• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

wanders

dszvpp.gif

Overclock Gear reminds me of the Limit breaks in Final Fantasy 8 (You can activate it when the group is low on health)
Why do I have the feeling that pro players are going to reach insane combos with this mode and find exploits in the game....

I love the motion blur when the monster drops

Hiltz

I'm a little confused. That gif of the mech fighting against the giant ape monster looks like it is dodging the monster's leap attack in real-time, so is that what's happening? Cause the B button prompt appears right after he dodged the attack instead of before it.

TheMoon

I'm a little confused. That gif of the mech fighting against the giant ape monster looks like it is dodging the monster's leap attack in real-time, so is that what's happening? Cause the B button prompt appears right after he dodged the attack instead of before it.

B button prompts aren't quick time cutscene-style events. The mech got hit and lost its left arm.

B button prompts aren't quick time cutscene-style events. The mech got hit and lost its left arm.

well it sure is not a QTE but kinda strange to have Soul Voice during Doll battles
hopefully next months stream clears this up

this is the first time I've seen a Doll lose a part we already seen it cut a tail off a monster so this is a cool touch

well it sure is not a QTE but kinda strange to have Soul Voice during Doll battles
hopefully next months stream clears this up

this is the first time I've seen a Doll lose a part we already seen it cut a tail off a monster so this is a cool touch

In my theory, B botton ≠ Soul voice, it's actually Soul stage system, but will induce player-controlled character to call out soul voice. They've barely show anything about soul stage system in depth.

Overside

Banned
Just doing some bored digging, and decided to look at something I always though was weird...

And that was the acronym B.L.A.D.E.

Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator.

Particularly the word 'Logos', which seemed cheesy and out of place with the first and most common definition I associated with it being of course, for some reason despite having so many meanings, were those little doodles companies slap on their products.

We were artificially going beyond the trademark. Emancipation from product placement.

So I began looking up some other definitions I remembered and it really began to snowball, there is so much more, but I pulled out the ones that jumped out to me as possible xeno material.

Greek: Thought.. or word? I believe the actual term is 'I say'

'For Aristotle, logos is something more refined than the capacity to make private feelings public: it enables the human being to perform as no other animal can; it makes it possible for him to perceive and make clear to others through reasoned discourse the difference between what is advantageous and what is harmful, between what is just and what is unjust, and between what is good and what is evil.'

Squidbutts are evil.

This logos holds always but humans always prove unable to understand it, both before hearing it and when they have first heard it. For though all things come to be in accordance with this logos, humans are like the inexperienced when they experience such words and deeds as I set out, distinguishing each in accordance with its nature and saying how it is. But other people fail to notice what they do when awake, just as they forget what they do while asleep.

—Diels-Kranz, 22B1

Listening not to me but to the logos it is wise to agree that all things are one.

—Diels-Kranz, 22B50

Yeah, well, we are going to go beyond all things. Artificially, with our giant freaking robots.

Philosophy:

In Stoic philosophy, which began with Zeno of Citium c. 300 BC, the logos was the active reason pervading and animating the universe. It was conceived of as material, and is usually identified with God or Nature.

Theology, Logos: the Word of God, or principle of divine reason and creative order, identified in the Gospel of John with the second person of the Trinity incarnate in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Logos incarnate according to John.

As nontrinitarian Arian theologians taught:

God the Father created the Logos as a divine being before the creation of the world. The Son of God was subordinate to God.

And of course how can we bring up religion in a xeno game without some good old gnosticism:

In Gnosticism the Logos is associated, or often paired with Sophia or wisdom. In Valentinianism Logos & Sophia are a syzygy, or pair of aeons. The 'Fall of sophia' and subsequent rescue by the Logos is a major theme in Gnosticism and appears in the Pistis Sophia. Valentinius c.100 – c.160 was said to be the first to introduce the 'Three Hypostases' of Platonism into Christianity and identified them with the Father, Son and Spirit. The Logos was fully identified with the Son and Christ. “Logos” in Gnostic culture is usually associated with "Sophia". "Eventually Sophia was completely fused with Christ. Wisdom became Logos, and explicit associations between Sophia and Jesus disappeared from Christianity." Within "Wisdom Was Made Flesh" Elizabeth Johnson, the author of the essay, states that masculine logos took over womanly wisdom "as it became unseemly, given the developing patriarchal tendencies in the church, to interpret the male Jesus with a female symbol of God"

To artificially go Beyond the word of god?... We shall be as gods.

Jungian Psychology: The principle of reason and judgment, associated with the animus.

"In so far as the spirit is also a kind of "window on eternity"... it conveys to the soul a certain influx divinus... and the knowledge of a higher system of the world, wherein consists precisely its supposed animation of the soul."

In Jung's approach, logos vs eros can be represented as "science vs mysticism", or "reason vs imagination" or "conscious activity vs the unconscious".

