• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

Neiteio

Wow, fuck this, I was hell-bent on beating this game this weekend to break its spell on me so I could be super-productive this week, but I have a feeling I'll be thinking about this story for days...

I'm going to check out the Answers section in a moment.

Wow, that's cold.
What June did to the Cradle folks, I mean... Makes all of her cute moments a bit creepy... So where did she get the resources to stage this? And is she still Zero in VLR? Why would she be forcing people through the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition?
June's "cute" moments are all an act. She's manipulating Junpei right from the start to get him to help save her life. I don't blame her, but the "June" that we spend the game with is just a front. She's a good actress! And a stone cold killer. :p

Neiteio

I think I know why I can't get to the 999 site. I accidentally input the age gate wrong (forgot to change the year in my headache-induced mental fog). I tried clearing my browser's cookies but it's still not working. :-\

Neiteio

June's "cute" moments are all an act. She's manipulating Junpei right from the start to get him to help save her life. I don't blame her, but the "June" that we spend the game with is just a front. She's a good actress! And a stone cold killer. :p
Well,
maybe she's split personalities now after what happened to her? And are we to believe she no longer loves Junpei? Not that I'm sure how I feel about being loved by a killer, but then again she had to arrange... most of what happened in order for the timeline to work.

Also, I doubt the incinerator would've really went on in the present timeline... Although I guess it did, in the safe ending... Well damn, that's hardcore. The whole "element of danger is conducive to morphogentic field" angle?

And had Junpei, say, never come to the ship in the first place... Would June just fade from existence in the present or something, lol?

Neiteio

What do you think happened in the
safe ending?
Oh, holy shit,
I forgot how June disappeared when everything went awry in the incinerator in the safe ending

Still,
what's the starting point? Time paradoxes never make sense. If as a child you received help from someone in the future, then it's already predetermined that things will play out for that to happen all its own regardless, no? In fact, if I were child June, I would've been afraid to try and influence the future, because I had already seen that the future would pan out a certain way and save me. You wouldn't want to risk breaking a closed circuit, in other words -- a time loop.

Vibed

Well,
maybe she's split personalities now after what happened to her? And are we to believe she no longer loves Junpei? Not that I'm sure how I feel about being loved by a killer, but then again she had to arrange... most of what happened in order for the timeline to work.

Also, I doubt the incinerator would've really went on in the present timeline... Although I guess it did, in the safe ending... Well damn, that's hardcore. The whole "element of danger is conducive to morphogentic field" angle?

And had Junpei, say, never come to the ship in the first place... Would June just fade from existence in the present or something, lol?

She loves Junpei, but she was still manipulating his feelings for her to her advantage. Remember the scene Junpei misinterprets by the elevator? That takes a whole new meaning, doesn't it...

The fevers she has throughout the game are what happens when she starts to fade from existence because you're taking the wrong path to her salvation. She eventually full-on fades in the safe ending.

Oh, holy shit,
I forgot how June disappeared when everything went awry in the incinerator in the safe ending

Still,
what's the starting point? Time paradoxes never make sense. If as a child you received help from someone in the future, then it's already predetermined that things will play out for that to happen all its own regardless, no? In fact, if I were child June, I would've been afraid to try and influence the future, because I had already seen that the future would pan out a certain way and save me. You wouldn't want to risk breaking a closed circuit, in other words -- a time loop.

Each of the endings you see that isn't the true one is essentially young June going through the possible scenarios and backing up if they don't end well. At least, I think that's how it's explained.

Oh, holy shit,

Still,

June had to organize her salvation BECAUSE she had already seen that she organized her salvation. She couldn't have done anything else.

Also, I'm pretty sure her affection for Junpei is genuine. It's not really said anywhere but damn it I won't listen to anyone that says otherwise.

Neiteio

Regarding VLR (999 spoilers):
I really want Junpei to be in VLR so we can get some closure with Akane...

Appparently VLR is a second act, with a third act in mind, provided VLR do well enough (and it damn well better). I can only imagine that
a third act would bring all players together

Appparently VLR is a second act, with a third act in mind, provided VLR do well enough (and it damn well better). I can only imagine that

=(... =)... =(

This thread guys. This thread.

