• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wildstar? “You’re Gonna Find Out, Cupcake”

Zaph

I've noticed not many GAFers are talking about Wildstar. This thread has been on the same page for the past 3 days, meanwhile the FFXIV one just started their 4th/5th OT. I hope this isn't an indication of what to expect in terms of population when the game goes live.
AFAIK, Wildstar is the only major original-IP MMO (and possibly the last) to launch with a sub since The Secret World (which didn't exactly set the world on fire).

It was always going to have an uphill struggle for attention.

I've noticed not many GAFers are talking about Wildstar. This thread has been on the same page for the past 3 days, meanwhile the FFXIV one just started their 4th/5th OT. I hope this isn't an indication of what to expect in terms of population when the game goes live.

of course XIV is going to have more popular it's FF and it's out and all. also the thread title doesn't. should throw in beta or something or mention it's an MMO.

Anyone in the GAF guild around for an invite at the moment?

I would also highly appreciate a controlled mod, either with 360 or PS4 controller support, I played tons of Guild Wars 2 with one.

I can log on, do you need a guild invite?

of course XIV is going to have more popular it's FF and it's out and all. also the thread title doesn't. should throw in beta or something or mention it's an MMO.

Yeah i wish we could throw more information in the first post and get a better title, but we may have to wait until the OT.

TheYanger

I'm having a blast with Wildstar as of now, it reminds me the good old times with Vanilla WoW. I wish it could have a more open world (I hate when the zones are instanced).

Unfortunately, all of my friends, who were hardcore WoW players for many years (we all got bored at some point) and who are always trying to find "the" new MMO, tried it last beta weekend and played like 2 hours and told me the game sucks hard because it's basically more of the same but with less things to do, ugliest and brain-dead.

Honestly, I hear many MMO players having the same opinion and while I like it a lot, I don't think Wildstar will be a success.

It's definitely a struggle to get people to stick around long enough to 'get' what makes it different. The tutorial needs to be easy and tutorial like, but when Wildstar is easy, it really is just like a wow vanilla/BC era clone. It's only when the combat gets crazy (past level say, 15 at least, or in dungeons etc) that it becomes apparent what exactly is so different from other MMOs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I can log on, do you need a guild invite?

Yeah i wish we could throw more information in the first post and get a better title, but we may have to wait until the OT.

I was on, just got DC'd because I ventured too close to Grim's Lumber Mill and the [Breakout] quest wherein a Slaver shack is bugged so it keeps spawning smoke ontop of smoke when burned down so it crashes people who get too close. :D

I'm on again, character name is Gera.

erawsd

I'm having a blast with Wildstar as of now, it reminds me the good old times with Vanilla WoW. I wish it could have a more open world (I hate when the zones are instanced).

Unfortunately, all of my friends, who were hardcore WoW players for many years (we all got bored at some point) and who are always trying to find "the" new MMO, tried it last beta weekend and played like 2 hours and told me the game sucks hard because it's basically more of the same but with less things to do, ugliest and brain-dead.

Honestly, I hear many MMO players having the same opinion and while I like it a lot, I don't think Wildstar will be a success.

I think it all depends on how quickly NCsoft is demanding a return. I agree that this won't be a breakout hit but that doesn't mean it can't eventually be successful and turn a profit.

A lot of MMOs crumble or go F2P quickly because, unlike the old days, no one is willing to give them a chance to mature and find a loyal userbase. FFXI is the most profitable Final Fantasy game of all time and it never really had more than half a million subs. FFXIV was built with a similar goal of large profits over time.

Pat

It's definitely a struggle to get people to stick around long enough to 'get' what makes it different. The tutorial needs to be easy and tutorial like, but when Wildstar is easy, it really is just like a wow vanilla/BC era clone. It's only when the combat gets crazy (past level say, 15 at least, or in dungeons etc) that it becomes apparent what exactly is so different from other MMOs.

