• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

ReBirFh

We do have young genius kid in real world though. And who knows, in future we will had young kids being genetically enginered to grow older faster and being smarter than the older generation.

I know, it was the combination of characteristics that caught my attention. They could use the "she is a robot/android" as an excuse to give her some armor with cleavage.

I can already see myself 150h in, searching the world for the left foot of the dragon armor.

Adios life.

Her eyes, high intelligence (mechanically oriented), young age and even the weapon she uses makes me think she is a Cyborg/Android.

This post is kind of hilarious considering Xenosaga. This isn't a spoiler either.

iHO87DJ.gif

Yea, you can see the debris flying off after the monster jumps at the player. Also note the absence of the left arm stabilizing the gun arm while firing after the monster attacks.

Beautiful. Combat will be fantastic. I can see now. Cat ear and swimsuit wearing space Shulk inside an armless doll running from a thrown boulder.

moolamb

I know, it was the combination of characteristics that caught my attention. They could use the "she is a robot/android" as an excuse to give her some armor with cleavage.

I can already see myself 150h in, searching the world for the left foot of the dragon armor.

Adios life.

Luckily for you, feet are lumped together as 'bottoms'.

Searching for the left arm on the other hand...

Esque7

Tatsu and Lyn are so incredibly annoying, and the lyrics in the songs ruin them. The game just has a too much anime influence for my liking, but everything else looks great. So conflicted, but I'll probably still pick it up.

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
The translation was great, but I will forward the final version with the English menus to friends. They don't even know about the combat presentation yet. The wait is getting harder, and when Japan gets it I not going to look at fan playthoughs. I will only look at remaining trailers and the inevitable E3 Treehouse Live.

Although I appreciate that there's going to tons of things to do in X, I will not try to 100% it like I tried to with XC. I'm going to join 2-3 Unions and focus on those quests. Likewise with promoting 2-3 arms companies. That's it. I'll explore as much as I can, but if I miss sidequests too bad. The class system invites experimentation, so I'll see how the new mechanics fit into a fighting style that I end up with.

I'll try out the online, and if trading is allowed that will see some use. But this game will be incredible single player. The music I admit has been a mixed bag. I'm not familiar with Sawano's prior work, and vocals can be interesting in game music. But I don't know of any other adventure/rpg game in which they appear in every other track. Some of it has been quite catchy, but to me it runs the risk in which the gravitas of some key scenes may be dampened somewhat due to some JPOP in the background. Also, the uninitiated might be thrown off big time because its a niche sound. Still, I'll reserve judgement when I have the game in my hands.

I don't understand complaints about X or XC series being anime influenced as a detriment. Its a JRPG, of course its going for the anime look. Same with Final Fantasy, same with Tales, Ys, Fire Emblem or the like. Japanese developers now have the daunting task of trying to make console JRPGs sell like they did in the late 1990s Golden Age. Its not supposed to look like Elder Scrolls. Some people say that there is a disconnect between the environment and the characters, but I don't see it.

Hopefully the next video is just as long.

Verger

Banned
Tatsu and Lyn are so incredibly annoying, and the lyrics in the songs ruin them. The game just has a too much anime influence for my liking, but everything else looks great. So conflicted, but I'll probably still pick it up.
I agree. And I know everyone will point out that Xenoblade 1 was super anime influenced, and maybe it was so, but it wasn't this "annoying".

In Xenoblade one, yes the characters and their models didn't look anything special, but they didn't look like plastic "dolls" which is what Elma and Lyn look like.

The music was nice and melodic with ambiance which fit the world of exploration. Here so far we've seen mostly annoying Jpop-inspired Engrish rubbish.

Also I'd probably give credit to the British VA for making the dialogue bearable and "charming" in the original. I cannot say for certain I'd feel the same way if we had the usual suspects of Anime dubbing (Steve Blue, JYB, Yuri Lowenthal, etc.) do their thing since they're so overplayed and they always play the same roles with the same voices, yet I'm expecting them in this game. ugh.

Fandangox

I Some combat moves look really cool, but outside combat the animation of the characters look very stale and emotionless.

Well I haven't watched the battle direct yet, but since the game will have the same type of cutscene as the first, i.e in-game one for most dialogue and slightly upped ones for "action" cutscenes, we will probably see most of the characters's range of emotion on those.

It was similar in the first Xenoblade, I initially thought the faces were horrible, but they grew on me the more I played, I thought they were good for showing emotion at least.

This post in gamefaqs has a comparison of both types.