Psi

If you still can't get into the answers section, I can post the answer to what you're asking if you want.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
If you still can't get into the answers section, I can post the answer to what you're asking if you want.

Maybe he can try holding ALT and hitting refresh?

Or he can always try accessing it again with a different browser, if it still doesn't work?

Vibed

Isn't there some background to the plot that's explained in the answers section that was never alluded to in the game? It referred to the
game's origin.

Neiteio

Maybe he can try holding ALT and hitting refresh?

Or he can always try accessing it again with a different browser, if it still doesn't work?
I got it now. I'm on #45. :)

I love how Neiteio loved a fake version of June....I loved her too. :-(
I'm... conflicted about her. I think she's insane, frankly... Like her loving childhood self is still buried inside of her, and in a way she reverts to her old self when around Junpei, but otherwise she withdraws into this dark and twisted shell she created to save herself from a time paradox -- and in her zeal to do that, she commits evil on others... I really wanted them to end up together, though. :(

Isn't there some background to the plot that's explained in the answers section that was never alluded to in the game? It referred to the
game's origin.
Yes, this:

From the website: "We sort of made Nagisa Nijisaki wear Snake's clothes... I believe the only other thing he could have worn were those ceremonial clothes in Building Q. I think Akane and Santa felt bad that they made Snake naked. As a side note, that ceremonial outfit belonged to Gordain. Back in the day, he and his friends were conducting strange ceremonies in the incinerator. As another side note, the Nonary Game wasn't Gentarou's idea: It was Gordain's. He would take young Englishmen who'd accumulated massive debts and force them to play games on the ship. He would enjoy the show with his millionaire friends and they would bet money on who would survive. All the losers were burned in the incinerator as a sacrifice during the ceremony... After many years of this, Gordain died of old age but the games continued. In the final game, Gentarou was abducted and forced to participate. He was victorious, and felt that if he could win the game, then he could come up with a better one. he told Gordain's successor and his fellow millionaires as much. They decided it sounded interesting, and told him to do it. That was what lead to the Nonary Game that happened 9 years before 999. Of course, Gentarou's true intention was to test the theory of morphogenetic fields, but that was the story behind the Nonary game. He inherited the ship from the millionaires and hosted the game. That was how he got all the funding as well. In other words, there were millionaires watching the game 9 years before 999 and placing bets on who would live and who would die. Yes, they were truly rotten people. That was also when Gentarou found the mandrake root in the coffin. He used that root to create the drug, Soporil, that made him a millionaire."

Insane the author just saved that bit of background for a website FAQ!

Another bit, about the author's favorite character:

From the website: "I guess my favorite would be Akane. My intention was to create the world's worst heroine, but how well did that work out? She's pretty bad, but there's still some sense of purity in her, and she's also noble. I guess...you could categorize her as a genius... Her motives are too grand in scale for an ordinary person to ever understand her. I love all of my characters, though."

Omikaru

I've enjoyed vicariously re-living my first play the game through your posts in this thread, Neiteio. Thanks. :D

My brother's playing my copy of 999 right now. He sent me a "HOLY SHIT" text about an hour ago, after unlocking one of the endings. I'm sure you all know which one.
The axe ending.

Neiteio

On the website's Answers page, the author said the characters in 999 were originally drawn at 1024 x 768. PC version, please??

Neiteio

You know, reading the Q&A with the creator on the website and seeing his semi-frequent references to Star Wars, I can't help but wonder if
the concept of communicating across time and space via a morphogenetic field was, in a way, inspired by the Force in Star Wars? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised that it's a real pseudo-scientific concept, but in terms of function it's sort of a "Luke... Leia" on Cloud City type of deal.

Necrovex

I've enjoyed vicariously re-living my first play the game through your posts in this thread, Neiteio. Thanks. :D

My brother's playing my copy of 999 right now. He sent me a "HOLY SHIT" text about an hour ago, after unlocking one of the endings. I'm sure you all know which one.
The axe ending.

2D art at its finest.

Another bit, about the author's favorite character:

From the website: "I guess my favorite would be Akane. My intention was to create the world's worst heroine, but how well did that work out? She's pretty bad, but there's still some sense of purity in her, and she's also noble. I guess...you could categorize her as a genius... Her motives are too grand in scale for an ordinary person to ever understand her. I love all of my characters, though."