True. They should think of a way to get past the beginning because it's not fun and does not represent past level 10.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really hope this "feels" better than the last time I tried it on beta... god I was so disapointed, one of my most wanted games in ages (I love cartoony art and I usually at least play the first month of every mmo), but this one felt so... off when I played it. Still hoping it turns out better, people say the final ESO played a lot better thna the beta

TheYanger

I really hope this "feels" better than the last time I tried it on beta... god I was so disapointed, one of my most wanted games in ages (I love cartoony art and I usually at least play the first month of every mmo), but this one felt so... off when I played it. Still hoping it turns out better, people say the final ESO played a lot better thna the beta

Well, depends on what you mean by feel I guess. I mean, I always thoguht the game felt extremely snappy and responsive, especially if you compare to many other mmos where you hit a button and your character becomes planted to the floor or things of the like. I would rate the actual 'feel' of the game right up there with wow - hitting buttons does what it feels like you want them to do.

If that's not what you mean, no idea maybe we can help answer though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This area and quest is the bane of graphics cards at the moment as the smoke particles spawn over and over. My FPS when looking at that was approx. 2.
ibzI5MX93xDi6g.png

iCiKQCgdRn9mw.jpg

Luckily though, found the console command that reduces particle density!!

Code:
/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("spell.visualSuppression",0.9)

Reducing that to 0.5 helps a ton seriously.

Dec

Well, depends on what you mean by feel I guess. I mean, I always thoguht the game felt extremely snappy and responsive, especially if you compare to many other mmos where you hit a button and your character becomes planted to the floor or things of the like. I would rate the actual 'feel' of the game right up there with wow - hitting buttons does what it feels like you want them to do.

If that's not what you mean, no idea maybe we can help answer though.

Planting your character to the ground when attacking is purely a choice the developer has made and in my opinion is better than the super floaty combat this and Guild Wars 2 employ.

jasonng

When reviving from the graveyard I get that snide comment from the narrator(?), "Oh look, it's our frequent costumer!"

The humor has me sold.

WildStar seems the perfect game for me. I'm someone with little MMO background looking to casually jump back into the scene and the look,sci-fi theme, and gameplay is hitting all the right buttons for me. I don't think there's a lot of people in my positions and veterans of the genre are probably going to be exhausted by WildStar's features. But goddammit, I'm having so much fun. I really hope this game takes off.

TheYanger

I think the main feature that you simply can't see until you level some, besides just the basics of how combat actually works, is that the game is ACTUALLY challenging in a way MMOs really haven't been in...maybe ever?

I think the main feature that you simply can't see until you level some, besides just the basics of how combat actually works, is that the game is ACTUALLY challenging in a way MMOs really haven't been in...maybe ever?

That should be helped in the next patch. There's a strange glitch in the current build that has creatures being weaker than they should be. Usually there's more of a challenge. For me the selling feature at 15 is housing. It's awesome.

LowParry

I agree with earlier posts. I've been trying to sell this game to my friends to play. But the early level stuff is just so bland and blah. I was immediately sold when I did my first dungeon. Completely hooked. And I haven't even touched crafting or housing yet.

Nakor

Planting your character to the ground when attacking is purely a choice the developer has made and in my opinion is better than the super floaty combat this and Guild Wars 2 employ.

Entirely agree with this. Floaty combat is what turned me away from Guild Wars 2, and it's what caused me to give up on the last beta weekend after a day of play. I tried to shake the feeling, tried different classes, to no avail.

Got to lvl 15 and I don't know. I know it's a beta so I'm not counting the bugs like empty or broken text boxes, chat windows, etc against it, but the game design just seems poor. Quest hubs are sporadic, mob placement is poorly done with "elite" mobs right next to quest mobs. Targeting is terrible with tab rarely even selecting a mob hitting me in the face.

Everything I read says the game starts to shine in dungeons but it seems like a pretty big chore to even get to the first one.