Could Jung be our philosopher for this title? Could squidbutt be eros?

To artificially go beyond the collective unconcious.

LOGO is a high level programming language debuted in 1967 derived from the greek word logos for thought, I remember being taught basic computer programming with it back in elementry school. To distinguish itself from other programming languages that were primarily numbers, not graphics or logic, oriented languages, it named itself after the greek word for thought.

Found this one interesting, because of the fact that everything shulk does with the monado- *OG Xenoblade Soilers*
is directly based off of the Monad in functional computer programming. Shulk cant fight. At all. He programs his awesome into existance with the help of a reality editing user interface device that kinda looks like a laser sword. Shulk wasnt the chosen one to save the world, he was chozen by Zanza out of convenience to be a patsy, Zanzas mistake was he chose a host, that would end up being capable of comprehending and utilizing computer logic on at least a subconcious level: Shulk was a military scientist/engineer, and Zanza gave him access to a user interface device that could program reality.... He kinda figured it out. Whoops. Thinking back on certain cutscenes, and things said and done, Im thinking Egil could have probably used the monado himself... Had he aquired it, or managed to grab the one Meyneth dropped that zanza snatched out of his outstreched hand.
Beyond computer programming. Singularity? Pretty much everyone in X appears to be a cyborg already... Will there be turtle bots?

Yeah, I had some fun. Think I have an idea of what to look for to get a grip on the real story thats underneath every xeno game for X now.

TheMoon

Just doing some bored digging, and decided to look at something I always though was weird...

Particularly the word 'Logos', which seemed cheesy and out of place with the first and most common definition I associated with it being of course, for some reason despite having so many meanings, were those little doodles companies slap on their products.

Important there is the distinct pronunciation: it's "loggos" (as in a log of wood or your backlog) and not "lowgoes" (as in those symbols representing companies). :D

I'm certain that in one of the video presentations, they explained 'Beyond the Logos' to mean 'surpassing the word of god(s)' so the acronym is meant to stand for 'Human-made destiny emancipator [that exists?] beyond the word of God'.

TheMoon

why do they need to say Beyond the Logos
why not just say Beyond Logos

that way BLADE is not BtLADE

does THE change the meaning of Logos?

That's not how acronyms work. Articles and prepositions are only ever included in them if they are vital to spelling out the desired word.

They clearly are ERROR.

it just bugs me because the thing is already a mouthful to say, and it is suppose to be the key to the hidden part of the story at least the trend in all Xeno stories as Overside points out.

I rather have them use engrish than to try too hard to get correct grammar forced into it just to end up getting it wrong anyway

besides they year X takes place language would have evolved
this is Sci-Fi play with all of that

That's not how acronyms work. Articles and prepositions are only ever included in them if they are vital to spelling out the desired word.

yes I understand the rule but in sentence form do we really need the the?

The United States of America = U.S.A. ack bad example because USA is not trying to be a word lol

but for some reason Beyond the Logos bugs me
I guess I feel if you are going to put the to support Logos and have nothing else but Artificial Destiny Emancipator drop the the or balance it out better

see:

Beyond the Logos our Artificial Destiny Emancipator here I feel better

unless "Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator" is a physical thing?
what is The Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator?

so the sentence means to Go BEYOND this THING what ever it is

FryHole

The United States of America = U.S.A. ack bad example because USA is not trying to be a word lol

I guess I feel if you are going to put the to support Logos and have nothing else but Artificial Destiny Emancipator drop the the or balance it out better

see:

So how about them faces, eh?

I kid

Overside

Banned
I'm certain that in one of the video presentations, they explained 'Beyond the Logos' to mean 'surpassing the word of god(s)' so the acronym is meant to stand for 'Human-made destiny emancipator [that exists?] beyond the word of God'.

Yeah, I remember that one, its what got me tinking.

In Christianity it literally means the word of god.

In Xenoblade,at least 5 different definitions of the monad were combined and used in the game, from the concept of the world (The monad begat the diads) to the monado itself with the monad of functional computer programming, gnostic vs pythagorean religious/scientific beliefs of the monad (Bionis and Mechonis) to the philosophy behind the games story, Leibniz's monadology, its metaphysical concept as the monad as the least irreducable molecule of ether of which reality is comprised of, its Idealism, denying things in themselves (besides monads) and multiplying them in different points of view. Monads are “perpetual living mirrors of the universe.” Yeah, Alvis said that line pretty much word for word. Monadology's optimism, through the principle of sufficient reason:

a) Everything exists according to a reason (by the axiom "Nothing arises from nothing");
The party struggles with this one throughout the game.

b) Everything which exists has a sufficient reason to exist;
Shulk really feels this one.

c) Everything which exists is better than anything non-existent. Existance is the best possible being in the best of all possible worlds.