Yeah. This sounds about right.

Keropon

Great, I've searched all over my connections and people but seems that 999 wasn't sold here in Chile.

GREAT.
I'll have to import a copy now.

This thread...

Ridley327

On the website's Answers page, the author said the characters in 999 were originally drawn at 1024 x 768. PC version, please??

999 really can't work on any other system than the DS, you know? I mean, it's probably the most hardware-specific game that I can think of.

Ridley327

Just display it in two panes like they did on the website's demo. :)

This shit would sell like hotcakes on Steam.

That really wouldn't help out with the final puzzle; the writer even mentioned that was really the reason why they had to make it for the DS.

Necrovex

999 really can't work on any other system than the DS, you know? I mean, it's probably the most hardware-specific game that I can think of.

Which is why I really want to know if VLR should be played on the 3DS or if it's fine to play on the Vita. I need the input!

GSR

Which is why I really want to know if VLR should be played on the 3DS or if it's fine to play on the Vita. I need the input!

From what I've heard they avoided doing any hardware-specific stuff this time because it was multiplat. Someone who's actually played VLR can confirm or refute that.

Ridley327

My understanding is that it doesn't feature any tricks like 999 had, which means you need to decide between trophies+hi-res visuals versus a nicer interface+legacy.

Ridley327

Well, it CAN be done, it just wouldn't be the same :S

Yeah; 999 is one of those games that I can't imagine having the same kind of impact on another platform, which really speaks well to how brilliantly utilized the hardware was for that game. For a system that's already lousy with terrific uses of the hardware, 999 is the only one that I can think of where it's used as an actual storytelling device. I can't even think of another game that's ever done that before.

hiryu64

Yeah; 999 is one of those games that I can't imagine having the same kind of impact on another platform, which really speaks well to how brilliantly utilized the hardware was for that game. For a system that's already lousy with terrific uses of the hardware, 999 is the only one that I can think of where it's used as an actual storytelling device. I can't even think of another game that's ever done that before.

Not that it matches the sheer scale and impact of 999, but the Stone of Agony from Ocarina of Time was a pretty neat way to incorporate the Rumble Pak into the game world.

Congrats Neiteio.

Reading your thoughts almost live since i'm late to the party was a pleaseant experience and helped remembering what i did when i got to that part ..

i guess you're one of us ..new member of the "i can't help but want to play VLR" to get more of it ..

i do plan to replay 9,9,9 before VLR arrives

There's nothing like that.

I would personally recommend the Vita version for screenshot capability, sharper visuals and large text.

You'll be doing a LOT of reading.

Neiteio

There's nothing like that.

I would personally recommend the Vita version for screenshot capability, sharper visuals and large text.

You'll be doing a LOT of reading.
3DS has the familiar two-screen form factor, stylus touch and -- my personal favorite -- autostereoscopic 3D. But yeah, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Keropon

Mexican here and I did the same. We'll probably need to do the same for VLR, I have no confidence of being able to find this anywhere in Latin America :|

In fact, a store here in Chile has the announcement of VLR but only in its Vita version.

gdamn. My 3DS needs a new game.

Also, Javier. I'll be sending you a PM if you don't mind, I wanna ask you something.

Tmdean

Banned

Devil Survivor and Trace Memory both integrated the DS hardware into their stories, though not in as much of a mindbending way as 999 did.

In those two games, the characters in the game possessed a DS-like device and, to borrow a word from film terminology, parts of the game interface were "diagetic". That is, some parts of the interface were presented as if you were the character in the game controlling their DS-like device. I thought it was in interesting storytelling tool, and something that could only really work for handheld games.

Necrovex

Devil Survivor and Trace Memory both integrated the DS hardware into their stories, though not in as much of a mindbending way as 999 did.

In those two games, the characters in the game possessed a DS-like device and, to borrow a word from film terminology, parts of the game interface were "diagetic". That is, some parts of the interface were presented as if you were the character in the game controlling their DS-like device. I thought it was in interesting storytelling tool, and something that could only really work for handheld games.

Another game we shouldn't forget that really used the DS hardware was Hotel Dusk.

Top Bottom