• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

Esque7

Ok, a few things here, Lyn's voice is hardly that high pitched, infact it sounds like what you think a 13 year old japanese girl sounds like, you really need to look at more anime if you think her voice is that high pitched and large bust? what? No seriously, what?

About the "DOA doll faces" this is nothing like the artstyle of the DOA faces, idk why you even made the distinction, its based off the artstyle of a particular artist that monolithsoft has worked with for years and the artist wasent picked to make girls sexier or however you see it.

I've never witnessed real Japanese school girls talk, but if they really do speak that high pitched then it's just something that is too foreign for me. I've never met anyone irl who talks that way. In regards to her bust, I just hope they don't give her too much revealing armor and such. The size could honestly be worse too. The whole young schoolgirl thing is just so overplayed I can't really handle it anymore. The waifu stuff and oversexualization of females (especially ones who are underage or are drawn to look underage) for absolutely no reason really creeps me out, and it unfortunately is present in many games and anime.

And I think you know what I meant by DOA style faces. I've never played Xenogears/saga so I'm not too familiar with that style, but it's clear that both styles have plastic, doll-looking faces with rather dead looking large eyes. It was a major complaint of the DOA series up until 5, and it's one of my complaints with this game. Just because this artist has been around for a while doesn't mean his style (At least in regards to faces) is particularly good.

rhandino

Banned
I care A LOT about it, it was one of my favorite parts of the original and I am happy that they changed enough to make it feel fresh again while adding a ton of different options to use. Also it appears that planning is going to be more important this time so I am perched to fight some high level enemies.

So far I love everything I saw in the last days and I am very happy about the rest of the characters revealed, Elma is amazing so let me stan for her and hope that she could be included in the next Smash game...

inbf4 she is this game Fiora LOL

random25

I feel like the only person here who care about the battle system. :\

Well every Xenoblade X thread gets derailed by face complaints lol.

On the topic of battle system, I hope each class has an extensive set of arts. It would be fun to play every class and master different combinations of arts.

A lot of these actually look pretty good. It's all in the eyes. Also I know that 1st artstyle form somewhere....

So it seems like all the TP using arts have the TP symbol on them. I wonder if there's a move to use all TP in exchange for scaled HP or something. Could be fun.

You guys think Tension will only be used for arts and revival at this point? It's pretty much a party gauge. Or might tension bonuses be back?

Hiltz

It seems like characters in X don't have a more unique play style as in the first Xenoblade, like how Shulk and Melia's play style were very different from each other.

Verger

Banned
A lot of people (like me) are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with anime. I really liked Xenoblade because while it had its share of JRPG cliches, it was relatively light on the anime ones, partly because of the writing and partly because of the localization (the British cast being a refreshing change of pace). X is veering dangerously close to Xenosaga territory for me, a series that ultimately drowned in its anime angst.
Same here.

Here's the thing for me. I don't mind the "anime" influence. The problem I have is that it almost always is exclusively "SHounen" anime that "inspires" JRPG writing. I liken the writers of JRPG games to those who couldn't cut it in the manga/anime business. And the tropes that are put into play are those you could in any chapter/episode of Naruto/Bleach/OnePiece.

Someone brought up The World Ends with You in regards to soundtrack. Please god no. Bad Engrish bad! :p But again, the storyline in that game was pretty much a shounen manga storyline through and through from the protagonist and side characters to the antagonist and overall plot.

Take Namco's "Tales" series. I started playing that before I ever really started watching anime (with Phantasia way way back when, and then Symphonia in the early 2000), those are pretty much copy/paste love letters to shounen anime and they make no excuses about it, which suits their audience well. Me personally though I grew out of that and no longer can tolerate the writing of that series, and were I to go back and play Symphonia for example I doubt I could stomach the overplayed tropey storyline and characters.
Oh god...And I see the creepy Lyn fanart phase has begun :(

FryHole

It seems like characters in X don't have a more unique play style as in the first Xenoblade, like how Shulk and Melia's play style were very different from each other.

Well, it's a sci-fi setting rather than outright fantasy so things are (slightly) more grounded. There's still lots of different weapon types and more emphasis on vertical positioning and body damage.

Oh, and in terms of play style I suppose there is the ever-so-minor matter of being able to switch between attacking on foot and in a bloody great hulking mech on the fly during battle.

Overside

Banned
The concept arts were probably just as good but it translated poorly to 3D model.

You know, if this was the first time this art style had been used, and if it didnt look like this in 2d depictions as far back as Xenogears portrait of ellie, I might consider this.

But it looks the same in 2d:
sofia.jpg

Its clearly the same style used above, and itranslated faithfully in 3d in Xenosaga.

Xenosaga%20-%20Shion%20et%20Kos%20Mos.jpg

And is used exactly the same way in X:
latest

They are nailing 100% the look they want. Its a polarizing look a lot of westerners have a negative reflexive reaction too.

I dont like it. I didnt like it in gears with the portrait of ellie, I much preferred her in game portraite, which was in a different style. But that didnt affect the entire game for me. I didnt like it in Xenosaga, in fact, I dont like Xenosaga much at all. But it wasnt because of the character designs being tanakas cherub faces.