Logos seems like a pretty good launch pad to go in several directions and bring them all together, like the monad in the previous game.

see:

I think of B.L.A.D.E. simply as an organization name to match with Xenoblade, and the acronym a random jumble of words that may have significance.

idalarian

(...)

Yeah, I had some fun. Think I have an idea of what to look for to get a grip on the real story thats underneath every xeno game for X now.

Very interesting post! Never thought so far into the whole monado thing. I thought so things didn't make sense or were too far-fetched by the end of the game.

I could read an essay about that for sure!

Valus

-.- still? No. Obviously not.

Have you watched any of the numerous hours of footage/trailers/demos/etc? This is a Takahashi game.

Still what? No, I haven't watched them. Hence my question. The only thing I've heard about the story is that they crashed on another planet. And some tease about a metal face. Please tell me what else you know?

FryHole

Still what? No, I haven't watched them. Hence my question. The only thing I've heard about the story is that they crashed on another planet. And some tease about a metal face. Please tell me what else you know?

I would think the "still" arises due to this being a common (and curiously persistent) concern ever since even the possibility of multiplayer raised its head. In truth we have a (somewhat infamous) story trailer back at E3 with cut scenes and drama galore, and each of the extended not-Directs so far have concluded with ominous story developments. That is, as The Moon says, they're not forgoing the story - it's a Takahashi. We don't know much in the way of details, but we know it's there.

TheMoon

I would think the "still" arises due to this being a common concern ever since even the possibility of multiplayer raised its head.

Indeed. It's become almost as bad as the "omg the faces" or the music debate. I'm glad the "so this is like Monster Hunter?" has died down at least.

Yes we don't know many details but there'll be a buttload of story, that's for damn sure.

At least 2 out of the 8 hours will be footage already seen in the treehouse demo and videos on official website. lol

I hope nothing major happen at the beginning like the first game. I watched the beginning of Xenoblade before playing it and was like "WTF"

what
they blew up the Earth
has already been shown
the rest is like 40 minutes after meeting Elma

I am kinda tempted to just order one of those WiiU bundles to play it myself lol

8 hours is the most I will give myself to watch a let's play before US release

moolamb

Back to the battles... I've just been reading through Gessenkou's translations and damn this soul voice mechanic is a pretty interesting system.

Ranged Start - While initiating battle with Ranged weapon equipped

Type A: “Volley fire! Keep it going!” - +50% dmg
Type B: “I’m starting with Ranged! Back me up here!” - Support Art Level+1
Type C: “Debuff them! Let’s win this!” - Debuff Art Level+1 & Guarantees Debuff

Risk HP - When your HP drops below 60%

Type A: “I didn’t take it seriously… Sorry, I could use healing!” - Soul HP Recovery Amount +50%
Type B: “Let’s change our strategy, give me some Support!” - Support Art Level+1
Type C: “Support Art please! I’m not doing well!” - Target of gains +250TP/Rarely +500TP

It seems like a really lively way to spice up battles, having chatter actually be an important part of the fight. I can imagine this working well in multiplayer too.

This cracks me up... GO ON WITHOUT ME!

Knocked Out - When you’re knocked out during battle

Type A: “Don’t worry about me! You need to keep attacking” - Each Hit +500TP
Type B: ”Damn, is this it?... ...Everyone, keep it Ranged” - Each Hit +300TP
Type C: “It’s up to you... Make a stand with an Aura” - Adds “Invincibility III” Effect

chadboban

Back to the battles... I've just been reading through Gessenkou's translations and damn this soul voice mechanic is a pretty interesting system.

It seems like a really lively way to spice up battles, having chatter actually be an important part of the fight. I can imagine this working well in multiplayer too.

Damn I love the sound of the soul voice mechanic so much.

Can't wait for iYakku's full translation video. I completely understand why it's taking so long though. That was one hell of a menu heavy presentation.

Zero²

Type A: “Don’t worry about me! You need to keep attacking” - Each Hit +500TP
Type B: ”Damn, is this it?... ...Everyone, keep it Ranged” - Each Hit +300TP
LoL you can clearly see the cowardliness on the second one compared to the first one, specially with the smaller TP bonus xD
Man this is all so clever, wonder why no one actually thought about it before, with hundreds of MMORPGs around.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Zero²;155879425 said:
LoL you can clearly see the cowardliness on the second one compared to the first one, specially with the smaller TP bonus xD
Man this is all so clever, wonder why no one actually thought about it before, with hundreds of MMORPGs around.

Remember, nintendo themselves is or rather has helped takahashi when it comes to the gameplay side of things, they made takahashi concentrate rather heavily on gameplay in xenoblade, and it looks like they took it even further in this one, to the point that I think I get even further what takahashi was saying about OG xenoblade being more of a experiment for this one.

Top Bottom