good 10 year run, even though the last 5 years were inside another console

Raist

Banned
Loooks... exactly the same? Oh wait the logo has moved.

BC removal heh? So is Nintendo going to get as much shit as Sony did?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
storl026 said:
It's pointless to redesign a system that you have no intention of supporting anymore.

No it isn't. Just like with the PS2 and PS1 there will always be a market for a family game console, especially in territories outside the EU/US/Japan. Why not cut costs and put out a cheaper model?

Cygnus X-1

Xun said:
That's the thing nothing took my fancy at all.

I have a bunch of Wii games but I simply never play them.

Super Mario Galaxy however is pure gold and I'm eagerly awaiting Skyward Sword.

Did you play Galaxy 2? Even better than the original. And I would not miss Metroid Prime Trilogy if you can find one copy.

Xun

FyreWulff said:
Me too. Surprised they hung onto the GameCube hardware for this long, they already dropped it for Korean Wiis.

Oh well, GameCube had a good 10 year run, even though the last 5 years were inside another console :p
The GameCube will forever live on in the Wii because that's all it truly is.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Did you play Galaxy 2? Even better than the original. And I would not miss Metroid Prime Trilogy if you can find one copy.
No actually, but that was down to my lack of time when the game came out.

I've still yet to fully complete the first game either.

Diffense

Michan said:
Why would they reimburse you?

I never said they should reimburse me.
But I'm not going to pretend a few ROM dumps is this BIG THING worth $80.
I'll take them since they're better than nothing but they're not going to make me forget that I should have waited.
I was planning to wait but ended up buying one on impulse because I was bored and wanted to check out the 3D effect.

I played Zelda on my Gamecube where it belonged.
I had nothing for Wii until Galaxy/Brawl/Metroid.

Cygnus X-1

storl026 said:
It's pointless to redesign a system that you have no intention of supporting anymore.

"you have no intention to support anymore"?

Did you look at the line-up for this fall and early next year? Doesn't really look like a bad 5 and 6-year software line-up to me. It is better than last year.

Xun said:

There is more creativity in some levels of Galaxy 2 than in most full-finished games out there. You can miss all the rest if you want, but I really recommend you Galaxy 2.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Xun said:

k263303_spiderman_neat.jpg

Cygnus X-1

slick7rick said:
i still havent played the super mario galaxy games. i would buy a sub-$99 wii just to play em.

Did you play Sunshine back on the Gamecube?

Well, Galaxy 1 and 2 make right every single little thing that felt so wrong in Sunshine.

Xun said:

you clearly should sell your Wii, you can spend it to help people at horn of africa.

Well, poop. Also, no Gamecube controllers is bullshit, considering a lot of Wii games have a control option for them.
and like 1 out of 100 wii owners have one of those controllers?

it's pretty clear only an extremely tiny portion will buy Wii for its BC from now own, and it was the most useless feature to get cut, how else did you expect them to reduce the price?

Michan

AniHawk said:
Pretty much all of the Nintendo systems released went through some kind of re-design or re-brand from announcement to release.

NES received some major adjustments in the eyes of the public:
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes1.jpg
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes5.jpg
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes19.jpg
Japan final: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/FamicomConsole.png
U.S./Europe final: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...png/800px-NES-console-with-controller-png.png

SNES received three public redesigns before launch:
From http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes3.jpg
To http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes6.jpg
To http://www.cvgm.net/static/media/platform/image/Super_Nintendo_and_Famicom_thumb.jpg (Japan/Europe)
And finally http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/25/176100-snes_sys_large.jpg for North America

Ultra 64 had some adjustments to its controller and name:
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes29.jpg to http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...N64-Console-Set.png/800px-N64-Console-Set.png

Dolphin received the same treatment as the N64, with some minor changes to the system's disc drive, grills, and open button:
First controller reveal: http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/protoboxes28.jpg
Updated controller: http://a2.idata.over-blog.com/375x281/1/27/40/16/Prototypes/Gamecube-proto-2.jpg
Final controller: http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/8/80/GCCont.jpg
Hardware comparison: http://www.samurainintendo.com/system/images/designs.jpg

Revolution became Wii, with a couple of tiny adjustments to the front of the console:
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image...nintendo-revolution-faq-20050525023041926.jpg

Nintendo DS changed, as you suggested, with the final revision updated from mono to stereo sound, but 3DS, as well as most of Nintendo's other portables, didn't change in the eyes of the public.

Bear in mind that not only has every new Nintendo home platform received minor to substantial design updates, but there is a lot more at stake here than there ever has been. The company will have learned an awful lot from the launch of the 3DS.

Xdrive05

Why is GC support even an issue? I thought the Wii chipset uses basically the same hardware as GC, so they downclock when running GC disks? So it's free BC? Weird thing to slash IMO.

But the real problem - it looks the same, or worse. This will fail if not priced at LESS than $99.

Diffense

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Well, poop. Also, no Gamecube controllers is bullshit, considering a lot of Wii games have a control option for them.

That's my main problem with it.
GC controllers were not just for BC.
I never play Mario Kart with anything but my wavebird.

Why is GC support even an issue? I thought the Wii chipset uses basically the same hardware as GC, so they downclock when running GC disks? So it's free BC? Weird thing to slash IMO.

The only theory I have is that it may simplify the disc drive making it cheaper and more reliable.
That's the only way it could be justified IMO.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Diffense said:
The only theory I have is that it may simplify the disc drive making it cheaper and more reliable.
That's the only way it could be justified IMO.
Cheaper disc drive and removal of controller/memory card ports and circuitry, mainly.

Xun

Cygnus X-1 said:
There is more creativity in some levels of Galaxy 2 than in most full-finished games out there. You can miss all the rest if you want, but I really recommend you Galaxy 2.
Yeah I'll probably pick it up.

I did always want to get it, but it was one of those games that fell off the radar for me.

AniHawk said:

This has happened for every single console in existence to some extent. In fact, there's no precedent for this ever not happening.

DonMigs85

Probably late to ask this, but it doesn't appear to come with a stand anymore?
Looks like they really want it oriented horizontally.

DonMigs85

Nuclear Muffin said:
This has happened for every single console in existence to some extent. In fact, there's no precedent for this ever not happening.
Maybe not the N64... It only got translucent iMac shells later on, but the innards were the same.

Top Bottom