• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: April 10th Doll Presentation [up: video with subtitles]

I'm hoping we learn some more about the Affinity system soon. I really would like to see them expand it from Xenoblade.

Cross x Douglas <3

chadboban

I'm hoping we learn some more about the Affinity system soon. I really would like to see them expand it from Xenoblade.

Cross x Douglas <3

Well we know for sure that this was the last presentation before launch. I feel we'll learn about these things in weekly website update though.

Cross x Lao.
They both look good in spandex <3

Mat-triX

One thing i'm interested in hearing about is an equivalent to Gem crafting. I understand you can mine for materials, but I don't remember hearing about what you do with them...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wouldn't. That's only a day after the nintendo direct. I'd give it to early in the week for the first video to come out.

They had the last one out about a day later, but their schedules must have allowed them to get it out that fast, they usually have a first version to get the main dialogue out the way and then release a 2nd full version which has the things written in the video translated.

foxuzamaki

imo i think its a downground. but if what other people are saying that the first trailer is CG then that explains it and now i have no more complaints. Still pretty weird seeing a CG trailer imitating an in game engine (guess im use to games like FF using obvious CG).

I doubt that was CG, doesnt look CG at all, maybe prerendered. I dont think it was downgraded, just different variables in general plus it was a random recreation of it, the E3 one was a planned thing where they had everything they wanted in place to show it off, this looks like it was done at the same time they were doing the animations for the presentation, which is small things done for the sake of presentation and not representative of what it would be like in the full game.

chadboban

One thing i'm interested in hearing about is an equivalent to Gem crafting. I understand you can mine for materials, but I don't remember hearing about what you do with them...

I don't know about gem crafting but in the battle presentation they confirmed that weapons and armor have slots that you can equip gem like items to, except in this game they're called "devices". So maybe you can craft your own devices

Cross x Douglas x Lao polyamorous love trio.

Perhaps you can say they'll go

foxuzamaki

I don't know about gem crafting but in the battle presentation they confirmed that weapons and armor have slots that you can equip gem like items to, except in this game they're called "devices". So maybe you can craft your own devices

You know, I hope iyakku uploads the soundtrack like Gappears did with xenoblade.

Xbro

I don't think Nintendo would let CG cutscenes be in the budget for the game. The ground textures on the scene look a bit worse, but everything else can be attributed to differences in the scene(time of day, new objects etc.)

I feel like I see this a lot. (Most recently with The Witcher 3) People see the same scene at a different time of day or a different effect going on and say it's downgraded.

In an open world game where there is a day and night cycle and weather, and the cutscenes take place in real time there are variables that can change how a scene looks. Doesn't mean it's downgraded. There are differences between the two trailers for sure, but none of them mean that the game's been downgraded.

And like I said before, the shots where you see the close up of the character's legs clearly take place at slightly different places in the same room since the stuff in the background is different in each one yet when we get the zoomed out view, the overall composition of the room is still the same.

I'm pretty sure this is spot on.

As annoying as it is, I don't really blame them. We've gone many, many years with publishers lying to all of us about their games and their looks and quality, and so on. Even the smallest things now seem to set people off.

Overall, I haven't seen Monolith over promising on things, especially looks. It really doesn't seem like much of an issue, and it may only be in this one area. The rest of what we have seen of the game have been clear improvements, it's just priorities are more about the world you're going to explore than that one hangar bay you may spend a couple of minutes in. People did a similar thing about the city and cars and how boring, dull and flat it looked compared to something like GTA where the appearance of a city and cars is more important and prioritized.

Mhm, but honestly, it's not justified at all here.

[General argument address commence] In the end, the scene LOOKED better in the E3 trailer. Was it downgraded? Probably not. Everyone is jumping to some strong conclusions over one scene with tons of uncontrolled variables. Cross' armour was smoother to add to his appeal, not his armours appeal, night/day, I don't know what else, but literally EVERYTHING in this game has looked better over time, so 'downgrade' doesn't fit the narrative or the overall evidence. In this case it's something we chalk up to 'differences' and move on. We all know the game is going to be damn awesome so superficial arguments

I do. I understand. Night time makes things more clearer, even sharper, like the tower because there's less interference from the sun which normally makes the image look a bit softer. It could be the case in the other comparison too. Either way, I can't wait for the game it looks gorgeous.

In this case I'm pretty sure the difference in clarity can be chalked up to video recording/playback quality.

They're called 'devices' We've seen them in the Battle Direct. Although I don't know about creating them, I would assume there's some much more in depth process than the Xenoblade gem crafting. Doesn't make much sense to have devices yet not being able to create them yourself.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm pretty sure this is spot on.