The problem is, a LOT of people are also associationg the look of Xenosaga charcater designs, with the obnoxious melodrama of Xenosaga which is something that is very clearly not happening with x, which is continuing Xenoblades mantra of positive characters who are likable, as opposed to obnoxious whiny garbage like Shion or your geeric whiny emo jrpg protagonist. But Halo effects are powerful, not rational.

The problem is, a LOT of people are also associationg the look of Xenosaga charcater designs, with the obnoxious melodrama of Xenosaga which is something that is very clearly not happening with x, which is continuing Xenoblades mantra of positive characters who are likable, as opposed to obnoxious whiny garbage like Shion or your geeric whiny emo jrpg protagonist. But Halo effects are powerful, not rational.

I've yet to see anyone other than you, trying to tie the character designs of X together with your hatred of Saga. Even then, it was only Saga 1 that had the artstyle that you so clearly hate, it changed for each of the next 2. Most of the complaints about the faces are from people who haven't played any of them and incorrectly label Blade as a "series" that they never played and think the artsyle is new, or have made it known that they just don't like anime.

It's also not safe to assume that X will continue with how Blade's characters were. We know next to nothing about the story and how the characters will play out in it, something that we won't know until people start leaking spoilers from the Japanese release. I'd honestly say that it's very doubtful that this game won't have "obnoxious whiny garbage" or "generic emo jrpg protagonist". Fuck we haven't even heard the voices in a language most of us can understand yet, these characters are going to be more than the "dolls" that so many seem to think they look like.

It seems to me that people also react so negatively to the faces (in 3D) because they look so plastic and 'unhuman' and because it's a 'next-gen' game it looks jarring. Well, I'm mostly thinking of that one person that posted in a xenoblade thread recently about the models looking like PS2 models.

rjinaz

Oh god...And I see the creepy Lyn fanart phase has begun :(

Genuine question. How are any of those images creepy? It's a fictional 13 yr old girl character from a video game, being drawn in perfectly appropriate ways. As far as I can tell, it's only creepy if you imagine the intentions were creepy which you have no way of knowing.

Genuine question. How are any of those images creepy? It's a fictional 13 yr old girl character from a video game, being drawn in perfectly appropriate ways. As far as I can tell, it's only creepy if you imagine the intentions were creepy which you have no way of knowing.

The only thing "creepy" about it seems to be the waifu title for his post. Honestly wondering how any of those could be considered anything close to creepy when they actually seem to match her character.

^ yes 'waifu' for Lyn is creepy

you have to think it to feel it

it is not creepy to us because we do not have that perspective

he could just be overreacting and being dramatic about the idea of a 13 year old girl who shoots big guns and rockets at 40 foot tall alien life

also at 13 wtf is Lynlee doing out on the battle field it makes it hard to take this game seriously her role and age don't mix

Verger

Banned
The comment was a exaggerated response to the overall general direction that fanart eventually takes.

But fine, enjoy yourselves. Let this derail end.

there is a pic with what seems like up-rooted plants shaped like Tatsu it looks like a giant potato with a leaf on top that is the same shape as Tatsu's hat so he looks just like that thing which could be food in that world

sensui-tomo

eh start a fan art thread for X

I want to talk about why a 13 year old is out there in battle

Probably same reason in naruto that they used child soldiers/ninjas(in bright orange).. eh I'll just go with humanity using whatever they have on hand and most capable people doing specific roles.

Wait so is Tatsu not a playable character? Can we eat Tatsu? What about Van Damme? I'm glad Lao is playable though.
Tatsu will definitely be eaten, but until then he's just a tag along that doesn't fight.

We don't know about Van Damme yet. He isn't in the centre of the relationship chart like most of the playable characters, but the last direct introduced some new playable characters that aren't either.

probably to research/gather information on enemy's Doll? she's an engineer and involved with the Doll development afterall

Probably same reason in naruto that they used child soldiers/ninjas(in bright orange).. eh I'll just go with humanity using whatever they have on hand and most capable people doing specific roles.

the common thing about Naruto and Lyn being 13 is Naruto manga is targeted at that age group

as a child I always loved the stories that had adults like Robotech's Rick Hunter I did not see him as my age

but plenty of other stories at the time had things like a boy and his robot

at 13 Lyn is the engineer as an adult playing this is becomes harder buy into that world
Xeno-IP always had really young female characters? I think that was a thing in Xenogears? I was not into the IP back then just trying to find the link for Lyn here

Naruto's world makes more sense for them to start out that young as Ninjas

sensui-tomo

the common thing about Naruto and Lyn being 13 is Naruto manga is targeted at that age group

as a child I always loved the stories that had adults like Robotech's Rick Hunter I did not see him as my age

at 13 Lyn is the engineer as an adult playing this is becomes harder buy into that world
Xeno-IP always had really young female characters? I think that was a thing in Xenogears? I was not into the IP back then just trying to find the link for Lyn here

Xenogears did have a younger character iirc and that CHUCHU thing. I'll wait to judge lyn's age once they explain more of the world and how things are (like if people do start at an young age in the military due to .. well war reasons) otherwise it'll just be a character who is a kid. Do note, all I know is what i've seen in the combat video (i've been for some parts doing a media blackout (poorly) and the only things i care about are the Dolls(Gears/mechs/Not orbital frames) and multiplayer info .