Got to lvl 15 and I don't know. I know it's a beta so I'm not counting the bugs like empty or broken text boxes, chat windows, etc against it, but the game design just seems poor. Quest hubs are sporadic, mob placement is poorly done with "elite" mobs right next to quest mobs. Targeting is terrible with tab rarely even selecting a mob hitting me in the face.

Everything I read says the game starts to shine in dungeons but it seems like a pretty big chore to even get to the first one.

I've not run into sporadic quest hubs on the exile side, and the targeting likely a bug, but I haven't found the mob placement poor. It's actually pretty deliberate. More challenging mobs provide more percentage towards completion of quests, so I've just found it more about not just running right into a mob and attacking without first looking at it to see how challenging I think it might be. Playing well, I've been able to defeat each one I've fought. It was always close, but I was able to do it. Now, I did die a bit before I started actually checking mobs before running right at them.

TheYanger

I'm confused what you're using Tab for to select targets in the first place.

Music's nice, but everything else feels so "done before." It's one of the few video games out that tries to play around with a "Wild West" setting, though

KePoW

Banned

The title is really stupid. What does "You're Gonna Find Out, Cupcake" even mean??

That tells me nothing about the game or even what type/genre it is.

LowParry

Why are you tabbing?

The title is really stupid. What does "You're Gonna Find Out, Cupcake" even mean??

That tells me nothing about the game or even what type/genre it is.

It's a quote from the narrator in the "What is Wildstar?" video. It was fine at first, but if we're wanting this thread to be for info and discussion it really doesn't fit.

I like what i've seen so far, and I can tell there is a rock solid foundation here. But, good god, that UI was infuriating to work with.

Music's nice, but everything else feels so "done before." It's one of the few video games out that tries to play around with a "Wild West" setting, though

Definitely. I do agree that you see just what they are doing different in the first dungeon and the expectations they have of players, but early on it feels very samey. I feel they've been up front about that, though. They're going for a classic MMO style with the biggest change being the actual moment to moment gameplay that people are used to in WoW, i.e. having to be more mobile. Is it something other games have done? Sure, but they weren't capturing the other parts very well at all.

I've been on this MMO train since Ultima Online launched, so I've seen everything from sandboxes to themeparks to weird hybrids like The Secret World. I've done the Korean grind in Aion and TERA and the click to move man what am I doing of Lineage 2. That's only a smattering. I'm confident in saying that if a MMO has released that was considered "major" I've purchased and played it. So Wildstar was definitely going to get played by me, regardless. Why I've found it enjoyable is because it knows where to push and where to keep things familiar. For some people, familiar isn't interesting anymore, and that's totally fine. I'm personally looking forward to the focus on group content and doing end-game dungeons, raids and adventures.

The biggest problem for me is that aesthetically it looks waaaaay too similar to WOW. I played till MOP and just had enough, if I wan't the same setting I'll go back to WOW, but I doubt it.

Blitzhex

I love the Exile's 1-6 and the 6+ map map. Snow and mountains are freaking awesome, but I'm still rolling Dominion, Drakan are amazing. I hope there's a shared snowy mountainy map in the later levels.

Keasar

I prefer the Exiles myself. The rough underdog survivor faction always rings well with me as I don't mix well with elitism, aristocracy or casual war crimes. :p

Also:
FE5ykaJ.png

Exile mounts kick ass.

ktynn

Banned
Love the animation and attention to detail but man was i disappointed by the game's lighting and saturation... combat felt very responsive, sound design was slick. Gameplay felt very dated, almost no immersion for me, combat kept me going for quite a few levels but those uninspired 'quests' and dialog were rly hard to deal with...

I feel like the only reason Wildstar exists is due to a lack of localisation of far superior titles such as Blade&Soul, Archeage, Black Desert and PSO2.

I wonder what'll happen to this game; i wanted to love it, but i rly couldn't. I had the same feeling with ESO, i might aswell start playing WoW again after all those years...

broham

I feel like wildstar is going to be a jack of all trades. It's not banking everything on any one gimmick. It's trying to be a well rounded mmo.

Top Bottom