Mhm, but honestly, it's not justified at all here.

[General argument address commence] In the end, the scene LOOKED better in the E3 trailer. Was it downgraded? Probably not. Everyone is jumping to some strong conclusions over one scene with tons of uncontrolled variables. Cross' armour was smoother to add to his appeal, not his armours appeal, night/day, I don't know what else, but literally EVERYTHING in this game has looked better over time, so 'downgrade' doesn't fit the narrative or the overall evidence. In this case it's something we chalk up to 'differences' and move on. We all know the game is going to be damn awesome so superficial arguments

In this case I'm pretty sure the difference in clarity can be chalked up to video recording/playback quality.

They're called 'devices' We've seen them in the Battle Direct. Although I don't know about creating them, I would assume there's some much more in depth process than the Xenoblade gem crafting. Doesn't make much sense to have devices yet not being able to create them yourself.

Yep! That's exactly what I've done. It's just different and there's not much to really dwell on.

There's some weird discrepancies. The background looks different in the close ups of the main character, but the overall scene looks to be the same area in the zoomed-out section. It still looks better in the old footage to me, so I wonder why they changed it.

I think we all know the reason why: stability. I know some people think this is some kind of conspiracy expose (and what that proves, I have no idea), but the simple answer is they had to cut back on some details after filling the world in. The first E3 trailer was very early. Nothing more to it than that.

This shouldn't be compared to offenses committed with multiplatform titles dumbing the graphics down to the lowest common denominator (at great expense to PC versions). This already is the lowest common denominator. Xenoblade X is tailor-made to the Wii U's capabilities, warts and all.

wmlk

Yeah, the game looks worse in that scene and for those who are saying it's a day/night thing, there's no natural lighting in that hangar at all from what we can see.

But the game looks a ton better in the new footage after E3 2014 and as a whole, it's been a big upgrade.

And really, we don't need to say "everyone" is jumping to conclusions when there's been multiple people saying that the game overall looks a lot better.

Renewed

Well, the video won't be ready for a few hours still, had some minor problems. But here's the transcription/translation. Should be close enough to what we use for the subs.

It's appreciated! Assuming it's up tomorrow morning I'm gonna finally show my brother what's up now that I won't have to explain what's going on.

chadboban

Yeah, the game looks worse in that scene and for those who are saying it's a day/night thing, there's no natural lighting in that hangar at all from what we can see.

But the game looks a ton better in the new footage after E3 2014 and as a whole, it's been a big upgrade.

And really, we don't need to say "everyone" is jumping to conclusions when there's been multiple people saying that the game overall looks a lot better.

I do agree, that scene certainly looks better in the E3 trailer. As to why, well to be honest, we're all kind of pulling stuff out our ass here as to why, "downgrade-wise", it looks better.

I honestly do believe the scenes are different but not because Monolith decided to downgrade. Sure some mechs are missing but if you look up at 0:14 you can actually see something moving on across the walkway that wasn't the E3 2013 trailer. And it's not like the game can't handle 4 dolls on screen at once since we can see that in the gameplay. So IMO, this is just a case of a scene playing out differently than what was originally shown, not necessarily a downgrade.

I feel I need to apologize to everyone though. Hope I didn't seem too defensive over this whole thing.

Well, the video won't be ready for a few hours still, had some minor problems. But here's the transcription/translation. Should be close enough to what we use for the subs.

Sweet! And don't worry about how long it's gonna take. We just appreciate that you guys take the time to do these things for us non Japanese speakers :)

Overside

Banned

Its definately changed.

The outfits changed, from one I thought was cool to one I cant stand.

The creatacharacter model has changed from cool mysterious guy to the red headed derpy mcsmoosh face.

And things are just.... different, hes not walking on the same portion of the floor he was walking on in the original, in the original the red floor lights were on his left side, and in the new one they are on his right side, and the video starts with him just finishing a step over the only interesting texture in the shot (The raised up floor grate thing).

The general texture direction has been changed from being horizontal on screen to the direction of movement (Good idea!) to being vertical on screen to the direction ofmovement (Bad idea!)

I think camera angle has changed slightly, and its doing the bump layers no favours, combined with having no actual geometry on the ground to break up the flat blah texture monotony like the original did. (It still had some blah textures, but man, that grate did a lot for me lol) And it definately looks like the textures have been crushed since then, guess they were running out of rom space? A lot of 'machine junk' has been removed from the hangar as well, along with a fog/haze effect.