X Will probably have the character show a fairer range of emotion on the "plot cutscenes" At least.

Verger

Banned
Well I haven't watched the battle direct yet, but since the game will have the same type of cutscene as the first, i.e in-game one for most dialogue and slightly upped ones for "action" cutscenes, we will probably see most of the characters's range of emotion on those.

It was similar in the first Xenoblade, I initially thought the faces were horrible, but they grew on me the more I played, I thought they were good for showing emotion at least.

X Will probably have the character show a fairer range of emotion on the "plot cutscenes" At least.
LOL, seriously SMH at Lynlee, I haven't seen her facial expression change ONE bit in any video I've seen of her, it's always the freaking same?!? It's so jarring during these videos to hear her VA show different levels of tone in her voice but her face remains utterly plastic.

Overside

Banned
I agree. And I know everyone will point out that Xenoblade 1 was super anime influenced, and maybe it was so, but it wasn't this "annoying".

In Xenoblade one, yes the characters and their models didn't look anything special, but they didn't look like plastic "dolls" which is what Elma and Lyn look like.

The music was nice and melodic with ambiance which fit the world of exploration. Here so far we've seen mostly annoying Jpop-inspired Engrish rubbish.

Also I'd probably give credit to the British VA for making the dialogue bearable and "charming" in the original. I cannot say for certain I'd feel the same way if we had the usual suspects of Anime dubbing (Steve Blue, JYB, Yuri Lowenthal, etc.) do their thing since they're so overplayed and they always play the same roles with the same voices, yet I'm expecting them in this game. ugh.

Tanaka's creepy cherub face character designs illicit this response everytime they resurface. Certain people love them, everyone else is creeped out, but gets over it.

The gamehas over 90 sound tracks, we have barely heard any, but of the few we have heard without lyrics, they are pretty awesome, like the music from the first trailer.

Switch to the japanese voice track with subtitles?

All that stuff was great with Xenoblade, it was really fantastic. But lets be honest. All that cosmetic fluff doesnt amount to a runny pile of diarrhea dog crap compared to the core of the game, which was amazing, and Xenoblade X is blowing away.

Its FLUFF, it was great fluff, but it was not remotely close to being what made the original Xenoblade great. Xenoblade was a great GAME. Not disembodied character designs, vo, and sound tracks.

Fandangox

LOL, seriously SMH at Lynlee, I haven't seen her facial expression change ONE bit in any video I've seen of her, it's always the freaking same?!? It's so jarring during these videos to hear her VA show different levels of tone in her voice but her face remains utterly plastic.

Well at least we can put a helmet on her lol.

Yeah Lyn is really the only one that strikes me at looking irredeemably bad. Douglas looks plain, much better in his artwork, but already getting used to how he looks.

Was the creature design in Chronicles this cool???

Obviously it didn't have the tech but besides that.

Or is it a noticeable upgrade all around???

It was pretty cool yeah. XCX is a big upgrade and looks even better. But the first game had some awesome creature designs.

Art direction is one of the strong points in these games.

random25

Well at least we can put a helmet on her lol.

Yeah Lyn is really the only one that strikes me at looking irredeemably bad. Douglas looks plain, much better in his artwork, but already getting used to how he looks.

I think we better wait for actual cutscenes in the game where Lyn gets more screen time to see more facial expressions from her. I like her overall
it's not what you think, don't call the police yet :p
, we just have to see more of her other than the overview videos where the animations for everyone are fixed.

Esque7

The translation was great, but I will forward the final version with the English menus to friends. They don't even know about the combat presentation yet. The wait is getting harder, and when Japan gets it I not going to look at fan playthoughs. I will only look at remaining trailers and the inevitable E3 Treehouse Live.

Although I appreciate that there's going to tons of things to do in X, I will not try to 100% it like I tried to with XC. I'm going to join 2-3 Unions and focus on those quests. Likewise with promoting 2-3 arms companies. That's it. I'll explore as much as I can, but if I miss sidequests too bad. The class system invites experimentation, so I'll see how the new mechanics fit into a fighting style that I end up with.

I'll try out the online, and if trading is allowed that will see some use. But this game will be incredible single player. The music I admit has been a mixed bag. I'm not familiar with Sawano's prior work, and vocals can be interesting in game music. But I don't know of any other adventure/rpg game in which they appear in every other track. Some of it has been quite catchy, but to me it runs the risk in which the gravitas of some key scenes may be dampened somewhat due to some JPOP in the background. Also, the uninitiated might be thrown off big time because its a niche sound. Still, I'll reserve judgement when I have the game in my hands.

