• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

duckroll

aoK2Y.png

Summary
- Fall
- 3DS / Vita retail / Vita PSN
- Dual language English / Japanese
- Sequel to 999. Called "Good People Die" in Japan.

EPIDEMIC ALERT: Japanese Adventure Game Strain Identified in North America
Thousands expected to succumb by year’s end

Regional Office of the International Disease Organization, Washington D.C. – IDO agents working in California report that preliminary findings indicate the exceedingly dangerous Japanese adventure game known as “Zennin Shiboudesu” has somehow crossed the Pacific. Attempts were made to contain it, but some carriers seem to have escaped the quarantine and are now at large.

This game is extremely virulent and can be transmitted through physical contact (via the dual “Nintendo 3DS™” and “PlayStation®Vita” retail vectors) as well as through the air (via the “PSN” vector), which has prompted the IDO to declare this a level 6 pandemic. All uninfected persons are advised to remain indoors and avoid contact with others. If you suspect you have been infected, or suspect a friend or family member of being infected, report, or have them report, to the nearest IDO quarantine facility.

Similarity to an earlier strain known as “Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors” has lead to a reclassification: Both strains will now be considered members of the “Zero Escape” game series. Exposure to North America also seems to have caused Zennin Shiboudesu to mutate, and after much deliberation it has been determined that it will be referred to in all future literature as “Virtue’s Last Reward” (see forthcoming department memo re: choice of strain name).

Virtue’s Last Reward—or, alternatively, “VLR”—has been known to exhibit the following symptoms. If you begin to display any of these, distance yourself from friends and loved ones immediately, and proceed at once to the nearest IDO center.

• Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.

• Puzzles and Story – Preliminary investigations show that this game progresses rapidly through a repeating cycle of two distinct stages, which have been termed the “Novel” and “Escape” stages. During the Novel stage, subjects find themselves engaged by a complex and mysterious story. During the Escape stage, subjects have been observed solving numerous puzzles.

• Fully-Voiced Novel Sections – One of the indicators of the Novel stage is reportedly fully-voiced dialog: All characters except for the protagonist can be heard speaking during this stage.

• Numerous Endings – VLR has been shown to exhibit numerous paths of infection, most of which are lethal. At press time, 24 different “endings” have been observed, each unique.

• Immersive Three-Dimensional Environment – Many infected patients have reported a feeling of increased immersion in their surroundings, often manifested in the ability to rotate the camera around a 3D room rendered in-game and select and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.

• Introduces New Characters, Brings Back Old Ones – Our files on 999 indicate that a number of the characters featured there appear again in VLR, although in what capacity is still unclear. This strain also introduces several new characters, all of whom merit additional investigation.

Akselziys said:
Regarding the series branding, "Zero Escape", both games will now be referred to as:

Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

The name doesn't have the same punch to it that "Good People Die" does, but I'm sure I'll get used it.

More importantly, hype hype! I should be able to pick up a Vita by the time this releases and then I'll be all over it.

vall03

should have put "999 sequel" or "Good People Die" in the thread title :)

agreed, was wondering what the hell this thread was about based on the title. Was going to ignore it until I accidentally clicked it. The new title sounds weird though, would've loved if "Good People Die" was the subtitle.

Very cool.

Just curious, were there any differences between the 3DS and Vita versions, other than the obvious? 999 on DS
had a really cool dual screen moment.
Any neat uses like that or is it the same game?

wtf did I just read? A babblefish translation?

So is this the good people die game everyone was hyped about a few days ago with the horrid plasticky visuals?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Day zero. Will platinum this game to hell.

jony_m

Good job Aksys picking this up and announcing it while the hype is still high.

Will preorder for Vita when avail.

Not as good a name as Good People Die, but what's in a name, really? I'm ridiculously excited for this game. I need it in my hands right now.

Hellraider

This must the be the first time I read the whole PR announcement talk for a game.It was pretty unique.

Yesterday I got 999's last ending which was also the true one and I'm definitely hyped for the sequel.I loved the characters and the story.Had some minor problems but it was a great experience nonetheless.

Let's hope something will be done for PAL-Land this time.At least we have the region free vita version.

Big B

How's Virtue's Last Reward a better marketable term than Good People Die? >_<

but yeah, trophies version for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
• Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.
I am not worthy. :bow:

I already know I'm buying both versions. Inject them into my veins!

Jintor

Good People Die was a much better name but I appreciate retailers might not want something quite as blunt as that on shelves. :)

Whelp between this and Persona 4 Golden looks like I'm getting a Vita

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way, are the trophies hard to obtain?

Bebpo

Banned
Very cool.

Just curious, were there any differences between the 3DS and Vita versions, other than the obvious? 999 on DS
had a really cool dual screen moment.
Any neat uses like that or is it the same game?

Vita has slightly better or worse controls since you can directly touch things whereas 3DS you use a virtual mouse on the touch screen to touch things on the top screen. 3DS you can look at files/objects on one screen and the room on the other whereas Vita you change between the two. Vita has better graphics hands down (higher resolution, AA, clean IQ, better screen), but lacks the 3d depth which is just used for characters to stand in front of the background when talking.

Basically almost identical and get whichever version you have the system for. If you have both, either go for the 3d effect or better graphics/bigger screen. Or you like trophies/achievements, it's a no brainer; get the Vita one. There's a full 50-ish + platinum.

By the way, are the trophies hard to obtain?

IIRC you need all endings and stuff. Probably time consuming.

Cool, I'll probably pick it up for 3DS though if I don't have a Vita by then.

EDIT: I haven't played 999 but I did enjoy many of the other point-and-click games on DS...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Regarding the name, while "Good People Die" is a nice literal translation for one of the meanings of "Zennin Shibou desu", we and Kotaro Uchikoshi wanted to keep with the dual meaning that the Japanese title originally possessed.

Thus "Virtue's Last Reward" was born
which Kotaro Uchikoshi also really liked and approved of :)

The series branding, "Zero Escape", also happens to possess a dual meaning too ;)

Thoraxes

HOLY FUCK I GET CHIAKI OMIGAWA!

I LOVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

<3

Top Bottom