I dont see much lod switches at all compared to all the switching in the first vid... But I think id rather have the lod switches here and there, than get the second vid with no lod switches.

Oh well. I mean, I can still hop in a giant freaking transforming robot, fly out of the city and fight freaking space dinosaurs.

chadboban

The outfits changed, from one I thought was cool to one I cant stand.

Understandable.
I prefer the better view of DAT ASS personally.

The creatacharacter model has changed from cool mysterious guy to the red headed derpy mcsmoosh face.

The "Mysterious Guy" could have very well been "derpy mcsmoosh face" with black hair since you never actually see his face.

And things are just.... different, hes not walking on the same portion of the floor he was walking on in the original, in the original the red floor lights were on his left side, and in the new one they are on his right side, and the video starts with him just finishing a step over the only interesting texture in the shot (The raised up floor grate thing).

I actually never noticed that. You have a good eye.

The general texture direction has been changed from being horizontal on screen to the direction of movement (Good idea!) to being vertical on screen to the direction ofmovement (Bad idea!)

I think camera angle has changed slightly, and its doing the bump layers no favours, combined with having no actual geometry on the ground to break up the flat blah texture monotony like the original did. (It still had some blah textures, but man, that grate did a lot for me lol) And it definately looks like the textures have been crushed since then, guess they were running out of rom space? A lot of 'machine junk' has been removed from the hangar as well, along with a fog/haze effect.

I think the fog/haze effect isn't gone, just toned down. I don't think the textures have been crushed though, I think it has more to do with what you said about the camera. I also think you meant to say RAM there and not rom lol. Everything else you said here is on point especially the horizontal vs vertical lines which I definitely see now that you've pointed it out.

I dont see much lod switches at all compared to all the switching in the first vid... But I think id rather have the lod switches here and there, than get the second vid with no lod switches.

Not quite to sure what you're talking about here lol, but overall I think you've done a better job than anyone else in describing why the E32013 scene looks better.

Oh well. I mean, I can still hop in a giant freaking transforming robot, fly out of the city and fight freaking space dinosaurs.

HELL YEAH!

Renewed

Sorry for the double post but I just saw this and goddamn I couldn't stop laughing. Someone put up a video of the presentation where he's comments on it via subtitles and I just got to this part and completely lost my shit. I won't spoil it, just be sure to keep watching

https://youtu.be/ddsBvR8lbnE?t=15m30s

I got interested in seeing what people had to say about the direct so I was browsing Youtube and also came upon this last night. That moment was pretty inspired!

Sorry for the double post but I just saw this and goddamn I couldn't stop laughing. Someone put up a video of the presentation where he's comments on it via subtitles and I just got to this part and completely lost my shit. I won't spoil it, just be sure to keep watching

https://youtu.be/ddsBvR8lbnE?t=15m30s
I haven't watched the entire direct yet, but the most interesting part is right afterward when they show that new old guy doing the party. He looks cool/hot.

Vena

My only complaint from what I've seen of the combat is that it seems that the guns lack a bit of "kick" to them to make them feel more visceral. The Dolls seem to have the kick to their weapons, its just the people's land weapons that seem to be a bit "light".

Lumyst

That song "The Way" is clearly a love song, but I actually have no idea which of the characters we know of so far could fall in love, haha

Also, those samples of the soundtrack have some really beautiful sounding stuff, there's one that sounds similar to Satorl Marsh at Night even (I'd say it sounds better too).

Lumyst

One of the characters apparently joined a union because he has a crush on Irina, or so I read.

That was from Guin's bio, right? I dunno, "The Way" clearly sounds way too intense for just a crush. Maybe it's just about the friendship between that magical girl and her monster companion, who knows :p

Finalow

HeavyElegantAnnashummingbird.gif

FlamboyantImmenseAmericankestrel.gif
into my veins.

TheMoon

The gem system is back, however this time it's data discs or whatever they're called. You use them just like gems. But we don't know of the actual "crafting" mini-game makes a reappearance.

The gem system is back, however this time it's data discs or whatever they're called. You use them just like gems. But we don't know of the actual "crafting" mini-game makes a reappearance.
I don't know if it'll be exactly the same as the gem crafting, but one of the Arms Company functions listed on the site are commissioning them to make Devices for you, using 'materials' gathered around the planet.

TheMoon

I don't know if it'll be exactly the same as the gem crafting, but one of the Arms Company functions listed on the site are commissioning them to make Devices for you, using 'materials' gathered around the planet.

I hope you don't just leave them at the desk at let some intern do the fun shouting game. :)

Top Bottom