I don't understand complaints about X or XC series being anime influenced as a detriment. Its a JRPG, of course its going for the anime look. Same with Final Fantasy, same with Tales, Ys, Fire Emblem or the like. Japanese developers now have the daunting task of trying to make console JRPGs sell like they did in the late 1990s Golden Age. Its not supposed to look like Elder Scrolls. Some people say that there is a disconnect between the environment and the characters, but I don't see it.

Hopefully the next video is just as long.

It's really only the characters for me. The enemy design is superb and very detailed, but then you have these doll-like, emotionless characters with HUGE eyes and ear-grating voice work. It's really a huge contrast that doesn't sit well with me, but hopefully I'll be able to look past some of it. However, you can have a JRPG without it being super-generic anime influenced, so that is most definitely not an excuse. FFXII is a great example.

alvis.exe

Was the creature design in Chronicles this cool???

Obviously it didn't have the tech but besides that.

Or is it a noticeable upgrade all around???

I enjoyed the creature design in XC but I am LOVING the creature design in XCX. The first game definitely had a more fantasy feel to it with a lot of designs having more obvious real world inspiration. (Vague spoilers regarding endgame stuff)
Which actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it!

casiopao

Adios life.

Lol, wont robot showing clevage end up giving us another kosmos or telos again lol.

I don't agree though.(my own personal opinion)
I feel that lyn and tatsu show the chemistry of good friends one who tease the others lightly for fun. Those kind of thing is not what we call anime style. It is real life.

For the lyrics, it is going to be interesting. I am a huge sawano fan from unicorn and team medical dragom but i can see where u come from.

Hope it will be as good as TWEWY ost as that one also had tons of lyrics.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Anyone who played the original xenoblade knows damn well these characters arent going to be "emotionless". Its the same people who worked on XBC but with even better tech at their disposable.

casiopao

It's really only the characters for me. The enemy design is superb and very detailed, but then you have these doll-like, emotionless characters with HUGE eyes and ear-grating voice work. It's really a huge contrast that doesn't sit well with me, but hopefully I'll be able to look past some of it. However, you can have a JRPG without it being super-generic anime influenced, so that is most definitely not an excuse. FFXII is a great example.

FF12 is not a good example of good story at all though. Who is the mc is my biggest question when i finish the game lol.

Lilo_D

For me, I prefer Japanese voice for all jrpg.
I still remember how bad I feel when I found I can't switch voice in Persona 4 vita lol

foxuzamaki

This is nintendo treehouse we're talking about here, we're talking about kid icarus uprising levels of dub quality, with skyward sword levels of dialogue.

Esque7

Lol, wont robot showing clevage end up giving us another kosmos or telos again lol.

I don't agree though.(my own personal opinion)
I feel that lyn and tatsu show the chemistry of good friends one who tease the others lightly for fun. Those kind of thing is not what we call anime style. It is real life.

For the lyrics, it is going to be interesting. I am a huge sawano fan from unicorn and team medical dragom but i can see where u come from.

Hope it will be as good as TWEWY ost as that one also had tons of lyrics.

What I mean by anime style is Lyn's design and voice work, same with tatsu (mainly his voice). The anime trope of a young girl with an extremely high pitched voice and a rather large bust is off putting. It's like all those DS games where you have a girlfriend and use the touch screen. That style is what I'm talking about. There's ways to have a tease, lighthearted relationship without making the characters so generic and annoying. I imagine the English dub will be better though in that regard (hope to god a British cast again)

Edit: I loved TWEWY, every part about it. The soundtrack really fit the style of the game. I'd put it as one of my top games of all time.
Anyone who played the original xenoblade knows damn well these characters arent going to be "emotionless". Its the same people who worked on XBC but with even better tech at their disposable.

Even with the better tech, they went with DOA style doll faces that really create a disconnect with the voicework. The VA can be amazing, but when it poorly matches the faces of the characters, it can be weird.
FF12 is not a good example of good story at all though. Who is the mc is my biggest question when i finish the game lol.
I wasn't really referring to the story, rather the character design. FFXII didn't go for the typical anime style used so heavily today. Even with the tech of the PS2 and a large world, the characters looked and sounded great (mainly due to great art direction). Though yes, the game could have done without Penelo or Vaan, they sucked and served no purpose.