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Idk what it says about me but it didn't think twice about Lyn being so young, yet fighting basically for her life regularly.

Vena

This is nintendo treehouse we're talking about here, we're talking about kid icarus uprising levels of dub quality, with skyward sword levels of dialogue.

Treehouse Internal are some of the best localizers in the business. Treehouse as a whole is probably one of the best things Nintendo/NoA has done in a long time.

B.K.

Idk what it says about me but it didn't think twice about Lyn being so young, yet fighting basically for her life regularly.

I don't really see a problem with it either. Humanity is basically extinct and on an alien planet where everything is trying to kill them. In a situation like that, it would make sense for basically everyone to fight for humanity in some way.

There is no "Xeno-IP". Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade are all separate IPs. Don't mix in the good Xeno stuff with Xenoblade.

While Lyn being an engineer at 13 is pretty unrealistic, there are instances of child prodigies in our world who are enrolled in and possibly graduating college at that age. In a fictional, scifi setting, it isn't outside the realm of possibility (look at stories like Ender's game). As long as she is presented as a prodigy, I don't see an issue.

TheMoon

Oh come on already. Give me a break. Lyn's child prodigy thing is a non-issue in this universe where multiple alien races decided to have a war on our porch and then hunt us down while we escaped on gigantic ark ships holding entire towns.

You know what was way dumber? Rebecca Chambers graduating college at 18 as a super biochemistry expert joining up with a special police task force. Now that was some BS in the fairly grounded early series universe lol.

I was using hyperbole. I don't even usually think about the 'waifu' thing, I don't know in what context you guys usually use it in, but I meant it more as hey look cute art of a girl, not oh I'm in love with her. I didn't even remember she was 13. While mentioning her age though, I don't really understand how a fictional 13 year old fighting makes it hard to take a game seriously. It's a minor detail, and it doesn't change the game.

Battle system looks much more intricate, detailed, and like it gives us more options this time around. It's obviously faster too. I don't really have many more thoughts on it right now. I don't mind it at all, I don't hate it, but I don't think I love it either. I'm completely ambivalent about the battle system, with perhaps a slight lean to the positive side. It works, so I'm not complaining, and it's from such a good overall game so that definitely has some positive influence.

Cant wait for the OST when this games get released in Japan.
I am not going to listen to all the tracks of course but it should be a good warm-up for all the epicness this game is going to provide hmmmmm.....

rjinaz

I was using hyperbole. I don't even usually think about the 'waifu' thing, I don't know in what context you guys usually use it in, but I meant it more as hey look cute art of a girl, not oh I'm in love with her. I didn't even remember she was 13. While mentioning her age though, I don't really understand how a fictional 13 year old fighting makes it hard to take a game seriously. It's a minor detail, and it doesn't change the game.

Battle system looks much more intricate, detailed, and like it gives us more options this time around. It's obviously faster too. I don't really have many more thoughts on it right now. I don't mind it at all, I don't hate it, but I don't think I love it either. I'm completely ambivalent about the battle system, with perhaps a slight lean to the positive side. It works, so I'm not complaining, and it's from such a good overall game so that definitely has some positive influence.

I always understood waifu to mean "wife". So basically if you say Lyn is your waifu, you are saying you'd marry her, a 13 yr old, she's your true love.

All that being said, I think the term is thrown around rather loosely as you showed, you thought it just meant cute Japanese girl. Personally I think this is a fictional character from a video game and I really don't care what people think about her, so carry on I say.

Guys, the child genius thing isn't the biggest suspension of disbelief in this game. That honor belongs to the fact that they escape Earth in 2054.

Let me repeat that, in less than 40 years we will be able to create Giant Robots and fly to distant galaxies while transporting a city.

That is just stupid.

What sucks is that Xenosaga was smart enough to have people start leaving the Earth in 2510 with the game taking place hundreds of years from that. Why they don't didn't do this for Xenoblade X confounds me.

rjinaz

Guys, the child genius thing isn't the biggest suspension of disbelief in this game. That honor belongs to the fact that they escape Earth in 2054.

Let me repeat that, in less than 40 years we will be able to create Giant Robots and fly to distant galaxies while transporting a city.

That is just stupid.

What sucks is that Xenosaga was smart enough to have people start leaving the Earth in 2510 with the game taking place hundreds of years from that. Why they don't didn't do this for Xenoblade X confounds me.

Yeah I realized that as well. I had to wonder why they would choose a date so close to us. No way any of that is happening in just 40 years. They should have added 100 years minimum. Maybe it's like an alternate universe type of thing.

Ulysses 31

That is just stupid.

Is there anything in the lore to suggest Eath in the games has gone through the same events of 'our real' Earth?

Is it unreasonable to assume that in the Xenoblade Earth mankind didn't have pointless wars and that co-operation and mutual understanding were held in higher regard among countries?

Top Bottom