Overside

Banned
Even with the better tech, they went with DOA style doll faces that really create a disconnect with the voicework. The VA can be amazing, but when it poorly matches the faces of the characters, it can be weird.

They didnt go with DOA doll faces, they went with Xenosaga/Xenogears doll faces.

https://chargedblast.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/xeno-misc01.jpg
https://pretentiouslatintitle.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/shion1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JxPSSOK.jpg

Ugh, too much creepy, de-embedded the images.

Yes, lots of people find them creepy. Youll get over it as you begin to associate the game and all the things you like about it, with the characters in it.

foxuzamaki

What I mean by anime style is Lyn's design and voice work, same with tatsu (mainly his voice). The anime trope of a young girl with an extremely high pitched voice and a rather large bust is off putting. It's like all those DS games where you have a girlfriend and use the touch screen. That style is what I'm talking about. There's ways to have a tease, lighthearted relationship without making the characters so generic and annoying. I imagine the English dub will be better though in that regard (hope to god a British cast again)

Edit: I loved TWEWY, every part about it. The soundtrack really fit the style of the game. I'd put it as one of my top games of all time.

I wasn't really referring to the story, rather the character design. FFXII didn't go for the typical anime style used so heavily today. Even with the tech of the PS2 and a large world, the characters looked and sounded great (mainly due to great art direction). Though yes, the game could have done without Penelo or Vaan, they sucked and served no purpose.

Ok, a few things here, Lyn's voice is hardly that high pitched, infact it sounds like what you think a 13 year old japanese girl sounds like, you really need to look at more anime if you think her voice is that high pitched and large bust? what? No seriously, what?

About the "DOA doll faces" this is nothing like the artstyle of the DOA faces, idk why you even made the distinction, its based off the artstyle of a particular artist that monolithsoft has worked with for years and the artist wasent picked to make girls sexier or however you see it.

casiopao

I don't really feel lyn bust is big but that maybe only me as i feel it is on normal size especially for 13 years old.(anecdotally here, some of my female junior high school friend developed more than lyn there.)

For the VA, i feel that u dont really like jp VA there as mariya ise have done a lot character. From young assassin to psychopath in gundam. Having Mariya Ise doing lyn should be a great chemistry as she love adding her own color for the character she does.

But if u want heavier voice, i believe the dub will be more suitable for u.

If u are talking about character artstyle, i can't disagree more here. Ff12 for me had one of the blandest MC and penelo i hate so much for her design. Only balthier actually looks nice and that is also because he is Balthier.

I see this character artstyle to follow more on star ocean,xenosaga,phantasy star or valkyrie profile art style which in a way had their own charm.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
the new subtitles really helped me appreciate the game's writing and humor

Also really like the "humanity's struggle for survival" theme they seem to have chosen

moolamb

I'm curious why 'anime' is being thrown around as a pejorative term... It's an extremely popular form of media that plenty of Japanese and international youth consume.

I'm trying to think of a western equivalent... but I certainly wouldn't hate something because it reminds them of - not a genre - but a whole section of the mediascape.

This game has mecha anime all over its DNA. And that gets me hyped.

jb1234

I'm curious why 'anime' is being thrown around as a pejorative term... It's an extremely popular form of media that plenty of Japanese and international youth consume.

A lot of people (like me) are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with anime. I really liked Xenoblade because while it had its share of JRPG cliches, it was relatively light on the anime ones, partly because of the writing and partly because of the localization (the British cast being a refreshing change of pace). X is veering dangerously close to Xenosaga territory for me, a series that ultimately drowned in its anime angst.

Overside

Banned
A lot of people (like me) are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with anime. I really liked Xenoblade because while it had its share of JRPG cliches, it was relatively light on the anime ones, partly because of the writing and partly because of the localization (the British cast being a refreshing change of pace). X is veering dangerously close to Xenosaga territory for me, a series that ultimately drowned in its anime angst.

No, its not.

It has the same character designer, and thus the cheruby faces on certain character types, and thats it.

Thats literally it. What you are experiencing, is a textbook example of something known as a halo effect, or in this case a reverse halo effect, or devil effect.

Takahashi specifically said shonen manga was an inspiration for Xenoblade's story, so I don't see how a general anime inspiration in X is a huge departure from that.

I'm trying to think of a western equivalent... but I certainly wouldn't hate something because it reminds them of - not a genre - but a whole section of the mediascape.

This game has mecha anime all over its DNA. And that gets me hyped.
Every Xeno iteration has been heavily influenced by mecha anime. I'm not sure why it's suddenly an issue either.

random25

JRPGs in general have anime/manga DNA all over them since the old days. I dunno what's wrong with having anime influences in games really, especially when they are made by Japanese devs.

Overside

Banned
JRPGs in general have anime/manga DNA all over them since the old days. I dunno what's wrong with having anime influences in games really, especially when they are made by Japanese devs.

The first jrpg's from falcom eenix and square jrpg's were all love letter homages to ultima and wizardry, western crpgs.

I mean, Think about it, how often is the term 'Ultima' used in final fantasy.... And how often is it something super awesome? A lot and every time?

Although you are probably talking about art style huh... Yeah, that makes more sense.

Esque7

The character's faces are my main issue. They look like dolls, dead-eyed dolls. This facial style has been used quite a lot in animes, and I think it just looks really poor. For some reason this style looks even worse than normal to me in X, so I really do wish they would have gone with a better art style for the faces. There's anime with great face designs and there are JRPGs running on much less powerful hardware with better designed faces.

Voicework wise, I'm just not a fan of the overdramatic delivery or unnecessarily high pitched schoolgirl voices that are ever so popular. So really its just Tatsu and Lyn that bother me, but I imagine this will be changed for the western release.

random25

The first jrpg's from falcom eenix and square jrpg's were all love letter homages to ultima and wizardry, western crpgs.

I mean, Think about it, how often is the term 'Ultima' used in final fantasy.... And how often is it something super awesome? A lot and every time?

Although you are probably talking about art style huh... Yeah, that makes more sense.

Aside from the art style of course. I mean, yeah older ones have influences from Western RPGs but over time Japanese influences on entertainment have infused on JRPGs and blended well. Some examples:

- Exaggerated expressions
- Hyperbolic animations from attacks
- Ridiculous types of weapons or armor
- School life
- Having cute mascots with a pretty good importance in games
- Power of friendship
- Love stories that resemble patterns from manga or anime
- Character stereotypes

Anime style has always been in there in on most, if not all, JRPGs. I don't really see any problem with that to be honest.

Overside

Banned
Aside from the art style of course. I mean, yeah older ones have influences from Western RPGs but over time Japanese influences on entertainment have infused on JRPGs and blended well. Some examples:

- Exaggerated expressions
- Hyperbolic animations from attacks
- Ridiculous types of weapons or armor
- School life
- Having cute mascots with a pretty good importance in games
- Power of friendship
- Love stories that resemble patterns from manga or anime
- Character stereotypes

Anime style has always been in there in on most, if not all, JRPGs. I don't really see any problem with that to be honest.

hyperbola2.gif

Im not sure what kind of jrpg has attack animations like this... But I kind of want to play it now...

Tanaka's cherub faced character designs have always had these kinds of polarizing reactions. The only time they didnt, was in gears, where the games res was too low to see that they did it to ellies portrait.

People blanket it with 'anime' because they dont know how else to express it. It creeps them out, and its an anime style.

I can sort of see where people are coming from in terms of being tired of specific tropes. For example, I roll my eyes whenever I see a Western RPG set in the middle ages of Europe (or Euro-inspired fantasy kingdom) with elves, orcs, trolls, fairies, knights, wizards, witches, goblins, dwarves, dragons, etc with a white male protagonist and a busty female side-kick you can sleep with.

Lyn is quite trope-y. She does have a high voice by Western standards, I suppose (and if it truly bothers you, avoid Japan because you will hear much worse). She certainly isn't busty, not even for her age, although it is little off-putting that adults may chose to dress her in a way to expose her cleavage. I found Chrom's sister much more annoying and tropey in FEA than Lyn so far and she was dubbed fine as far as I am aware. I certainly haven't heard any complaints specifically about her.

Esque7

I can sort of see where people are coming from in terms of being tired of specific tropes. For example, I roll my eyes whenever I see a Western RPG set in the middle ages of Europe (or Euro-inspired fantasy kingdom) with elves, orcs, trolls, fairies, knights, wizards, witches, goblins, dwarves, dragons, etc with a white male protagonist and a busty female side-kick you can sleep with.

Lyn is quite trope-y. She does have a high voice by Western standards, I suppose (and if it truly bothers you, avoid Japan because you will hear much worse). She certainly isn't busty, not even for her age, although it is little off-putting that adults may chose to dress her in a way to expose her cleavage. I found Chrom's sister much more annoying and tropey in FEA than Lyn so far and she was dubbed fine as far as I am aware. I certainly haven't heard any complaints specifically about her.
Chrom's sister was pretty horrible for me. In general, I liked the designs of FE:A's characters but I skipped through/didn't like a great deal of the dialogue. It was definitely too trope-y for me. Luckily I stayed for the gameplay which I love.

Can I just say, I'm absolutely despising all the (engrish) vocal tracks in this game.

After the GOAT Xenoblade OST it's really such a hype killer :(

random25

Well for one Lyn's voice will certainly have one that will cater to the Western audience, and the others as well. So I'm not seeing the worry of people getting annoyed at her voice when they'll most likely hear a new one when localized version arrives. The only thing I'm worried about is Western voice acting tend to be mellow so it might lose the "energetic" character Lyn is trying to portray here. As for her appearance, she looks pretty normal physique-wise for her age. Hopefully her "skimpy" look would resemble Melia's, which is more conservative compared to her counterparts just to avoid jailbait lol.

duckroll

Every Xeno iteration has been heavily influenced by mecha anime. I'm not sure why it's suddenly an issue either.

Judging from how the sales for Xeno games have cratered since Xenogears, I'll say it's not "suddenly" an issue. It's not like these complaints are new, they're expressed every time a new Xeno game comes out. I think it's clear that general audiences have gotten more tired of stuff which double dip on anime tastes since the 90s.

If anything, Xeno probably doesn't pander enough to the demographic, so it's stuck in an inbetween sort of space where people who don't like anime style tropes and designs will find it a turn off, and those who are super into that sort of stuff like Tales and Persona don't find enough of it to latch on to strongly. That makes it a harder sell I think.

Chaos17

Hahaha, tv series have also a lot of melodrama and tropes XD

moolamb

A lot of people (like me) are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with anime.

Hmm.... I don't know if you realise what you mean by 'anime'.

Saying that is like saying "A lot of people are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with movies."

I just wanted to reiterate that though there may be a few things in common across all anime -- such as the fact that they are drawn -- its genres and styles are as varied as Western TV drama.

ReBirFh

Hmm.... I don't know if you realise what you mean by 'anime'.

Saying that is like saying "A lot of people are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with movies."

I just wanted to reiterate that though there may be a few things in common across all anime -- such as the fact that they are drawn -- its genres and styles are as varied as Western TV drama.

Maybe but there isn't as much variation in drawing styles.

TheMoon

iHO87DJ.gif

Yea, you can see the debris flying off after the monster jumps at the player. Also note the absence of the left arm stabilizing the gun arm while firing after the monster attacks.

Quoting myself, I'm just now realizing that the player switches guns after the arm got ripped off. And the arts palette has arts relating to the machine gun crossed out since it seemingly requires both arms to be present to to stabilize the gun. So if your Doll gets fucked up, you might lose out on some valuable arts. Very very interesting.

You know, those dialogue parts from the directs are not in-game. They are like a basic model (of mostly lyn and tatsu) in front of a background with very basic animation and jarring cuts to different poses. The example you quoted uses screenshots from those. The first minute of the latest direct is like that, but then it cuts to in-game dialogue (which could be the dynamic kind, but it looks like their basic 'dialogue' animations to me).

But it's true that in the first Xenoblade you'd also have the regular dialogue, where the in-game models stood with a few of animations they would use (like Reyn bumping his fist into his other hand, or loosening his shoulder) and loop. The cut-scenes were indeed way more dynamic with emotion and animations.

FryHole

You know, those dialogue parts from the directs are not in-game. They are like a basic model (of mostly lyn and tatsu) in front of a background with very basic animation and jarring cuts to different poses. The example you quoted uses screenshots from those. The first minute of the latest direct is like that, but then it cuts to in-game dialogue (which could be the dynamic kind, but it looks like their basic 'dialogue' animations to me).

But it's true that in the first Xenoblade you'd also have the regular dialogue, where the in-game models stood with a few of animations they would use (like Reyn bumping his fist into his other hand, or loosening his shoulder) and loop. The cut-scenes were indeed way more dynamic with emotion and animations.

Yes, much of the dialogue stuff we've seen in the battle trailer was apparently made especially for it.

[Kojima]Looking forward to tomorrow's Battle Presentation! We're actually animating Elma, Lyn, and Tatsu - who will be the presenters - specially and specifically for the video. We thought about this a lot, without meaning to; changing their positions around and so on.

Whether or not similar stuff appears in the final game is anybody's guess, I haven't seen anything like it in the treehouse footage.

Top Bottom